Chapter 15: The Guardian
708 5 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 15: The Guardian

 

Picking up the Sword from the ground, he could feel that the Sword allowed him a sturdy grip, and he walked around with the Sword in a line.

The first routine in checking the Sword was walking with it, finding how comfortable it would be having it strapped next to his waist.

Next, he tested his sword stances to the point where he unleashed an unexpected piercing strike.

'Has a nimble feeling to it. Like a light sword, one of those one-handed swords. However, the weight and length is that of a longsword, but I really don't care how it looks and feels.'

'Let me try its ability.'

While Vlad's mind was having such an inner conversation with himself, he imagined inside his mind one of his favorite weapons, the Turkish Saber, or as the Janissaries liked to call it, the Kilij.

From the moment he thought seriously about shifting the Sword, the blade's appearance changed, morphing and twisting, forming the shape of the Sword he so thoroughly missed.

Silently, he started some swordplay, where he tested the feeling of the Sword, getting accustomed once again to using the Turkish Saber, and combined with his footwork, his sword strikes looked clean and fluid, turning Vlad at the end of the test satisfied.

Going toward his "camp" and reaching out for his sleeping bag, he shifted the size of the Sword into a needle that he pinned inside the blanket as if it was nothing significant.

"I take half of my words back. You aren't scraps. Even turning into a needle makes me shocked and confused about who could make such a sword. Or better said, how you could get such powers."

"Nevertheless, we'll have plenty of time to discover more about you. Time is of the essence."

Since getting that passionate kiss from Vlad, Titania remained quiet to which the young man didn't force her to say a single thing, letting his hair be disheveled and housing her inside his hair while he went on his side slowly began to dive into the dreamspace.

Before taking the last step, he felt Titania go back to her favorite spot and, like a cat, start making bread on his neck, arranging his neck like a pillow.

Such an adorable reaction made him give out a small smile, but then again not feeling like teasing the Fairy too much, he simply continued getting drowsy and minutes later being done, leaving only Titania, who seemed to be awake for the moment, contemplating on what happened to her so far.

'My heart beats irregularly. It had never happened to me before. Whenever he smiles at me and caresses my face with his fingers, I freeze, standing there like a fool. What got into me?'

'Do I like him?'

'I guess. Otherwise, I wouldn't be so attached to him in just two weeks. He treats me so gently but also has a beasty side that likes to tease me. Is this love? But is it possible between him and me? I am so small, while he is so large.'

'No, I can't think of this. There is always something for any problem. If Vlad wants to find a cure for his blind eyes, I want a cure to help me grow to his size and embrace him to my chest, kissing him properly.'

Unknown to her, Vlad's right palm was close to her with his pinky finger caressing her body, making her think he was teasing her again, but checking his breathing he was sleeping, and was only doing this unconsciously, only then stroking back his finger.

'I might be tiny, but I will try to embrace you and kiss you whenever I feel courageous.'

Thinking that in her mind, she too closed her eyes pressing her tender body on his neck, and a couple of minutes later before she even went to dream, the vocal cords started trembling her.

"My lovable Titania, why are you upset? Because of your stature? Don't be. There are cures for everything in this magical world, and until we find one, I will love you and cuddle with you regardless of size."

When she heard Vlad's confession, Titania immediately went to check his breath, and he was sleep talking, but that didn't matter for her, as her face turned cherry, brimming with happiness and emotions, she returned to her bed, attempting to sleep, but failing.

The little Fairy found the feeling of love that she had lost for an unknown time. In those moments, her mind was thinking of all sorts of things.

Like a young girl in love, the butterflies were building up in her small tummy, and she didn't know how to manage those emotions.

.

When morning arrived, Vlad found his neck in a similar state as the previous days, wet, but without the hickeys he got familiar with receiving from the little Fairy, who was doing out with his neck for various reasons.

Yet this morning was different, Titania only salivated on his neck with whatever time she had to sleep and didn't even want to wake up, clinging like a little monkey on his neck.

"Little Titania, we have to wake up. A long journey awaits us." mentioned Vlad in a warm voice, trying to wake his Fairy only with his voice, and the movement of his vocal cords.

