Chapter 51: Settling down the Orphans
228 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 51: Settling down the Orphans


With a new day inside the Island of Athkatla, it's been three days since the ship of the traveling doctor from Picodras become an attraction for the guards of the city and the curious citizens, but some of the people living on this island weren't so fond of the idea of foreigners living in their island.

Such a case was inside a rundown house where a group of guys with ages ranging from 16 to one in their 30s were discussing the recent news circling in town, with regard to the tall doctor who would mesmerize most of the young ladies in town.

"I don't like this new bastard in town … The one from Picodras or whatever is called that shit-stained island." called out a man in his 20s who had a Punk like haircut, whereas his attire was akin to a rough bandit.

"I can agree on that, I also don't like that fucker, especially after seeing how those bitches reacted to him walking in their shops looking for kid's clothes. That feeling of being ignored by the one you love as if you are some dog when someone more handsome appears it's annoying."

"Why not take over his ship and fuck him up."

Various comments about Vlad were fronted out in this rundown mansion, where only the one seated in a luxurious chair, a man in his mid-20s remained silent, contemplating everything being talked about, especially the information with regards to Vlad.

"Boss, do you have something on your mind? If you do, say it."

"I was thinking about this new guy and the place he comes from, that I never heard about. From what those sluts who probed for information, he is someone from far away in the South Blue.

Meaning, on his journey he should have accumulated a decent wealth or better said someone with money to be able to travel this far."

"Right, right. There was something like this being mentioned."

"So, since you want to fuck him up. Why don't we first capture him, and extract all his wealth, also take his ship? I got sick of those annoying monks inside the Skyfruit Temple telling me what I should do or not."

"Boss! Do you want to set sail and become Pirates?" asked one of the bandits, a young one looking to be 16 years old.

"My dream is to build a castle inside Athkatla, and I don't have sufficient funds to do this. I can't get much from the city since those monks would butt their noses in my ass. Which means, becoming Pirates will give us the best opportunity to make money."

"Then we will be able to get the treasure One Piece if we set sail."

"One Piece?" asked the one seated on the chair, looking at the young bandit who had an excited voice.

"Yes, Boss, that's the reason so many people around the South Blue are going to the Grand Line, they are looking for the treasure of the Pirate King, Gold Roger."

The guy with a Punk like hairstyle, having spikes made from his hair, looked at the guy who spoke about One Piece, and having his cogwheels turning, he, later on, asks the rest of the bandits.

"What do you think guys? Are you up for a journey toward this One Piece? We'll use that bastard's ship after we kill him."

"Ayee, I am up to. I've got tired of this place." commented one of the bandits, followed by many others speaking their mind.

"Guys, the time where we'll stay and do nothing will be over. We will no longer have to worry about the Skyfruit Monks sticking their noses in our business. Once we are on the sea, we will be free from any annoyance."

"Also, after we explore the world, and when we return to Athkatla, I still want to achieve my dream of building a Castle on the ruins of the Skyfruit Temple."

Fanul, the leader of the bandits delivered an emboldening speech to his group of bandits, which began cheering with enthusiasm, and not long after the discussion was finished, they went about with their own business.

Various groups split apart, others went on their own, but a specific group of six bandits went to a district of Athkatla which was rather calm, without much activity. Along the way they began discussing the new plan their leader Fanul came about.

"Journeying on the sea? I feel we'll have a lot of fun, and maybe we can also capture some beauties to keep us company."

"Yeah, boss wouldn't mind us picking some bitches from different islands we'll check."

In their new discussion, on the particular alley they noticed the presence of a tall man, with long, black hair kept into a loose tail, wearing a simple buttoned white shirt that he kept open, along with a pair of black trousers, and hunting black boots.

Nevertheless, it was exactly this man that was the main subject of debate when the bandits gathered, the traveler from Picodras who began stealing the hearts of the women in the town. They start frowning looking at Vlad casually stroll in their direction, and can see that behind him, there were 4 kids who were following the man like ducklings.

"What a surprise, and I was wondering why I haven't seen you little bugs in the slum. You've done something very bad by walking away from the shelter." commented one of the bandits, gazing in a menacing manner at Mariegold, Sanzo, and Diana, who began trembling.

"Hey, it's you, the bastards bullying my friends!"

The bandits looked menacing at Atkhan, but chose to ignore him, as one of the bandits who looked the shortest, being at 1,65 meters took a step forward, to glance at the trembling kids, ignoring even Vlad who started thinking what those people wanted.

