Chapter 23: A Pitiful Woman and A Name
582 2 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 23: A Pitiful Woman and A Name

 

"You are playing with me, right? You are here again trying to tease me."

"Not at all."

"Why would you allow me to use your house? I used you, and yet you are helping me. Considering everything I've done to you, only following my own gains and interests, being a hypocritical, selfish bitch, and placing your life in danger.

Why?"

"Pfff, how cute." chuckled Vlad with his eyes closed, finding Mary's questions quite interesting and how she characterized herself.

"Why? Because I feel like it. However, if you want me to explain to you my mood, I don't care about you using me.

I allowed you to use me to a certain degree and that's what you should understand, Mary. Thank Arik for finding himself a partner and triggering another chain of events that led to me picking you up from many girls buzzing around my ears."

"Then why have you picked me from all the girls that followed you around?"

"You were the boldest one, and to be honest, I remembered my past when I was walking for the first time inside the Market after my casts were taken off. Without any strength in my body, fragile and delicate as a little baby, even in that weakened state of mine, I was challenged, picked on. A childish conflict, but sometimes I like to remain young and have such conflicts."

"Hah, because of that? This is so stupid." responded Mary, conflicted by everything she heard from Vlad, and yet it made sense to her, knowing a bit about Vlad's past and how he arrived 8 years ago, taken in by Patrick.

"Childish, not stupid." remarked Vlad opening up his eyes that seemed to watch her calmly, but even this gaze was enough to give her a weird feeling.

She looked at Vlad in his dark eyes, a color so dark she had never seen before in others, and yet they weren't holding hatred or bad emotions for her whatsoever. Instead, when she heard his silly reasons for letting her approach him, she started laughing and crying at the same time.

"I don't know if you pursue this conclusion with Revil from the start, but I think you are the impulse I required to start anew. I can finally think about other things and be myself."

"Still, Vlad, wouldn't I be a bother for you living inside your house while you are here, even beginning working on the toys. I am sure it will bother you." remarked Mary with some tears flowing down her cheeks.

"It will be okay. You are simply worrying too much."

"Will you ask me for money, like those landlords?"

Vlad got silent, and Mary took his silence as a decline, trying to get accustomed to this detached Vlad, who only spoke when he was required by the circumstances, and taking some deep breaths to calm her flooding emotions, she told him, trying to sound calm.

"Vlad, also another thing. We are not in a romantic relationship, right?"

"Obviously, no. I am not interested in such things."

"Then we are friends?" inquired Mary watching Vlad's expression that eased-up and with a smile that looked devilish, she heard him reply.

"With benefits."

*Cough*

He released a dry cough from nowhere, yet the cause of this reaction after he mentioned that line was the small Fairy jumping on his stomach and pressing her feet on his body, as if she kicked him.

Meanwhile, Mary blushed genuinely and didn't reply, acting quiet.

"I'll not touch you if you don't want me to. I will respect your choices, but if you want to find a sturdy shoulder to cry, mine is as welcoming as they come. Besides, I don't really hate you"

"I will keep it in mind."

.

Taking some time where they remained silent, Titania broke the silence by asking Mary some of her questions about tailoring and toy making in general, to the point where she landed on Mary's shoulder, and they started having a pleasant conversation.

He wasn't even bothered to listen to their discussion as he raised up, walking out of the house behind this house where an oak tree waited for him full of sword marks on it, receiving quite the beating.

"Friend, I know only you are my confidant. Only you know my capabilities as you have watched my training for a while."

Patting the tree truck, he took out the hairpin holding his long hair together, which he transformed into a Halberd that stood proud at Vlad's side, having a visible sharp luster to the black blade.

"You too, arrogant bastard, you had behaved nicely in my hands last night. I guess you enjoyed the blood I've spilt with you."

*Buzz*

The shaking of the blade made Vlad smile evilly, having a little understanding of this weapon that he could communicate to a primal stage.

Yet this communication was mostly based on emotions instead of actual words, making it a mysterious puzzle for Vlad, who didn't understand how such a magical weapon exists in the world.

This lack of information about the weapon made him more curious and interested in finding what else his new weapon could achieve, something that he was progressing since leaving Galena Mountain, where he would change its shape to various forms he could visualize in his mind.