Not finding success, he started getting up after picking Titania from his neck in a gentle way, placing her on his head as if she had returned to a lush black forest, only waking up after Vlad finished clearing out the camp, and packing the sleeping bag into his large backpack, getting encouraged by the smell of the cooked food, reaching her summit.

*Sniff*

"Veggie and mushrooms along with rice." mumbled Titania from where she was sleeping, opening her golden eyes to see herself in another location.

"Good morning, Titania."

"Mhm, good morning. Why haven't you woke me up?" asked Titania, using her hands to rub her sleepy eyes.

"I tried, but you were deep in your dream, so I just moved you to a comfortable place. You woke up just in time for the day's first meal."

Titania still couldn't understand how Vlad could cook so well even though he was blind, and before flying off his head, she patted her silk robe and arranged her hair.

She only missed a mirror and some make-up, and she would probably do them too, preparing herself for her suitor.

Soon the young man and Fairy were eating from the same plate, with great appetite, using their hands and getting messy. They wolfed down in a couple of minutes. Even the small one of the two had a great appetite which scared Vlad at times.

Finishing all his preparations for the journey back while the needle was morphed into a dagger that he had on his waist belt, cleaning out the place they eat, and also their faces and hands, the duo began their journey back this time without being required to climb down from the same path Vlad took.

"Are you sure this is the right path out from the mountain?" inquired Vlad who was guided by the Fairy on his head, pulling on his strands of hair and telling his ears about each obstacle.

"Yes, this is the path. We should be careful of the Guardian. I don't know how he will react if he sees us together."

"I've already passed the biggest struggle for me, getting the Sword. Fighting some Guardian would be easy for me. Now, which direction should I go?"

"Straight ahead, the path has been cleared out."

Nodding his head while still utilizing his cane, Vlad walked steadily on the road he couldn't believe existed, being so smooth and clear that his cane didn't find any crevices he should jump or dodge.

Such was his journey on this mesmerizing Mountain, where his surroundings were similar to a forested path. Then he felt a sudden change in temperature that he couldn't explain.

Titania also noticed this change and started trembling, especially when she saw a raven on a black oak tree that was staring with red eyes at Vlad and herself.

"Yyyyy, Vlad, watch out!"

With Titania's warning, Vlad dropped his cane and dashed backward in a swift movement unbeknownst to a blind man, and from the ground, a large twisted root pierced the earth, bringing along the cries of the Raven's and other beasts.

Titania watched how the Raven on the oak tree descended on the ground and morphed in the appearance of a fragile old man with a long white beard.

"Fairy, what is the meaning of this? You have broken the ancient contract set by the master."

"I didn't break anything! My Champion has cleared the challenge set in place by that cursed contract, and now I am free to do whatever I want. You can't bind me to this place!"

"Ohh, a human has gained the acknowledgment of the Sword. This is unexpected. However, Fairy, you've done something that you shouldn't have done. You've helped the mortal."

"Mind your own business, old tree! My Vlad has earned everything with his hard work. Don't you dare accuse him of cheating or me of not respecting the contract." retorted Titania from Vlad's head, looking with an angry expression at the old man that made her look scary, as if she was a demoness.

"Now, now, calm down, little Titania. Why get consumed by what a senile old man has to say?" remarked Vlad, while patting the Fairy's head with his index finger, calming her with his calm voice.

"Haha, young human, I don't know what magic you have done to spellbound the Fairy, for which I applaud you. However, like every human who reached my domain, you will have to face my challenge to pass this part of the Mountain.

I shall see if you deserve to be the new master of the Sword."

"Old man, could it be? You are looking down on me because of my blindness?" asked Vlad who once again dodged another treant attack released by the old man in front of him.

"I have never looked down on a single human I faced. These are the commands I've received to test any worthy human who will attempt to gain my master's Sword. I don't care who you are. If you are blind or without limbs, whoever steps on this zone will face me."

Titania trembled with her hands on Vlad's head, starting to apologize for bringing him to the Guardian, but she received a warm touch, calming her, assuring her that everything will be just fine.

