Chapter 69: Heavenly Gate
172 4 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 69: Heavenly Gate


Two days passed since he returned the girls to a safer altitude that they were acclimated to, and telling them his plans regarding the reconnaissance mission, Eleine and Bonney wanted to push along with him, but he declined them since he wouldn't even bring Titania with him in his journey to the summit of the mountain.

"Girls, playtime is over. I will no longer look after you in this part of the mountain since the summit waits for me for almost three weeks. As you stand right now, you've hit your goals and managed to pass the Test of Courage."

"It does leave me with a great taste in my mouth when you say it like this. However, you are right in your assumption, we would only drag you down if we continue climbing along with you." commented Eleine, with slight distaste in her mouth for being unable to reach the summit with Vlad.

"You'll have future occasions on climbing the mountain again to the summit when you are prepared. As of today, you are not prepared for the next part."

Bonney remained quiet in this matter, feeling okay in her mind knowing she already beat her friends when it comes to climbing the Yehimal, reaching greater heights, and yet that compliance of the girl was noticed by Vlad who sent her a finger flick.

"Satisfied with your performance, little girl?"

"For a first attempt, it wasn't that bad. Right?"

"Wrong approach at looking at things. You managed to get so high on the shoulders of others. Next time when you grow older and far more experienced, climb the mountain on your own. That will be a far more satisfying challenge."

"Still, I managed to beat most of the records of the ones I know."

"Good for you, but in the grand scheme of things means absolutely nothing."

Going along with the final preparations and checks, he turns at the Fairy standing on Bonney's head, watching him with a sad expression, and he couldn't understand what was on the Fairy's mind.

"Titania? Something on your mind?"

"... No. Just be careful and return in one piece. Also, make sure you double-check on that Echolocation ability of yours while you climb because you were almost claimed by the mountain if not for me alerting you."

"I will. Also, my bad for not bringing you along."

"I understand why. No need for additional words."

Both the man and the Fairy reached a state of communicating just from their states of mind, and not long after Bonney and Eleine went to sleep, Titania watched from outside of the camp as Vlad departed into the night.

He began ascending the Yehimal Mountain by 4 AM, returning in three hour at the 7,482-meter height range.

Then from that point, he moved slowly akin to the moment he climbed Galena when he was alone, just a blind man, trusting on his instincts and passive echolocation to advance forward. Half a year was enough for a person to improve themselves, and now that he boasted of a new unique ability, the situation at hand eased up immeasurable.

Mapping his surroundings akin to a bat navigating a whole cave system in the dark, thanking the blind old man who showed him about Echolocation, such an ability that changed the perspective he looked at things in his mind.

While his tongue and brain worked non-stop to map around his surroundings his hands were used like ice axes, enabling him a secure grip of the difficult to traverse slope. It got to such a stage that the Black Sword wasn't used like a cane to help him around the rugged terrain.

Climbing this mountain while draining of his energy was a blessing in disguise for his body which adapted constantly to the harsh conditions. His body requested a lot of oxygen, and he was trying his best to deliver using his breathing technique.

Nonetheless, with hours flying by, from the safe distance of the Base Camp settled at 6358 meters, Eleine tried to look at the peak of Yehimal Mountain, shrouded by a veil of clouds, but then the figure of a crimson-clothed person who was ascending slowly up the mountain appeared in her gaze.

"No way! Did he get so high in such a short span of time? Isn't this past the point we stopped?"

Eleine couldn't believe her eyes seeing Vlad climb so high so quickly. She also didn't know at what altitude he was after all his figure looked so distant from where she was standing watching the breathtaking scenery of the mountains.

"Titania, Bonney, come here and see what I found!"

Calling the girls from the tent, she pointed in the direction of Vlad climbing where his mastery over the mountaineering craft was in full display.

"I knew he would get reckless and push himself to get to the summit swiftly. Hah, at least he looks to be enjoying himself?"

"Mhm? What do you mean by that Fairy?"

