Chapter 104: The Boy who can Dream
51 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 104: The Boy who can Dream


Amadeus, as he called himself, played for Vlad's ears delight a piece that initially started well with 10 minutes of violin bliss, of a composition from the legendary Beethoven, Violin Sonata No. 9, which to Vlad who never heard of such people it just seemed to him this boy was a genius musician, but then the notes didn't quite nail on the instrument.

This made the young musician get angry at himself, as he started singing the tune of the violin solo as if he was haunted.

"Fucking bullshit! I heard this song for a whole two in my head and still can't replicate it. I need that thing that does "dang" "dang" … "dang" to accompany the string instrument or I will get lost."

He was talking to himself,  ignoring the audience where only Vlad was left seated on his black chair, Amadeus snapped when he realized he stopped playing the violin.

"Sorry, Lord… But I can only play short melodies that I trained, but long, unusual pieces like this stupid sonata."

"Don't stress yourself, boy. Play whatever you feel confident in."

"Then, I'll try something else that I could memorize easily. However I still need that stupid "dang" "dang" instrument … to complete the string instrument." said the blonde youngster while gesturing with his right hand as if he would try to play a keyboard instrument which intrigued Vlad further.

Still, hearing his casual tone, the youngster bounced back into action by playing a piece that many might recollect as Vivaldi's Spring, which he didn't mess it up at all, playing for an entire 4 minutes akin to a possessed man.

It wasn't just sound to the keen senses of Vlad, as he was being told a story, the story of the birds welcoming the spring with happy songs, and soon enough followed by a thunderstorm breaking out bringing more birds towards the black-haired man.

Without stopping after he ended the piece, he moved to the second season Summer Presto which for the youngster it was the Epic part of the whole piece which would attract the attention of any listener.

And unlike the times he couldn't play the instrument like he was dreaming he was being able to play on a large stage with thousands of people watching him, this time he improved and bounced back from the beatings he received in the Slum for terrorizing people with his terrible music.

Three minutes of high intensity, which for Vlad were otherworldly in the music delivered by this cheeky, confident, bold young man who even called himself the Love of God, continuing the story of the seasons, where in the summer the turtle dove started singing her name "tortorella" in the Venetian Dialect before a hail storm flattens the fields.

Ironically, and with the Lord's attention captured, this young musician didn't let him rest beginning his third season, the Autumn, first movement, where for 5 minutes, even though he showed signs of murdering some notes which Vlad noticed from the quality of the sound, it was nonetheless a new form of music for Vlad.

A season that told Vlad the story of the eager hunters dashing out in pursuit of their prey.

"Sir … My hands hurt like I've placed them on fire. Even my neck is getting fucked by how I held this instrument. How do you like the music so far?"

"Decent." commented Vlad while placing his large hand at the mouth to hide a smile, returning to a cold, dignified expression.

"It would be even better if I had other people to assist me while playing besides me with the same instrument. Bollocks, even with that instrument that you press it like it's your lover or your worst bitch … It could be so much better, just like in those dreams I have each night!"

"Better you say? Interesting. Can you still play?"

"Yeah, the last song from the whole concerto, but I managed to learn only the first part."

"Amaze me, child. Finish the story." added Vlad while he crossed his long legs, "not pressuring the young musician at all" with his dignified and elegant appearance that didn't match with the surroundings.

It made Amadeus believe he was once again in one of his wanky dreams he couldn't wake up regardless of how hard he tried, especially when he was the master of the stage playing for the masses in the audience. With Vlad the only audience, it still breathed in him a lot of spirits as he started Vivaldi's Winter 1st Movement.

This boy surely didn't miss out on the chance of grabbing fate by her throat and pouring everything he got into this song, just like he practised hundreds of times in his decaying shack, with high hopes that he would make it out of the Slums along with his Mother.

For Vlad, the piece brought into him the feeling of winter, with teeth chattering in the cold before he started taking refuge by the crackling of a fire, yet he wasn't allowed too much time moving out where he had to be careful so he wouldn't fall on ice.

Finishing the piece, Amadeus raised his bow with his right hand while lowering the violin to his waist, watching Vlad and some of the people of the slum who were attracted by the music, especially following the "Nobleman".