"You know, weapon, I didn't give you a name. I heard that it is a tradition of sorts to give a name to one's sword." mentioned Vlad, who swung the Halberd, beginning his morning drills, talking with his sword as if it could hear his thoughts and voice.

It took some swings of the Halberd for the blade of the weapon to buzz, and it was with another frequency Vlad's sensible ears picked up, sounding more irregular and powerful.

"You think I will give you a stupid name, and you better not receive one? Hah, you look down on me, scrap metal.

Since I was a young boy, I was good with words. I've learned so many languages. Do you want Turkish, Greek, Latin, German, Hungarian, Italian or a name from my native tongue?"

*Buzzz*

"No? Tsk, you'll soon long for a name. We'll see for how long you can be arrogant, scrap metal."

*Buzz*

Another frequency was used for this response from the weapon, which Vlad interpreted as laughter and also a curse.

"Mhm, I don't know who used to be your first master, nor do I care, but right now you are the weapon of me, Dragon.

There's only one clan with this glorious name, and it belongs to me. I've told you in the past when we were alone, that I was one of the most valiant soldiers, undefeated in one to one duels.

So many people have died to my sabre that you cannot even comprehend it."

*Buzzzzz*

"Lies? You still don't know who I am, scrap metal. However, you'll learn who I am, by fighting alongside me. Thus far, we only fought stupid kids with no combat experience, which left me so incredibly bored in battle. Their techniques were garbage as if they never received proper training."

*Buzz*

"We can at least agree to something, the level of fighting prowess the people of this island show is too low. But we will see more people who can challenge us and put us to difficulty. In fact, I even want to see those who can beat me in a fight so I can grow stronger, polishing my skills further than I could achieve once."

It was a weird conversation that if someone watched from outside would consider Vlad a crazy person for talking with himself out loud, yet he could either talk inside his mind since the sword, whenever he would touch it would be connected to him. A type of link he couldn't understand but was rather efficient.

However, Vlad was an oldschool man and liked to do things the way his teachers and their own teachers did.

Switching around forms, he was wielding a bow that he began firing from different ranges, using some of the oak tree branches that he fit for the bow.

"The bow is still challenging without my sight. I've missed all the shots by a lot." remarked Vlad, who went to touch the tree trunk filled with holes belonging to the branches he shot, missing some of the initial markings he did for his training.

Then, approaching the end of his training, he morphed the bow into a spiked glove that were used by gladiators to fight in melee range, starting to unleash hell using his own fists, and if someone with modern knowledge would look at this tall young man from behind.

All his attacks would look closer to boxing while his kicks were the type a muay thai fighter would send, blasting with his shin some wood chunks of the dried trunk.

'Good conditioning. Slowly my skin will get harder. Hard enough that it will act as my armor in battle.'

Taking deep breaths, with his body full of sweat, he decided to return back inside the house and first wash himself. Getting to the living room, he noticed that the girls were still doing their own thing, gossiping, specifically talking about him which made it more awkward when moving toward the bathroom.

Their giggles made him eavesdrop with a curious mind, but he found nothing of interest until he got in the bathroom.

Afterwards, he too had a conversation with Mary, where he asked her if she had any idea about what it takes to build a workshop, something similar to what the Saxons in the Transilvania Duchy would have done, being artisans and craftsmen.

"Ahhh, I am glad you returned. This is exactly what I wanted to ask you. I don't know where to start with this shop."

"That's bad, but not terrible. I can give you a list of actions you could pursue, but take them with a grain of salt since I have never administered such an endeavour, but it shouldn't be that difficult.

You need certain elements, someone to supply you with your materials, your threads, workers for starters take your time and only pick a small number. Then you have to figure out your logistical side of the toy shop, how you will sell and transport your goods. By sea or by land.

Equipment too is a crucial part but something that can be easily solved, with most of those steps that you'll have to follow." mentioned Vlad, continued giving her a detailed plan on how she should start, and also mentioned to her that until he leaves Picodras, he will always be available for her questions.

In her mesmerize, when she heard that Vlad planned to leave, it felt as if someone poured a cold bucket of water over her head, later on looking at Titania who shrugged her small shoulders.