"See how he would jump to attach himself on some rocks? Looks reckless and stupid right?"

"Yeah. No sane person would try that at such an altitude."

"That's enough to tell you that Vlad is in good condition. Since he wouldn't attempt such tricks being aware he would fail and lose his grip."

Watching along silently following his figure as he also disappeared in the clouds, Eleine even though she wasn't a religious person gave off a prayer in her mind so Vlad would return intact, while Titania also had her hands together with some grass around this desolate location starting to appear in a magical manner.

Bonney too was shocked at the high Vlad could get, trying to imagine how much pressure was on his shoulders since she felt that if she attempted to go higher from the 7,482 mark, her brain would break.

'Uncle Fischer managed to climb to something like 8000-8400 meters. While Uncle Garald climbed higher based on his and uncle Fischer's claims.'

'... While dad … managed to climb higher than everyone, but still failed to summit the mountain because of the extreme conditions and frostbites all over his body.'

'Mom told me this is how he won her heart when she saw him return, barely alive full of frostbites, but still having the power to smile at her even in that condition of his.'

Her expression got a bit worried going in the wrong direction of her thinking process, believing Vlad wouldn't make it regardless of how confident he was in his abilities.

Yet the one who continued climbing Yehimal Mountain reached the Death Zone of 8000 meters high, where the signs of fatigue were growing even stronger on his large body who was climbing slowly but surely to a higher place.

'I shall begin conserving my energy, so I can get higher. This is a marathon not a sprint as the old man continued to tell me. No need to rush to my death head-first and just take it slowly.'

All of his breathes were accompanied by the frigid cold which would get inside his lungs, the winds blowing at his face bringing along the snow from the mountain which hit his face began freezing his face, but without affecting him too much since he had his eyes close for the entire time he climbed to the summit.

The extreme climb started getting back at him at 8,848 meters where he paused from his climb, starting to take large breaths of air which were far lacking compared to the lower altitudes.

'Got heavier on me, but I can proceed further. For now, let's begin oxygenating my brain so I don't pass out.'

Holding himself using one hand that was stabbed in the solid rock, fully locked in place, he began to take small breaths of air, inhaling and exhaling, before his rhythm increased. His breaths of air morphed to something akin to a Dragon's breathing, that even his diaphragm was pushing to his chest, giving the impression he had a void in his stomach area.

Like this his diaphragm started a maniacal dance, while he was breathing like a crazed person, until his exhale was echoing in the mountain giving a menacing atmosphere around this black-haired man.

With a refreshed mind, he began climbing higher, using a series of climbing techniques, but relying for the most part on his finger technique which secured his grip, and while time flew by, he reached 9,543 meters high, experiencing all sort of devastating weather conditions. So inhospitable was the mountain with his body that it forced him to think about moving steps in retreat, and rethink his strategy for the climb.

Nonetheless, he stayed around this high-zone mapping out his environment with his echolocation which brought a lot of pain since he had to open his mouth to click his tongue constantly, and his lips froze. Acclimatization to this place was a hellish torture that could rank in TOP 3 of the sufferings he survived in his life, and in those moments he experienced another of the Great fears of Humanity, the Fear of Cold

Clicking his tongue until he found a rather flat rock on a steep slope which if he wasn't careful could get him falling into an abyss. Moving there to take a seat there, taking out the only bag he took on this ascent pinning it down using his dark cane, he took his leather gloves to notice his fingers being slightly numb.

"..."

*Sigh*

'Frostnip. I knew it would get to this point since this temperature should be -50° or colder. Good that it's in its early stages. Similar to my face. I got to get to cover and start a fire.'

By the time night was preparing itself to arrive, Vlad moved slowly to the boundary of the 9000 meters zone, remaining in the Death Zone, since he wanted to adapt his body to these inhospitable conditions. And while descending down, he noticed with his Echolocation something like the beginning of a cave entrance, which could be used to shelter him, and traversing the rugged and dangerous terrain, he got inside the Cave and immediately took out from his bag some dried wood pieces.

