Chapter 88: Baterilla Town
126 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 88: Baterilla Town


The process itself of Sea Travel could be an interesting or boring experience all together for each type of being. You could enjoy breathtaking sights of the night sky filled with stars and the large moon who gave you the impression it was descending down closer and closer to whisper to the creatures of the night.

Or be cursed to the blank blue sea which it granted you a claustrophobic experience where you had no idea if you were on the right path, always challenging you, making you guess yourself, and your crew members who entrust their lives in you, to lose faith.

However, this can't be said for the brown-black Caravel in the style of the Picodras Island, a stolen blueprint of the Kingdom of Kaysang, who over the eleven days of sailing in the large Ocean and Region of the South Blue, finally met in it's horizons an island that fit the descriptions of the map build by the ingenious merchants gathered in Valent City.

It was early morning when the dawn breathed beauty over nature, the seagulls gathered and nesting on the high ground of the Caravel finally started getting vocal, taking off from their adoptive home and fulfilling their role as guides for Titania who was still in her bed sleeping like a cat, similar to Bonney.

*Seagull Cry*

"They sure know how to get vocal, Master." called out a black-haired woman who was wearing a black bustier top that placed in spotlight her blessed cleavage along with a pair of black trousers that were of high-quality fabric assorted with a pair of grey heel shoes.

Vlad, who was at the steering wheel, looked up at the flying seagull and without much emotion in his tone or body, he replied back.

"You get used to those beggars along the way."

Eleine walked slowly coming from the Captain's Cabin, giving off a feminine charm that could allure most men, but when she reached to the back of the black-haired man, he wasn't so moved by her sexy allure.

One could say that the man himself was handsome, even devilish, enough to clash against the beauty of this woman, who was wearing a pair of black trousers, and a white shirt that he left open to dangle along with the winds of the sea, assorted with a pair of black brogue shoes that spotlighted his legs.

*Giggle* "Regardless of how much you want to roast them for making noise for no reason, you have to agree with the rest about their usefulness."

"They don't have much meat anyway... just like pigeons."

Some of the seagulls flying close enough to hear Vlad's discussion with Eleine stopped midflight to look down at him with fearful expressions but eased up when the black-haired woman just waved her hands, finding the man's reasoning for not pursuing the seagulls interesting.

"Can't say I've eaten seagulls in my life, nor pigeons."

"Not the best cut of meat in my opinion, it is too chewy."

The morning started the same for Vlad and Eleine who would have a chat by themselves until the rest of the crew started waking, talking about all sort of subject topics, this moments of the day being special for Eleine who would be free to do some advances on Vlad, but also listen to his vast knowledge as he was sharing critical information for her growth as a person and woman.

Then as the two stared at the dawn while the seagulls accompanied the Caravel the sighting of an outline for a larger island was growing in size, becoming ever so visible.

"On the Eleven day just like you predicted we'll arrive." commented Eleine, watching impressed at the larger island, who couldn't compare with the smaller patches of land they encountered on their way to Baterilla Island.

"I didn't predict it … I calculated the amount of time it would take me, if we would travel with a certain speed, the Caravel is capable of reaching. You sure, don't wish to learn Navigation, it will prove useful in general usages for coordination on land."

"... Master Vlad, I doubt I can handle it … There's simply too much on my plate right now."

"Oh my? Are you by chance … complaining about the workload I've given you?"

"Of course not, but if you also make me learn about navigation, I feel my brain would turn to mush."

"No worries darling, as if I would allow that head of yours to split up from the amount of knowledge trying to enter inside. I am not Vlad the Terrible, to be so harsh with my companion." mentioned Vlad with a joking tone, but it was clear as day, his sense of humour was crooked as if he only knew about dark humour instead of the rest of the colors.

Yet, he found someone who actually understood his dark humour and took it as he intended, and with Eleine smiling a bit, she placed her hands on her head, and started acting pathetic.

