Chapter 100: Truly a Man
67 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 100: Truly a Man


The raid of the John Auger and his fleet of pirates fairing from the "famed" Migas Archipelago was a total failure unlike what the word of mouth and rumours spoke about the Isle of Garden for being an easy target for any pirate on their way to Kaysang Kingdom.

Clearly, whoever first started the rumours with regard to the opportunities for easy, accessible wealth was a charlatan and a killer of men, and it just so happened that inside Migas Archipelago inside one of the many islands ruled by a "Captain Commander" a man wearing casual clothes finding himself in a small tavern accommodation room was dialling a number on the Dial Snail.

『PURU* PURU*』

『PURU* PURU*』

.

.

『PURU* PURU*』

'Come on, boss, respond. It is important news from this hot mess. I know this news will be of interest.'

Then after some long strenuous minutes of the man who looked to be in his 20s, the call was picked by a nonchalant person who was swift to ask the young man a question that by the sound of his tone, was rather serious and personal.

"Long time no see, Agent Lucas Quail. What news are you bringing me this month? Something spicy about that hiding bitch called Dethell Blokted?"

"Boss, unfortunately, I couldn't get access to Dethell's Inner Circle …"

"Go on, if you called me, it means you have something interesting for me."

"The plan you formulated with Officer Auril is now bearing fruits, with four of the "Captains" being officially taken by the sea in their quest for glory and money. The most recent ones to have meet their end is said to be Calico <The Spider of Migas >Rackham and just recently John <The Glutton Hog> Auger also met his end in the location highlighted by your rumors."

"OHHH, this time that woman managed to take off my shoulders four prominent vermins. Maybe I give her a visit next month, and bring with me interesting grass from Valent. Auril, what do you say, will I have a chance to lay that hot slut when I visit her?"

"Highly unrecommended, sir. That woman has the capabilities to become a notorious individual if she would have chosen to remain in Paradise."

"Tch, come on Auril, motivate your boss right here. I am trying to take to bed one of the most beautiful women in South Blue and you say "highly unrecommended"."

"The truth is, with her Devil Fruit powers, even if you sir have Awakened your Haki and can defeat most, if not everyone in South Blue, she is said to have killed many pirates returning back from the New World to Paradise  without even awakening her Haki."

"..."

The young man who was listening to the Marine Captain and his officer having a conversation unrelated to his report, couldn't help but add more to this news, which made Kirin stop from his rant.

"Boss, the latest news mentions that John Auger's crew have been destroyed by Catherine Esthil and a black-haired woman that killed all of the pirates in her sight, bathing in their blood. The short description of the pirates who called home was "Demoness" and also something I couldn't understand, but some words were given by the woman.

That they don't even deserve to be in her Master's presence. Confusing, I know, but most of the reports I've gotten were like this from the many people calling panicked home before dying."

"Hmmm, go on, tell me more about this woman's appearance."

The young man who had a small notebook at his side began telling all sort of details he managed to pick up from the chaos that was taking over the Auger's Pirates, which Kirin … mostly Auril was noting down, making out an image in his mind about what the woman in the spotlight was referred.

"Sounds familiar but I can tell I didn't meet this woman myself."

"Maybe from the pictures we got from Arvid  two weeks ago?" suggested Kirin in a moment of clarity which made his assistant have a lightbulb shine moment, dashing off toward another part of the large office room, and taking an envelope containing various pictures.

In the buddle of pictures where even the picture of a black-haired man with a devilish appearance wearing a black aristocratic suit was presented, there was also a black-haired woman wearing a crimson-red winter coat with expensive looking furs that she opened, to reveal some leather skin-tight trousers, high heeled boots, and a buttoned shirt that barely managed to tame her generous bosom.

"Eleine Brinstill. Vlad Dracul's woman."

"That smoking hot babe I almost jerked off when the pictures arrived? Tch, she is probably fucked daily by that Dracul guy, so is wasted goods.

Hahh, let's leave my pettiness aside. My hardworking Bounty Hunter is in Catherine's territory?"

"If we connect Eleine Bristill's apparition to Rosande, only by association can we draw the conclusion that Vlad Dracul is there."

"Mhmm, any other information Agent Quail?"

"None, only that I will try spicy up the story about Rosande and have more pirates go there in a suicidal wish."

"Good, that's what I want to hear. Then if you excuse me, I have other important things to do."

