Chapter 59: Bonney and her “Friends”
256 2 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 59: Bonney and her "Friends"


On the main deck of the Caravel a young boy about 10 years old with short black hair, looking skinny, was staring at a young girl with pink hair, while on the upper level of the ship was watching the rest of the guests.

"I am not good at wielding swords or knives." commented Bonney being honest with Vlad in regard to her expertise, only to see Vlad smile a bit, telling her.

"Fist to fist, little girl. While I might be a Swordsman, on the other hand, I can also be considered a Grandmaster when it comes to fighting. Someone on the level of a Templar Knight Grandmaster to be accurate."

Taking a relaxed stance while removing the socks from his feet and also taking his shirt, leaving out only a large pair of trousers that were shortened, being something styled akin to a Sirwal, a common piece in the garderobe of a Turk in his time.

Such trousers allowed him enough freedom to move as he wished, and he could also shorten them to his liking.

"Don't be petty if you lose, mister."

"Fantasies, little Bonney." replied Vlad who waited for Bonney to make the first move, and she did, charging at him, throwing a punch at his face, only for him to dodge the fist with only a head movement, touching her stomach gently.

"Opening. You don't throw a first against an enemy with such a wide motion. I could have hurt you badly. Now. Repeat."  ended Vlad pushing Bonney with his skinny hand.

Bonney stopped for a bit, and instead took a defensive stance, as if not wanting to be the one engaging in the fight.

'If I do this like what Uncle Fischer taught me in hand-to-hand combat, it would make my enemy the one attacking. Watching his movements, I will be able to counter him, and later on, attack.'

The young girl was making various scenarios with what skill she had, and seeing Vlad walk slowly to her with no stance, she was confused, lowering some of her tense feelings, only to get scared when Vlad charged at her in a chaotic manner, going left and right like a rabid beast.

And from her side, she noticed Vlad throw a first at her which she barely blocked, trying to catch his hands for a technique she learned, only to miss him. Another hit came like lighting, touching her stomach, this time hurting her, followed by another series of attacks which she started parrying.

When Vlad remained in the pocket landing some of his combos while dodging the attacks coming from Bonney, the difference in the level of skill and experience was abnormal, and the black-haired boy shouldn't even fight the pink-haired girl because it wouldn't be a fair fight.

Yet, the whole purpose of this sparring was something different to Vlad who wanted to teach Bonney something while also telling her, she still had to eat a lot to reach his level.

"What's wrong, little girl? Ready to give up?" taunted Vlad, as he played with Bonney's guard, opening her arms, and landing some hits on different spots of her body.

"If you back away, I wouldn't be able to hurt you at all."

"What, sparring is this where my enemy doesn't even fight back? Come on, lass? Has reality hit you so badly that you can't process what happened to you?"

"Bonney-oneechan, you can do it!" shouted the little brats from the side, trying to be a morale support for the girl who clearly planned something in her mind.

As for Vlad? He wanted to see what this little girl was made out of, if she was a chicken or a dragon at heart by constantly taunting her and bullying her, only to be surprised when one of his punches got blocked in such a way his arms ended trapped in between Bonney's armpits.

Then a satisfying punch from Bonney landed perfectly on Vlad's face, who instead of being panicked or angry, only gave her a wide smile as the punch landed on his small face.

"YEEEY! This is Bonney-oneechan win for sure." commented the little brats who were standing beside Eleine and Titania, making the black-haired woman only chuckle a bit, fully aware from what she understood about Vlad, that he was messing around.

'This is my chance. Fischer's technique worked like a charm.'

Bonney didn't give Vlad a chance to bounce back and started stepping on the gas pedal, beginning her offensive, taking the man by surprise since he was still contemplating while lying on the wooden floor.

Being awakened from his contemplation by the leg strike which targeted his balls, rolling away from harm's way, and doing a kip-up that had the little spectators staring with big eyes at the cool move, he still was forced to step back when Bonney kicked again to his mid-level.

"I see a fast learner here. Trying to end me with a kick on my balls. Tch, tch. Not bad."