"Calm down, Titania. I still failed to mention to you many things I am capable of, and fighting is one of the parts I am a master. Since I was young, I never lost a fight one against one, and this will not change in my old age."

Ending saying that, with his abyssal eyes focused on the old man giving him a menacing look even though he couldn't see the enemy, the dagger in his hand started morphing into the Scimitar he was raised to fight with, beginning to walk toward the Guardian.

"I just have to defeat you, right?"

"Exactly, human." responded the old man who had his hands lowered, not feeling any danger when facing Vlad, that was already armed.

Then, instantly when he ended saying that, Vlad stormed into action, with a sword slash that had the intent to behead the old man in front of him.

The Guardian reacted by changing his appearance into his true form, blocking the sword attack.

Titania watched as the Guardian reverted back to its true form, a large creature with a deer skull that had large antlers as head, and tree-like limbs, with a body like a tree trunk.

Its appearance was fear-inducing, but clearly, Vlad had no idea what the enemy in front of him looked like, nor did he care.

The initial clash between him and the Guardian was a stable exchange where he didn't lose out in strength, and what followed next was the Guardian pushing him back with his left arm, creating a strong impact on his body.

"... That hurt."

"If you lower your guard, you'll die a sad death."

Vlad turned silent and dashed toward the large creature that used its long-ranged attacks, sending out roots to pierce his body, which he dodged the moment he charged at the creature in front of him.

With no emotion in his fighting self, his hearing sensed the creature waving its large arm to push him again, but with a crunch from him, he dodged, following up with a cut at the tree-like arm.

'Tsk, I didn't manage to cleave his arm. It felt as if I hit the trunk of a sturdy tree.'

"Titania, be my eyes. Is this monster tree-like, correct?"

"Yes! It is an ugly forest monster." mentioned Titania from Vlad's head, feeling confident and also shocked by the fighting prowess her Champion was showing.

Nodding his head, his senses once again worked weirdly that he didn't understand, alerting him about an incoming attack from the Guardian, who got a slimmer arm that blasted Vlad away from its inner range, combining the push with his long-ranged attacks.

The fight continued with Vlad dodging most of the attacks, with only some roots piercing his flesh, beginning to ooze blood on the forested battlefield.

However, these small errors from him didn't slow his speed or decrease his strength as he was slashing his Kilij at the Guardian like a woodchopper until another thought hit him, getting some sort of enlightenment from the movement he was doing with the Sword and the Kilij morphed into an actual Battle Axe.

"I got drunk a bit on the battle flow. It will not happen again.

Ready for round two?" asked Vlad who distanced from the Guardian, holding the Battle Axe with one hand.

"Human, you don't know what is good for you. YOU WILL ANGER ME!" shouted the Guardian, whose body oozed green blood from its tree-like body full of sword marks and missing bits.

"Get madder. Let's see what you will be able to do against this blind me?"

"You will regret it, human." remarked the Guardian, who turned into a black mist traveling toward Vlad at a fast speed, barely giving time for Titania to react and warn him.

Remaining steady in his position, he ignored the sound of the tree moving in the wind, the beasts growling and roaring, only following his enemy who appeared behind him, swinging its arm that looked menacing toward his back.

At that moment, he also swiftly turned his body to face him, placing a sinister smile on his face while swinging his Battle Axe.

The impact of the two happened, reaching a harsh conclusion.

"ARGHHH. God damn it, you are just a tree. How could you cut me so badly?" shouted Vlad, who received a nasty cut on his left shoulder, gritting his teeth from his pain and starting to fish out his healing potions.

On the other hand, the Guardian also released an agonized scream as he lost his footing, dropping to the bloody ground, with Vlad managing to cleave off an entire leg from the Guardian.

Those cries of pain finally unleashed something that Titania feared the most, a chain reaction from the beasts of the Mountain that began encircling Vlad from all sides.

"KUKUKU, that's how that master of yours taught you, old tree? To fight your duels with numerical advantage? I don't fear it.

Come at me! This will prove to me how insignificant that master of yours was and how weak its lackeys are." announced Vlad in a domineering voice while splashing an entire potion on his shoulder that began burning his wound, but in doing so, stopping the blood.