"That guy, is for certain directed toward Migas Archipelago …" commented Kirin before closing the dial connection, leaving the agent Lucas Quail to pierce a piece of paper with his pen, leaving him in deep contemplation.

"This mean, I can count on that guy to kill Dethell Blokted."

In another part of the South Blue, in its Northern Region, the Isle of Garden was calming down from the recent attack that washed over the island caused by a notorious pirate in the Migas Archipelago.

There was no loss of innocent lives in the Island, only some people that worked in the orchards that got scared senseless when the storm of cannon fires hit the island, closer to the protected region of the orchards.

All in all, the Mistress of the Island, Catherine Esthil proved once again to the citizens of the small island that she was a key element in their ecosystem, their protector who assured the stability and progress of their lives, but rumours spread in the town about how the merchants who arrived from far away have contributed to the defeat of the pirates.

It just so happened that on the 2nd day after the attack of the Pirates the guests to the Island prepared for departure, without any requests from the leadership of the city.

Catherine, who displayed her true powers to Vlad's group, shifted back to her meek personality as she was respectful with everyone apart from Eleine. She was given 2 extra days to continue her work at the Library, enough for her to get plenty of information to play out her plans.

By the night of the 9th day of Vlad's group stoppage in Rosande, something important happened for a youngster who experienced a first unique sensation that only humans could delight in. A first passionate kiss was shared between a white-haired youngster and a brown-haired beauty, with the veil of stars acting like a cover for their sweet moment.

"Dalyon, I aware that I can't have you stay here. This place is too small for a man like you."

"No need to talk about this."

The arrogant Lunarian, no longer the visage of his former self when holding this beauty in his lap, as they were cuddling against one another, he couldn't help himself but take another kiss from the woman's mouth.

"I love you, Dalyon. It was from the moment you acted all haughty, as if you didn't hear me when I was questioning you."

While Dalyon heard the confession from Adra, he was conflicted, not understanding his own feelings, but to not mess up this romantic scene that was getting intimate by each moment, he shared the same feelings, while continuing to caress the body of the beauty.

"My apologies, if me ignoring you was hurtful. But … I am still unique to those feelings."

"I think … I can forgive you if you kiss me more."

Acting quickly, being on high alert, the young Lunarian who was truly inexperienced at first, started to quickly get the hang of this make-out session, and slowly as the night was growing deeper, filling the night sky with its veil of stars, he made courage and advanced as he got confirmations from the woman beside him.

A new sensation and feelings was sprouting, and seeing her body language akin to an invitation to a challenge, he continued on pleasuring Adra, who let herself go in the rush of ecstasy and desire.

It wasn't long that the innocent cries of pleasure filled in the higher forested area of the island, reading the ears of two individuals who got closer to mastering their senses, with Catherine and Vlad taking note of what was happening.

Vlad who was inside the town with Titania, Bonney and Eleine, noticed him smile with an evil grin, not answering to the curious questions thrown by the girls, while in the manor at the periphery of the Rosande, Catherine stopped from writing one of her reports beginning to rub her temples.

"What a slutty girl. Not even able to contain her desire knowing his lover would depart."

"Something's wrong, Mistress?"

"Mhmm? A slight headache might come to my head anytime soon. But you girl's shouldn't worry about it."

"Should I prepare some tea?"

"Get one from the Eliss's Tea House."

"... I heard that Mister Dracul is at the Tea House, should we cross paths with him now?"

"Hahhh, you little girls are so afraid of him? Fine, I'll take a break, you follow me to Eliss's Tea House since I got sick of writing. That's all I've been doing for about two weeks constantly, writing, writing and writing again. I am sick of it."

"Please, if you have to relax, tell us."

"That's what I intend to do. Just look at that little girl Adra, she is experiencing a whole new world. Meanwhile, we remain Maidens… Maybe I should find myself a man before I get too old."

"No way, Mistress is still young, with a silky and tender skin, bright and beautiful like a Rose."

Catherine chuckled when hearing the compliments thrown by her maidens, and while getting up on her feet, standing tall at 192 cm, she overshadowed her assistants who were far shorter then her. Even though she could conduct herself with superiority only for her blessed body, she acted akin to a big sister with the four maidens.

Wearing her casual clothes, with a dark-green long skirt that also had a large opening to reveal her left thigh and legs, she created a buzz when appearing in the city, having to deal with the townspeople who thanked her and kept on pestering her with their words.