Using his black cane which morphed into a flint, with a knife he started the fire, which was his source of life in those inhospitable locations. Taking in some snow that he melted inside a wooden bowl later on using some cloth fabrics that he soaked in the warm water to stop the advancement of frostbite.

The linen fabrics covered his entire face, while his hands were too inside the warmth of the soaked fabrics.

"Hiss, it stings like I am shot by those bandits again."

The pain caused by his hands, fingers, face, recovering from the frostnip was similar to being pierced by needles so many times that you wanted the pain to stop, but compared to dealing with the Frostbite which turned your limbs into cold decay, one would always choose to suffer a temporary pain compared to getting disabled.

The next morning, found him having everything covered in snow outside of the cave entrance he sealed away partially, and with a powerful punch, the snow seal over his camp was destroyed, revealing the figure of a crimson-clothes man who had a thick scarf around his neck and mouth area, with his thick chaperone hat protecting his ears and head from the cold.

He looked to be in great spirits, after a decent sleep inside the small-sized cave, and with everything being ready for a new push in altitude, he continued with his climb, returning to where he stopped, and going up with slow and stable movements.

His movements were precise, not doing a single mistakes thanks to his Echolocation which worked like charm on the Desolate Mountain full of rocks and snow, and as hours passed and he encountered the freezing weather his face again began chilling down, yet it happened by the time he was at 10,358 meters altitude that frostnips started attacking him without mercy.

Again the invisible barrier and the fatigue his body suffered made him push his body to his limits, reaching the 11,235 meters high, and holding himself tight and secure using his finger technique, taking in heavy breaths of air, clear exhaustion on his body.

'This is troublesome. The temperature is even colder this high, and the efficiency of frost sickness has obviously increased …'

'Frostbites … I really don't want to deal with them at this point since I don't even know how much I have to climb …'

'This mountain … is truly like the Legends have mentioned. Endless, leading toward Heaven's Gate. I can't see with my Echolocation that Heaven's Gate, but the rocks are still ahead of me, on this slope.'

Since he got to the 10,000-meter altitude, the slopes he experienced were very steep, with their inclination being mostly at 60° which made him constantly climb with care of his steps, increasing the difficulty of the climb and how long it took him to advance.

'No, I have to return back at the 9,800 and 10,000 mark, since I found another small cavern that could shelter me from the snow. Can't risk it, not yet. I will push ahead tomorrow and try to ascend it once and for all.'

Settling down on his plan, Vlad began his descent, and as he was climbing down, by the time he approached closer to the peculiar mountain peak, he felt his body losing some balance for no reason, and when he thought he would collapse, he instantly got to his knee securing himself on the slope, beginning to take deep breaths in an attempt to oxygenate his brain, and with the last breath that he kept to himself guiding some spinal fluids to his brain to awake him.

'... Mother .. fuck … I was about to pass out without even being aware. This sensation, I never felt in my entire life. Hah, let's see if I can get some acclimatization in this range, and clear this nausea feeling.'

His lips were white in color as if reaching a state of semi-frost bite, being pushed by his need of utilizing Echolocation. But once he got closer to the cavern entrance, without caring who resided inside, he got inside, finding protection from the cold and snow the instant he went inside.

'Good enough. This will do for a camp.'

In the process of preparing a block for the external influences of the cold, Vlad cut around from the cavern various large rock pieces, which he tried to fit together like a puzzle, only that a particular rock shaped into a large cube didn't bind fully with the rest of the rocks, pushed outside by the strong winds and snow.

The sight of the cube being taken along by the winds, starting to roll on the ground, moving down the mountain, was something Vlad couldn't see, but it looked dangerous enough one could bet an avalanche would be set off.

"Wait! But how? I made sure it fit to perfection."

"… Goddamn it!"

Vlad was flustered by what happened with the cub, and immediately understood what the repercussion of his actions could lead to.

"This wasn't in the plan … Now what? What if an avalanche is set off."

