Chapter 55: Onwards to Sorbet Kingdom
254 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 55: Onwards to Sorbet Kingdom


Days and night passed by while the middle-sized caravel continued its direction toward unchanging toward the east on the way toward one of the kingdoms of the South Blue, the Sorbet Kingdom, a place where snow reigned over the landscapes all day long or so the information he gathered before journeying out from Picodras Island mentioned.

There was no snow for 7 days since departing from Athkatla, giving the impression he gained false information, however, it was by night on the 7th day that something which confirmed the information began appearing.

The Seagulls who would usually flock over the crow's nest or the main mast to recover their expanded energy began crying out and speaking with Titania who was feeding them with bread crumbs, nodding her head while Vlad was relaxing in the crow's nest after having his daily training.

*Seagull Cry*

"What information did it share?" asked Vlad who had his eyes closed taking in the winds which increased ever so slightly in intensity.

"A minute, they still have more to tell." replied Titania who was nodding her head as the seagull was talking with her.

On the main deck at the steering wheel, Eleine turned her head high and a glint of surprise could be viewed in her eyes as if she didn't get used to the fact this small woman was able to talk with animals and birds.

"Okay, little friend. Thank you for telling me what you've seen on your journey. Here, have some more bread. You can also take a rest in the crow's nest."

Saying that she patted the head of the laughing gull, before taking off and landing on the wooden frame of the crow's nest, taking a look at the man who had his legs supported by the wooden frame while being crossed.

"If you choose to stay here, you better don't annoy me with your bird's cries. Unlike her, I can't understand you."

*Seagull Cry*

The bird who felt the spirit released by Vlad nodded like a chick, not wanting to mess around with this scary human, and silently it stood there along with many other gulls who took higher ground, resting on the ropes.

"They told me about how we're close to reaching land. However, there will be a lot of snow on our way, and it's the reason those little guys are fleeing from the snow to warmer places."

"Anything else about the weather?"

"No, just a lot of snow."

"Well, it's good enough. At least we took the right route to Sorbet Kingdom and once again the Map created by old Patrick and the rest of the sailors is correct."

Then after some more hours when night arrived Vlad who was wearing his casual clothes, a white shirt that he felt always open, black trousers, and a pair of black boots with his long hair tied into a loose tail, commanded over the steering wheel feeling the first snowflake to ever touch him in this new life.

Titania who was inside the Captain's Cabin watching from the window the beautiful night sky illuminated by moonlight, also saw the snowflakes drop gently over their caravel, and with a wide smile on her face she rushed out landing on Vlad's head telling him.

"It's snowing Vlad! Here, extend your arm to the right and start catching the snowflakes."

Eleine who was seated on a chair close to the captain's cabin also watched the new weather phenomenon that she never experienced in her life, and in a playful way she extended her arm to catch the snowflakes.

"It's a little bit cold to touch. This is the snow I heard you mention the birds saw?"

"Yeah, haven't you seen snow at your home?" asked Titania, turning her head at Eleine whose reaction was of genuine curiosity.

"No, Athkatla is a tropical island. However, I heard about snow from some books and from travelers who checked the tavern I worked at one year ago."

Her tone was calm, but her black eyes showed some interest as she allowed the snow to touch her milky skin that wasn't tarnished by the tropical climate of Athkatla, melting immediately as it touched her skin.

As the Caravel advanced in the night sky, the snowing got even stronger resulting in the snow gathering in various spots on the main deck.

By midnight, the crow's nest was covered in snow, the sails of the main mast also having a blanket of snow, while the main deck also received a lair of snow that required to be cleared, yet, Vlad's expression as he was at the steering wheel was of serenity.

'I wish I could see this scene and remember the winters from back home.'

Passing the night by utilizing the securing mechanism for the steering wheel, on the new day, the girls were pleasantly surprised by the white scenery where thanks to the snowflakes all the eye could see were white.

Eleine who didn't have any winter clothes with her felt the decline in temperature since yesterday, rubbing her palms while checking on Vlad who was at the steering wheel wearing the same casual clothes that he was wearing since departing.

"Master … aren't you cold?"

"... Hmm? Not really.

However, if you want something thicker to wear, go inside my cabin and check the larger cabinet close to the bed. That's where I have most of my clothes.

You'll find one of my winter's coats, while it might not be for your size, it would still be of help."

She nods, and moves inside the Captain's Cabin where she finds herself searching in the large cabinet next to the royal size bed, where all sorts of clothes all made from high-quality materials appeared in her sight. From classic suits that she didn't see around Athkatla, where there were also various models of shoes that would match with the suits.

