Chapter 67: Ascending Yehimal Mountain (1)
197 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 67: Ascending Yehimal Mountain (1)


Five days passed since the medium-sized Caravel relocated to another place inside Sorbet Kingdom, with the ship standing lonely surrounded by a large veil of snow, where the rivers discharged from the large mountain in the distance to the Cold Sea.

The scenery was lonely, especially with the ship looking to be abandoned, being left to face the wrath of nature while its masters were on a journey unknown where they will return or if they will get back alive.

Nevertheless, down in the lower deck of the Caravel inside a laboratory room, some oil lamps were dimly lighting the room, where various jars containing worms of various sizes and colors, remained quiet without even shaking as if something made them freeze like stones.

One could see many pieces of alchemical equipment, even a distilling tool, where the test tubes contained some black liquid giving off a rotting smell making it hard to stay around the room. Everything was placed in order, while on the smaller table not far from the workstation, a notebook was left open with the ink already being dried.

The writing on the specific page left open was chaotic as if the one who wrote it rushed to write down the various observations that kept on flooding in his direction, with sketches of the anatomy of the worms looking akin to the ones in the Glass Jars.

[31 MAY 1514

-  The first rendition of the < Elysium Serum > has been concocted successfully.

-  70% of the Test Subjects have been destroyed in the process, being left with only 172 Maggris Worms to experiment with and extract their saliva.

The writing on the notebook kept in a chaotic form, with endless ideas being placed down, from weird names, to alchemical formulas taking in consideration integrating the "Elysium Serum", some of the writing couldn't even be understood, as if the one inscribing on the notebook did it intentionally.

Yet, what about the owner of those notes? Why did he leave things in the laboratory in such a way?

Over the far distance from where the Caravel was anchored in some wild place close to the mountain that towered over everything, inside a winter's path along with the fir trees being coloured in the white spread around all the eye could see on the way to the mountain's base.

It was there on this snow-covered forested path in the wilderness of the Sorbet Kingdom that a group of 3 people wearing winter clothes were doing a slow-paced hike in an attempt to get closer to the mountain that seemed close, but was far from reach. This was the new location, the master of the Caravel and of the laboratory was currently journeying to the Yehimal Mountain.

A tall man about 1,95 meters wearing a crimson winter coat, that offered a lot of protection, with his head covered by a thick black Chaperone styled hat which could deal with the winter's winds and snow decently, even protecting the man's long ink-black hair which he kept styled short tied around to fit inside the hat.

At his right side, was a beautiful woman with similarly black hair, Dark-Blue styled Chaperone Hat as if being done by the same hand, while her attire consisted from a dark-green winter coat wrapped nicely around her body, revealing some of her curves, as for her feet she was wearing a pair of black huntress boots with a short heel.

While on his left side was a decently beautiful young girl, with long pink-hair held inside a brown Chaperone Styled hat, matching with her brown winter coat, clearly giving the impression that everyone was prepared for this journey, including the Fairy resting on the man's shoulder, who even had a thick scarf around her mouth.

"Mister Vlad, are you sure it will be fine having you without your sight?" asked the pink-haired girl, feeling a bit nervous joining this group of people she barely knew for about 6 days, even though they gave the impression of being truthful with her, even warning her what she would get herself in by joining Vlad in this journey of his.

Vlad kept moving forward on a path where snow wasn't so high to become an inconvenience, and while hearing the worried voice of the pink-haired girl, he remarked calmly.

"As I told you, when we first departed from the ship. If I am to go in my child's form, I wouldn't be as alert as I am right now. Simply put, I can't react as fast as I do when I am in this adult form."

"But having your eyesight back would be far better for the journey." commented Bonney, who wanted to assure herself this journey wouldn't get her into danger.

"Ohh, and who would carry those heavy backpacks? I have on my back about 50kgs of supplies to keep us going for one month without being required to return to the ship once we slow down. I for example, don't want to bother putting too much strain on my younger self, even though I might be able to carry that weight."

"... Still."

"There's no "Still" young lady. If you turn me back into a boy, being able to have human vision, it would only benefit me, while you girls once a danger comes in our way, will be sitting ducks, most likely. So, in the eventuality of some wild beast or monster attacking us, it is better to have a body that doesn't have too many flaws."

"You know, little Bonney, in life you have to know when to play safe. However, this doesn't mean you'll become a pushover, on the contrary, you need to reach a balance."