Slowly clapping for the eyeopener he received, while telling the young boy. "Bravo. It's been ages since I enjoyed music, almost 20 years."

"Hehehe, good shit, right?"

Vlad found the obscene brat too interesting, especially his "wacky dreams" where he could reproduce such advanced music.

"Smells decent." tagged Vlad along while picking up the black chair into his hand before transforming it into an attempt at a violin which dumbfounded Amadeus.

"What the fuck? What sorcery is that? You already have the instrument with you? But I can swear, no one in this Slum ever heard or seen it. And it took me an entire month of hard work to build it."

The tall man ignored the boy's profanities, and instead got closer to him so he could study this instrument, doing some changes according to what his eyes could see.

"Give me that stick."

"Fine, but careful! I had to steal a lot of horse hair to make this Bow, which I almost died trying. Lesson learned? Never stay behind a horse."

"Correct conclusion. Horses have a narrow eyesight, and their back is like a vital spot where predators would attack." commented Vlad, explaining to the boy who instead got fascinated by how open and cool this "Nobleman" actually was.

After studying for a brief moment the violin bow, he tried mimicking Amadeus, but he couldn't get any sound for some reason.

"..."

"Bullshit! There's no sound? What the …, are those strings even good?" questioned Amadeus who extended his hand to touch the strings Anathema morphed for the violin only to have his fingers being split cut by the sharpness of the strings.

"Argh. Ahh man, it will take such a cut about 2 weeks to recover."

Vlad didn't bother to warn the kid because he was simply used to the fact no fool would try touching Anathema, and yet this kid was curious like a dog who was unleashed in a Park marked by all sorts of dogs, with scents floating in the air in all directions.

Taking the brat's right hand, he pressed on the cuts on his fingers to stop the blood, before taking from his pocket some alchemical ointment used for increasing the regeneration speeds of the body.

"Wait … the wounds stopped puking blood. Crazy, it even started recovering… Lord, are you sure not some Magician or I don't know some Sage? So you know … Magicians are the equivalent of Witches and you'll be hunted down by the Royal Guards once news breaks out."

"This is medicine, boy.  Now stop making a scene and give me that instrument of yours. What do you call it again?"

"I don't know, is something from my dreams that I played like crazy, and I couldn't hold my curiosity and make one here. Neat, right?" commented Amadeus, already forgetting that his fingers almost got razed off by Anathema, and beginning to talk about how he made the violin.

"Being able to make that sound, sure, you can say ''Neat ``.

Vlad, who finished his short treatment on the boy's fingers, morphed Anathema back into his walking cane which had Amadeus's green eyes sparkling like crazy, and with this Concerto playing out nicely, he asked the boy.

"What is your dream, young man?"

"Dream? Gosh, that's a direct question, Lord. I have too many dreams in my head that I can't even make sense into them, there's so much music there, yours might pop of the shoulders."

"Not what you dream at night … What you wish to achieve in life."

"Ohh, my plan is to get away from this dirty Slum, take my mother with me, and play music to so many people, just like in that grand dream I got haunted by. Hundreads of Thousand of people clapping and making me feel like a King."

"Quite the bold plan. But how you get away from the Slum? I doubt the Guards would be so keen to let you go."

"Ahh, right, those fucks come to pick a bone with us "worms", but it's them who are the disgusting worms who will never know the hardship of living in this conditions."

"Indeed … I can imagine what you are feeling right now, young man. That desire to prove them wrong, and stand above their heads."

"Wait a minute, but aren't you an Noble from Arcadia? What does a noble know about hardship and struggle?"

"I am not from this place." responded Vlad who straightened his back, making the small Amadeus seem like a dwarf compared to the gigantic aristocrat.

"Not of this place? MY GOD! My chance?!"

Sparks flew inside the young beggar's head, without even thinking much he took steps toward Vlad grabbing him by the legs, and looking at him with a pitiful expression.

"Master... Lord! Please take me and my mother with you from this Slum! Only people like you would be able to convince those Guards. I can play music for you and entertain you daily, regardless of time… "

Vlad wasn't repulsed by this youngster, even though his hands, clothes, hair, everything about him was dirty, that if there was the young Vlad Dracul he might react violently and slap the boy from the face of the earth for trying to touch him.