Simple shirts, blouses, short trousers and long trousers, seeing such a vast garderobe shocked the young woman who believed herself to have a considerable garderobe.

'I can't expect any less from Vlad. Even if he might not be able to see, this doesn't mean others can't see, so he dresses in style wherever he would go. Now, where are those coats?'

Then as she searched around, she saw 5 long coats like dresses of various colors, to a crimson red coat that had the neck side encased into a bear fur pelt, while something similar could be said for the long sleeves which were protected by the same type of bear fur pelt.

"Wow, I have never seen such styles of cloaks even in books. They must be expensive."

Checking around the rest of the cloaks like dresses, from the crimson-red to an orange-yellowish type of cloth, to a dark blue one, then a brown type of cloak with various intricate sewing models of black thread rested on a wooden hanger.

All of them took the eyes of the young woman, however, a dress with dark-green color also clothed at the closing sides with precious fur, similarly to its long sleeves, stole the attention of the young woman, who later on downed this coat like dress, oversized, but clearly she could feel the warmth of the layered material and the furs.

Getting out of the cabin, she paraded herself to Vlad, while asking him.

"It's these the clothes the ones from your island wear?"

Vlad didn't bother himself with the young woman, seeming to be pondering something deeper than the trivialities of daily life, but as the girl insisted on with her question even after Titania told her that the climate inside Picodras is a mild one where winters would be short and that the people there don't wear such coats and dresses.

"That's something I've designed along with an acquaintance from back home to remind me of my traditions and culture. Now, could you two go about doing something else besides floundering and being all nosy?"

Titania kept staying quiet while Eleine backed away to her seat, wrapping tighter the green coat she thought of as a winter coat, and calmly watched Vlad's broad back.

Securing the steering wheel, he moved away, walking inside the cabin followed by the girls who were still on stranger's terms, and picking up from one of the many books he picked from Bulge Island and Athkatla Island, he placed it to Eleine, saying to her.

"Today is your turn to read for me. I feel we'll get this book done in a couple of hours since it isn't that big. Afterward, you are free to ask me anything you didn't understand from your training."

Eleine held the book in her slender hands, and as if she still didn't get used to the truth of her role inside Vlad's mind, unlike what she envisioned, she was made into a reading servant.

Nevertheless, it wasn't as if she hated it, in fact, this feeling of being forced around and being bossed brought her a smaller thrill and after scrolling her eyes on the book's contents, finding it was an adventuring story, she began reading it for Vlad.

Four hours later after reaching the end of the book, she yawned and placed her eyes on Vlad who didn't show any signs of boredom, in fact, he was writing something in his notebook as if he took some notes with regard to the story.

What? She didn't have any ideas.

"Master, I am free to ask away any of my troubles."

"Go ahead. I gave my word I would listen to your complaints." remarked Vlad while his tone emanated the authority and calmness of a king.

"... They aren't complaints, master. For example, today you made me do those strange waist training. Why? I don't think I am in bad shape."

Behind his desk Vlad "looked" without much emotion at the young woman, saying to her.

"For a woman, you are too stiff, as if you only did missionary position all those little years of debauchery. I am trying to fix your stiffness, until then work on the training regime I've given you."

She only smiled widely at him and did some waist movements as if she was a belly dancer from the Sultan's Court, making Vlad wave his hand at her dismissively.

"You are still far away from impressing me with that amateurish dance moves. Only some of the odalisques of the Sultan managed to impress me in the past, but who knows if you continue training just like I tell you, you might reach their level."

"Heh, you could feel my sexy moves? Besides. Want me to become an Odalisque for you, Your Majesty?"

She looked at Vlad with her beautiful smile, and understanding the term, she thought of something only to be stopped by Vlad saying lazily.

"Don't bother to get naked and show off. Do it when I can see you. That will certainly delight me."

"Fine … Can I ask you other questions?"

"Sure, why not. It's not as if I have something better to do while on the sea. After I am done with my training and reading, I usually just ponder about random things."

"When will you teach me how to wield a sword?"

"When you are no longer stiff." replied Vlad shortly, writing something in his notebook while also "looking" at Eleine.

The young woman wanted to rush things and make herself shine bright in front of Vlad's blind eyes, but it was clear that the black-haired man had other plans for her, and deeper reasons, and so, after exhausting her ration of questions she could aks Vlad, she went to his comfortable bed and made herself at home.