"You'll really leave the Island? But it's really dangerous. Is it worth risking your life, for what? A life as a pirate? Is there even meaning in that, abandoning everything for a stupid treasure that doesn't exist."

"That thing that every idiot so zealously pursues is none of my concern. A blind man like me has to be realistic with himself. There are so many pirates lurking around, all with the intent of one day finding the treasure left by someone in an unspecified location.

Nothing to base it off. My book has far more details than what a dead person could give."

"Hmm, then when will you leave?"

"For sure, not today or tomorrow. The ship is still in repairs, which will take a couple of weeks or even months. Can you understand?"

"... I do."

"Anyway, I'll be off for a while since I got other things to do in the city. I'll leave you girls to get to know each other."

Vlad didn't wait for Titania or Mary to respond and getting up, his first set of actions was to visit Lagos and Arik, where he asked those two brothers of his to help him out with finding some more furniture for his house, specifically a bed, and some cabinets which would be of use to Mary.

On another occasion, those two took their time, and instead began asking Vlad about the events that happened last night, which brought a headache to him, and to their despair at how uncooperative he was, they left this subject on the point they got, barely receiving something out of him.

Vlad only told them the story in a short and slightly detailed manner, which allowed him to get to the conclusion rather immediately, leaving out a lot of details that the boys so desired, shutting any further attempts from getting word from him, like a true asshole.

Mary could see the changes of Vlad's visit to his so-called brothers, who were carrying a bed inside his house in the following hours, while some sailors were bringing out the furniture, with Nelson, in particular, walking toward Vlad and remarking in a calm voice.

"Everything will be 25.000 𝔅. This is the receipt for the things you've asked Arik and Lagos to get."

"I'll pay you the next time we see."

"Of course, sure, we are brothers at the end of the day." commented Nelson standing in the living room to watch the surroundings with his eyes dropping on Mary, who lowered her head, feeling some shame.

"Are you sure, Vlad? That girl has by now a bad reputation, it will sully your name and reputation if you associate with her. I've heard from the boys in the Judge's Office that Elder Dugar was enraged when the captain reported what happened to you."

"You also are lucky you haven't killed all of them, with only 2 of those guys losing their breath. But the way you did it to them, hah, breaking their bones and also blinding that Revil guy. What can I say … Marvelous job, brother."

"Don't bother me with these useless things. I will do so if the old man wants to summon me to give him further explanations. Until then, it's all noise." commented Vlad standing side by side with Nelson, who was noting something down.

"You didn't respond about the girl."

"Nothing that should bother you in particular. I just took her from the streets, and she will be a good girl from now on."

"Hah, Vlad, you do you. However, remember that with such girls, you shouldn't place your trust."

"Nelson, I know. Don't butt into my personal life." replied Vlad in a cold voice, making the young adult keep quiet, only giving Mary a look of disapproval.

Later on, with the people fitting his second room that he had left untouched since moving into this building was not brimming with new air, and with a calm voice, Vlad told the young woman standing behind him, like a shy girl.

"This will be your new room from now on."

"Thank you, I really can't pay you back for everything you've done for me so far."

"Sigh, if you keep doing this, it will trouble me. Receiving too many thanks is as if I am grooming some beggar girl. Chin up, don't let others' remarks defeat you. That's the first sign of weakness you don't have to show your opponents. Especially as a leader of people."

"Humans can be just like wild dogs, when they spot a weakness in their prey, you are dead. A monarch, a leader, never shows his weaknesses to the people he talks with."

"Mhm, I will remember."

.

She is settled in another room of his house that lacked any furniture since Vlad found no reason to do so when he moved from old Patrick, securing himself a good deal with an artisan who already had a bed built left for others to buy.

Touching the soft bed and looking at the bedsheets that she had, she also considered taking all her clothes from Revil's house and all her possessions, but after she took her time to sit on the bed, extending all her body.

Soon, like a little girl, Mary began rolling around in the bed, feeling thankful for Vlad's gesture and kindness, and the thoughts about the tall young man with a cold exterior looking at her with a smile started burning her emotions.