Only when she arrived at the Tea Shop, where only Vlad's group was seated at the terrace, enjoying their night, the pestering citizens stopped from approaching, as if the black-haired man created a force field that denied access to them.

She was surprised by what she experienced in Vlad's invisible pressure, reminding her of various legends and stories she heard about certain individuals who possess immense willpower and had a bearing that forced people to bow down.

'Could it be? He has that rare Conqueror's Haki that I only heard in stories? Is unheard that someone with such powers could even be from this small place like the South Blue…'

'Maybe I am just imagining things. Even his Haki, he doesn't seem to have full control over it.'

"Lady Esthil."

"Mister Dracul."

Greeting each other, Catherine took the table closer to Vlad's table and before she knew, she started asking the black-haired man various casual questions that were unrelated to the books or the fight that took place yesterday.

"Haven't I told you? I am from Picodras, South Blue. Why?"

"No, just curious since I never met people like you so far."

"I see, what can I say, experience builds a boy to a man. However, I am humbled. Glad that you enjoyed the interactions with me."

"Likewise, I hope you don't forget about our interactions when you reach, Briss Kingdom. Otherwise, It will hurt me a lot."

"Heh, for certain, my lady, I will not forget about my stay inside Rosande, since I've had a lot of discoveries here."

"My, can I get confident enough to ask, what that might be?"

"Unfortunately, my lady, it would be better that you don't know."

Vlad noticed that Eleine was throwing a cold look at Catherine as he was talking with her from their respective seats, but in the interval, he wasn't asked random questions by this interesting woman, he kept on entertaining his girls, mentioning to them what can be expected from the journey to Briss.

When those intervals where Vlad spent time talking with the girls, Catherine was washed over a feeling that she doubted ever existed in her, her being treated with indifference as if she was a nobody, sent her an impulse to get in the man's devilish face and have all of his attention on her.

She touched her chest doubting what was happening to her, and as time passed, this sensation intensified and it made her grit her teeth and activate her Devil Powers pulling her table and seats beside Vlad's table, and standing beside the tall man who just like her were unique specimens.

"Something is on your mind, lady Esthil?"

"I was just curious about the story you were given about the Briss Kingdom, and since I don't like to eavesdrop on people, I bought myself some courage to get up close with the storyteller."

"There's nothing impressive about this story. However, if you are interested in stories, I don't mind sharing some. Mhmm, let's see … should I tell a story that isn't so "happily after" like Dante's Divine Comedy? Marco Polo's Travels? Beowulf? No, they seem to have for the young ladies. "

"Ahhhh, the French roman about Silentia and her adventures until she becomes the Queen. It was something I stumbled on in young Mathias's "Corvurian Library"."

"Wait, but Odyssey is also quite good, maybe it involves too many pagan gods, but what's real and fake nowadays?"

The girls could hear from Vlad all sort of story names from the "Divine Comedy" to "Iliad" or "Odyssey", to "Le Roman de Silence" and especially "Gesta Romanorum" that Vlad spoke about while using his Latin skills, that didn't make sense whatsoever to the girls, except for Titania who had big eyes when listening to this familiar yet ancient language.

"So, what should it be, my ladies?"

"Dante's Divine Comedy. Sounds like something interesting." added Eleine who had her attention picked by the name of this book unlike the others who she didn't understand, something that Bonney also accepted, and by a domino effect all the girls accepted, with only Titania and Catherine delaying her response.

A delay happened when she saw Vlad's expression shifting a bit, and unlike the rest Catherine was interested in hearing "Le Roman de Silence" the story of the young girl who becomes Queen, while Titania was interested in the story whose title for some reason she understood perfectly "Deeds of the Romans"

His lips irked up a bit at both Catherine and Titania, and with a long sigh, the atmosphere changed with the mindset of the narrator.

"Dante Alighieri Masterpiece shall be. However, I warn you, everything you hear from me when I begin the story, you can or not believe it. Why? You'll understand that the author has a certain biased view about the world."

"It's a view of an old world, maybe a bit too backwaters. Yet, I hold this story high because it expressed a view into the unknown."

Intrigue and mystery was something women were dying for, especially when it was related to a man, and as if the contents of his remarks weren't enough, Vlad started to recite the first canto of the poem with the verses he still remembered to this day from that old book he read in his imprisonment.