Yet, this was the old, seasoned ruler, who experienced the ups and downs of life, mostly the downs, hitting his head so many times on the hard walls thrown by life, that conversing with a beggar turned into a pleasant conversation.

"Can you also teach me this music art?"

"Sure, sure, anything can be done, Lord! Maybe I get a dream where I teach students, and it would be even easier to handle it. I'll make you greater than me with this instrument."

"A dream you say? You kept on mentioning your dreams, as if you had some trouble sleeping. Were you like this from birth?"

"Not at all, Lord … I was just your average shitwit, of the Slum trying to survive and not bring trouble for mom."

Thinking about what might cause the boys to have unnatural dreams where he could learn about such music and even how to build the instrument, he could only reach a natural conclusion.

"Have you by chance eaten some rotten fruit that had a disgusting, repulsing taste? Something that might make you want to force a puke?"

Amadeus turned his head up at Vlad and his expression told a lot to the old Ruler, which was later got confirmed by this youngster.

"In fact I did eat something like this 8 months ago, it was a pear that I picked from the trash thrown by the Guards in the slum.

I can remember it like it was yesterday even right now, with swirls around the yellow body, with lines akin to thick whiskers that were twirled.

I tell you Lord, it was such a weird experience that I swore to myself to never eat food thrown by those Royal Guards."

"..."

Vlad kept his silence, which instead got Amadeus tense for some reason, making him ask the large man.

"Somethings up, Lord? Did I eat something poisonous? But … I don't feel bad at all, apart from those wacky dreams, I am fine."

"Boy, that fruit was a Devil Fruit which gave you supernatural powers."

"FUCK!!! I've eaten the DEVIL! I got to warn mom that I will transform into the Devil."

Vlad slapped the child behind the head gently so he wouldn't send him to the Netherworld instead of the Dream World, and returning his attention to the subject at hand, he calmed down, even though from the body language of the kid, he was more excited than upset.

"You'll not transform into a Devil … Besides, it seems you got a Paramecia so you are safe from bothering about transforming into an Animal or the Logia who could make your body akin to an element."

"Weeww, Lord, you sure know a lot. Are Nobles so smart?"

"... Common knowledge, boy. Well, no problem, you'll learn."

"From whom? I have no chance of finding any smart guy in this fucking Slum, apart from Mom."

"If you play music for me, and even teach me when I have nothing better to do, I'll pick you from this Slum."

"With mom too?" asked Amadeus who grabbed tightly on Vlad's expensive trousers.

"Sure with your mom too, but first let me meet her, and have a small chat since I got to this place for a reason." confirmed Vlad sending the young Amadeus into a frenzy, as he let go of the trousers and started jumping around kicking his feet together.

"Fuck yeah, I've done it! Ahh, can I ask what you are looking for?"

"A Cave that is said to have the shape of a Cathedral when stepping inside, close to a temple for prayers. Heard about such a Cave existing in the Briss Kingdom?"

"Doesn't sound familiar, but I think mom knows those locations better from word of mouth. Compared to mom, I don't know much."

"Good enough. Lead the way, young man."

From the center of the Slum, Amadeus took the outsider deeper in the Slum, and at the periphery of this chaotic mess where people looked at Vlad as if he was a haunting ghost while for others they saw his appearance as an opportunity of making great money.

And yet, whenever they would get closer to him and Amadeus, they would freeze down, trembling, and sweating. Gulps of saliva could be heard behind Vlad, as he walked with his overwhelming pressure being released outside, warning those people to back off if they don't wish to die.

Dirty passages after one another, the young musician finally slowed down while looking at times at Vlad to check what he thought of this place.

What was in front of Vlad was a small shack that had many repairs on it, with the glass windows being shattered, but reinforced with some wood to not allow the winds get easily inside the home.

"While it is not the Royal Castles you might have lived in, I call this my mansion. Once I make money I'll have this place renovated with new windows and better doors, since many drunks tried to get inside and harass mom."

"..."

"Ohh, also you better don't try anything funny on mom, or I will cut your throat, just like I did with many of those fucks trying to make our lives harder." called out Amadeus, threatening Vlad with his throat if he would ever try something on his mother, even admitting to killing people.

