Chapter 5 – Learning how to be mother and a kid.
48 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

An hour ago - Mai Shimizu

Mai watched as the rest of the group got on the boat and left. She was still here on the Island, still thinking about what the guardian Lugia-sama said about the boy.

 A good parent is someone who strives to make better decisions in the best interest of the child. What makes a great parent isn’t only defined by the parent’s actions, but also their intention. At least that is what she thinks, that is what her father taught her. Something her mother clearly failed to do. And perhaps her as well. 

And she fears that she’s just like her mother.

A good parent doesn’t have to be perfect. No one is perfect. No child is perfect either … keeping this in mind, it is important when she sets some sort of expectations. Her mother expects so much of her, but her father only wants one thing. Strength. And so Mai focuses on that as well, strength for the boy.

Perfection isn’t her goal. But it doesn’t mean that one shouldn’t work towards that goal. Set high standards for ourselves first and then our children second. We serve as important role models for them, which is why Mai is tough on the boy in training. 

“I do not want him to falter because of weakness, not like what I was, never again.”

Mai took out her last Pokemon she caught several years back. A Cloyster came out.

“Cloyster!”

Mai smiled as she patted the giant shell as it tried to lunge at her and tried to clamp her within its shell.

“Not now girl, It’s been a while but we have something else to do”

Her Cloyster, one of her oldest companion, Not her first, her second.If her first bonded is still here in this world, she would be proud of Cloyster.Gone is that timid shy Shelder, now a powerhouse in her own right. Cloyster her second bonded. The one she named Koko. That name only uttered in private, not in public.

“Cloyster, teleport”

Mai teleported into the Grand Headquarters of the Shimizu clan. There she appeared before her audience room, where important delegates from other clans would come and meet her in an official capacity. The Sages would convene and discuss many political manners here, but Father is not here.

In his absence, she would take the mantle of Clan interim leader to deal with clan matters while he is away.

Today is one of those days.

The Nensho clan sends their regards and congratulations after she manages to curb the Pokemon Outbreak near the borders. This is not a gesture of weakness, but the prostration of a stronger clan. The Nensho clan is the strongest clan in Aisho, although these days it’s debatable to compare our clan to them since to some commoner opinion among the citizens of Aisho, Our clan would be the far superior one rather than the Honshu based clan living within some Volcano. The clan members primarily use Fire-type Pokemon as their partners. Their Kenshi mastered the Fire Form arts.

One could argue that they are only second to the Shimizu clan because of the direct weakness of their arts and Pokemon preference. Otherwise, they might as well be the strongest clan in Aisho next to the Akui clan. 

A delegate of theirs sends us an invitation to their Clan Home to meet the Patriarch. Perhaps this is one of their many marriage proposals?. Mai would just reject those. She is highly doubtful they would send something so distasteful these days. She now has a child of her own, although in the past even if she did deny and reject many times regardless of her interest in arrange marriage, Her mother and the far more influential circles in the political side tend to brush her opinion off, simply as another heir to marry off.

She is grateful to Arceus for granting her wishes. Kyo being here, doesn’t fix everything, but it gives her legitimate measure to refuse any arrange marriage.

A child granted by Arceus himself with the blessing of the guardian of Aisho, Lugia. The clan wouldn’t dare to force things through if they knew this. Father and the sages would have to change their plans now. So does mother. The news would have travelled far already that she has an heir of her own, but the Nensho clan will keep ignoring it. The Nensho clan isn’t one suited for subtleties after all. They will keep demanding things until someone relents.

A boorish clan that demands everything and offer nothing. Thankfully, this is about a different matter

A joint academy for the four dominating clans in order to pool their resources and knowledge and teach the younger generation of Kenshi and genin about the command of Aura and Pokemon techniques, for academic purposes and also to boost their battle potential against any incoming threats. 

The Nensho clan sent a petite woman by the name of Akamai Nensho. Daughter of the Firelord herself. They were childhood friends and grew up together. Akamai became the Nensho clan delegate as she enjoys travelling around Aisho. But today, her face did not show any of that joy. With a heavy heart, she bowed and delivered the message we all dread to hear.

She greeted her friend. “How are you, old friend? Traveling doesn’t seem to cheer you up no more”

Her friend could only grunt and said,

“ The Shogun has left The Capital city. We are tracking this incident with Lord Goro as we speak. We have seen the Wataru clan from Honshu flying over the Belltower near the Palace, and we assume that the Shogun has fled the Palace towards Honshu.