"If you don't return to the shelter, there will be a problem for us. Boss Fanul spent a lot of money on food for you and also clothes. Wouldn't it be sad for the one who treated you so nicely for you to run away?"

Athkan seeing how he was ignored pointed at the bandit and shouted. "If you continue bullying my friends, I will notify the Temple and Elder Greenwood will surely put you in place."

"Yea … sure." replied the bandit waving his hand dismissing the young boy, who looked a bit taken aback, but in a sense understood why he would dismiss him.

'Have they figured out that Skyfruit doesn't get entangled with the lives of the City? This is bad! I will not be able to protect Mariegold, Sanzo, and Diana with that lie that Elder Greenwood would put them in place.'

The young boy was thinking about his lie, on the possibility he might be discovered, and it was truly as he was fearing.

Since he was telling this lie for about one year, Fanul expected that there would be at least some notification from the Skyfruit Temple with regard to his plans on transforming all the orphans in the city into his toys.

The bandits would stop when Atkhan would tell his lie, no longer harassing his friends, but since Fanul was sure that Greenwood wouldn't even bother with himself, he reached the conclusion that the orphans were fair game, with the exception of those belonging to the Skyfruit Temple.

–– "All is fair game, but you guys shouldn't touch the Skyfruit bug, since it would give the Monks a reason to start sticking their noses deeper on my behind."

Like this, with those words of their leader, Fanul, their verbal aggression began on Mariegold, Sanzo, and Diana, who had now clean clothes, and also looked like the kids of the well-off citizens of the Athkatla.

The same could be said for the little monk, Atkhan, whose crimson hair looked to be silky, and his tanned body also cleaner, everything was clean on the boy except for his Monk Robe.

Hearing their mean words, the orphans moved closer to Vlad, and grabbed hold of his leg, in doing so placing wood on the fire for the bandits who took great delight in the psychological suffering of those kids.

Vlad remained unflinching, listening to the various words that children the age of the orphans shouldn't hear, and they took great effort in making Mariegold feel worse.

"Blondy, you have to return back. I am sure Fanul would love you. Once you grow older I can bet you'll become a great beauty who will become one of Fanul's jewels, just like Eleine.

There's also no need to worry because you'll not be harmed or touched indecently by anyone. Only the Boss will be your master."

The little girl was suffering the brunt of the verbal aggression and even sexual harassment, which makes her to begin to cry.

Atkhan couldn't take the humiliation his friends were suffering, and into a fit of anger, he transformed into his gorilla form, looking closer to adult size, growling at the bandits with murderous intent.

"STOP BULLYING MY FRIENDS! I WILL HURT YOU!"

"Sure, sure. However, aren't you aware that Skyfruit Temple members can't harm citizens of Athkatla city?" commented the bandit who was surprised beyond belief by this change with the boy becoming a creature with gorilla-looking features, full of murderous intent.

Clenching his sharp teeth, Atkhan reverts back to his human form, resulting in the grins of the bandits who mocked the boy's attempt at scarring them. Following their initial success, the shorter bandit placed his attention on Vlad who remained silent the entire time they were bullying the small orphans.

Yet before that guy could even open his mouth. Before ever mentioning some stupid remarks about him, the other bandits saw the tall man extend his right arm toward the guy's head, and without even being capable of reacting properly Vlad was grabbing on the throat of the bandit.

The aura around the alley shifted tremendously, getting colder with each second Vlad captured the throat of the pitiful bandit who initially struggled to get free, only to fail losing conscious as he was beginning to foam.

"Vermin, do you want to get yourself and your entire buddies impaled as a parting gift from me? Hah, I was wrong about this city, since I thought there wouldn't be your kind around, sewer rats profiting over the weakness of human nature."

"Initially, on my first day in this city I couldn't notice your presence at all. No bandit, no thief, no beggar, which in itself painted a decent picture in my head about this. Nevertheless, this made me think about if this is true? A City without bandits? Without their parasites?"

"Then came the second day, the same could be said, everything seemed normal…  The perception shifted when I entered the market on my third day, that's where I noticed the presence of you rats. I picked the presence of many rats in a single place, everyone looking with scornful and hateful looks."

"And with my 4th day here, I can't say I noticed any immoral and senseless acts from you, but is it really so? Those three kids next to me, do they deserve such treatment? In your world of power and superiority, yes, even to my world, if you would have gotten me in a bad mood, I would say yes."

The bandits watching as their friend was starting to lose oxygen in his brain, were conflicted, acting or not and in doing so losing the life of a comrade.