Vlad's abyssal eyes gave off some haki energy when hearing the casual confession of the youngster, and without feeling offended by these threats, he watched Amadeus open the door, while calling with a warm, gentle, and even educated greeting.

"Dear mother, I've come back."

"Darling, are you alright? Tell me those people didn't bully you again for playing music with your blessed gifts."

"Not at all, mommy. I managed to get even a Patron, an important one! Ahh, and he came to visit you for something important."

"You brought someone? A Patron?"

It was the voice of a gentle, woman, and with Vlad having to crouch down to get inside this shack, he found it hard to stay upright, hitting his head on the wooden ceiling. Still, he managed to meet the woman, who this kid was so respectful and gentle, talking without any profanities.

"Greetings, madame."

"Who are you, and what business do you have with my Son? Your attire is clearly of someone not from Briss Kingdom and Arcadia."

"Mom? Don't worry, this is? Hey, mister … what is your name?"

"Vlad Dracul. A Doctor and Alchemist from Picodras Island."

"Cool … *Ahem* That is indeed interesting, sir."

"..."

The woman who took Amadeus by hand, bringing him behind her, instantly captured the Ruler's interest with the vigilance and knowledge she showed of the outside world.

She was a woman in her late 30s, who just like Amadeus had blonde hair that wasn't washed, while her clothes were of a peasant woman.

However, something was off about this woman, a small detail that only an individual who lived his whole life surrounded by the privileged nobility could tell, her posture had dignity and elegance.

This wasn't something a worm of the slums could learn, no, it was something instilled in the bodies of the nobles after years of training and living a certain life.

Looking closer at the woman with his sharp abyssal eyes, he could see that if he took the lair of dirt from her skin, and washed off her blonde hair, she would be a gorgeous madame.

"What would a person like you, who clearly isn't struggling with money, want from me and my son?"

"Your son, I want to take him from this Slum, something that he personally agrees with."

"I will not allow it. Amadeus will stay here with me."

"Mommy? What's wrong? Don't you want to move away from this place full of drunks, thieves and crazy people? There's no future for us here, and I want to make you happy with my music."

"My son, mommy knows better than you."

Amadeus looked at his mother, then at Vlad who he saw for the first time smiling widely, giving off a dangerous feeling to him for some reason.

What he heard next from the tall man who couldn't even stand straight because of how small the house, shook his internal world.

"Madame, could it be? Are you hiding away from someone or something?"

"This doesn't corner you, "Doctor". Now, I invite you out of my house."

Vlad shook his head, and with a sarcastic tone, he told the woman as he moved inside the shack, taking a seat while crossing his long legs.

"Sorry, but your son managed to win my interest, something that even you are approaching quickly.  Ohh, and your son invited the Devil in his home, which would be impossible to get him out without signing a contract."

The woman looked at Vlad with mixed emotions, then at Amadeus who didn't understand why his mother wouldn't want to go out of the Slum that caused them so much pain and anxiety. 

She sighed, and while taking her son by the hand, moved to another room of the shack.

"Son, you remain here, while I talk with this dangerous individual, you brought. Remember what I taught you."

"Always trust mommy. But … It's clear that mister Vlad wants to help us. He loves my music, and even wants me to teach him to play the instrument."

"He isn't from Arcadia. You can't trust a person so easily, son, just because he says he wants to help us… The World we live in is a harsh place that doesn't forgive mistakes."

Making sure her son was calmed, she walked back inside the main room where Vlad looked around himself, exploring this shack that was actually clean, another clashing conflict between appearances.

"Beautiful words … "The World we live in is a harsh place." I can't agree further on how right you can be, my lady."

"You can agree to my words, and add various compliments to an ugly hag like me, it wouldn't change my decision to not allow you to take my son."

"Ohh really? Amusing when you say that. In fact I think there is quite a beautiful lady behind that thick layer of dirt. However, there is something you are mistaken, my lady, I can take your son with me without you even realizing."

"... You'll become a criminal for kidnapping an innocent child from his mother."

"And I'll also kidnap you, so my young musician can focus on his dream."