"I've tried my best to understand navigation, master, but it's too complicated for me. I'll rather learn noble etiquette, or various methods of torture since I found them far enjoyable. *Sob* B-But, if master so desires, I will try again."

Vlad shifted an eye on the woman at his right side while the woman acted pathetic there wasn't many emotions on his face, but when she ended there was a small smile on his face, which was picked by Eleine.

"This one was better. You sold yourself pretty well on that idea you can't navigate."

"Haha, with pleasure master. But there is for sure, room for improvement, right?"

"Like in any art-form, acting is something that requires ages to master. You have natural talent, but you lack experiences to build up your confidence in being bulletproof when acting. This is why better continue reading those books from my Library about expressing emotions when acting."

"Yeah, it was a great find on your part, master."

"That one is from Sorbet, written by a playwright from Water 7 in Paradise."

"Ohh, maybe we can meet this person." mentioned Eleine with interest in her black eyes, while Vlad just shrugged his shoulders because he didn't know from what age the book was published, not being mentioned.

Even the state of the book was good, and he couldn't tell.

Nonetheless, he was testing Eleine whenever he felt like it, especially in the mornings when it was only themselves, being able to polish the raw talents of his little maid with his vast knowledge and life experience.

He stopped playing around with Eleine when Bonney and Titania woke up, stepping out from their room, surprised to see the island they were targeting for eleven years to appear so close to them.

The landscape of the Baterilla Island, from an outside perspective, was of a tropical climate with some lush, virgin forests covering most of the island, whereas only a medium-sized town appeared in their sight, with the Lighthouse guiding Vlad toward the natural harbor of the town.

There were some small fishing boats on the sea close to the island shore, who took notice of the brown-black Caravel, and similar to the fishermen from Calmaria Island who panicked when spotting this large ship, the fishermen also started rowing toward the island.

Vlad whose keen senses reached a supernatural state, could pick on their discussion since they were shouting at one another, a group of 4 fishing boats, with a total of 21 people from men and women.

"Let's return to the Island, and announce the Mayor, since pirates are once again approaching our island. We can't allow another tragedy like the one from 13 years ago to happen again." - Male Fishermen #1

"Don't mention it! I lost my wife because of that blasted Gold Roger who had to screw that bitch who couldn't take him away from our island." - Male Fishermen #2

"All of his lies and words of assurance that the marines will not come to harm us, vanishing in smokes, just like himself a blasted pirate got his head rolling." - Male Fishermen #3

"At least, my suffering has lessened a little bit knowing that the pirate got what he deserved. While the Marines got out of our lives and left for good the island." - Male Fishermen #1

He could hear their conversation from kilometres away without any problems only by focusing on the direction his eyes followed as if he became a bat who picked up any sound going in his direction.

What he was hearing made his eyes get colder, while the cogwheels in his brain were going at full speed based on what he could hear.

'Those peasants are talking about Gol D. Roger. The Archenemy of Quinn and Wormblod, and many other people of that past Era, who got mentioned by those two worms.'

'I got to investigate this island a bit since it has become intriguing now that I heard clues about that man … The Pirate King who shook the world and brought fear into the peasants with his mere presence.'

Eleine noticed that Vlad's eyes dilated a bit while also growing colder, but it was a shift in temperament that only she and Titania were capable of picking.

Titania who was in another place feeding the Seagulls didn't sense the shift in Vlad's temperament, but herself, who was like his Shadow, could pick his mood swings easily.

"Those fishmen, are you interested in them, Vlad?"

"Mhm, for now let's stop them from panicking the commoners in the Island. We are going to Baterilla to restash our supplies and leave as soon as we arrive."

Vlad started steering toward the fishermen who were overrun with panic, but when they observed closer the Caravel, something that was a Standard for any pirate was missing, their Pirate Flag, a symbol of honor, pride, and power for most Pirate Crews.

"Hey, guys, wait a bit. This ship isn't a Pirate Ship. Who was the idiot who gave false information about the Island being attacked by pirates?" asked one of the middle-aged fishermen, who noticed the beautiful women on the traversing Caravel, specifically the pink-haired Princess and the black-haired Demoness.