It didn't take too much of an explanation to make Bonney understand that it was better if Vlad remained in his adult form, especially since even herself didn't know what to expect from climbing Yehimal, since she only heard stories about this place from her friends and acquaintances.

'Just like the girls said, I will not have much success in convincing him of some ideas. Yet, he is right when it comes to moving in his adult form. It would strain my body too much if I would have to activate my Devil Fruit powers to turn him from child form to adult form according to the situation.'

She was mentally active on the entire journey, taking in the new sceneries appearing in front of her eyes, with the serene forest path which was claimed by the winter and snow, and as minutes passed with the group climbing slowly to a higher altitude that she initially didn't feel.

Only when she turned around trying to see if she could spot the Caravel, she noticed how far into the distance was the Sea and the Caravel.

The ship who got anchored in an obscure location, being reclaimed by snow, granting camouflage to it.

'Wow, we got so far already? We only began the journey in the morning by 6 AM with the first rise of the sun.'

"If you are curious, we've been walking at a decent pace for about 4 hours. Thus far I am satisfied with your girl's pace." remarked Vlad, feeling Bonney turning around, slowing for a brief moment as she took in the new scenes of her environment.

"Master, I didn't even feel it. Are those the gains I made from getting trained by you?" asked Eleine with a curious tone, since she understood her situation with regard to her physical condition better than the rest.

"I wonder what gains you made? Do you want to carry one bag? It weighs only 25 kgs, it will for sure be a good start for you." replied Vlad sarcastically, silencing the black-haired woman who smirked a bit, declining the offer.

"This is a job only a capable man like you Master, can do. Entrusting such a task on such a meek girl like myself? It would go to waste."

Vlad waved his hand dismissively, knowing that Eleine was only talking, having a sweet mouth about herself, and in such a manner the group kept on talking, turning their mountain climb into an enjoyable process, which didn't look whatsoever as a climb because of the slow elevation gain over the massive mountain.

Feeling himself going slower by the minute, he stopped in place "watching" over the tall mountain, making the girls wonder why he chose to break now.

Yet, they soon felt a tremor in the ground, as if something was shaking with a lot of intensity, like an earthquake, getting stronger by the seconds, and from nowhere Vlad did a spinning kick confusing the girls even more before strong winds were unleashed along with a wind blade shining with a dark-blue color that created a clean pathway for the group.

This wind blade went along for about 2 kilometers until it slowly died, but the force inside this technique was staggering for the girls, where only Titania who was holding on Vlad's hair understood what this technique was all about.

Bonney could see first-hand some of Vlad's abilities, where he effortlessly cleared out a large path of heavy snow, even revealing the ground with a single leg kick which in her own world was unheard of.

She walks slowly toward Eleine trying not to sound too awkward while she asks her in a whispering tone.

"Eleine, can you teach me that technique Vlad showed?"

On the other hand, Eleine started chuckling, finding it amusing that this girl who almost spewed the food she cooked for her in her face the first night she slept with them, now warmed up to her a bit, or better she thought she already knew this technique.

"Sorry sweetheart, but as I told you that night, I haven't been with Vlad for that long. It's only been close to one month since I joined him, and he still hasn't taught me such advanced techniques. For now, I only know some sword techniques and some hand-to-hand combat techniques."

"Really? Mind showing me?"

"Now? There's no enemy to fight … Maybe later." replied Eleine as she watched the pink-haired girl with a small smile, before reverting back to her cold appearance.

Vlad, who could hear their discussion, started humming something that would take off some of the boredom from his mind as he advanced on the cleared path, but him humming made it enjoyable even for the girls. And being aware that Bonney showed interest in learning from him, as she saw various techniques that took her eyes, he asks her casually.

"I did mention to you that I would teach you if you want. But do you really want to learn from me?"

Being faced with such a question as she advanced toward Yehimal Mountain, she couldn't help but wish to get stronger, strong enough to get answers from a certain someone who abandoned her, but she kept that reason to herself, and instead responded with something else on her mind.

"I do. I really want to learn how to defend myself."

"Ohh, only defending? My teachings aren't about defending oneself, but harming one, but knowing to fight would also help you protect yourself. Besides, do you have a weapon preference?" asked Vlad who laughed a bit knowing that the girl spoke with half a heart, still interested to hear if she had any preferences with regard to weapons.

"A sword like Eleine? Aren't you a swordsman?" inquired Bonney the obvious, only to be made fun off by the tall man.

