Chapter 37: Charles Vane’s dismay
355 1 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 37: Charles Vane's dismay

***

The squad of marines who recovered from their knockdown, followed along their leader, getting on the lead of a young man with ink-black hair, who strolled around the city, intending to go to the Market.

Arriving at the Market first, the merchants showed a large smile, expecting another day of good business coming from Vlad, but once they saw Broadhand, shouted some profanities at Vlad, their expression changed, getting tense.

"Ignore that barking dog. He can't do anything to me."

"Mister Dracul, what is happening here? Do those Marines want something from you?" inquired the merchant, who looked at the marines that began encircling Vlad as if he was a dangerous criminal.

"Ignore them. I've come to buy some goods from you since I heard you have some decent, quality goods. Do it according to this list of mine."

Receiving the piece of paper, the merchant took a quick glance which made him shocked by the large amounts of goods.

"Young sir, this will require a lot of hands to bring them to your ship."

"No problem. Take your time."

"Won't those guys following you stop us?"

"They? Hah, really don't bother too much about those dogs." assured Vlad again, ignoring fully the marines, not giving them a reason to attack him, and regardless of how corrupt they were, inside this Market they could only stare at him.

On the other hand, while Vlad continued doing his business, where the merchant began assembling some able boys that he instructed to gather around the supplies requested by Vlad, the Marine Commander, Broadband, was murmuring in an angry tone.

"Damned bastard. Who is this bastard, that he even knows the law set in place by the World Government? I was expecting the guy to comply with all my orders, and show fear, maybe leading to him killing some of my guys, which would allow me to engage in battle."

"But I have nothing to act on. Argghhh, at least Charles got plenty of time to prepare himself to kill this bastard."

Nevertheless, the news about what was happening inside the Market spread around quickly, about how one of the traveling merchants was apprehended by the marines, and some curious minds even traveled toward the Market to see this merchant.

Erek, and some of the guys who took part in the conflict inside the tavern, where they saw Vlad kill Laurance also arrived at the Market, and once inside the busy place as if an Opera Piece was about to be performed, the ones who experienced the events of the tavern, flinched at the first sign.

"So the gossip I was hearing about the merchant who spent large amounts of money inside the Market each day, was about that guy. I thought he left the city, but here he is." remarked Erek, whose expression turned curious about what Broadhand was about to do with regard to Vlad.

"Erek, let's announce Boss Arachar about this, I am sure he will want to take advantage of what's about to happen. A fight between the guy who killed Laurance in one strike, and 'Cheap-Shot' Charles Vane."

"Damn, let's get away from the Market. What if he starts killing all of us? That guy is crazy." commented another guy who was a bit traumatized by his experience with Vlad inside the tavern.

"Keep quiet. It gets interesting. Look at him, he told something to the merchant. Ohh, the carrying boys are assembling, reading themselves."

The people were like spectators of a play, watching the main actor of this play do his lines.

.

Vlad noticed that in the amount of time he waited for the merchant to prepare his supplies, the Market turned crowded with curious people who desired something to happen, which made him remark quietly to himself.

"The mind of a man is simple. Just like an animal."

"Pardon me?"

"It wasn't for you, merchant. Let's go to my ship, I will pay you once I see my supplies sorted out, that will cover the transportation cost, too."

"Understood, young sir. But, aren't we in trouble with so many people in our way?"

"Don't bother, they simply came to watch us." remarked Vlad, who gave the final order, where the merchant began walking closer to him with the carrying boys following their trail, sticking closer with the large bags strapped to their backs.

Broadsword frowned, and went to stay in Vlad's path, only to be ignored and slightly pushed by his shoulder, allowing the merchant and the carrying boys to pass along with him, and similar to Moses he split the entire crowd, passing undisturbed until he reached the harbor filled to the brim with various people.

Citizens of the Fiddler City were curious about the conflict that was about to ensue, but the main force was the Vane Pirates who were assembled, blocking the harbor.

"So, that person is the one who killed Laurance? Now that I look closely at him, it fits some of the descriptions of those idiots that came to me."

"Charles, are you really going to find trouble with that Dracul guy?" Asked a fat guy, standing next to the late-twenties man.

