Chapter 102: Briss Kingdom. Welcome to Arcadia!
244 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 102: Briss Kingdom. Welcome to Arcadia!


Since the attack of the Sea King, the group had a smooth journey toward the Briss Kingdom, exactly in its "Crown Jewel" the Capital City of Arcadia who from Patrick's notes, and many other sailors who joined the old man in his journeys was a large place for how insignificant the South Blue has been to this day in the grand scheme of the World.

From the first call of the day where the Seagulls and even some News Coo's shared the information of their approach toward a large human settlement, the group was anticipating the sight they would receive, and when two towering white Lighthouses appeared in the horizon it was enough to set on the celebrating for the girls.

"Finally! I can get away from this ship and stroll carelessly the streets of Arcadia. Maybe buy some new clothes since the ones from Rosande are still pleasant to the eye."

Vlad who was controlling the steering of the Caravel moved toward the Lighthouse and minutes later he noticed the silhouette of Grand Arcadia appearing, with many of the Marine Navy Ship being on the watch, protecting the waters surrounding the Briss Kingdom.

"Unidentified Caravel! Identify yourself!"

The crew was taken by surprise by how quickly four Marine Navy Ships surrounded them, except for Vlad who remained emotionless at the steering wheel, looking at his left and right, noticing the various individuals wearing Marine Sailor Attire that he saw in Sorbet Kingdom.

"Vlad, are we in trouble?" asked Titania who flew up to the still man, filled with a worried expression based on the "tension" the marines were giving off.

"Depends on how you define the word."

"Like in, needing to fight them."

"Not my intents afterall I am sitting on a 234.650.00 ๐”… bounty that I want to claim."

"Then? They are asking us to identify ourselves."

"Simple."

Akin to a ghost he appeared in the forecastle of the Caravel, and looked at the man who was wearing an office attire with distinct patches on his shoulders to symbolize his status in his ranks.

"Your Excellencies! We are travelers from Picodras."

"Name!" shouted a marine who was beside the tall man wearing officer attire, an individual with silver-grey hair and a strong body.

"Vlad Dracul. Profession, Doctor."

"Righteous Medicine, or Witchcraft?" asked the same man with a loud voice, something that didn't make sense for Vlad initially, until he heard the whispers going on inside the marine ships.

"Your Excellency, I am doing my job with utmost dignity that a patient would wish to receive. Nothing is tainted in my noble profession."

The man beside the officer was about to ask something else, but his superior raised his hand and said with a boisterous tone.

"He isn't a Pirate. I just checked all my notes about names. Also, it wouldn't be the desire of the King to drive away his country's guests even though his Laws are strict.

Let him pass!"

The man looked at Vlad who mellowed down his arrogance and pride, acting akin to a frail scholar, even showing some signs of fear that he feigned on purpose to make himself look weak, and without further questioning from those Marines, his path was clear for him to sail toward Arcadia.

"Was it required to act so pathetic?" asked Eleine who walked toward the man sailing his ship with a blank expression.

"Sometimes it is better to learn when to lower your head when it is required. Something I learned the hard way. Communication is something precious for us humans, if we can't use this tool to its full extent, then we are failing our ancestors."

"Sure, you are not wrong in that โ€ฆ But can you not lower yourself so much, it makes me want to punch you in the face for showing the pathetic man."

"..."

Vlad feigned he didn't hear Eleine's comment and only bothered about sailing the ship, and he really needed to be precise in his navigation skills because this Harbor was packed full of ships going in and out, from Merchant Ships to various ships sporting all sort of flags for identification.

To the large Marine Ships that was a sudden awakening for Eleine, Bonney and Titania that this force called MARINE wasn't to be trifled with.

Anchored in a specific zone in the large harbour filled to the brim with ships, was a Fleet of 20 Marine Vessels, bringing the total number to something into an uncertain range for Vlad who was observing everything from the moment he started seeing Arcadia using his Observation Haki.

The stories he heard about this city weren't misplaced, the vastness couldn't be compared with small and old Picodras which looked like a provincial town. The differences showed from the moment he was required to enter a Navigable Canal leading to the Harbor along with other 6 vessels belonging to Merchants that he managed to spy from distance.