"Doesn't fit you. From our little spar, I could take in some of your preferences and personality in combat. Your weapon of choice should be daggers, because you can combine them easily with a close-combat style and maximize the abilities of your Devil Powers."

"Okay, sure. But aren't you a swordsman? Wouldn't I have to learn on my own how to wield a dagger?"

Eleine gave the girl a look that said "Really girl?" The same was for Titania who knew about the vast expertise Vlad had with weapons, being able to wield all sort of weapons with an advanced mastery as if he had been practicing them for decades.

"What? Why are you girls giving me that look?"

Bonney was confused, and when she heard Vlad laugh at her, a pout appeared on her beautiful face, getting annoyed by the fact she was being made fun off, and for the whole duration of the journey until a sudden stoppage, when the group managed to climb to an height of 1800 meters, that three Giant Bears appeared in front of them having a form mixed with a Cave Bear and Polar Bear.

The beasts appeared larger than a normal-sized bear, especially when they got on their two legs and began roaring in a threatening fashion, appearing tall like giants, that it made even Vlad look small in comparison, standing at 6 meters tall.

The smell released by their breath was slightly repulsing, while their presence could make a commoner tremble in fear, starting doing his prayers, already making peace with the fact of its death.

It wasn't the case for the black-haired woman who opened up her green winter coat, swiftly taking a slender longsword that initially belonged to Vlad before switching to the unnamed black sword.

"Stay your hand, Eleine. Those monsters are mine to take." said Vlad who was indifferent to the appearance of those wild beasts, aware of their presence since reaching closer and closer to the 1800-meter mark.

'Should I tell him to retreat? Those are the Yehimaly Iron Bears. Terrifyingly strong beasts who are troublesome even for the Royal Guards to defeat.'

"L .."

Before she could even speak her mind, Vlad began walking forward toward the large beasts showing no signs of fear, in fact the air around him was akin to a predator facing his prey.

"Little Bonney, you asked me if I know how to wield a dagger, right? Also, you might question my abilities to teach you right? About hand-to-hand combat and so on? Then, let me present to you some of my abilities."

"No need, let's retreat. Those are Iron Bears, their bodies are hard just like iron, and it requires a lot of strong hunters to hunt them down."

"Retreat? Huhuhu, against those weak beasts? I haven't trained my body for 8 years to now have to step back from my goal?

Now, be a good girl and watch. You too Eleine."

"I'll be sure to watch everything you do, Master."

Stepping toward the bears that were roaring from the top of their lungs, he didn't even gesture a sign of fear on his face, and acted as if he encountered some rabid dogs that were supposed to be killed.

As the bears started their attack on him, beginning to rush and attempt to lunge at him and torn this territorial enemy into pieces, Vlad morphed the cane he was using to check around the ground into a longer dagger and with a ghostly speed hard to follow he began sprinting toward the monsters.

'What??? Are you planning on killing yourself by doing such a reckless thing?'

Bonney could barely follow Vlad who at times would disappear and appear closer to the bears, and when he got right next to the Iron Bear she saw him slash the Black Dagger delivering a nasty cut on the large body of the bear he targeted.

Roaring from pain, attracted the attention of the other two bears who swiped with their front claws which contained sharp claws akin to small daggers a human would use in combat, yet those monsters failed miserably because Vlad disappeared from their sight, leaving their attacks for the wounded bear.

A change in their expression happened immediately when harming their own kin, but it wasn't for too long since they also got a taste of the same medicine, with Vlad slashing with his dagger building up some swift movements and a balanced technique that wasn't too overcommitted for extra attacks.

The bears looked at Vlad with ferocious eyes, but Vlad had his eyes closed for the entire time, giving the impression he wasn't even acknowledging them as enemies, which infuriated them even more, than the wounds suffered.

"What is it, you rabid dogs? Angry for not being able to do much against a puny human?"

"Hahaha, too bad. This is the disadvantage of having such a large body when fighting against intelligent opponents. You are just targeted dummies for me and my dagger attacks."

While the fight between Vlad and the Iron Bears was a one-sided business, the girls watching from a safe distance could see various dagger techniques which the black-haired man actually performed slower than usual, catering to the watching audience.

Then, he also added into the mix some fist strikes, which initially worried Bonney knowing that those bears had tough bodies.

'Is he human like me?'

Bonney started rubbing her eyes at the display of power she received from Vlad, not believing what she was seeing, on how Vlad was man-handling those bears even with his fists and kicks.

