Chapter 14: The puzzle and the Blade
660 3 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 14: The puzzle and the Blade

 

His attempts at solving this puzzle started reaching high numbers.

Like this day passed, and he reached the first week since he reached the summit of Galena Mountain, struggling to solve the puzzle of where the sigils might have been located.

The food supplies he brought along from Picodras also ended, but he wasn't dejected in those moments, managing to get hits on all those days that he spent fighting this puzzle.

Apart from this, he also had a company he started to enjoy in Titania that brought his spirits up whenever he would resurface with a frown, getting stuck with one major conclusion about this challenge.

'Whoever created this puzzle must have been hit worse than I was in the head. I identified the walls with a flat polish to them, but this is like finding the needle, and I got to find two of them.'

'The lake also has a depth of 120 meters to add salt to injury. Fuck you, whoever built this "challenge". Your attempt of making it spicy doesn't help this blind man whosoever.'

"Fight Vlad! Don't give up on the search." shouted the little Fairy from the shore, seeing Vlad frowning, annoyed.

'Luckily, I have this adorable girl to keep my mood up. Otherwise, I would simply hit my head on the mountain and climb down.'

'Fuck that Sword. I already got one.'

'Here we go again. What attempt is this? Hah, I lost the count, maybe 82.'

Thinking that not expecting anything important to happen in this dive of his, he went in the direction of one wall touching it around with his hands.

Feeling the texture, something he did for each level, shift going deeper, and with a mentality that was indifferent to anything that was going to happen, he felt his hand entering deeper inside the wall of the lake.

The crackling of a mechanism opening up could be heard even at 80 meters by Vlad, who was shocked that he had almost lost his breathing.

'Was this the sigil that I just touched? Finally, luck strikes me. Let me remember the texture of the wall and mechanism.'

Swiftly, he stuck to the lake wall like a leech and began using his tactile senses to the maximum extent his senses, and when sensing his limit was reached, he began ascending to the surface, shouting like he had won the lottery, feeling the refreshing temperature of the lake once again.

"I finally found one of those tiny sigils! DO YOU HEAR IT LITTLE FAIRY? I FOUND ONE OF THOSE BUGGERS AT LAST!"

"I TOLD YOU THEY EXISTED!" shouted Titania, excited for Vlad's success, starting to jump on the greenfield while Vlad felt his spirit reinvigorated.

Vlad waited for his stamina to recover and again descended to find the last sigil, where he started swimming toward another wall, hoping this would be his path from this annoying and time-consuming puzzle.

Going on trying to find this sigil using the same method he did with the first sigil, Vlad didn't see any success, even after moving to all of the walls that consumed most of his day, and he couldn't understand where the remaining puzzle piece was.

His muscles went sore from diving and ascending, while his mind was tired from all the thoughts going at the same time in his mind, and annoyed by this stupid challenge once again, he dived directly to the Sword.

Grabbing hold of the handle, he started to pull it.

Nonetheless, he was just expanding his energy over a lost cause.

The Sword didn't give one millimeter of the ground as if it was fused with the ground.

'Where is it? It is already night, and I only have supplies for one more day before I will be required to hunt, which will lead to me encountering the "Guardian".'

'Where is it? I've tried each wall, each corner, each rock that I felt off, I've tried everything, but it didn't click.'

In his frustration, he decided to quiet down and no longer stress himself, lurking at the lake's deepest point.

Touching the ground with his legs and taking a seating position underwater as if he was trying to commit suicide by drowning, Vlad had something else on his mind, pondering about his surroundings.

Clearing out his unsound state of mind it immediately brought some benefits to his body, making it seem as if he could keep standing underwater without feeling the need to exit, and in that serene moment, he had a deja-vu, where this situation felt similar to a point in time he couldn't explain.

Vlad no longer rushed himself to get his reward, instead swimming toward the Sword he couldn't see that had some runes on its blade shining with dark light/

Getting on his feet, he stood upright holding the handle of the Sword, and with him positioning his feet in the correct position, suddenly the click he searched in a madded state was heard.

