Chapter 8
27 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Warmth surrounded Shay, comforting and protective. He snuggled closer in to feel that warmth more, curling up his body so that he was more surrounded. That warmth started to retreat from him and he clung to it, letting out a small whine from the back of his throat.

He was laid down on something that was soft but cold. He scrunched his brow and tried to force his heavy eyelids open. His fingers were pried from the warmth and once no part of it touched any part of him, he was finally able to open his eyes and see...

The Sun God leaning over him, holding a thin white sheet in his hands.

Shisu’s eyes widened as they met Shay’s. Shisu cleared his throat and said, “sorry about the girls, they just like to mess around, they don’t mean any harm.”

He finished laying the blanket on top of Shay and took a step back. Then, without another word, he turned to leave.

“Wait!” Shay called out, sitting up. He grabbed Shisu’s arm, shaking at his own audacity. Shisu looked back at him, thankfully only holding curiosity in his eyes. “Did you...” Shay forced himself to ask, “did you stop the rains?”

Shisu fully turned back to Shay, raising his eyebrows and tilting his head to the side, “why do you care? Those people tried to kill you.”

Shay’s grip on Shisu’s forearm loosened subconsciously. He bit down on his bottom lip and looked away, “I guess I just don’t want my death to be in vain...”

“But you’re not really dead.”
Shay’s eyes snapped back to Shisu’s face. Shisu put his free hand on top of Shay’s head and stroked his straight black hair. “Xxx whisked you away before the knife could take you. Though I suppose you ended up in the same place anyways so there isn’t much difference.”

Shay swallowed, “still... will you stop the endless rain and shine upon your people again?”

Shisu’s hand trailed down from Shay’s hair to hook under his chin. He lifted Shay’s chin and smiled at him, “I could be persuaded.”

*

No one would dare stop the oldest wife of the Sun God as she walked the streets of Heaven on some errand. In fact, few would even dare to look at her. Shisu had killed lesser gods simply for the crime of making one of his brides uncomfortable. He cared deeply for his beautiful flowers, plucked at their prime and offered to him and so the denizens of Heaven were forced to treat them with the same fear and reverence they treated Shisu with.

This wide berth made Imoha’s errand exceedingly easy. She could openly walk down main streets, disappear down a few alleys for a ‘detour’, then reappear at a craftsman’s shop to buy herself a hair ornament or perhaps a fun, little trinket for Oro to play with. Even if they noticed odd movements no one would dare follow her or even speak of them. No gossip about her actions would ever reach the ears of those who could speak it. And if it did Imoha would have bigger fish to fry.

She made her way to the backdoor of Edia, goddess of fate and karma. She didn’t knock or announce herself but simply walked in. 

As expected, Xxx was present, sitting on the floor with his knees to his chest and a hand on his cheek. She chucked the bruise ointment at him and went over to where Edia sat on a lounge chair. Imoha dropped herself into Edia’s lap and wrapped her arms around her neck.

Hey! I'm reviving my writing tumblr so if you are on tumblr you should check me out at ejwbooks! I'll likely be posting a lot of things there soonish including worldbuilding posts, pronunciation guides, glossaries of terms, maps and more! Also, and I hate to do this, but I recently murdered my laptop with a cup of tea so if you have a few bucks to spare and like my writing pls consider clicking on the kofi link below and sending a bit of help my way!

1