"YOU SON OF A BITCH! RELEASE HIM OR YOU WILL SUFFER OUR ENTIRE WRATH!"

"So scared. Titania, can you see my pulse? Does it care about what those sewer rats spewed at me?"

"..."

He didn't look impressed at all by those curses thrown by the rest of the bandits, resulting in placing more strength in his grip, making the smaller bandit turn blue from his purple color, while Titania who made her presence known by going out from his pocket had an angry expression, clear distaste on the bandits who lowered so much to bully the orphans.

"WE WARN YOU MOTHERFUCKER! IF YOU KILL HIM, YOU'LL PAY FOR IT!"

"Delusional.  I can kill this vermin whenever I feel like it.  In fact, I can end your sorry lives in seconds if I feel like it. However, because I don't wish to spill blood on this island and city, I will refrain."

"YOU!! YOU'LL PAY FOR SURE!"

"Begone from my face, and God knows, if you touch even a strand of hair on their heads…

... I will seriously impale each of the criminals and bandits on this island."

Releasing his grip on the smaller bandit, who was unconscious, reaching ever so slowly to the Gate of Hell, also pissing himself in the process, made the bandits get a hold of him and retreat from this part of the alley.

On the other hand, Vlad resumed his journey accompanied by the 4 orphans, and after about 10 minutes of walking they arrived in front of Grabert's House, while the orphans were worrying about what the bandits might do to them after Vlad leaves their side.

Vlad only places his hand on their heads to calm them down, followed by knocking on the house door, where instead of being welcomed like yesterday by the old man who looked grumpy, this time it was the old man's daughter, Aela.

She was a mature lady with violet hair, who welcomed her new guests with open arms, especially the kids who she studied on the fly, not finding anything wrong about them. They looked like normal kids, without any sickness or problems.

Titania nods her head while hiding inside Vlad's hair, proud that the first step of the plan worked, in making a great impression on their future host, and she couldn't help but chuckle a bit when seeing Grabert with his legs wrapped into a compression band, chilling on his sofa.

Athkan is also surprised to see Grabert, and calls him by the nickname he placed on him, resulting in making the old man laugh amused.

"Wait, is this where are you living Grampa Forge?"

"What do you want, little monkey? Are you by chance also on the adoption list? Want to get adopted by me and learn working with the forge?"

"... Well … It doesn't sound bad at all. If you want … I don't mind it. However, I can't leave the Temple for more than a week."

Grabert's grandson also makes his way inside the living room, surprised to see so many people in one place, especially kids around his age, and he immediately begins introducing himself to the kids, making the old man laugh, nodding to himself.

"I haven't raised a slouch. He knows some manners."

As those kids started getting to know each other, Vlad walked toward the sofa, and sat right beside Grabert, as when they were inside the City Square Garden, listening to the childish and yet amusing conversation that Grabert's grandson had with Atkhan and the rest, making the orphans forget for the big part about the bandits.

"Who wants some cookies and orange juice?" asked the mature lady who returned in the living room with a plate full of cookies and a jug filled with an orange liquid.

"... Is this for us, madam?" asked Atkhan who acted more like the eldest of the four orphans.

"That is right, child. There's nothing to worry about here? Eat as you wish."

The kids beam with a large smiles and start eating the cookies, endulging themselves with the sweet taste of the natural juice. Initially, they started slowly, remembering what Titania told them about manners, but with minutes passing they went on to wolf the cookies.

"Haha, the atmosphere in the house will get better with those four imps. Don't you think Aela?"

"Indeed, Otou-sama."

"Mister Dracul, do you want to be served some wine?" asked Aela, looking at the tall man, who had a particularly handsome appearance that worked even on her as a widow.

"Sure, but I will taste only a bit. I still have other things to do afterwards." replied Vlad casually, placing his feet on top of one another.

"Of course."

The woman was making sure Vlad was left pleased, especially after learning from Grabert after Vlad's visit that he spent half a million of bellies for the plants required for his ointment, and that cost was covered from his pockets. Understanding the kind act from the doctor, she also decided to allow those orphans inside her family.

Even though she was the only parent of her child since her husband left the island to become a pirate, not wanting to inherit the Blacksmith Workshop of her father.

"You know, young Vlad, I am still surprised that you would pick up those kids from the streets and try to give them a chance at a better life. I expected you to be detached from those problems, but I guess … a doctor will be a doctor until his death."

"I have my own reasons, and I am content that you accepted my request."