He didn't know what might happen from his actions, but as he waited minutes nothing happened with regard to an avalanche, and being safe he breathed out in relief.

Then, going to his back to his small backpack, he prepared the same treatment for his frostnips, while for his early stages of frostbite he took a jar full of a black ointment-like paste, which he spread on the affected areas, painting various parts of his body in black, especially his lips, which gained a color akin to his abyssal eyes.

"Far better. Now, let's prepare the shots of <Elysium Serum> and make sure it doesn't freeze when I actually need them to be warm."

Then another item appeared in his hands, it was three vials with a syringe inside, with a gray substance that looked to have frozen down inside the vial.

"Better not change properties now that I am warming you up."

Placing the vials inside a small cup with lukewarm water, the substance was gaining a viscous property.

Vlad who was doing his last preparations before the summit, tried to relax inside the cavern, not experiencing any avalanche that would destroy all of his effort to summit Yehimal Mountain because of the cubic rock, but some girls who were at the Base Camp talking about something unrelated to the mountain climb, could hear a strange noise going in their direction.

"You hear that girls? Something from up the mountain."

"Can't hear anything."

The Fairy sharply turned her head in the direction of the Yehimal Mountain, followed by Eleine and Bonney who looked in disbelief as a large cubical-shaped rock passed past their camp while flying, and with the speed it contained it didn't take long for the rock to be just a vision of the past.

*Whistle*

Eleine could only whistle at such a dangerous sight, that she went down on her ass, watching the pink-haired girl and the autumn-leaf haired Fairy also suffering from some shock.

"Something is going up the mountain. I'm starting to get worried about Vlad." remarked Titania, who had reasons to worry because 4 days passed since Vlad departed and they didn't receive any news from him.

"... Let's climb the mountain and check on him. I feel far better now that I rested myself. Been eating good thanks to the food Vlad cooked for us." commented Eleine, who was later mocked ironically by Bonney who mentioned the black-haired girl.

"I think you are just worrying that you'll have nothing to eat now that the food was eaten."

"Hmph, I can cook for myself, no problem"

Still, the girls decided to climb the mountain to check if Vlad was alright, but that being in the morning.

"Let's do it by tomorrow. Sun is going down, no point in consuming ourselves since Vlad wouldn't let himself die a pathetic death in such mountains." commented Eleine, walking back inside the warm and comfy Base Camp which would make any Mountaineer want to stay inside.

The warmth inside the tent was worth all the money.

.

.

The girls readied their equipment and took off, easily climbing to the 7400 meters high mark they stopped last time, and pushing past that level, they started struggling to reach the 8000 meters high, but when they did, the impact was instant as they entered the Dead Zone, where the oxygen was so tin, one needed to be a monster to survive so high.

They could see Vlad's camp in the 8000-8400 mark zone, which was left empty, and looking up the mountain, in a rare occasion some of the clouds cleared out, revealing up what could be said to be the Summit of Yehimal Mountain, so stunning the grandness of this mountain was unfathomable, not perceiving themselves able to summit such a Behemon.

"So, we are sure that Vlad rested in this camp before going up. Which can only mean a single thing, he currently is way higher than we can expect."

Yet Eleine who was observant about everything, spotted the small figure of a being on high in the mountain, as if getting closer to the Behemond, and pointing out with clear awe and shock, the rest of the girls were also quick to spot him.

"It's Vlad!! He is still trying to summit the Yehimal Mountain."

"Ahh, but he has so much to go to the summit." commented Titania, who had a hard time to grasp the distance between themselves.

The girls weren't wrong from their observation, as Vlad who started climbing from the 9850 meters mark, returned himself to 10,825, and pushed himself harder then ever, as if he felt this was the big day, sensing the summit being in his reach he reached the 11,500 mark which still seemed far away from the grand summit which looked down on the World, at 13,248 mark, and using his method of supporting himself by stabbing his fingers in the rock, he started breathing heavy.