With only 2 days remaining before reaching their destination, it so happened that time passed by so slowly, that it annoyed Vlad who knew this sensation and feeling. It only happened to him when he was expecting something so much.

Nonetheless, when the day of 19 May 1514 arrived the traveling Caravel started passing by various smaller ships used for fishing, and aside from those Titania and Eleine could see the "Marine" ships which stood apart from the normal ships used by the commoners of Sorbet Kingdom.

"Traveler!! Traveler!! Are you going for Everfall??" shouted a fisherman containing some surprise in his tone, when noticing the Caravel that had a unique design that didn't belong to this region of the sea, as if he rarely saw people from other regions of the South Blue making their way to his kingdom.

Vlad, who was at the steering wheel still wearing his casual clothes, with an addition to a jacket, turned his head at the source of the sound and began to click his tongue loudly that even the fisherman heard.

"Indeed, sir. How close are we to the Harbor?" responded Vlad calmly, but his voice still contained that fragment of authority when talking.

"You aren't far, about 20 minutes from here. The island will slowly appear once you pass the snow mist veil. The Rock King's Castle will be your lighthouse, so guide yourself using that. You'll for sure reach the harbor if you use the Castle to guide yourself."

Vlad felt like laughing when hearing about using a castle to guide himself, instead of a lighthouse, yet he still showed some appreciation for the kind man who offered his help without even being asked. It made a good first impression when it came to the citizens of Sorbet Kingdom.

Keeping to the indications even though he didn't need them, trusting in his intuition, both pairs of eyes belonging to Titania and Eleine, and the map gifted by Patrick to help him in this journey of his.

"Vlad, we are entering into a white misty region. I can't see much." said Titania while standing on his shoulder, wearing a warm winter dress and also leggings, and tall boots.

"I see the same misty formation. Is this a normal weather phenomenon?"

Having his eyes opened, he turned his head to the sky, making the two girls two perk their heads to one side confused by why he would do this, yet, staying like this for one minute was enough for Vlad to conclude an observation about this weather phenomenon.

"This is snow. It might look like mist because it flows so continuously and disperses equally around the entire direction, like a veil of small stars. Unfortunately, I can't confirm it with certainty because I can't see it with my two eyes."

Noting this phenomenon in his mind for later revision, so he could understand it better, it didn't take long for the Caravel to pass this snow veil and the two girls were shocked by the stunning view where close to them appeared an island covered in snow.

A castle exactly like what the fisherman mentioned was there to greet them watching over the entire lands and the city which they could see in the distance also covered in snow.

Deep into the freezing, blizzard lands of the Sorbet Kingdom lies a large cliff side that housed this large castle covered in snow watching over the city down the large mountainous cliff which rested in the valley.

Listening quietly to everything the girls could see, Vlad stood at the steering wheel emotionless, but deep down he was running again what Patrick told him about Sorbet Kingdom from the words of the merchant called Kylian.

'It matches with what I heard. The castle, the landscape, the city in the valley called Everfall. Then, the mountain in the far distance the girls could see past the Rock King's Castle … should be Yehimal Mountain.'

As he moved closely to the shore of the kingdom, various people noticed the arrival of the travelers, where initially they started shouting "GO AWAY, PIRATES!"

Then later with some observant citizens watching from afar wearing thick winter clothes, the rest noticed that the approaching Caravel didn't have a pirate flag or a marine flag.

"They don't seem so welcoming, unlike that fisherman. I wonder why." remarked Eleine who was wearing her green coat that she tied down around her waist with some of her belts, doing some tricks to shorten the robe to fit her perfectly.

"I heard this kingdom had problems with plagues and failed crops. So obviously they might have some hostility to pirates who would raid them for their precious food."

"Even though there's a Marine presence in the Kingdom? I can see 5 ships of the Marines anchored in the harbor."

Vlad didn't reply and instead listened to Titania tell him the way toward the harbor, where he was required to enter inside something akin to a canal, and along the way, various curious eyes started gathering around the harbor to see the newly arrived travelers.

Whispering and talking between the citizens of the city ensued, as they expected a large group of merchants to make their way out from the large ship by their standard, and yet? From the caravel existed a man wearing a red coat with furs on it, along with a strange hat, a chaperone-styled hat to keep him warm.

He let down his long hair passing past his shoulders, and as he walked down his ship, there was another woman with similarly black hair, black eyes, and milky white skin, wearing a dark-green coat with furs in a similar style to the man wrapped tightly to her body, and even to Vlad's surprise, Eleine brought with her a pair of hunting boots which worked decently on this showy environment.