The guy was wearing pirate attire, standing out being his black leather trench coat, wearing beige flannel opened up so you could see his chiseled chest, and most oddly of all he seems to be wearing a red scarf tied around his neck, staring arrogantly at Vlad.

"Ruebard, shut up. I know you love money, but this isn't about money. What's at stake is my honor as Captain of a crew. I can't simply allow my people to die like beggars on the streets without any repercussions. Got it?"

Before the Mayor could reply, Vlad, who overheard the discussion going on between Charles and Ruebard, mentioned it while getting closer and closer.

"Your story isn't wrong per se, but the approach you had in this situation leaves me disappointed. Still, compared to what I first thought you'll do, this one feels like it holds some class."

"Also, Mayor, we meet again. Are you still upset about that gamble?" inquired Vlad with his eyes closed, making the fatty feel slightly conflicted about the entire situation.

"Not really. I just had bad luck that night."

"Glad to hear that. Then, what about this Pirate? Does he threaten you by chance? Want me to deal with him?"

"..." Ruebard got quiet, turning his head to look at Charles who frowned in the face of those remarks, and what he heard next made him a bit surprised.

"I didn't tell you, but apart from being a merchant. I am also something like an Adventurer, no, in this context it should be that other term. Bounty Hunter? Yes, Bounty Hunter.

How is it, want me to catch those pirates for you and hand them to the marines? They seem to be troubled, unable to catch the pirate."

Listening to Vlad's logic, all the parties in this conflict looked at one another, feeling the presence of this young man strange, as if he wanted to put all of them to fight against one another since he arrived at the harbor followed by the rest of the citizens.

"Ahem, mister Dracul, the situation is truly complicated. I am really saddened to hear about the crime you've committed inside my city, in killing one of the city's main protectors, mister Laurance. The Chief Protector of the City, sir Charles Vane, can only apprehend you, so you serve your punishment."

"But I can assure you, if you surrender now, it will be a lesser punishment."

Vlad opened his abyssal eyes to stare at the fat guy who tried to smooth out and explain himself to him, in doing so making a bad image of himself, which Charles noticed.

The pirate noticed Vlad give off a smile as if he was amused by everything happening in those moments, and unable to keep his calm, he shouted at the Mayor.

"Quiet, Ruebard. Can't you see this guy laughing at us? He doesn't view us with any respect, whatsoever."

"No, I don't like corrupt and hypocritical people. So, what will you do, Vane boy? Will you challenge me and risk your life for a pig? Or get lost from my path?" inquired Vlad, with his voice turning colder, which made the people from the tavern get some chills.

Their memories of Vlad asking Arachar questions and threatening them with their lives were running fresh in their minds, and in unison, some gulped their saliva.

Vane looked at Vlad with his brown eyes turning colder, observing closely this enemy he had no knowledge about, in doing so, trying to understand more about him.

Apart from seeing that something was off with his eyes, which he kept close for most of the time, there was nothing weird about Vlad, at least from his perspective.

"You bet, I want to challenge you, and I will even kill you for what you've done to Laurance."

"All of you? Or just you?" asked Vlad not showing any signs of emotions, which made it harder for Vane to read him.

"It doesn't matter since everyone wants to kill you."

A burst of laughter was starting spreading in the entire harbor, with Vlad moving from where he was standing, approaching Charles Vane empty-handed, stopping some meters away from him.

"Are you that angry that I killed an insignificant human being? Then let me ask the whole audience since the news spread out rather rapidly."

Charles frowned, and before he could take his pistol out, Vlad asked an important question to the whole audience watching him and the Vane Pirates.

"CITIZENS OF BULGE ISLAND, ARE YOU ANGRY THAT I KILLED A DAMNABLE PIRATE?"

"..."

The fear instilled by Ruebard Fiddler and Charles Vane, Reign of Terror on the populace was running deep, and the silence was most predominant, along with the gulps of the people. However, a man's voice was heard from the crowd, as if it was the spark needed for the fire to burn.

"OF COURSE NOT! KILL THEM ALL!"

Vane looked for whoever mentioned that, and once his look stumbled upon Erek, he pointed his gun at the guy, who also fished out his pistol, but was slightly slower than the point of Vane's finger pulling the trigger.

*Gunshot*

"KYAAAA!"