He even had to sail past a tall bridge that took him to the periphery of Arcadia, but from his visage, he was left impressed by the sheer size of the city, something that reminded him of Constantinople, but it looked far more advanced in technology.

'Afterall, what can I expect? I am no longer in my backwatered Era, where views of cities like this would make you say, "You have reached the Kingdom of God".'

'I am further interested to see the culture of this place, even though the first taste of it isn't so pleasing with regard to that Witchcraft spouted by the Marine child.'

Multitasking his way into the Harbor, once he got there, he was taken aback by the chaos and the large flow of people going in and out, resulting in a merchant who anchored his ship next to his own, to remark with a lot of sarcasm.

"What's wrong Doctor? Never seen such large places in your life?"

Vlad looked to his left from his steering wheel, and his expression was one of questioning.

"Heard your voice from the back, being surrounded by the Sea Dogs. Me and the boys thought for sure you were some pirate trying to sneak inside town. But, I guess we lost the chance to see some bloodbath being staged by the Captain."

"Anything else, Your Excellency?" asked Vlad with a professional smile, clearly not caring much about what this merchant spoke about.

"If you are new, I suggest you read the guide book for foreigners. You can ask those Harbor Sharks that will come to take the tax for anchoring in the harbor."

"I see. Thank you."

He noticed how the merchant, a middle-aged man in his late 40s jumped on with agility from his ship being encountered by a man wearing clean clothes, a suit only a wealthy aristocratic person could afford, holding a record book in his hand, while behind him was a young boy whose close far lacked compared to the rich man.

"Sir Lilposey, quick for a return to Arcadia."

"What can be said, Lord Coruan, trade between Vellhard and Briss has always set a great example for support between nations."

The rich man opened his record book and inscribed something there that Vlad couldn't quite pick even with his supernatural senses, but from the nonchalant interaction between the Merchant whose name he learned and the one who seemed to be tasked with the taxing of people anchoring in the Harbor, it was obvious this Lilposey of Vellhard was someone who frequented this City.

"It would be also great if you guys would get together under a single guy rather than destabilizing the region. The King is worried that he might have to intervene in your petty squables."

"Haha, if the King wants to get himself dirtied in the shit of Vellhard, I would welcome him with open arms. In fact, if he is willing to offer me support I might turn the tides and defeat all the other 3 bastards trying to pull me down."

"Not my cup of tea for a discussion. Never liked politics." said the man, before leaving Lilposey to return to whatever he wanted to do by getting off the ship filled with sailors to the teeth, that it made Vlad's ship look akin to a Ghost Ship.

The man didn't bother with taxing Lilposey, and instead walked closer to Vlad's caravel, beginning his observations while open about what he was noticing.

"Picodras or Kaysang?"

"... Does it matter?"

"It does, young man."

"I am from Picodras."

"Ahhh, I see, so you are not a dog of the Kaysang. That got you a discount of 10% from the Harbor Tax. Also, I will request your attention because I don't like repeating myself.

Anchoring one day costs 200 ๐”…, one week costs 1000 ๐”…, one month 3500 ๐”…, half-year 15.000 ๐”…, a full year costs 35.000."

Vlad crossed his arms and started listening carefully to what this man had to say, pondering about the logic of this tolling over the travelling merchants and sailors, and there was an interesting catch about each offer.

"Fair toll. However, a question."

"Sure, we got time."ย  responded the man, looking at the tall man without showing any signs of fear, as if he was the overlord of this Harbor.

"What are the penalties for harboring in Arcadia without paying the tax."

"For each day the individual harbors illegally in Arcadia, they will be fined double the amount for each option.

You don't meed to further explain, on how we will enforce that we get our fair dues." explained the man called Coruan while turning his eyes in the direction of the "Special Zone" where the Marine Ships were stationed.

"Mhmm, that will for certain make the people pay. I'll take one month."

"A fine choice, young man."