*Click*

*Mechanism opening*

From nowhere, with the position he never expected the sigil to be in, his left leg got deeper inside the ground, making him unbalanced, and feeling that he was getting shorter of breath because of everything going around him.

His hands held strong on the Sword's handle that still didn't budge. Yet, the sounds going underground, similar to a castle door being opened, made him realize that he still had to wait until everything was released, and without much time to wait, he resurfaced, hearing Titania's worried voice.

"Vlad, are you alright? You've spent more time than you used to do. If you want to take a break, we can search tomorrow. No need to hurry and get hurt in the process."

Vlad could hear the Fairy worry and also the cold breeze of the mountain that blew on his long wet hair, and while gazing at her, guiding himself using her sweet voice, he started laughing in a crazed manner.

"WUAHAHA."

Titania, finding it strange for Vlad to laugh in such a way, started flying toward him, landing on his head, asking again if everything was alright, but what she received was Vlad taking her from his head and kissing her face.

"My lucky charm. I told you, you will be my lucky charm since I've heard from the books I had people read for me that Fairies are bringers of luck."

"A-a-a-a. What got into you? Did water get into your head?" asked Titania with her face going into a cherry-red after Vlad ended his excited kiss on the beautiful woman that had a mystic charm to her, escaping from his palms and landing on his head trying to evade his hands.

"Yeah, in my ears in particular, but I will be fine.

I've done it, little Titania. I found the last sigil."

"After I gather my breath, I will dive for the last time to get my reward."

"Wait, you actually did it?" asked the Fairy, who couldn't believe what the young man she was standing on was mentioning.

However, moments later, she felt as if a weight got unbound from her tiny legs and instantly began celebrating with Vlad.

"I AM FREE! THAT CURSED CONTRACT HAS BEEN LIFTED!

YEEEYYY! YOU DID IT, MY CHAMPION!" said Titania, who began jumping on Vlad's head before she went into the air, releasing a bright light from her wings.

Soon the fireflies appeared from around the mountain, starting to light up the sky for the Fairy and the blind young man who couldn't enjoy the spectacle in the air.

Soon, Titania began singing in a magnificent voice that captured Vlad's attention, moving his eyes directed to the Fairy according to her voice and her song.

In her excitement, she flew toward Vlad and kissed his lips, acting airheaded but not forgetting to continue her song, accompanied by the fireflies.

'Such an interesting woman. Even though I can't understand a single thing she signs, it must be good. I get a joyful vibe from it. I will ask her later after she calms herself. Maybe I scoop some more kisses from her. Her saliva tastes like honey.

Hahaha, to think that I will once again enjoy being kissed genuinely at my old age. Come, little Titania, shower me with gifts.'

Vlad wasn't disappointed, the Fairy, along with her singing, would at unexpected intervals get to Vlad to kiss him with her tender lips, where he wasn't quick enough to take advantage of her, but once her song was over, she landed on Vlad's head, and lowering herself to his forehead, kissing his forehead.

"I can't remember for how long I've been here.

I don't remember who I am, but I can tell from the bottom of my heart, this is the happiest day and night of my life.

Thank you for freeing me. I don't know how to repay you."

"No need. It is fine. Helping you, by extension, is helping myself."

"No, I have to do something. You've allowed me to sleep in your warm bed even though I've done those bad things to you, the marks, sorry.

You allowed me to eat your delicious food, you've talked with me, telling me about yourself from the good and bad moments. I have to repay you, or I will go crazy."

*Chuckle* "Take it easy, little Titania. I've never heard you so consumed by something. You don't have to do anything for me. You've already done plenty by standing beside me, encouraging me not to give up."

"I will repay you either if you like it or not." replied Titania, who stood on his nose bridge, pressing her small forehead on his procerus.

"You don't have to."

"Wait, now that I am free, what will I do? I don't remember anything, where is my home? Doesn't this mean I am alone in this world?" asked Titania, who felt an existential crisis in those moments, starting getting panicked and scared.

"You might not know who you are, but I do know who you are. You are Titania. If you don't have a home, I can be your home." remarked Vlad in a warm voice, making Titania to stare with her pure golden eyes at his black eyes as if they were a contradiction of elements, light, and darkness.