"..."

"You people shouldn't stop from your jobs, and my apology if you got scared about my ship." called out Vlad in a humble tone as he appeared at the ship's forecastle, being viewed by all the fishermen of Baterilla who noticed him approaching the island.

"Are you people traveling merchants?"

"Don't we look like one? Afterall, as you can see we don't hoist any Flag." remarked Vlad in a calm tone, sounding like a laid-back guy, who didn't want to hurt no-one, building some security in the hearts of those fishermen who calmed a lot knowing the truth.

"You have a point there, merchant. Most pirates are too dumb to even pull down their Flag."

"Well, well, you better don't give them good ideas, or you'll be in trouble in the future." commented Vlad with some of his mellowed dark humor, but what he said was more of a warning to those simple people.

"By the way, from which part of the world are you from? I am referring to South Blue."

"Picodras Island, the South Region of the South Blue."

"Ohhh, I heard of it, we had a merchant fleet arrive last year in town bringing all sort of goods. They said they came from Picodras.

Good men, I can't complain on this part. Minding their business and just doing trade with us."

"I see, then I will not continue holding you from your work. Have a good day." said Vlad as he started steering away from the fishermen, this time taking the ship to the harbor.

Him talking with those fishermen was a great choice because the people stationed on Watchposts didn't show any hostility from where they watched as he anchored at the decently sized harbor, and everyone except a peculiar, eccentric white-haired youngster was looking forward for this new location.

"Are you going to stay locked up again in your stinky room, Lunarian?" asked Vlad casually, as he stepped down from the Officer's Quarters, his voice full of sarcasm and mockery.

"Mind your business. I bet this place is swarmed with Marine Dogs."

"Actually, I've seen no presence of Marines in this Island, and the talk of those fishermen told enough to me, about their hate and animosity over those people. You hate the Marines for hunting your people down and don't want to make your presence known because you are too weak to fight against those Admirals and Vice-Admirals."

"Aren't you the same?" asked Dalyon with his voice coming from his room, as he was lying on the bed.

"Am I? Do I look to be afraid of the Vice-Admirals or the Admirals of the World Government? If everyone is like the old man I faced, from the Vice-Admirals, going up, then it will be troublesome. However, afraid I am not, why should I be afraid of men?"

"Ask yourself, Dalyon. Do you think that people like that old man who came to Everfall, would bother themselves hunting down Pirates or Bandits with bounties of 30-50.000.000 𝔅"

Hearing Vlad's comments which made sense for once, the young man with brown complexion remained quiet, without a comeback to the black-haired man's reasoning.

Minutes passed as if Vlad waiting for Dalyon to get his ass out from his room, even when the girls tried to make him drop waiting for the Lunarian, at last the door of the Sailors Cabin opened up, revealing the brown-skinned youngster who was wearing a pair of black trousers, boots, and an white shirt opened like Vlad's revealing his upper body muscles.

He had his wings closed and tucked at his back, and without any flames bursting from him, he watched the group waiting for him.

"If people start barking, figuring out my identity and announcing my existence to the Marines, I will burn down this entire island to ashes."

"As you wish, boy. If those people are wronging you, kill them if you must. Now come, and enjoy yourself a bit, because you'll not be able to defeat me anytime soon if you remain holed up in that cabin of yours.

You got to experience life, to defeat me."

"It will not be long…" added Dalyon who jumped off the Caravel, landing on the platform of the Harbor, looking around himself with curious eyes, making most of the people who were curious about the newly arrived people to step back at the presence of this large man.

After Dalyon, it was Vlad who was larger than Dalyon, followed by Titania, Eleine and Bonney, moving toward the exit of the Harbor where they were approached by some Guards.

"Sir, are you a merchant?"

"Mhm, I've come to Baterilla to resupply. Are there any problems? Do I got to pay a fee for anchoring the ship at the Harbor?"