'Does he actually love me and doesn't want to tell me? Acting like a cold person, being his first defensive layer? Monarchs don't show their weakness …  My King …'

'I also didn't love him in particular, just keeping up a facade. But now? I don't know what to feel. He saved me from those bastards, even though he is a blind person, fully knowing the risks of arriving at the house. Yet to my surprise, and even fought those bastards, they tried to bite more than they could chew.'

'Titania mentioned that she will get angry with me if I ever start bothering him, getting clingy with him. But I doubt I can ever do such acts ever again. My conscience can't allow it.'

While she initially didn't feel any romantic feelings for Vlad, her love for him started sprouting like a seed watered whenever Vlad looked after her, even though he was still blind, he was still showing such great care.

Days passed since the incident with Revil, and Mary's wounds were recovered. Her beauty was now starting to get highlighted by the simple clothes she was wearing, the hardworking appearance of the girl moving from place to place, and talking with various people of the city, from merchants to artisans.

At first, she was rejected, but her persistence was a trump for her, not giving up in pursuing her dream, and since those days passed, the people of Picodras began changing their perception of this young lady associated with Revil.

However, in all of the times that she failed, she would have a shoulder to cry on, not being repulsed or throwing her away, instead, pushing her forward, motivating her by example and words.

And since then, her seedling started growing until she managed her courage to ask him a question that was pressing to her heart.

"Vlad, why are you trusting me so much? You've done so many things for me. Why? You'll gain nothing from me besides … my body."

"I never trusted you initially, but seeing you doing your best at researching, talking with the fabric merchants and also with lady Lavna, you don't seem that annoying slut anymore."

"You've gone to the square to ask the small children about their ideas for your creations, which is commendable. You don't show arrogance by lowering yourself to speak with those you want to help."

"I like this new Mary far more than that little slut from before, and I will tell you a small secret. If you keep staying and acting like a decent woman with principles, I might fall for you."

Hearing that from a Vlad drenched in the sweat of his training, beside looking at his muscles that were as if a God had descended on Earth.

Getting that response, not minding his mean comments, made her blush at this genuine answer.

She blushes with real emotions this time, not even being able to look at Vlad's handsome face properly as they were talking.

"I am only doing what a person who wants to serve customers would do. If I want to offer kids a smile, I need to understand what they want and mold myself to their answers. Also, do you mean it?"

"What part?"

"About falling for me." inquired Mary, with her cheeks burning, which instead made Titania murmur with a "I knew she would do it."

Supporting himself using the Harberd, with a calm voice that turned slightly serious, the brown-haired beauty whose skin was of a beautiful tan, received an answer that made her little heart beat with emotion.

"If you continue the way you are acting right now, in this way you've been doing for a couple of weeks, you have a chance, but I don't want you to place all your hopes on this chance. I will depart at one point, sooner or later, since this place is too small for me."

"While Picodras is my home, where my family resides, my wings are far bigger for this small cage."

She trembled at this response, and not knowing how to ask him, the memories of her parents abandoning her surfaced, yet she received an answer that put her at ease.

"No, it is not a pirate. I lost my sight because of a pirate. I hold no esteem for those pirates, nor the marines who follow their own interests. What I want is to find a cure for my eyes, to find a certain person that is renowned for the medical arts and whose grace might be enough to cure my sight."

Breathing with relief, Mary didn't forget to ask again when Vlad would leave Picodras Island, as if she wanted to know her time limit, she could try to make Vlad fall for her and stop him from leaving the Island and remaining with her.

"You still have to tell me how long you will stay home. I need to know."

This makes Vlad rather pleased by the constant changes he saw in this girl, and in a teasing tone, he only tells her.

"It could be 2 weeks from now on or three weeks? Or who knows? Maybe months. It depends?"

"Depends on what?"

"My mood."

 

A/N: The stay inside Picodras will not be a long one, a couple of chapters so he sorts out what the next location will be. Can anyone guess, where he will go next inside South Blue? I'll give you, a hint ... Is a cannon place, unlike my OCs.

.

If you want to read 20+ chapters ahead or support me, visit here:
patre0n.com/Morpheus146
______________________
If you want to join my Discord server to ask or to see character pics. Here is the link: >
https://discord.gg/CMsHqJVDVD

25