The people panicked sensing the gunshot, but it was only a gunshop, and their eyes turned on Vlad and Charles, where the Pirate's pistol was pointed to the sky, while a spear blade touched the gun's barrel.

"You have quite the vicious temper, boy. Not even allow the simple citizens to speak?"

"Fuck you, bastard. That isn't a normal citizen that spoke, instead is a rat." retorted Charles Vane, looking at Vlad with a murderous look.

"VANE GO TO HELL! MAYOR GO TO HELL! YOU AREN'T THE TRUE LEADERS OF BULGE ISLAND!" shouted Erek, accompanied by other members of the tavern, which set ablaze the spirits of the fearful citizens, who began chanting along with them.

"END TO THE TYRANNY! WE WILL NO LONGER BE EXTORTED BY YOU BASTARDS!"

Ruebard Fiddler looked panicked, and seeing the people start getting closer to him, without consulting with Charles, he ordered his men to start firing at the public, and chaos soon instilled inside the harbor with the first death of an innocent person.

"Vane, kill all the rebels! I will give you all the money you want, especially for the Devil Fruit."

"With pleasure. You've heard the orders boys. Let Hell break loose." ordered Charles in a violent tone, later on looking fearless at Vlad who released a wicked smile, remarking with an unbothered tone.

"Boy, I hope you will not disappoint me and show me what someone of your notoriety can do in a fight."

"Hmph, I'll fuck you up so badly that your swine of mom will not be able to recognise you."

Pulling another pistol from his waist he fired at Vlad's head, only to see something shocking happening right in front of him, the spear morphing into a shield that withstood the bullets.

"That weapon changed forms. How??"

"Magic, you peasant." told Vlad, who quickly morphed the shield into a spear and unleashed a piercing strike, which Vane evaded by pulling one of his pirates to shield himself, having the guy lose his life.

"I will avenge your life, comrade." remarked Vane, who dashed toward Vlad's side while taking from his pockets two iron spike gloves that he wrapped around his knuckles.

Once he got to Vlad's side, he threw a jab which he intended to aim at Vlad's face who was preoccupied with the dead corpse of the pirate. It was a fighting style he never experienced before, but his soldier instincts went on high alert sensing some threat from the jab, and raising his shoulder he blocked the initial punch.

"What an arrogant bastard. You are fighting against me with your eyes closed?"

"Even if I would open them, nothing would change."

"I see, so my feelings were right, you bastard are a blind person."

Saying that, Charles saw Vlad morph his spear into a curved sword with the tall young man sending out a slashing cut that looked menacing straight from the appearance and the power on the attack.

'I'll dodge, and shoot this motherfucker.'

Preparing his strategy, Charles sidestepped using boxing footwork, with the first step moving according to his insight, however, he saw Vlad advance with a speed that rivaled his own, slashing again at him.

"What??"

*Gunshot*

Vlad heard the sound of the guns going amok around him, and with a particular sensation of chill running on his back, which made him crouch down, hearing the cry of a pirate who collapsed on the ground.

"I guess, I will kill your rats. Since guns are a danger even for me."

Following his remark, Vlad turned around, and dashed at the pirates that were keeping occupied by Erek and the various members of the guilds and tavern who jumped at the first real occasion of killing Vane Pirates and ending their rule.

Appearing before some pirates that were fighting against Erek, with a swing of his Kilij he took out their heads, moving to his next targets, giving the impression he was a monster set to hunt them down.

*Whistle* "This guy is the big deal. Boss Arachar mentioned something that he felt about the guy, but I didn't expect him to be so powerful."

Yet, the same tactic was applied by Charles Vane who began attacking each of the rebels standing in his path, not wishing to be outnumbered, but the speed to which he was killing Erek's men, was slower compared to Vlad's slaughter.

Pulling out his guns he began firing at weird intervals to keep Vlad guessing, in doing so, slowing him down while he increased the rate of his attacks, breaking the faces of each guy he was punching.

A flurry of violent boxing combos was the best weapon for Vane, who felt a big satisfaction seeing each of the rebels die under his hands. However, that satisfaction of his would always be broken by the screams of pain released by his men, who were slaughtered like chickens by Vlad.

"PULL THE BOMBS! BLOW ALL OF THEM!"

"YES, BOSS!!!"