"If you stay only one day is not required, but from the next day onward the pay will increase by 1500 𝔅 for each day anchored. The starting price begins at 4500 𝔅, where we will assure the protection of the vessels."

Vlad looked at this man who was in his late 20s with serene eyes, finding no problem with the rules of this town, and certainly he wouldn't bother to complain about two bills he took from his pocket to place it on the man's hands.

"We'll be here for only three days. Keep the rest for yourself, or split it up with the rest."

"Sir… Thank you. I hope you have a good stay in Baterilla Town. *Cough* If you see some people who look dejected or have some meltdowns, please don't take it to heart."

"Ohh, understood. By the way, how much would it cost you to give us a tour of the Town?"

"... With your tip, I'll do it for free. But I got to talk with my Captain first."

"Sure, we'll wait for you."

Seeing the man rush off toward the Garrison close by, Dalyon looked at Vlad with a questioning look, not understanding why he would get himself entangled with a local, instead of exploring it by himself.

"If you want to go by yourself, and explore the Town, you are my guest. I like to do things my own way, and not waste time by wandering off to random places that would make people suspicious of my intentions."

"Hmph, I'll see you by night."

The Lunarian didn't stay long with the group, and walked off, entering the city and making sure to take the direction toward a street taking him out of the Harbor Area.

"Tch, that brat really doesn't know manners. I waste my breath for nothing, trying to find reason with him … He is like a mule. Poor me, Master, you need to take me to a Coffee and relax from all this stress hurdling on my back."

"A Coffee Shop? Sure, but I wonder if this Island has such a commodity around."

"They should have it after all this climate is close with the one in Athkatla and Jade Town."

"We'll have our guide to find out."

Not long after Vlad gave the money to that guard to approach them, he returned sprinting to the group, and with an apologetic bow for making them wait, he started his tour by taking the visitors to the center of Baterilla Town followed by other parts of this small town.

It had a rustic vibe, where the lives of the people wouldn't be affected by the exterior World, and the sight of Vlad and his ladies didn't pass unnoticed, but they weren't disturbed or approached by them.

Vlad who had his lands behind his back, walking akin to an King visiting his territory, followed by his two gorgeous maids looked left and right, registering the architecture of this Baterilla Town, which was downscaled version of Picodras or Valent City.

'You sure don't want to talk about the past now that we are in a new location having the same architecture with the rest of the places I've visited so far?'

{When the high hour arrives, you will understand everything.}

Hearing the whispering voice of Anathema, he didn't bother trying to get information from the spirit imbued to the sword, and with the tour of the Guard being over in one hour, the newcomers found themselves back in the Town's Center.

"What should we do now?" asked Bonney who had a curious expression, being the first time in her life that she was in a foreigner land.

"Obviously, Bon, we go to the Coffee Shop, right Vlad?" replied Eleine who gave the black-haired man a convincing expression, which mellowed down into puppy eyes.

Unable to decline them since he had nothing better to do, he takes the girls to the only Coffee Shop in Baterilla, positioned not far from the Hospital, which was frequented by the ones who could afford the pricy brown liquid that could make you stay awake in magical ways.

The building of the Coffee Shop was a stylish European-Styled building, that made you think you've arrived in the Victorian Period, decently sized and allowing a sizable clientele to sip at the black gold liquid.

Once stepping inside, their group once again stole the glances of the people, and the whispers ensued discussing about the Merchant and his women, before the atmosphere calmed down when one reminded them of their losses.

Long sighs ensued, while Vlad took the girls to an open seat at the window.

"You really like your window seats." commented Titania, who was seated on Vlad's shoulder, pointing out one of the man's preferences.

"Yeah, window seats are the best because you can get drowned into the outside atmosphere when a conversation isn't to your taste."

Not long after they sat down, a server arrived at their table, and with a menu that he gave each person, he waited for them to order, while admiring Eleine and Bonney's beauty silently.

"Gentleman, Ladies? Have you decided on what pick you'll choose?"