Vlad stepped out of the ship using the simple civilian manner with the platform of the Caravel that touched with the platform of the harbor, and from there on he took from his pocket 3 bills of 1000 ๐”… and a coin of 500 ๐”… that were quickly received by the boy next to Coruan.

"Name. Island" asked Coruan after confirming the money, later on opening his record book holding a pen in his hand ready to scribe away.

"Vlad Dracul. Picodras Island."

As the man started writing his name, Vlad looked at the Record Books contents by taking advantage of his massive height advantage, and he could notice that people came from all the corners of South Blue.

"All is in accord with the Law. I wish you a pleasant stay in Arcadia and Briss Kingdom." said the man who closed his Record Book, turning around followed by the young servant as they went to another Merchant to collect taxes.

Vlad returned back to the ship and noticed how the main deck was deserted.

"Prepare yourself, we'll move around town in search of the Marine Base."

The girls responded from their room, while Dalyon remained quiet, sensing that the chances of people recognising his true identity was larger than in the smaller islands, an internal problem that Vlad understood, and didn't bother to force the youngster out.

He too went to prepare a large case where the jars with the heads of the pirates he decapitated stacked nicely, with name tags and even prices. Truly a meticulous way of conducting the Bounty Hunting Business.

Then with all the preparations being settled, Vlad closed his Cabin, taking the key with himself, and with three girls that could mesmerize most men, he stepped out of the Caravel, beginning to turn heads at him.

Eleine made sure to look stunning, wearing a sexy long black skirt that had a large opening to reveal her milky white legs, combined with a short-sleeved white shirt and a black undervest that placed highlight on the generous bosom that had men turn their heads at her, and with heeled shoes to give her some extra centimetres.

The other two girls acted with more decency and picked some simple yet stylish clothes, with Bonney wearing a pair of blue jeans, assorted with a pair of light brown sandals and a crop top shirt that had white and yellow stripes, protecting her developing bosom that showed signs of being heavily favoured by nature and genes.

Titania too chose to wear a pair of jeans and a simple shirt, along with some heeled shoes, while on her autumn coloured hair, she was wearing something akin to a sunflower hat, only that it had various floral decorations, which made her petite, just like a doll.

"Making me wait for hours, just for people to ogle at me, cursing me for walking by the side of beautiful young ladies."

"You should appreciate us. Afterall, many guys would kill to have us at their side, right Bon Bon?" teased Eleine while wrapping her arms around Vlad's large arms and shirt fabric, shifting her eyes up at Vlad who wasn't a letdown when it came to fashion.

He was wearing a pair of High Waist black trousers with a pair of black laced boots with a low heel and pointed toes, a long-sleeved linen white shirt that he completed with his black double-breasted vest, black coat and white scarf.

"On the contrary, I don't hate this sensation of superiority over those peasants. I am just thinking about how I should adjust the amount of time it takes you girls to pick and change your clothes, the maximum time allowed โ€ฆ

Maybe 40 or 45 minutes...

Not two hours."

"We didn't ask you to wait for us." said Titania who didn't like it when Vlad butted his nose where he had no business in.

Yet the moment where arguments were thrown around by both parties didn't last long since it wouldn't look nice for the group, and as such they continued on their journey around Arcadia, asking for directions with regard to the Marine Base.

"You are looking for the Marines? What for?" asked the man that Vlad approached to ask for direction, shifting his gaze at the both girls beside the black-haired man who had his hair cascade down, since he was holding a black cane in his right hand.

"I want to claim some bounties, nothing big."

"A Bounty Hunter? Well, you don't look like one from your attire and women. Anyway, continue walking forward, then turn right in the direction of the sea, afterward the building of the Marines will be evident since they are positioned with easy access to the Harbor."

"You'll need to be blind to not spot it." ended the man who went on his way after Vlad nodded, yet still turning his head to stare at Eleine's curvaceous body and her curves.

"What a waste for those girls to stick around with a lowly Bounty Hunter. Meh, he is dead meat anyway once the news spreads out."

Vlad was sharp and heard what the man murmured to himself, but he didn't follow up to interrogate him on what he meant by his remarks. Instead resumed on his way toward the Marine Base.