"Thanks for telling me that."

"Heh, use it well in future encounters against males. Besides, aren't you a better kicker than a puncher?" commented Vlad, who began parrying some of Bonney's punches, and speaking his observations out loud with the young girl.

"Hmph, you are trying to mess with me again to lose focus."

"Don't mind me, little Bonney. I am talking to myself. But if I think about it, it would be logical, that the body of a woman would be far more flexible than a man. Meaning your kicks have that snap and it's not telegraphed.

"Meanwhile, your punches, lack form. You just go about with what you think would work. But, did you know?"

Asked Vlad while catching Bonney's leg stopping her from her attacks as she was breathing heavily from the effort she was placing in winning. Walking slowly to her, as her head was raising along with his approach, he placed a wide smile that looked slightly twisted.

"Have you considered my proposal? I can make you stronger. Far stronger than you are right now."

"..."

She was silent, trying to get distance between herself and Vlad only to fail.

Entering into an uncomfortable position where her right leg reached close to a vertical position being supported by Vlad's shoulder. Trying to get her leg free, she struggled, but it didn't budge whatsoever, her efforts were only a source of amusement for the black-haired boy, who was holding on to her leg akin to what she did to his arm.

She watched his black eyes which were akin to an abyssal beast chained by the morality and empathy of human nature,  which gave her a chill on her spine, as she started thinking quickly about the situation she was in right now, holding some pragmatism in her thoughts.

'This person … he really wasn't joking when telling me he is far stronger than Uncle Fischer. This chill I have is like when grandma would get really angry at me, or similar to when that person left home abandoning the kingdom.'

'But, I am aware he has his motives for trying to train me. Maybe because of my devil powers? He wants to use my powers on him maybe, just like what grandmother feared people would do once they learn about my powers.'

'However, does he know more about my devil powers than he is willing to share?'

'It must be that case because he really seems to be smarter than that old bag of bones Viril for finding a cure to that sickness caused by the worms.'

'I don't know … If I agree, I fear he might learn more about me, and find out that I am the Princess of Sorbet Kingdom, and then blackmail me. Or … maybe I am just thinking too much since I don't know who he is as a person.'

"So, what would it be?"

"I can't make a decision right now. I have to think about your proposal carefully … But, will you still heal my friends?"

Vlad's expression remained the same, brimming with interest over this young girl studying all her facial reactions and small instinctive gestures she would do unconsciously, signaling her doubt, nervousness, and uncertainty.

"Huhuhu, you little prey hard to get. This is exactly what I enjoy the most. Ohh, don't give me that look, I am not a pervert, just someone interested in fascinating things."

Saying that he moved her leg slowly from his shoulder, and in a way that it wouldn't be an instant drop, the pink-haired girl was once again standing on her two feet, watching Vlad with a doubtful expression, as if he was some creepy old man.

Nonetheless, the response she wanted to hear the most placed her at ease.

"I did tell you that if you capture my interest, I will look after your friends. Besides, how could I not look after the friends of my young lady?"

"... I said I am still thinking about your proposal. I am not your student."

"Sure, sure."

"What about the spar?"

"Obviously. It's my win." said Vlad as he patted Bonney's shoulder, moving toward the Cabin while saying to the pink-haired girl murmuring something to herself.

– "I'll get revenge next time."

"Even if you lost, have you learned something from this?"

"Mhm, that most of what I learned about hand fighting doesn't work against you in practice." responded Bonney with some disappointment in her tone, discovering how ineffective her fighting experience was compared to Vlad and how most of her scuffles in town with the kids were just child play.

It was a point of view she held with regard to her loss, and it made Vlad nod because she didn't try to hide around in excuses, adding an observation to encourage the girl.

"Yet, that countering technique was perfectly executed. Shelling up and snapping like a turtle when the target got too close. It was interesting. It's been ages since I've been hit on my face like this … so be proud of your achievement."