Mixing up the poem and his own narration of the events that followed Dante and the Roman Poet Virgil, it built a fascinating world to the girls who remained silent, listening to his manly tone as he recited each of the Cantos.

Dante's Divine Comedy, a journey of the author himself, towards God, and with an whole night at his disposal, he spellbound the girls with the story of the Inferno.

Vlad could read on the expressions of the girls as he was moved on with the first journey to the Inferno, it was of full shock and interest, especially when Vlad ignored the verses that weren't required, such as when Dante would interact with various historical figures and heroes of his own original world.

In Dante's Inferno, the author finds himself lost in the forest and realizes that he has died. Virgil helps him on his journey, accompanying him throughout Inferno and Purgatorio. He encounters the horrors happening within Inferno and goes through the nine circles of it. From Limbo and Lust to the last circles of Violence, Fraud and Treachery.

He is spiritually lost and is in need of guidance to find the way of righteousness to God—called the "True Way". When he goes through the circles of Hell, he is often portrayed as having pity and compassion for the sinners.

He realizes that they are guilty of their sins, but he still believes in the good in them and finds their suffering devastating. He is also terrified by all the horrors he encounters in Inferno and seems a little frightened.

Though, Dante is very curious, so he attempts to talk with a lot of the sinners along his way.

Many of the cantos recited by Vlad combined with his narration, as he highlighted some that always delighted him with Virgil's words.

["Be as a tower, that, firmly set"]

["Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!"]

From the first Circle of Limbo in the Inferno, was just a mellowed-down version of Heaven for the pagans that were fully biased from the perspective of the second lived Vlad, a place not of sinners, but people who lived in an era before the discovery of Christianity.

Either they lived before Christ when baptism had not yet spread, or they never got baptized.

Those so-called "fortunate" spirits resided in a castle with seven gates, symbols of the seven virtues.

The second circle of Lust has a more traditional appearance of Hell that made sense for the girls, matching up with what they had in mind for Hell. It is dark, full of screaming noises, and suffering.

Near the entrance to the second circle stands Minos, a huge beast who decides where souls should be sent for torment. The second circle holds people who were lustful throughout their lives. They are punished by strong winds blown over them, throwing them back and forth. These winds symbolize the restlessness and instability of people guilty of lust.

"Hehhh, if I get myself there, it wouldn't be so bad. I like it creepy and kinky."

"Shhh. Don't interrupt." added the other girls to Eleine who found this story slightly ironic ... a 'What if "Journey to Hell".'

"Hmph, you girls are too weak." retorted Eleine who thought of herself as the only sane woman at the table.

And yet, Vlad continued on with his story about the journeys in the Inferno, and stopped with only the Inferno because he didn't wish to drag on the whole night with the rest of the Comedy which took Dante to Purgatorio and later on Paradiso.

"I will end it with this. Drawing a conclusion for you girls? This Divine Comedy was created to show people the horrors their souls would go through if they did not obey God's laws, and did not live their lives righteously."

"And yet? Doesn't that make all of us sinners? I think I will get easily in that Lustfull Hell." said Eleine after Vlad concluded this night of stories, beginning to think about each of the Hells and draw comparisons where she might land.

"That is if you believe in this story. I should be stuck beside Lucifer, playing chess with him in the frozen lake. Certainly, even  Alighieri isn't a Saint as he portrays Dante."

His remark made Eleine lick her lips because she was aware of how dark Vlad could get at times, but even the Fairy looked around herself, and then started contemplating before her expression morphed into a shocked one.

"I am a … sinner?"

"Sigh, and you girls wanted to hear this story? This is just the Inferno journey."

"I see, there's more to it. An interesting story indeed, mister Dracul. By the way, that dialect you are speaking with, I assume from the story, is from the West Blue? Fiorenze? Milanose? Or could it be from Genovese?"

Catherine couldn't help herself but speak about what the story Vlad told reminded her, and the dialect, the culture and even the mannerism of Dante, was akin to a high-class citizen of one of the big republics of West Blue.

"Maybe. I don't know the exact location, but you aren't far from the truth."

'Considering what I've read about West Blue, it does have some traces of Italia. Maybe I should visit that place in the future and see for myself if it resembles Milan, Genova, Florence, Ravena, Venice or Rome.'

