Chapter 17: The Return
603 0 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 17: The Return

 

Vlad's departure from Picodras almost 2 weeks ago was felt relatively later.

Only on the second day of his departure that Lagos and Arik ask about their "youngest" getting a calm response from Patrick smoking his cigarette and reading the newspaper, which did more bad than good, triggering their anxiety.

"Hehe, that kid went on an adventure. He went to Galena Mountain to try his luck."

"Old man! What did you say?? Vlad went by himself to Galena?

Why have you allowed him that? What if he got himself killed. On whose consciousness will his death be on?" asked Lagos, starting to get nervous, remembering the stories about Galena and the Guardian that would kill anyone trying to climb the mountain.

However, he doubted that Vlad would be able to reach that place because of his blindness.

Arik, too, got nervous but remained quiet, knowing Vlad far better than Lagos did, who still remembered Vlad as the young boy whose body was broken into pieces, requiring his assistance.

Those times were far gone, and now the young man they were worried about was far more capable than they thought, something that only Patrick was knowledgeable about, spending more time with him than the two boys combined.

"You guys are looking down too much on that brat. He invented that weird walking cane to assist him in his walk and to get to a decent stage, he wouldn't lose his path.

Besides, why shouldn't I allow him this? He is 17 years old this year, soon to turn 18, living all of those years inside the walls of Picodras. Meanwhile, you two had plenty of chance to explore the South Blue with me, visiting various islands, cities, kingdoms."

"Aren't you now selfish? Asking me not to allow him to adventure out and face the world independently."

Listening to the old man's comment, the two youngsters shut their mouths, contemplating until they sighed, agreeing with Patrick.

"You are right, father. Vlad is far smarter than most of the guys in the city, and it has been like this since he was young. He will not allow himself to die and rot in some shit-stained place.

He is too much of an arrogant snob to get himself done so badly." replied Lagos, who took it easier, starting relaxing, and as the two youngsters finished their conversation with Patrick, another one came.

"Jervis? What happened? I thought I told you to keep watch over the docks."

"Boss, I got news that might interest you. That Revil guy plans to kill Vlad just because he got cucked by him. One of my insiders in his group told me everything of what happened when Vlad went on his "adventure" two days ago.

"Ohh, interesting. Go on, tell me more. What that shitty brat has in mind?"

"You know, the average revenge plan. Once he receives news that Vlad has returned home, he will force that slut Mary to get Vlad to the harbor, and once there, his group of vagabonds will gank, trying to kill him.

After that, they will set sail to avoid your wrath and most of the boys' wrath."

"While most of the guys initially didn't like young Vlad ... now they are die-hard fans. Receiving his treatments and various concoctions. Ahem, old man, do you have some of those drugs to increase your endurance?"

"I bet that's what you little fuckers will miss the most, his sex drugs. Bunch of fools, that's why you united to help, that brat? His aphrodisiacs?"

"Yep. There's nothing to be ashamed of. Anyway, tell me, Boss, what should I do with that Revil bastard? Should I kill him myself?'

"No need. That's Vlad's problem. He took that little slut to his bed for a reason, if we kill his prey wouldn't we shoot ourselves in the foot?"

"Makes sense. Then, I'll go back to the docks. Pass me a cigarette." requested Jervis eying the old man's cigarette pack, making the old man retort in a cheap tone.

"Your salary is big enough to allow you to buy a pack of cigarettes daily. Don't get me started. Fine, here, but you better piss off after this."

Jervis found himself with a cigarette that he lighted with one match from his matchbox, later on departing from the mansion, leaving Patrick to his doings, resuming reading the newspaper with a bold title.

[Dracule Mihawk challenges The She-Wolf of Manshaka]

'Interesting. Isn't that boy Dracule Mihawk a Swordmaster? It seems my brat will have good company as he pushes his own sword toward the pinnacle. As for Vajra, from those newspapers that kept on circling, she settled down becoming the Duchess of Ankaram.'

'How things have their own turns. Most likely, that boy Mihawk will win this duel. Still, who will he challenge next? One of the Sea Emperors from the New World? Or start picking up most of the Sword Masters from the world?'

'Hah, watching things from a distance is always convenient. Not having to worry about your own safety. There's even some quality change in the Newspaper reports, which is a bonus for me and my subscription.'

Drinking some hard liquor as he placed the newspaper on the table, he took another deep breath from his cigarette, exhaling and asking himself.

"Boy, you've got to return, or this old man will be on the sea without getting to welcome you. That Guardian, I heard plenty about it, and the list of people killed by it, is also something to take note of.

From Elders to Guild Masters, to simple adventures, everyone tried their luck throughout hundreds of years, yet never defeating the monster lurking inside the mountain."

.

.

Days passed until the day that Vlad foresaw his return to Picodras arrived. It didn't bring many changes to the whole city structure, but certain individuals were itching, getting impatient for the Blind man's return.