Bonney laughed a bit remembering that strike she landed on Vlad's face, and when she returned to her friends, they were all surrounding her telling her she was cool, and how her punch hurt the boy a lot. Receiving the words from her friends, it made her feel better considering she lost, and not long after the sparring, she heard Vlad call her from inside the Cabin.

"Little Bonney, come inside, I want to ask you something."

Returning back in the Cabin, she saw Vlad wear a pair of black trousers that looked oversized by a lot, where you could fit two of the black-haired boys, along with a white buttoned shirt that he left opened, and on his feet, something she didn't notice because of the fabric of the trousers covering them, was his pair of boots with a thick short heel on it.

"Yes, mister? What do you want to ask me?"

*Sigh* "It might sound drastic. But I was thinking a lot while playing with you. I can't practice my medical expertise or alchemical expertise on this form. Also, if someone attacks me, I am left exposed and weakened, and risking my life isn't my goal."

"Mister, weren't you saying you'll want to enjoy seeing for longer?"

"Indeed, I did say that, and for that, once I finish healing your friends and the rest of foolish people who got themselves caught by the sickness caused by the worm, I want to return back in this smaller form. Can you do it?"

"Sure, but you need to give me more food. I always feel tired and hungry after using my powers."

"No problem, we have a deal." said Vlad who extended his right hand where his long sleeve covering the arm dangled to the ground, and noticing how Bonney looked for a hand, he pulled on the sleeve revealing his skinny hand.

"We have a deal, mister." replied Bonney who activated her devil powers, covering her hand in the pink aura as she shook Vlad's hand, canceling out her powers over the black-haired boy who immediately started growing when his body was engulfed in the pink aura.

She gazed at the boy's shift in appearance, from adolescence to his young adult form, while the clothes on his body were slowly adjusting themselves, until they fit him perfectly.

"Truly a weird sensation. As if you have ants all over your body moving around."

Hearing him, Bonney looked at Vlad whose black eyes returned to their dead state, once again noticing the black abyss she found hard to escape, and only after the man turned around to pick up the crimson coat left on a chair, with him returning to her, she asked.

"Mister, aren't you scared that you lost your eyesight again?"

"No need to address me as "mister", while I am older than you, let's not make it that awkward. Just call me Vlad."

"Okay."

Touching her back calmly, as he started to move out from the cabin, she listened to him.

"You asked me if I am not scared of losing my sight again? Why should I be afraid of losing my eyesight? Initially, when I was only 10 years old, I panicked, being confused about everything around me, as if I was lost. Yet, overtime, your brain starts to tune up to a new melody, receiving sensory information by the way of hearing."

"I see. However, the way I think about it, I don't know if I could live without my eyesight."

"You shouldn't be afraid, because even if you are a blind person, this doesn't mean it's an End of the World scenario. Your brain is actually capable of seeing another shape of the world those sighted overlook, is a world of acoustic images and geometric images.  Besides, it will also make you learn more about human capabilities, and will force you into the biggest and greatest challenge."

"What could that be, mister ... Vlad?"

"A blind person who doesn't give up, will be able to conquer the fear of darkness. The same thing which plagues the minds of those sighted, and I can mention shamelessly that I was among them. Once you conquer darkness, there will be nothing in life that you'll fear."

She turned her head to look at Vlad's calm face as he mentioned the perspective of a blind person, opening her eyes a little bit with regard to this foreign world the man next to her was living under.

Then moving along with him, taking along the little brats and Vlad's companions, Bonney guided Vlad toward the location her sick friend lived, in the slums of Everfall, but along the way, she discovered that a commotion was taking place inside the Ursus Hotel entrance, with many people gathering, asking a blonde man something with lots of emotions.

"I wonder what happened at Ursus Hotel?" murmured Bonney, only to be spooked by Vlad who responded to her question, she intended to be only for herself.

"Those are people interested in having their dear ones healed."

"You can even understand my murmuring?" asked the pink-haired girl, feeling slightly taken aback.

"Trivial. This is a side effect of being blind for 8 years. Other senses grow considerably to balance the loss of sight."