It didn't take long for the large building unique to the Architecture of the Marine Buildings that had a militaristic aspect with new features to the European Style of the South Blue.

From the moment their eyes dropped on this building, they could see the Bold Letters engraved on the medium-sized building stating the obvious [MARINE].

Vlad, who had the advantage of his height could see most of the building geometry and structure, making his way inside the courtyard of the Marine Base, immediately attracting the attention of the marines with his large size and beautiful entourage.

"He doesn't look like a Noble ready to complain for the entire day to Captain Drominarin."

"I wonder what business such a person has with our base."

"Even if he is a noble about to flaunt his status and influence in the Kingdom โ€ฆ the Captain is out on the Sea with patrolling tasks. News spread that Detheal Blokted will make moves since the death of four of his War Dogs."

Their whispers were translated into clear conversations, and involuntarily he started understanding the situation of this base while moving inside the Base, having the same experience as when he visited the base in Everfall.

Various bounties of notorious pirates and bandits of South Blue appeared again in his eyes, with certain Wanted Posters getting marked with a (???) because of the uncertainty of the news with regard to them, and one of those individuals was Charles Vane who even in death had his Bounty raised to 56.000.000 ๐”….

Titania who met and even interacted with Charles Vane noticed rapidly how his bounty rose up, not understanding if the Pirate Captain recovered from the gruesome wound he suffered against Vlad creating a ruckus again or it was the Marines who figured that he wasn't killed by the black-haired man she was supporting her light body.

Meanwhile, Bonney slowed down when the bounty of her father, Bartholomew Kuma, revealed in her sight, resulting in the young girl gritting her teeth as she continued by Vlad's side.

in front of a youngster, short in stature about 1,69 meters wearing a cheap marine uniform without anything impressive about him, especially after he started getting nervous when looking at the black-haired man towering over him.

"Sir, what brings you to the Marine Base? Any complaints? Bandits? Pirates you want to report? Maybe some inside information you want to share with us?" asked a young man who was about 1,78 meters wearing officer attire with the stripes of a Lieutenant as Vlad discerned them from a book describing the History of the Marines.

A propaganda book to bolster the ranks of the War Dogs of the World Government.

"Young man, I would like to claim the bounties of some specific pirates."

"Bounty Claiming? I see. Do you know the procedures or want me to fill you in?" asked the Lieutenant, acting professionally and with confidence, not being overwhelmed by the repulsing aura Vlad was giving off passively.

"No need, I am aware of the procedures." said Vlad who raised the large case he was carrying, placing it on the marine's counter, later on releasing its bindings to reveal ten heads all stashed nicely, preserved in glass containers with a liquid unknown to the youngster, Formalin.

Shock could be read on the face of the Lieutenant who picked the jar containing Rackham's head, studying it closely and even reading the piece of paper glued on the jar, describing who the man was and his bounty.

Slowly placing the jar in his hand, not wanting to break anything, he looked at Vlad with different eyes, as if realization came hitting him in his face.

"May I ask... What is your name, sir?"

"Vlad Dracul."

A casual answer that resulted in many other marines stopping in their way, looking at Vlad as if they saw a ghost, a legend.

"No way, I only heard stories about you โ€ฆ He actually exists." added the Lieutenant who later on started looking at the different heads stored perfectly, keeping the features intact.

Important members of the Rackham Pirates and Auger's Pirates were gathered nicely only with their heads left in a "Fearful" expression as if someone terrorized them even in death.

"Mister Dracul, are you claiming all of their bounties?"

"I don't have other uses for those vermins."

"Of course, would you be kind enough to follow me to the Commander's Office?

I am sure he would be delighted to meet a person of your caliber who makes the region of South Blue even so safer for the traveling merchants and sailors, especially for the innocent citizens under the World Government."

Vlad had an emotionless expression, not moving from his place, and not understanding if he messed something or not, he placed his eyes on the women in the Bounty Hunter entourage, all beauties that would make one's blood boil hot.

"Ahem, the ladies would be obviously welcomed."

"I see. Lead the way."

ย 

5