Mai could only frown in dismay at that terrible news. Civil war has been brewing since before the Shogun fled. News she just received today from the Nensho clan is hardly surprising when they saw the signs of frequent border attacks. That and Mai’s father, Goro has been hearing rumours from the mouth of the Shogun himself about modernization and leaving their culture to embrace capitalism and civilization. 

“ Did the Wataru clan betray us?”

There’s something damning about these rumours, too. Murmurs and idling chatter include foreign interference. This isn’t about Aisho and Honshu anymore. A third party has entered the fray.Possibly from the region of Kyushu. One of their interference, perhaps?

Akamai simply shrugs it off. “ We are trying to comfirm this matter as well. Perhaps your survey corps will have a better results than our brutes. Our clan isnt exactly famous for our stellar intelligence gathering.”

 The Shogun desires to change the economy and industrialize and adopt Western ideas and tried to modernize their warfare method ever since Camelot , the United States of America and the Orleans region, made their trip here a few years back, spreading their culture and technology. Things haven’t been the same. Aisho has always respected the old ways and tradition.

While the Aisho region is generally ruled by the ruling clan, the Shogun has been distancing himself from the majority of the clan control and tried to create his own forces outside of Aisho, specifically past the Indigo Plateau into the Region of Honshu.

Mai looked toward her friend and asked worryingly

“What is the Nensho clan’s stance on this? About our previous proposition, will the pact be honored despite this news?”

Akamai nodded and bowed as she took out a small missive and gave it to her. The letter contains a small coin inside with the emblem of the Nensho clan. 

“Please give this to Master Natto as well. We will need his help in the upcoming preparation. The plan will continue. We would like an audience with all the leaders at the Komorei Clan Family estate on neutral ground. Former Patriarch Kamado requested that they convene before he left for his expedition into the Hisui region.”

Mai took the letter and nodded. She would not pry it open

“ I will send this to him. Any news regarding the reformation of the region?”

Akamai just shakes her head in disappointment and rant off her displeasure.

“ The Shogun will not change his mind. He wishes to unite all of Indigo under one banner”

According to Akamai, they are attempting to create a new government. Something they named the Johto/Kanto Restoration government. Changing the region of Aisho to the Johto Prefecture Region, and the Region of Honshu into the Kanto Prefecture region. 

Said restoration effort will also request that the majority of the controlling clan give back their land to the control of the government and then reformed under a new government with the Head of state as a governor or mayor. A western concept. Something Mai truly does not comprehend. She honours the code of the Bushido. That code has been a way of life for her people for hundreds of years.

To preserve the way of life? Or do we change?. Either way, all clans would lose significant power over the realm they rule.

Even though she doesn’t want that, she knew her father went to meet with the Shogun, to think that the Shogun fled to the other side. What did the Honshu people think about this? Are they really content with this? What about their leading clans’ thoughts? Much of this is going on in her head as it churns, and she worries for the boy. Let’s hope that this won’t escalate into something regrettable.

Does the Nensho clan approve of this? They would lose a significant amount of power and regional control if they approve of this.

Did Arceus know all of this? Is this why he sent the boy here? What could a little boy do? Mai knew she was thinking too much, but she couldn’t stop these horrid thoughts from forming. If what she deduced will come true, and the Civil War does happen? Perhaps it’s wise to remove the clan from the equation and serve themselves, or perhaps she is thinking too much. She is not a clan leader yet…

There’s nothing she can do in the present.

Akamai said she would leave soon and is moving towards the Komorei clan to inform the news as she left for Hagane city for transit. 

“ I have to go now. I heard you have a cute little kid.”

Mai can’t help but relax a little and smile at the mention of Kyo

“He’s great. Takes over after his grandpa too. His name is Kyo”

Akamai can’t help but raise an eye

“ The general, huh? So he’s a scholar. That’s good. For what’s it worth, I’m sorry about my brother with his stupid letters. He’s an ass, and no one likes him anyway, so good riddance. Too bad we can’t be a family”

She can’t help but frown at the insinuation but it didn’t matter since she can play this card too “ Perhaps, but at least an arrange marriage could be done with our children now”

That made her friend perked up and smile “Oh..Oh! yes, Yakeru and Akane, is that alright?”