Meanwhile, inside a small house in another zone of Picodras, a young man with shaved sides and a long top knot hairstyle was staring at a woman naked, seated next to him on the bed, listening to her cries and innocent voice.

"Of course, how could my gentle Mary be what those cheap bastards mentioned. That cursed Blind, if he didn't use those underhanded methods of forcing you, then how could the word about you and him get out."

"I told you, my love, that Blind threatened me and forced me to have sex with him. I was scared and feared for my life. I had to do it and protect the two of us."

"My love, I will avenge you and get that Blind fool to kneel before you, apologizing for everything he did to you. That braindead blind might not remember what I told him in the past, but I didn't forget. However, he hid well, not wishing to make his appearance in the city."

Taking the naked woman in his embrace while kissing her deeply in her mouth, his eyes started turning slightly furious, as if he was seeing Vlad fucking Mary senseless, forcing her to blow him, which began twisting his rain of thoughts that he was about to take Mary for another round, but the girl got rescued by one of his lackeys who entered the room, saying with an excited voice.

"Boss Revil, the Blind fucker has been spotted entering inside the city with a large bag on his back."

"Good! I was starting to get bored. Mary, you know what to do. I want you to get him to me, and I promise you'll see him pay for doing those things to you and reward you with whatever gift you wish."

"Are you serious?"

"Yes."

Mary initially wanted to decline this plan, but then she remembered a small dream of hers that required a lot of funds to be achieved. When she heard about Revil doing something for her, her mind immediately began cooking up some excuses to have Vlad visit the docks.

.

In another part of the city, the awaited young man made his appearance at the city walls, where the guards stared, confused at who he was, not having a good view of him because of the large bag. Nevertheless, they welcomed him inside once their sight got to his black cane.

"Young Vlad, welcome home. Words have spread around that you departed the city never to return, but it seems you still have us to your heart."

Vlad ignored those guards, only humming a bit like a greeting which was enough for the guards who were used to his cold and detached responses, not interested in them whatsoever.

Still, someone was waving at the guards from the top of Vlad's head, a small delicate hand belonging to a young woman.

"Nice to meet you guys!"

It was the Fairy of the Lake that accompanied Vlad on the long journey back home, along the way, she experienced and saw many things.

"Shh, haven't I told you to keep quiet?" murmured Vlad to the young girl seated on his head.

Right now, she was watching from Vlad's head with her golden eyes the stone walls and the platforms for the guards. After getting inside the city on Vlad's route toward a mansion at the city's center, the Fairy basked at the sight of certain buildings.

"You should greet the people. Look, they are so welcoming of you."

"They probably want something from me and will waste my time. Little Titania, time is an important concept for a human. We might as well experience the passage of time differently."

"That's not right. I sleep when you sleep, I eat when you eat. I am sorry to say to you, but your thought is wrong."

The two were talking in whispers until getting inside the mansion's courtyard, turning Titania, knowing that she would meet an important person in Vlad's life.

Opening the door without a care in the world, he heard a small curse which was the first impression for Titania.

"And I told those little fuckers to knock at least once at the door before entering. Who is it, Jervis? You annoying bastard, let me sleep."

"Complains and again complains. Two weeks, almost three weeks passed, and you didn't change one bit.

It's afternoon already, old man, and I doubt you worked so hard that you'll be tired at this point."

"What the? That voice? Ohooo, my boy, you finally returned. I thought you hit your head on some rock and forgot where your home is again." remarked Patrick getting up and walking toward the mansion's lobby to see Vlad wearing the heavy backpack that he took off, making a large impact sound.

"Good to see you, old Patrick, " replied Vlad, walking toward the old man and giving him a hug.

While the old and young were making out with their hug, turning the whole moment into a wholesome one, Titania took a peek from where she was hiding inside Vlad's long hair, only to be spotted by the sharp old man.

"Boy, stay still for a second. You got some bug on your head. Maybe a tick? We'll know soon."

"Mhm? Ahh, wait, don't hurry yourself Patrick."

"Kyaaa! What are you trying to do?"

Patrick heard that woman scream, where swiftly the thing he thought was a bug jumped from the hiding and flew in the air.

"Have I gotten so old that I started hearing things and seeing things?" asked Patrick, questioning himself and his mental prowess, starting to eye the Fairy that got panicked.

"That's one of my rewards, if you could call it so. She is Titania, my companion on this journey back.

Come on, don't be scared.

This old bum will not hurt you at all, just sing him something, and he will immediately be your soldier." remarked Vlad extending his palm for Titania to land back, and trusting his words, she returned, glancing at Patrick and later at Vlad.

"That's a fabled Fairy? What dog shiit luck have you got, brat? Ahem, sorry for scaring you, young miss. I am Patrick, this fool's father."

"I hope he didn't pull something weird on you, taking advantage of you."

Hearing all those questions, from casual to even weird, which embarrassed her, made Patrick look at Vlad as if he was his enemy and even saw Titania launch herself in the air and get inside his hair, starting hiding herself from him.