"Won't I trouble you? Won't I be a nuisance?"

"Haha, little Titania, I am only a blind man. I can't offer you a gracious house worthy of a Fairy, only my oily hair and body.

I haven't told you, and I rarely tell people this, but I have a deep dislike for people I deem unworthy to talk with me. There were many that I ignored and turned my ears deaf to them, and you are one of the special ones that I listened to with curiosity."

"A blind man like me can't go to many places, even though I plan to explore the world searching for a cure for my eyes. If you are with me, you'll be my pair of eyes that I lack, lighting my path forward while we will also search for your past memories."

Hearing Vlad's confession from his shattered heart that was barely held into its spirit form, a part of himself that suffered a lot of defeats and disappointments in life, there was a new door created for a beautiful Fairy that was wetting his nose with warm tears, making it seem as if he was crying.

*Crying* "You think so highly of me that you made me cry already. I promise I will not be a nuisance and that I will be your eyes from now on.

Thank you for being with me right now, Vlad." mentioned Titania who continued to cry, while accepting Vlad's offer to join him from now on, making the latter to give a wide smile, also happy that he wasn't declined.

"It will be fine, Titania. We'll be able to see a lot of interesting places from now on." reassured Vlad, who brought his pinky to clear the Fairy's cheeks of tears.

While he caressed her face a bit, he sensed something approaching him from nowhere inside the lake, making him start swimming from harm's way, scarring Titania in the process, holding tight to his face.

"A false alarm? Wait, from where did that feeling that something was going to hit me come? I never experienced such a thing in my life, even when I fought those wild beasts."

"Vlad, look! The Sword has appeared to the surface." exclaimed Titania, who could see the Sword stuck at the bottom of the lake reveal itself for the first time even for her, who didn't know for certain what it was that she was watching over, seeming to levitate on the water surface.

"How does it look? Compared to my Sword?"

"Obviously you, silly, your Sword is scraps compared to this Sword.

It gives a strong feeling about it.

It releases a black light, while there are some symbols inscribed on the blade that shines with a dark light. I never expected the Sword to have such a spirit as if it is animated."

"Wait, little Titania. Could you vividly describe to me what the Sword looks like?"

"Sure. It is half your height, while the handle has some leather wrapped around it with a nice touch, and the blade is exactly as I told you. Sorry, I am not good at describing such things, weapons."

"We live and learn little Titania. Hold tight since I will start swimming in the direction of the Sword. Guide me."

"The hair?" asked the Fairy, as if she got the tutorial on how to control Vlad's buttons.

"What else?"

Titania nodded her small head, and jumping on Vlad's head, she went to grab a strand of hair from the top, back, and sides, acting like a Gundam pilot, directing Vlad toward the Sword.

Until she felt a strong repulsing force hit her and the young man, who remarked with a cold, interested voice, which told her a lot.

"Impressive to think there would exist such a thing. It doesn't want me to approach it, as if it has a soul and spirit, just like you mentioned."

"It probably has one. Be careful."

"Hmph, I was the one to release it. Does this scrap sword think can behave bossy around me?" commented Vlad, who took a deep breath later, telling Titania something she didn't like to hear.

"Titania, for your safety, go to the shore. I will face this rusted Sword on my own."

"No, you can't. I will be with you in this one. I will give you my strength."

"Come on, little Titania, don't be stubborn right now. You are strong in your own ways, but this repulsing wave is not something a gentle Fairy like you can handle."

"You wanna bet?"

"On what?"

"A kiss on the lips." replied Titania with a serious voice, glancing at the black Sword with some annoyance, feeling mad that even after Vlad suffered so many defeats and frustration, it still acted as if it didn't recognize Vlad as the rightful wielder.

"We got a deal, my lady." replied Vlad, who opened his abyssal eyes focused on where the Sword was levitating.

"Good, you better don't go back on the deal."

Vlad felt like snickering when he heard the Fairy so serious, but with his mindset changing, the more he waited, turning into a war mode.