Mai pondered for a moment in order to gather her thoughts as to what she needed to say. “ If my son agrees, yes. If your daughter wishes so, then yes. I would not force this Akamai, I do not wish your children to be bartered to suit our clan’s creed and ideals.”

She couldn’t agree or disagree and kept her mouth open, trying to say something, but she couldn’t deny it. She too was married into the Nensho clan under an arrange marriage. To her, it might seem like a strange concept, but is it so bad to want a choice in the matter of choosing your lifelong partner? Or for some people, simply not choosing at all.

Akamai concluded that she would agree after much deliberation.

“Alright, if my daughter and your son don’t disapprove..umm, Mai, can I ask you something?”

“What is it?”

“Do you regret it? Refusing to marry my brother?”

She has thought of this matter already.

“You’re asking if and only if two of our clan wed, even the Shogun couldn’t do anything to us with the two most powerful clan wed by matrimony. The political implication would last for centuries, perhaps even swaying the seat of power and change the landscape of clan dynamics in the future?”

Akamai couldn’t stop smiling. “I forgot that you’re actually really smart. Smarter than most people I know”

Mai nodded. “I do not regret my choice, besides. I have a son now. Politics does not interest me”

A lie she said to omit and deflect any outward discrepancies with the public.

Akamai nodded smiling “Yes you do. See you again Mai”

“You too” she said.

Akamai nodded and left.

 Mai could only sit there silently as she pondered what to do next, but nothing came up. She didn’t want to prepare for war. Not now, at least. She looks at the window and the location of the sun. It seems like the party will probably arrive there already. She’s not hungry. The meeting didn’t take as long as she thought. What Akamai said concerned her a great deal.

School for Kyo. How would he react to it?

Mai summoned her Cloyster to get ready to teleport to the Ramen Shop.

“Cloyster!”

“come on Koko, let’s meet up with my son”

The Giant Clam Pokemon began to hum when she saw her partner again. Mai could only smile wryly and pat the large Pokemon and put her hand on its shell. She could only look at the coin in her fingers. She now wonders if Akamai knew that she would be heading towards Master Natto’s Ramen shop in a few minutes. Either way, she would do it, and she would ask Master Natto’s opinion of this. 

Betrayal from the Wataru clan? Incoming invasion from hostile forces? Possibly an organization from Kyushu? What is the pattern here? She could not see.

“Perhaps something is hidden in plain sight, something I am unable to see yet. A bowl of Ramen will be good for me”

Mai nodded towards the Cloyster and then said,

“Cloyster, teleport”

 

 ..............,........ 

 Current timeline - Natto Restaurant-

False alarm. It was a burped. An Aura boom that comes with a burp. The soup was that good.

Satisfying? You wouldn’t know satisfaction if it beats you up with a metal bat to your face.Kyo could feel the Springy noodles in his mouth. It’s the definition of satisfying. The combination of the warm broth, the chewy noodles, and the wide range of toppings that complements its rich flavour is an experience in itself. There’s also the taste of the ocean. He could not see how the Ramen would invoke the taste of the Ocean when he didn’t see any Fish-based ingredient. Or perhaps...is this meat actually made of fish? Pokemon fish? maybe a Magicarp flesh?

“Come on, Totodile, you gotta try this!”

Kyo tried to give some of the soup to the little Pokemon as the little guy slurped it from the spoon.

“Toto!”

The little guy seems to like it. As he slurps it all up and wants more. Mai could only frown as she worried the young Pokemon would try to climb onto the table to get it.

“Hahahaha! Not to worry young heir, I already prepared one for your partner as well”

The Ramen owner prepared a separate bowl on a separate table. Towards the far right of the room, Momo’s Vulpix and Kazuki’s Poliwhirl are having a bowl for themselves. Do Pokemon enjoy eating ramen? Kyo has seen a lot of things, but this is rather ridiculous. Seeing how Vulpix just gulped it down with her face in the bowl the Poliwhirl ignored the chopsticks and the spoon to drink the soup with its hands.

“Totodile!”

 The little Totodile ran towards its friends as he too munched and slurped on his own bowl, prepared on a little table by the side next to the two Pokemon.

“Vul!”