Vlad wasn't someone picky when it came to coffee, being adjusted with the bitter-tasting coffee of the Turkish Court, and his choice remained the same. "Long Black Coffee and a Shisha if you can fetch me one."

"Sure, Long Black Coffee it is … but what is a Shisha?" asked the server confused about the new term he heard, which he couldn't associate with anything else from his Coffee House.

"Right, you people don't have those, then do you have Cigars?"

"Of course, sir."

"Mhm, Black Coffee and a Cigar."

"Understood, and the ladies?"

Titania, Eleine and Bonney looked at all the choices they had, not many, but it was important that they picked something fitting their taste pallets, unlike the bitter Dracul who chose like an old man.

"Coffee that is sweetened with Honey and Heavy Cream." added Bonney, who shared the drink with Titania after having a deal, leaving out only Eleine to order.

"Black Coffee lightened with some milk. No sugars for me."

The server nodded and moved to take the order list to the Coffee Master who shifted an eye at the newly arrived before returning his attention to the coffee he was preparing for other clients.

"You actually like Cigars, Vlad? I never saw you at home, smoking." asked Titania, confused by how he ordered the additional cigar.

"I didn't have time to indulge myself in the act of smoking … Why do you look at me, as if it's shocking? Now, shush for a bit, I started hearing an interesting conversation." remarked Vlad who started eavesdropping around the coffee house, picking on all diverse conversations.

Even after the server arrived with their orders, while sipping from the hot, bitter coffee and smoking the cigar, there was the muttering of an old woman who was slowly drinking her coffee.

– "I deserve everything that comes my way, even your ghost haunting me down … I've given my word and swore that I will see both you and the child alive, yet you couldn't last."

– "I am a coward, who can't even face your grave."

– "Everyon, is blaming you for what happened back then, but you hold no guilt for being a woman who fell in love, bearing a child. All of them, even after you helped them immensely, now frown even when hearing your name."

Vlad while taking a deep breathe from the cigar, shifting his attention on that distinct voice of an old woman, he spotted in another corner of the Coffee House, an frail old woman with circles under her eyes from not sleeping, wearing a ladies clothes while at her table were already 4 cups of coffee that she drank.

The people around her frowned and couldn't help but lament.

– "Crazy old woman, keeping quiet for all this years. As if she thought we would be fools not to discover the truth."

The girls had their senses trained, and could also pick on the whispers and mumbling of the people, especially Titania and Eleine.

"Those people … did something happen here just like the Guard said?" asked Titania, drinking from a straw from Bonney's cup of coffee.

"We can only check to see if that old lady is alright." mentioned Bonney, who turned her head to look at the old lady.

Without asking Vlad for permission, the pink-haired girl along with the autumn-haired girl standing on her shoulder, moved at the old woman's side, shocked by the state she was in, shaking constantly while mumbling absentmindedly as if a demon took over her.

"Madame, are you alright?"

"Don't bother with that hag, she has mental problems. A lost cause." said some of the clients in the Coffee House, which didn't discourage the girls.

Eleine, who wasn't bothered by the sight, having her own fair share of encountering crazy people, looked at Vlad who extended his hand holding the cigar, passing it to her, taking a deep breath.

"Ohh, something interesting is about to happen." commented Eleine, as she passed back the cigar to the black-haired man, who also took a deep breath from the cigar.

"I can tell, that old woman has something interesting that she holds inside, tormenting her. Besides, little doll, can you stop your antics?"

"I am not impressed... Also, it's not lady-like."

"Heh, I don't know what you mean, Master. Isn't this your fault? You pass the cigar to a young woman who never smoke in her life?"

"Bah, you never smoked in your life? Why are you doing so okay with the cigar?"

While they were discussing, they continued watching a show being performed in front of them.

As Bonney and Titania were trying to get some coherent responses from this old lady, the old woman finally shifts her attention a bit on the girls and stops from her incoherent mumbling.

"I've seen something that I wasn't supposed to see, and now I've been cursed for not doing anything to help her."

6