"Indeed, little Bonney, you shouldn't think out loud against this scary person. Especially if it's something important. He will take advantage of that weakness, and you'll be at his fingers." mentioned Titania, seated on Vlad's shoulder, looking around the back alleys of Everfall which were like the ones in Picodras, excluding the snow and icy sceneries.

Bonney kept her mouth shut only for a while before she began telling Vlad some information about Everfall, from various locations of interest and cool spots, which made the other brats tag along in naming interesting spots in the city.

Vlad traveled toward his next patients in this manner, surrounded by constant bickering of brats, but he didn't mind it, and with Bonney stopping in front of a small house made from timber, which from first sight, it was clear it required some repairing.

With some knocks on the door, a boy about 16 years old opened the door, having dark circles around his eyes from tiredness opened to answer the call. He had blonde hair, blue eyes, a lanky built body, standing at 1,76 meters, which was a lot for a youngster, while wearing brown trousers made from wool, having stickers sewed on them, while on his upper body was a long-sleeved blouse with various rips on it, and old age sign.

"Bonney? You brats … What are you doing here? Haven't I told you not to visit me and my brothers since they got cursed by the Mountain Spirit."

"Shut up, Riannon. I don't have time for your worries. Let me inside, I brought a friend who can heal the Curse." said Bonney with a bossy tone while trying to push away her friend, but who didn't budge at all, especially after seeing Vlad and his foreign clothing style.

"You… Have you asked the old hag to bring a doctor from outside? Didn't she agreed with old Viril's claim that there was no cure to the curse?"

"Stop speaking bullshit, Riannon. And step aside. The faster my friend here heals those stupid 3, the better it will be for them." remarked Bonney containing some anger in her purple eyes, while pushing the boy aside, only to be shoved back, landing into Vlad's arms, as he held her by the shoulders.

"I don't trust any foreigner. They all have evil intentions, especially the pirates which the old hag does nothing to stop once they come around town."

The boy stared hostile at Vlad, only for the gesture not to be reciprocal, but what the tall black-haired man, wearing expensive clothes mentioned angered him.

"Little Bonney, didn't you say these are your friends? Have we got to the wrong place?"

"No… It's just this stubborn idiot who doesn't like to listen to me. Always believing whatever shit comes up into his mind."

While the group stopped at the door because of a skeptical youngster who didn't trust Vlad for various reasons, from inside the wooden house, the sickly coughing of youngsters could be heard by Vlad who had an astute hearing.

*COUGH*

*COUGH*

He shifted his focus on Riannon by opening his closed eyes, and immediately the youngster felt an invisible pressure spread around him.

"Brat, don't waste my time. Now get off my way, I have some kids to heal at little Bonney's request."

No warnings sent, Vlad stepped forward and pushed Riannon away from his way, without giving him any chance of fighting back, as he walked inside the small house that was more like a cabin when he used the Echolocation.

"Rian, what's going on outside? Did Bonn come to bring us food? Cough, at least I can have a last great meal before the Spirit claims me." asked a sickly voice belonging to a boy who was laying on a bed positioned closer to a fireplace that kept the temperature in the room to a warm level.

The sick boy who was about the same age as Riannon from the size, opened his eyes slowly only to be shocked when a total stranger appeared inside, and the same could be said for the rest of the boys lying on their separate beds close to the fireplace.

"The Spirit has come to claim us directly? So the stories were true, about those visited by the Dark Spirit of the Mountain." remarked the youngster in a weak voice, only to notice Bonney and the rest of the kids storming inside the room, to get at their side.

"LEADER!!"

Three of the small brats got to the bedside of the one who opened his eyes first, and with a dry cough, he barely managed to push the brats away from his bedside.

"Don't approach me, you idiots. I've been cursed, it might get to you too. Bonney, what's the meaning of this? I remember telling you when Riannon brought us back from the Mountain, to not visit us. … For fear you'll get the curse."

"Quiet, Allan. Stop stressing yourself so much about me."