"Kidnap me??"

Tension was building up inside the woman's body, and she started trembling when closing her eyes, as if certain haunting images followed her.

A display of weakness that didn't make much difference to Vlad, in fact it just reinforced the idea this woman was of noble birth, hiding from certain people.

"... Sigh, and I made sure to stay silent and hidden from people. Is my family so unfortunate and cursed to suffer the tyranny of the strong?"

Her green eyes looked with resolution at Vlad, who was in a collected state, even when she asked him for his true identity.

"Who are you? It's clear to me you are not a normal doctor or alchemist. You don't look like one regardless of how much you would want to convince me."

"Now, now. Relax, my lady.

I truly have no intent in harming you or your son. My intent, in the beginning, was to reach some tavern in this Slum and gather information about a Cave in the shape of a Cathedral. It was your son's stunt that distracted me from my quest, and it just so happens I took a liking to him and his music."

The woman couldn't help but get tense again after hearing about what Vlad was looking for, and she understood her reaction was too obvious, making her ask again.

"Why are you looking for that place?"

"My ... To think I've hit the jackpot inside a dirty slum. I even found an interesting child, and now I get my answers so swiftly. Sometimes I should trust more on my guts than intellect."

"Respond to me!"

"My lady, no need to raise your tone. We have the entire day and night at our disposal to talk it out. First, I will respond back with a question

Have you ever heard about the book called "Legends of Atlas". I believe it should be quite the popular children's storybook worldwide, but especially in South Blue."

"... Who doesn't know it? This doesn't respond to my question."

"Chapter 15, page 58, I'll cite the passages, so listen carefully. "The young boy saw something new once he adventured toward the North of his father's kingdom.  The Earth opened up for him, shaped like a palm, taking him deeper into the crevices of the earth.

No monstrous dangers lurked in this place as he explored deeper, only the wide cavern in the shape of a Cathedral revealed for the young boy, pillars keeping the weight of the World, breathing spirit in this place."

"... Doesn't tell much, it can be anywhere."

"Then continue listening, Chapter 21, page 86, randomly selected paragraphs.

The King remembered the sights of his childhood, and with nostalgia in mind, he decided to make his mark known that this was a monument of the World that would put to shame his Rival and Friend.

He made the Cave into an underground Temple for people to pray for their King's Soul, and the people soon started gathering inside the Temple, and sign odes for their great king."

"My lady, I know it, you know it. The place from the story is located inside Briss. I heard many stories from back home about the geology of this place where many cavers were brought to light by explorers.

Their accounts of their discovery remain immortalized in writing."

"... You are truly not the average person. There's no point in lying to you, the place you are searching is inside Briss, a place called the Tomb of Kings, where all the members of the Royal Briss Family are buried."

At last, Vlad found his next target, but the mystery surrounding this woman and her son made him want to explore her too.

"My lady, much appreciated for your honest response. You excused me from the trouble of getting in conflict with people by my search.

To your previous question, some people know me for Bounty Hunting. But my passion lies in different arts."

"If you want to get in the Tomb of King's, you'll need a Royal member to open it."

"Don't I have one in front of me?"

"This is where you are wrong, mister Dracul. I used to be just a Duchess of this Kingdom before my family was destroyed by the Royal House for the "so-called" treason."

"Royal Drama… Marvelous. I just escaped from one in Sorbet."

"I abandoned any thoughts of revenge against the Briss House. They are so heavily protected by the Marines and Royal Guards that it wouldn't be impossible for me to even lift a finger."

"I see. Still, I can tell you this, anything is possible in this world. Not that I intend to avenge you and your family, is none of my concern."

"Logically. I didn't tell you this because I wanted pity. I just want to live in peace with my son. To watch him grow into a fine young man."

"You've chosen a wrong place for this, but I don't have much to complain about your child. Maybe his giggle and profanities can be worked on."

"Profanities? My angel doesn't swear at all. Don't you dare accuse my child of anything wrongful. I've taught him manners from a tender age."

"Don't get me wrong, I quite like your son. Besides, how should I call you, madam since I feel you and your son will sail with me."

"Linda Lithén. And, no, we'll not sail anywhere with a stranger like you."

4