A man fighting in such a manner against the wild beasts of Yehimal Mountain, never had she heard of such feats. This made her watch carefully each of Vlad's movements, and whenever he would slow down to perform a technique, she would try to memorize it in her mind for a later attempt in her spare time.

After 5 minutes of fighting the Iron Bears, the beasts dropped to the bloody ground, where only a man with his crimson-red winter coat wielding a long dagger stained in blood was standing tall like a statue.

"Was that good enough for a first preview of what's to come, Bonney-chan?" asked Vlad who swung in the air black dagger removing all of the blood from its blade.

"Y-Yes, no complaints."

"It was a splendid display of power, Master." added Eleine walking toward Vlad who stopped in front of a slain bear, watching up close the large beasts who she never encountered in her life.

"Can I?"

"No, I have a use for their fur, and this is why I even stopped wounding them too much with the dagger."

"Hmm? What could that be for?"

"Watch. This is another important lesson for surviving in Mountainous Regions, where you don't know how hard the snow season would be on you.

Bonney, this applies for you too since you are an inhabitant of Sorbet Kingdom."

"Could it be? Are you taking off the fur from the bear? Do you mind if I watch it?"

Not saying something, it meant he didn't have a problem with her request, and the ladies saw how swiftly Vlad began taking out the fur from the bodies of the bears, while later on starting to process the meat of the beasts.

"Remember girls, nothing goes to waste. When you struggle to feed yourself, you can't complain that some cuts of meat are harder than the rest. Just boil it for longer until it gets tender."

.

.

The survival lessons took about 35 minutes, and afterward the group continued on their journey, encountering all sorts of beats that saw Vlad and the girls like the perfect prey to hunt down, only to fall on the fate of being preyed on.

Such that, with a mountain climb that got slower and slower with each increase in altitude, when night started making its presence felt, Vlad who didn't know at what altitude he was, either being 3000 or 4000 started looking for a place to make his camp.

Lucky for him, there were some trees that he used to make his camp, settling the girls who began mentioning to Vlad something she found strange.

The Tent he placed in a safe zone which even contained the protection of some trees, was akin to what some nomads would have, but on a lower scale. A tent that could accommodate about 4 people, and there he was resting himself along with Eleine and Bonney who had the adventure of her life.

"Vlad, I feel my body getting weaker for some reason. Also my head hurts a bit."

Eleine, who lived all her life without experiencing such mountain climbs, showed signs of altitude sickness or it could be something else, like the Maggris Worm who managed to bite her.

"You felt your legs being bitten?"

"N-no. You know I would sleep on myself and not tell you if some of those bugs would bite me. I just, I don't know how to explain it. Feel slightly nauseous."

"Mhm, I know what you are experiencing, it should pass with time since you need to acclimate yourself to the new height. For now that I built the camp and we got the sleeping tent, you should take it slow and take in some breaths of air to oxygenate yourself."

Eleine who felt bad, watched as Vlad touched her leg, and with a smooth movement removed her boots and later on took off the pair of socks which were wet from the snow that might infiltrate inside the boots and her sweat. She also played a bit with her toes, making her move around her toes feeling ticklish.

"Master, not here. It's embarrassing."

Not saying a thing, while playing with her feet unknown if he was doing it to warm them up or having some testosterone which was awakening in him again, building up his sex drive. When the world was most dear to Eleine, she grimaced in pain when Vlad popped her toes and began doing some chiropractor procedures on her feet.

"Ouch, master. I haven't signed up for such sex plays."

"What play, you silly maid? I am relieving some of the pressure which got into your joints, and you think of something sexual. Be mindful that we have a minor with us."

"Little Bonney, why don't you turn around and go to sleep since it's late already." remarked Eleine, watching Vlad with a desiring expression as he was messing with her feet as he liked.

"... But it's not time to sleep yet."

"Tch, shut it, you crazy woman. Has the sickness magically disappeared from you?" asked Titania, who landed directly on Eleine's shoulder pressing her index finger on her neck.

"... Stupid Fairy, if we were alone now, I would have puked all over your body. Che, not even having some alone time with Master nowadays."

A/N: I've done a lot of immersing watching Everest Climbs Documentaries

.

Cheer me up! Rate! Comment! Review!
— If you want to read ahead, up to +20 advanced chapters
— Patre0n: patre0n.com/Morpheus146 — Discord: https://discord.gg/CMsHqJVDVD

12