The Guardian raised his head to look at Vlad, that was using some red colored fluids to heal his wound, and with its red eyes, he noticed how Vlad showed no signs of fear and was ready to fight to the death with him and the beasts of the Mountain, a shocking mentality coming from the humans he thought to be cowards, without a backbone to support themselves.

Yet, this young man with flowing ink-black hair, standing upright even though he suffered some nasty wounds from his attacks, declared victoriously that he feared none, even looking down on the master who blessed him.

"You are the first human I encountered to survive so long in a fight against me. Most would be dead in the first minutes, yet we fight for 20 minutes."

"What are you saying, creature? Stalling for your wounds? Are you afraid now?

GO ON, FIGHT! SHOW ME WHAT YOU ARE MADE OFF!" shouted Vlad, who morphed the Battle Axe into a Halberd, readying himself to face the entire gathering of beasts, showing some signs of madness in his behavior.

And before the Guardian could even command the creatures of the Mountain, the pack of wolves gathered around Vlad charged at him with bloodlust.

Sensing that, he only told Titania in a cold, apologetic voice on the top of his head.

"Titania, I told you about how I will not wish you to see the monster inside me, but we have to survive this. Don't worry, I will still have my clarity, just that the bloodlust will influence me."

"Mhm, I will be here for you." said the little Fairy holding on to Vlad's hair with all her strength while she closed her eyes, not wishing to see this beastly side of her Champion.

As for Vlad, he got quiet and, like a predator, used his senses and battle-hardened instincts to navigate from a large number of wolves, numbering 13, that charged at him simultaneously.

Without giving them a chance to strike first, while holding the Halberd, with a single strike, he pierced the skull of a wolf, followed by a swing of the axe blade that pushed to the side the ones closest to him.

Minutes passed, and Vlad grunted in pain whenever one of the wolves would manage to bite him, but each time they would lash at him, they would be killed by the weapon that would shift into a long dagger, long enough to slash the throat of the beasts, leaving out only the Guardian.

Morphing the dagger back into a Halberd, he pushed his body toward the Guardian, who tried to regrow its severed leg, glancing at Vlad decimating the beasts called by his anguished scream.

"Human, you won. There is no need to kill one another." concluded the Guardian, who saw Vlad still approach him in a battle frenzy.

"You know that I can kill you. This is why you are backing down right now. Without your dogs to keep me occupied, you still haven't grown your severed leg."

"Human, as much as I hate to say, you have defeated me. The unique way you have figured out how to use the Sword impresses me. That's what defeated me, not you in particular."

"Ohh, you want to see how I can kill you without using this weapon?" asked Vlad, who reached the downed opponent recovering from the battle wounds.

"..."

"Hah, arrogant creature. You look down on humans. There is a reason why we rule over the Earth, instead of other monsters and creatures. It is because we are strong and have unlimited potential."

"I will not deny this statement of yours, young human. You fought me with the clear disadvantage of being blind."

"Hah, don't try to find excuses saying I am blind."

"At least you have the consciousness to accept defeat. You excuse me from getting hurt more than I wished for, and it will also worry less, my little Fairy." remarked Vlad, who "stared" at the Guardian with his abyssal eyes, afterward morphing the Halberd into a hairpin that he used to tie his loose hair.

"Sorry, Titania, you had to see that side of me." continued Vlad, who welcomed the Fairy back on the nose, feeling her worried stare.

"I will be here for you whenever you get out of control." said Titania, kissing his temple, bringing a warm wave inside the young man, who felt exhausted after this intense battle.

The Guardian saw this duo between the human and fairy that he didn't expect and reverting back to his old man appearance who still grew back his leg like a tree, mentioned with an apologetic tone.

"Fairy, I apologize for my harsh words addressed to you."

"No need because I didn't care about your words."

"Sigh, there's been so many years that I've spent in this place that I even forgot most of my memories, only remembering fragments of my younger self and master. Now that I lost my purpose, I should get rebraced by mother nature."

"Wait, we still have to talk, Guardian."

34