Erek stopped all his fighting when he heard Vane's orders and immediately give his retreating order, with only some guys failing to dodge the bombs sent by Vane's pirates.

*EXPLOSION*

The shockwaves of the explosions were a sight to behold, along with the chilling silence of the public, who trembled in fear at this chaotic sight of bodies flying all over the place from the gunpowder impact.

"Hahaha, good job, Charles! I will remember this act of yours forever. I will pay you for each guy you've lost. Now continue and slaughter the rest of those rebels!

Broadhand, send out your men and capture those criminals! Everyone who mentioned something about me and Charles will be sent to the mines."

The fat mayor, seeing that the bombs did the job, up swinging the fight into his side's victory, began celebrating while giving new orders to Charles Vane and Commander Broadhand who started having his men walk closer to the smoke.

In his mind, the victory was assured, but Charles, Broadband, and Erek began hearing a small humming that sounded rather weird, and each of the breaths of the tune turned even more twisted, accompanied by an evil laugh.

"Splendid! This fight beats the one I had with that boy, Malus.

This time I had to withstand five bombs.

Gunpowder, what a magical item It can make a human look nothing but an insignificant ant in its face."

The audience gasped hearing that voice, while Fiddler looked with bulged eyes at the person who made his way from the smoke surrounded in ash, where his skin looked to be covered by some burnt wounds on the arms and legs.

"A monster! He survived a bomb!" screamed the Mayor, who never saw such a scene in his insignificant life, beginning to panic even more.

Through the confusion and shock of the people in the audience, Charles looks calmly at Vlad who looked to be just fine from the bombs thrown by his men, where some even sacrificed for the victory.

"A devil fruit user, right?"

"No comment." replied Vlad with a twisted smile, charging toward Charles and his pirates, starting round two of his fight with the pirates.

Their numbers dwindled swiftly, leaving out only a couple of them alive along with Vane and Broadhand with his squad of marines.

"Those who fear death, piss off. This place has become an Arena where only the worthy shall step on." mentioned Vlad in a ruthless manner, devoid of any emotions.

"Broadhand, let's team up. Have your men watch over Erek with my guys, so he wouldn't backstab us. After killing this guy, we'll jump on them, until every one of those bastards trying to mess with our business are dead."

"Got you."

The Marine Commander gave his instructions to his men, who made a protective shield, not allowing Erek and the other guys to help Vlad, however, their help wasn't needed in the first place.

"Admirable, you two want to face me face to face without those annoying rats butting in? Interesting, I thought you would be hiding behind them."

"Hmph, you look down on us, you arrogant bastard. You'll regret those words of yours."

"Indeed, I look down on you. Prove me otherwise, and I might change my view on you peasants." declared Vlad in an arrogant voice.

Later on, right in front of those "warriors" of the Bulge Island, he morphed the Kilij into an Harberd, which towered over them, giving Vlad the feeling he was an unstoppable beast.

Charles gave Broadhand a look, and both nodded, swiftly jumping into action both taking his left and right side, splitting Vlad's attention.

Nonetheless, this experienced soldier saw all sorts of fighting tactics, from the ones belonging to geniuses to those who acted on despair and emotions.

The duo's strategy was to strike at the same time, it made it seem impossible for Vlad to block both of them, but they were wrong, fighting a spearman in this mysterious guy who started spinning around the Halberd creating a barrier around.

"Take the Pistols, Broad."

*Gunshots*

It was the best choice they had to wound Vlad, but each bullet shot at Vlad released a sound of being deflected by something.

Their attack got blocked by Vlad who morphed the spear into a shield that had a 360-grade radius.

Vane didn't stop his assault, pushing forward fearlessly, entering Vlad's inner range, waiting for the moment he would abandon his turtle shell, yet seconds flew by with Vlad taking his time as if he was strategizing his next steps.

'Get out, you fucking bastard. I will blow your brains out with an uppercut.'

Looking at Vlad, he saw an opening at his feet, and using his cunning mind, he crouched down to sweep the shelling enemy.

*Chuckle*

A sinister laugh resounded while he tried to sweep Vlad, and a chill ran down Charles' spine, wanting to retract his leg, but it was too late.

*ARGHHH*

"My leg!!!"

.

.

A/N: Can we take a moment of silence for Charles's legs?

19