The winds blowing around him trying to destabilize him, brought along the snow which hit numb face like bullets, he continued pushing himself hitting the 12,000-meter mark, while clicking his tongue which got numb, as if it froze down, his lips looked unregular, cracked and with a black appearance, while his nose was pitch black, being frostbitten completely.

"To hell with you! I will not lose any of my limbs to the cold." declared Vlad who secured his grip inside the mountain, before placing his hand inside his pants, taking out a delicate leather case, where three vials remained warm, and in an act of resolution, he injected the vial inside his neck.

If he looked to be tired initially from the gruesome climb, he inclined down giving the impression he would lose his grip on the mountain and collapse, but instead of dropping, Vlad began laughing in a deranged fashion, ignoring even the snow hitting his face like bullets.

"Hahahaha, to think the effects would be so great! I did a test with rats, but the data I could get is far lacking compared to human trials."

His black lips, nose, and face started returning to a natural color, while inside Vlad's leather gloves his hands also recovered in color.

The effects of the substance Vlad injected himself reacted instantly with his blood beginning to pump blood all over his body, causing his blood to take in the properties of the Maggris Worm saliva to regenerate the destroyed flesh and tissues, masking its presence.

It worked so well that even the parts which were affected by the cold were targeted. As if something was telling the blood cells to move there, regardless if they liked or not, if they would die or not, it was a constant recovery of the body tissues. Yet, the drawbacks to such a miraculous property would surely catch on to the man in no time.

With an extra boost of power from the substance he injected in his body, he started climbing even faster, moving up the mountain in a reckless abandon trying to achieve his goal and dream which was right in front of him. Feeling himself getting closer, with a deep breath of air which created a void in his stomach, where his exale echoed was truly monstrous.

He declared to the Heaven's while his climb got even more reckless, as if the Devil touched him.

"ATLAS! YOU STRUGGLED TO CLIMB THIS MOUNTAIN FOR 3 MONTHS??"

Reaching closer and closer to the summit, he continued roaring like a deranged beast.

"SHAME ON YOU! I'VE DONE IT IN WEEKS AND EVEN BY CARRYING PEOPLE ON MY BACK!"

"YOU ARE NOTHING! A NOBODY!"

"THERE WILL COME A TIME, WHERE MY LEGEND WILL RESOUND IN THE ENTIRE WORLD!"

Pushing himself to his limits that a crimson-red spark of energy was sent off by his abyssal eyes, he arrived at the summit, climbing, and landing on something on a shocking land formation, since the summit instead of being like a sharp slope Peak, it was flat, akin to an open palm.

"..."

Looking around himself while clicking his tongue, he started rubbing his head, not understanding how a peak could be flat that you could place a level and have it stay flat.

In his instant confusion, while doing the first explorations of this somber place, one could observe how there was no snow on this location as if the snow wasn't even allowed to land on the ground.

All the eyes could see was surrounded by white clouds, and far in the east location from Vlad's standing, there was a particular structure like a gate on top of the clouds, with ancient writing symbols calling the place before anyone watching.

[Heaven's Gate]

The Legendary place mentioned in the Book was just a grasp away from the seeking man, who had no idea about this, only noticing the structure with his Echolocation, but apart from this, he was oblivious to the writing on it.

He could observe using his Echolocation that the temperature on this new place was normal as if he was back at sea level, in fact, it was far warmer than in the Sorbet Kingdom, and he couldn't understand what was the cause, but someone sure had answers.

Moving forward, toward the human structure built on the top of the Mountain, which gave the impression of a Buddhist Temple.

Approaching the Temple, he could feel the temperature raising, and then the voice of a man that sounded perplexed, followed by surprise and confusion.

"I feel the presence of a man? This doesn't make sense … Wasn't this place supposed to be the safest place from those lowborns?"

 

A/N: Someone guess for me who is that person, before reaching chapter 70.

.

— If you want to read ahead, up to +20 advanced chapters

— Patre0n: patre0n.com/Morpheus146 — Discord: https://discord.gg/CMsHqJVDVD

11