Walking slowly with a royal gait holding his head high for everyone to glance at him, he would click his tongue whenever he would step down, masking his clicking sound with his steps.

"Mister, are you a merchant? What have you brought? Food?" asked some of the youngsters of the city, going straight for what they were interested in, seeing how the tall man with foreign clothes stepped down on the harbor platform.

"Shhh, don't make trouble for the merchant. It's rare already that we see merchants arriving in our city apart from our own."

Vlad let the people keep talking with each other, and while boiling their curiosity, he also eavesdropped on some of their talks, about the situation in the city, until he had enough of this chaotic mess that was happening in his ears.

"Greetings to you all, citizens of Sorbet Kingdom. Unfortunately for some of you, I am not a merchant."

When saying that, everyone's hopes and expectations dropped immensely, but were once again brought back as if a devilish being was playing with their emotions.

"However, I am a doctor, someone traveling from place to place to seek new knowledge."

Eleine who was next to Vlad turned her eyes on his expression who looked calm, sounding genuine even though she half-knew he was telling them a half-true and half-lie, to not attract trouble to himself.

"You are a doctor, mister??" asked the same youngster who wanted to know if Vlad was a merchant.

"Yea, don't I look like one?"

"Not really, mister Viril has white hair and is always a greedy person."

Hearing that, he remained quiet, only to hear some of the citizens closer to the youngster scold him, mentioning that other places have younger doctors.

"Since mister Kylian did say that about his journeys to outside of the kingdom, but who trusts what he says nowadays."

Vlad, who was starting to lose his patience as he was surrounded by those people, finally heard from the distance the rough voices of some men, who called for the gathering to disperse and not trouble the foreigner merchants.

"The Royal Guards! Let's not get into trouble with those guys."

The citizens were quite to abide by the orders shouted by the Royal Guards who moments later appeared in front of the tall black-haired man and the black-haired woman.

"Have those people troubled you, sir?" asked a large man, taller than Vlad, sitting at 2,1 meters wearing knight armor and wielding a halberd.

"Not at all, but I appreciate the gesture. Should I pay a toll for anchoring at the harbor?"

"... There's no such a thing inside our kingdom. All the merchants are free to come to Sorbet and Everfall by the decree of Queen Conney. Any merchant willing to trade with our kingdom will be welcomed like high-status guests."

"I see, unfortunately, as I said to those gathered, I am only a traveling doctor."

"A doctor? … My apology, mister, for confusing you with a merchant. Your attire is what we imagine a merchant from outside of this frosty region would look like."

"Indeed, he has that vibe like what Master Kylian mentioned in his Grand Adventure around the Sea to buy food for the Kingdom." commented another Royal Guard, who looked to be younger than the one in the lead.

"QUIET!!" was quick to shut down a younger Royal Guard who was in his early twenties, instantly shutting his mouth from speaking further, which picked Vlad's curiosity.

"Well, I have a problem, kind sir. I want to have some sort of protection for my ship while I travel around Sorbet Kingdom. Is there any kind of people offering such services, or is it fine if I pay you soldiers?"

"There's no such service … However, I understand your worry. I will instruct some of the youngsters in the Garrison to watch over your ship."

Vlad nodded, and taking his gold pouch, he took out 50.000 𝔅 in banknotes that he handed to the one leading the group of guards.

"Will this suffice for one month?"

The guards started to count the sum of money in banknotes and were shocked by the generosity shown by this traveling doctor since this amount was worth 5 months of their salary.

"More than enough. You can be at ease, no one will bother your ship. I, Erlan of Wolfsden, give my word that it shall be done."

"No need to stress yourself Erlan of Wolfsden, I just want some patrols to make rounds around the harbor and make sure no imbecile enters my ship without asking my permission."

When Vlad said that Eleine felt a little bit of shame since his comment in a sense also applied to herself, and while settling one side of the many objectives in his agenda, he began asking the guards as he began moving forward out of the harbor.

"Do you have any recommendations for accommodation and also a place to eat? There's another question I have for you, Erlan, where can I find the Marine Base."

"I can help you no problem, but why are you interested in the Marines?"

"For some short business, nothing more, nothing less." added Vlad calmly without showing any nervousness in his manner of speech, continuing on moving forward with the guards along with Eleine.

 

A/N: Overall, your thoughts on the Saga's opening?

.

Cheer me up! Rate! Comment! Review!
— If you want to read ahead, up to +20 advanced chapters
— Patre0n: patre0n.com/Morpheus146 — Discord: https://discord.gg/CMsHqJVDVD

11