"LEADER! Big sister managed to bring a doctor from a faraway place who came visiting our island. He promised you'll be cured. Right, mister Doctor?" called out the little girl, turning her head at Vlad who moved his hand to his head.

Then like magic, a black cane appeared which was used to press the one called Allan back into a lying position.

"Who are you? A foreigner … you must be a pirate since there's no one else but those kinds anchoring down in Everfall to get supplies for their next destination."

"Brat, stop wasting your energy on empty talk. Would a pirate stopping on this island ever bother with buggers from the slum? Think for a bit if you are close to reaching the Death's Door."

Allan tried to wrestle off the black cane pushing him into a lying position, which had the other 2 guys suffering to curse Vlad for trying to harm their leader while trying to get off their beds.

"Interesting resilience, even though you should be in excruciating pain, and feeling like your body is burning and being stabbed all over, you still have the courage to oppose me."

"Noo, mister, mister. Don't harm the leader, he is our brother who always looked after us, bringing food for us to eat." said a little boy of about 11 years old, rushing to shake Vlad's crimson coat a bit.

"Little Bonney, tell them what I told you since they would believe you rather than me. Word by word, what is the cause of their sickness, and how they caught it."

"Bart, Bim, Gelbin, Sina, can you four go for a bit out of the house? I feel it would be too scary for you to hear about the cause of the curse."

Feeling how the kids complied with Bonney's request, Vlad stopped the brats using his cane, creating a barrier.

"No need. They are big enough to comprehend and understand the cause of the Curse. It will be an eye opener for them from an early age, so when they are older, they will know what happened to them if they travel to the Yehimal Mountains."

Bonney could only give in to what Vlad added, and by beginning her story, everyone, including Riannon who watched Vlad from behind with hostile eyes, got stunned by what was revealed.

When the pink-haired girl finished the story told by Vlad, Riannon was first to call it lies, only to notice the black-haired man wearing his Black Chaperone to take something from his pocket.

"What, are you now planning to cover up your lies after fooling Bonney? She is easy to fool since she is a girl, but it doesn't work with us guys."

"Ohh really? Is she easy to fool? Well, well, what a friend. Then, what about this worm? Do you want me to release it, and have him eat you alive?" asked Vlad with his voice turning chilling, giving the smaller brats goosebumps, and what was revealed next to them from the object covered in the black cloth, was even scarier.

Three finger-sized bugs, with a devilish appearance thanks to the dried blood, were fighting against the glass walls to get out, shrieking the moment Vlad took the cover which acted as a calming tool.

"Lies? Boy, do you think I would even bother to make a lie for you to believe? That even your "friend" would lie to you even though she did so much for you to have me come here and heal you. I am disappointed in what I've seen, little Bonney."

Placing back the black cloth on the jar, and returning it to his pocket, he later turned at Bonney and told her calmly.

"For the treatment, I need some boiling water, hot charcoal, and some ropes."

"Only this much? Are you sure, mister Vlad? Ahh, I guess you are serious. I will bring them right away. Hey, Riannon, you stupid fuck, where are you guys keeping nowadays the empty buckets?"

"Same place you …"

"You what?" asked Bonney looking with an angry expression at the young boy, clearly annoyed by the distrust he was showing in her, even though she even had to fight against Vlad and win his interest in her.

"... Nothing, it's the same place. While the ropes are in the kitchen hanging on the top of the chairs."

"Hmph, good enough." harumphed the young girl, as she continued, following Vlad's instructions which brought a small evil smile that he hid from the eyes of others.

'Even better. I thought she was connected deeply with those buggers, that she would decline from journeying out with me. However, something troubles me, a character I don't know anything about … "The Old Hag" who could that be?'

'The little girl's grandmother? Probably. Nevertheless, I will find it sooner or later.'

 

A/N: Sometimes is nice that we consider who our friends truly are. However, is nice to see Bonney having a substantial victory.

.

Cheer me up! Rate! Comment! Review!
— If you want to read ahead, up to +20 advanced chapters
— Patre0n: patre0n.com/Morpheus146 — Discord: https://discord.gg/CMsHqJVDVD

10