He started swimming in the direction of the Sword while Titania was holding tight on Vlad's scalp.

The Sword gave off a strong black wave blast that hit Vlad head-on, making him feel his state of mind getting weaker, but not giving up on this fight, finding it pathetic that he could lose to a sword.

He forced his way closer and closer, where the pressure grew stronger, finding his body getting tired, but a gentle touch on his forehead revitalized him to the point it was enough to get to the sword handle and touch it.

"SWORD, I AM YOUR MASTER! ACKNOWLEDGE ME, AND I PROMISE YOU A BRIGHT FUTURE WHERE EVERYONE WILL FEAR OUR MIGHT!

I, YOUR MASTER, VLAD THE DRAGON, WILL HAVE A BRIGHT FUTURE WHERE I WILL WATCH DOWN ON EVERYONE FROM THE PINNACLE! NEVER TO TASTE DEFEAT IN THIS LIFE!"

As he shouted that, Titania, who held strong on Vlad's hair, felt an intense spirit coming from Vlad, and even she was shocked by the strong proclamation that promised greatness for both the Sword and himself.

Nevertheless, this clash of spirits and convictions between the young man and Sword, had Vlad get tired rather faster than he expected.

Not knowing how to explain this sensation he was experiencing, the Sword too lessened its resistance, and when he thought he would lose focus, the Sword stopped resisting, securing itself in his grip as if it allowed Vlad to win this fight of wills.

"You did it!" celebrated Titania seeing Vlad hold the black Sword while remaining unmoving and non responding as if he had gone unconscious.

Turning panicked, she jumped on his nose and started to tap on his Procerus, trying to get some response. She checked his nose and heard him breathe calmly, without showing signs that he was hurt, which immediately calmed her mind, placing her at peace.

'He might be having a talk with the sword right now.'

Once she returned back to his head, she started playing with his long wet hair, making braids, getting later on spooked by Vlad, remarking in a calm and collected voice.

"Arrogant bastard, that's how you behave with your new master? You didn't even want to talk with me like men, one on one, instead just sent out the things you can do.

Transforming forms regardless of weapon.

Coward. If you acted with such bravado at first, keep the front. Tch, at least you have an interesting ability. Only by thinking about the new form can you shift forms."

"Vlad, what happened to you?"

"I went into some trance state, where there were some strings of thoughts that didn't belong to me, telling me about some abilities, presumably coming from this sword."

"I see. I am glad to hear that you are alright." confessed Titania, who patted Vlad's head, and after he swam out from the lake in the Adam costume, she remained on the top, trying not to look.

Her curiosity was eating her alive as she took a small peek down, getting herself embarrassed and also fascinated.

'Don't tell me, I am a pervert?' thought Titania to herself while Vlad was cleaning his wet chiseled body, as if it belonged to a Greek god, later on changing into his lower body clothes, picking her up.

"Mhm?"

"Not "Mhm" I lost my bet. Are you ready?" inquired Vlad, who held the Fairy in his palms.

"What bet?" asked Titania, not remembering what she betted with Vlad on the wave of adrenaline she felt, now being confused.

"Ahh, I'll let you be shy."

Using his pinky finger, Vlad touched Titania's lips, brought her closer to the mouth, and pressed his lips to her tiny lower half of the face, where he, later on, felt the Fairy's tongue touching his upper lip.

"I told you, my little Titania, that I am a bad person." ended Vlad saying, licking his lips after he gave the Fairy a gentle kiss, finding the bet an overall win for himself, while Titania was red like a cheery, looking at how Vlad was licking his lips like a predatory beast.

"Mhm, you are a bad person. A very bad person." replied Titania shyly, vanishing from Vlad's palm and getting inside his hair, starting hiding, while she placed her small hands on her bosom, feeling her heart beating like a hopper.

Meanwhile, Vlad, who actually felt a lot of pleasure from giving that kiss to Titania, unknown why, moved on, leaving that thought for another time to solve, now turning his attention to the Sword he stabbed on the ground like it was worth scrap.

"Now that I've rewarded my little Fairy, let's see what this arrogant sword can do before I go to sleep."

 

32