"Still, it was a pleasant story, talking for myself. Unfortunately, time doesn't allow you for the rest of the story, however, I am certain you will delight me."

"The company of you, ladies, made this night ever so pleasant."

"I can't further agree on your point, mister Dracul."

The night for the two groups started settling down, taking on different routes when splitting up from the Tea House, and it just so happened that an individual missed from each group. Yet, it wasn't something to bother Vlad who returned to his laboratory, ignoring the requests of the girls to continue his story.

"Maybe for another time. Since it is 2 AM, catch yourself some sleep because we'll be departing in the afternoon."

"Master, why don't we try to reach the Second Circle of Hell."

Vlad looked at Eleine who had an inviting expression, but with a scoff he dismissed the woman's desires, and just continued his preparations for a pleasant sleep.

Reaching his small bed, where he removed his glasses placing them on a cabinet, he later on disheveled his hair and removed his trousers and shirt, changing into some shorts, while holding a mental discussion with his weapon.

{Interesting story you've told. Yet? Do you believe in Hell? Purgatory? Paradise?}

'I am a Christian, as twisted and as sociopathic as I could get, I can't deny that at times I fear the Absolute watching over the puny me. However, with my new experiences, I can't tell you right from wrong. Hell? Purgatory? Paradise? They could be ideals that our human mind creates.'

{Sounds Neutral? Hahaha, wouldn't that drop you in the so-called Limbo? Anyway, you don't have to respond to me. I just got a bit nostalgic when hearing that story of yours.  It reminds me of a heated debate that happened in the past.}

{Who decides who is sinful or saintly? Actions of humans who don't make sense to an animal?}

'I'll rather not talk about my beliefs. Now, if you excuse me, I got to catch some sleep since my research into the devil fruits is a total mystery even to me.'

Moving his long arm where he had placed a glass vial and a clean spoon, he ingested a spoonful of the thick syrup, minutes later being caught by the sleep, leaving out the black hairpin that morphed into a long sword on its own will, going in the air, as it levitated toward the research table where two mutated fruits, an berry and apricot resided.

{I wonder how many of you there are, since the last time I've seen his creation.}

.

On the tenth day since the arrival of the brown-black Caravel, in the afternoon they saw the ladies of the Island watching from the harbor as the medium-sized ship took on the endless Sea and all of its challenges.

The Maidens of Rosande who accompanied Catherine Esthil, started waving their hands at the departing ship, while Carherine who was holding in her hand a dial snail which was morphed in the facial appearance of a black-haired man with cold eyed.

"Now that we settled a connection link, if you want to talk with me about your doubts with regard to alchemy and medicine, I'll be available."

"The same could be said for you, mister Dracul. If you have any requirements on plants and want to buy from me, know that Rosande will be your friend."

"With pleasure."

Vlad who was at the steering wheel of his caravel controlling it with one hand, while the left one was holding the dial snail that also morphed in the facial appearance of Catherine, assuring a long distance connection with the woman since she owned a dial snail. It would be a shame, if he wouldn't be able to call with various requests of plants that he might need for the future, especially when the syrup for his eyes showed signs of stabilizing his eyes health.

And while he talked with Catherine as he took the ship out of the harbor, his eyes dropped on a black winged youngster that was looking down at the harbor, waving only at one woman.

"Catherine, be well, and don't forget to remain ruthless when it comes to pirates and marines. Don't allow them to have the advantage over you, not even once, because like hyenas they will bite the flesh of your bones."

"Likewise, dear Vlad. By taking the heads of so many pirates that we killed here in Rosande, you will draw all the attention of the pirates and marines once you turn them in for their claim."

"Let them come. I am in need of money for my research. Unlike you, I only have to worry about a ship which is disposable, not an entire island that I can't take it on my back."

The conversation ended on good, amicable terms by the time he was already distanced far from Rosande, and while placing the dial snail in his waistcoat pocket, he asked the young Lunarian a simple question.

"You had a great chance of remaining there with a woman of your liking. Without any World Government dog to hunt you down. The reason for the change?

Since I doubt you are that petty to want to defeat me over nothing."

"You invited me to your ship for an "Adventure" that's my reason for remaining. Ohh, and to teach you a lesson as I defeat you."

"So be it. What we talked about that time remains the same, right?"

"... Yeah. While you misled me around, the end was what I wished for."

"The ending is what matters the most, lad. Congratulations, now you are truly a Man."

3