"This is nothing. I can finally have some apprentices for my Forge. You can have faith in me that those children will grow into fine youngsters along with my grandson. In fact, I even picked on a candidate to train, that shy boy Sanzo, becoming a blacksmith will give him that extra boost of confidence."

"I see no problem in that. They will be in your care after I leave by tomorrow."

Hours passed and Vlad's stay in Grabert's House went on until night, when the time for him to leave finally arose. Gathering the kids who played with Inar, Grabert's grandson, they looked at Vlad with bright eyes, no longer the scared and timid ones from 2 days ago, as if they were attached with this strange man.

"What is wrong, brother?"

"Well, nothing much, but first I will start by saying that I am pleased we managed to find you a home. This means I can go on and continue my journey with a peaceful heart knowing you cheeky brats will be safe.

... By early morning I will depart from Athkatla."

"Nooo! You can't leave the island so quickly. It's only been 4 days, not even a full week. You've got to teach me more of those cool tricks and share those stories with me." called out Atkhan, shocked by Vlad's decision to leave by tomorrow.

Vlad only shakes his head, resolute in his decision to leave the island.

Seeing him reject Atkhan, all of the orphans went and grabbed on one of his legs, even the shy and timid, Marigold, reached her hand closer to his leg and buried her face on his stomach.

"Onii-chan, can't you stay for more days? I want to spend more time with you and thank you for your kind treatment."

*Sigh* "Marie-chan, I can't postpone my journey too much. I don't even know how long it will take me to complete it. Half a year? One year? Two years? This is why I have to go."

"B-But, at least one day."

Hearing her trembling, cute voice, Vlad opens his abyssal eyes that could swallow one's soul inside which initially scared the little, blonde girl, and yet in those moments she also looked at his face without showing signs of fear.

A small smile appears on Vlad's and showing some of his fatherly personality, he extends his large hand which he used to caress the face of the little girl.

"Little Marie, my journey requests that I continue onward, and I can't hold on from searching for my eyesight. Every single day is precious for me, and this is why I can't continue to watch over you.

However, I kept my promise to offer you a warm roof over your head, with good people who would take care of you and offer you all the requirements of becoming a functional member of society."

"B-But, I want to spend more time with you Onii-chan. Now, I don't find your eyes scary."

Vlad shakes his head again and does a "No" while clicking his tongue slowly, caressing the girl's golden hair which was carefully cut by Titania.

"If you promise me that you'll be a good girl and listen to old Grabert and miss Aela. I will visit you again in the future. All four of you little ones. Especially you, monkey pup.

At that time, hopefully, I will be able to see your real faces instead of imagining them. So make sure to grow into a beautiful young lady, that I will not even be able to recognize you."

"Noo! I don't like this! I still didn't prank you! You can't just leave like this." said Atkhan as he transformed into a monkey beginning to bite on Vlad's hard-muscled right leg.

"Now, now. Atkhan, this isn't something a leader should do. Instead, you'll need to grow stronger and also follow my advice by reading books. Only an intelligent leader will be able to defend those he cares for. 

Those three ... If anyone wants to bully them, beat them without fearing what those old people from the Temple would say. What is more important, some people who look at you like a pawn or your family?"

"My family is more important."

"Then, you know what to do. Those three friends of yours, are your family. Protect them as if your life was on the line for them."

"I will, brother. I will." swore the young boy where his body turned into a mix of a monkey and human, beginning to tear up, unable to contain the tears caused by this kind doctor.

Finishing his words for the kids, he pats their heads for the last time, before giving Grabert some final words, saying to him. "Don't let those kids follow me. I have one more thing to take care of before departing to the Sorbet Kingdom."

"Don't worry, lad. I gave you my word. Also, don't forget to visit me when you regain your eyesight, just so I can rub salt on that fool Harl."

"Huhuhu, that's what I will do first. Rarely do I let people get one over me."

Finishing saying his farewell words, while Titania was also done bidding farewell, the 4 orphans wanted to follow him just as he thought, but Grabert closed the door, and told them calmly.

"Don't be stubborn you little ones. You'll just make it hard for that young man. It should be time for your sleep, that includes you too little monkey."

"But I have to return to the Temple, like … right now."

"No, weren't you the one to say you can stay for one week without going to the Temple to report?"

"... Alright. I will stay."

 

Cheer me up! Rate! Comment! Review!
— If you want to read ahead, up to +20 advanced chapters
— Patre0n: patre0n.com/Morpheus146 — Discord: https://discord.gg/CMsHqJVDVD

14