"She is shy. Give her some more time to get accustomed to her new surroundings, and you'll see her ask you questions about all sorts of things. She is a curious one. What can I say.

Besides, how have you been, old man? Almost three weeks. Would you believe that?"

"Not at all. If it was a normal person in my place, they would instantly assume that you got killed on the road or inside the mountain. But it is good to see you alive and kicking. So, how was this journey of yours?"

Vlad chuckled at Patrick, who in seconds was boiled by the curiosity of knowing if all the stories about Galene Mountain were true.

Before not long, the two guys, old and young, ignored the Fairy, hiding entirely in the young man's long hair.

"The legends were right, old man. For the most part, everything was spot on, with some alterations, mostly the rewards, or who knows, maybe because I am blind, I couldn't experience it."

"Yep, you probably didn't even know where you were."

"For the most part. Anyway, let me get started with the story."

Likes this, Vlad began telling old Patrick about his journey from Picodras to the following villages, telling him about his experiences with the tavern, which had the old man crack up in laughter at how stupid some people could be.

Yet, he went quiet once Vlad began telling him about his mountain ascent, and using some of the descriptions given by Titania, he painted a clear picture for Patrick and going on about how unlucky he was and the dangers of the mountain, later on, pointed at the Fairy, inviting her out.

"Come on, dear, there are only friends here. Would you see me opening up about my experiences if it was a stranger?"

"So yes, old Patrick, let me introduce you again to my companion, she is Titania, and her role was to watch over the item inside the lake. The puzzle was so messed up that you'll probably make fun of me, but I doubt you'll be faster."

Saying that, he explained to him what he had to do to activate the sigils that bound the sword to the lake floor.

Hearing all of his stories, Patrick watched Vlad and Titania with prying eyes, making the Fairy avoid his old eyes.

"Young lady, thank you for taking care of this stubborn fool. I will continue leaving him in your care, so stay strong.

Also, if you need advice or me telling you his weaknesses, I'll be available whenever." implied old Patrick, to which, for the first time, he saw Titania nodd at him, later on thanking him with her sweet voice.

"Don't worry, mister. It is my role to watch over him, and be his eyes, also his voice of reason that he sometimes shows to lack."

"Mhm, that's right, little one. What you have before you is a smartass lad that will annoy you for the most part. He doesn't know to speak properly, he ignores people even though they have good intentions, he is skeptical about most things happening to him, and he is a masochist who loves pain."

"..." Titania remained quiet in the face of all the information she received, however, turning her head at Vlad's face, she saw him frowning.

"Don't listen to what this old fool says about me. Especially the masochism, that's sullying lies."

"Well, for the most part, the mister has been correct in his characterization. We'll have to work on your manners."

"When pigs would fly."

Both Titania and Patrick began laughing at Vlad's expense, making the Fairy appearance even cuter and more adorable, and it took a while for Vlad to resume his story.

Nonetheless, he told the old man about the sword before showing it, pulling from his long hair a hairpin that he passed on to Patrick, staring at the hairpin with a confused expression.

"Think of something, old man. You'll be shocked by what this short dagger will be able to do. Ahh, wait, wait, I want you to make something clear. It has to be a real weapon, not some wacky fantasies you have in your head. Got it?"

"Are you trying to insinuate something, brat?"

"Me? Not at all. Just don't mess with my weapon. I've worked a lot to get it from the lake.

I am willing to bet those puzzle pieces were arranged by little Titania.. She might be really tiny, but she has a dark mind."

When he said that, Titania protested cutely, and he gave her his finger to chew in anger, making his finger wet, as the Fairy acted.

"Hmph, it isn't as if this thing will be able to turn into a canon." remarked the old man, who thought about the naval cannon, the newer version created by the marines.

Immediately he felt his hands going heavy, making him throw the dagger on the floor, which began morphing in the shape of the cannon he imagined.

"What the actual fuck is this thing, boy? How? This is the new technology of cannons put in use by the marines. What blasted thing have you got?"

"Calm down. This is a magical weapon. No need to react in such a manner. You'll get heart problems. Calm. That sword might look like scraps but has some insane ability."

"Unbelievable, can it do more than this? Or is it just one change?"

"I don't know the full extent of the sword's power, but the transformation is something the spirit inside specifically told me. Go on, play around with the sword, just don't make a flagship.

Take advantage of this chance while you can, this is the most unique sword in the world for sure."

Patrick touched the cannon from the ground and thought of a longsword, and swiftly began morphing into the sword he wanted, revealing a large hole on his floor.

Nevertheless, Patrick was too shocked to care about the damages done to his house and instead began playing around, even creating some medical equipment with it, which was quite enlightening for Vlad.

"Right, how could I not think about that. It is possible to even make scalpels, scissors, and other medical equipment. Damn, old man, I'll watch you play with the weapon. Maybe you reveal something once again."

"Hahaha, you got a prize that could be desired by anyone."

"If only they knew about it."

 

32