The Vulpix chided the little blue friend of hers for gorging the food like it was his last meal, but the little Totodile didn’t care for it.

Master Natto smiled happily as he overlooks three young Pokemon enjoying his Ramen. He nodded happily and took a bite from his bowl too as he urged the Mistress of the Shimizu clan to eat before it got cold.

“Eat Mai, your father will give me an ear if he finds out that I do not feed you sufficiently in my home, You teleporting here and informing me to prepare this so suddenly, I hope this bowl will be adequate as I do not have enough time to prepare”

Mai nodded graciously as she started slurping the soup. It was really delicious. She smiled in delight as she drank the soup and took a bite of the Noodle. It’s been a while since she had really good food like this. Mai looked towards Kazuki as the young man’s face is in turmoil. Perhaps trying to figure out how to replicate this taste for the clan.

“Thank you, master Natto, my boy needed this”

Mai gave a slight bow towards master Natto as he curiously gave me a confused look and laugh it off

“ Haha! To think that little Mai now has a little kid? Oh. I’ve certainly grown old”

Kazuki and momo smiled softly at their father and father-in-law. A hearty man who wears his happiness ok n his sleeves and his cooking.

Kyo glanced at them and decided to finish his soup when BAM...a burning sensation hit his stomach. Some sort of energy is swirling around him. Master Natto stood up, and a Pokemon swooped down from the ceiling. A Shuppet appears out of thin air and starts to giggle as the Pokemon twirls around towards the boy.

“It’s time. I will handle this for him. Enjoy your meal. It will only take a few minutes”

Mai looked worried, but knew that this was why she brought him here. To fully awaken and reinforce the Water style trait and enhance his aura absorption rate. Master Natto here is an expert in using Aura-infused cuisine. His cuisine is able to heal Pokemon and people alike with his cooking. Something Kazuki has been training for the past few years to emulate, but could only do a fraction of that skill.

Master Natto Ghost Pokemon is an expert at manipulating energy, especially when it comes to moving specific Type Energy within the core of the soul, for someone so young, using a modified Clan spirit shackle to force the Aura within so it won’t escape. Mai has heard that this method involves mastery over infinity energy and refining them.

The first time is always the hardest to maintain a proper connection to the core. An Aura user will manifest much more freely once it circulates around the body. 

The boy is very talented as Master Natto hardly needs to command his own Pokemon to fix any minute detail that diverges or leaks from his body. The boy is a natural conduit for absorbing Aura. It seems Mai has been teaching him the basics of breathing and mental projection.  Master Natto can’t help but grin in envy towards Mai’s young son.

Someone with an affinity to Aura like this would definitely learn his aura cuisine recipe and implement them easily. Perhaps he might tempt the boy in the pursuit of culinary arts?old man Natto muses to himself as he ponders and imagines himself gaining a new disciple. The boy inherited his mother’s origin Aura after all, similar to the child of samurai.

Master Natto didn’t think they would be two younger generations with the Origin power in the same generation.

As for his own disciple?

 His latest and only direct disciple Kazuki had been trying for years to master one of his recipes and yet he still couldn’t do it because of his low understanding of aura. Somehow, the young man couldn’t imbue his own aura with the food properly no matter how much he tried. Perhaps a younger disciple would spur him to do better, would he?

That is why he suggested the man to seek out the help of his own clan. He was aware that the boy wasn’t interested in becoming the head of his clan, but his training was certainly lacking. Perhaps something his clan could fix while he couldn’t.

The potential of his disciple needs to be tempered more before he could shine as a diamond. While this little one is here? He’s no diamond. Try Orichalcum instead.

“Oh, it’s complete! He’s quite the unique one, isn’t he? Haven’t seen someone take to Aura that easily since...the Shogun’s Samurai...ah .”

Master Natto smiled as the young boy's energy settled down within him, and the Ghost Pokemon laughed gleefully before disappearing again. They could still hear trails of laughter from afar. Kyo looked at himself as he felt a tinge of energy flowing around him, empowering him and feeding him. He could feel his whole body growing and absorbing the surrounding air. 

Kyo could only fold his arms as he tried to think what sort of phenomenon this was. Another anomaly he isn’t familiar with. Food infused with aura? This definitely didn’t exist in the current canon Pokemon timeline..or does it? He can’t be sure since there’s like hundreds of episodes of the anime, He knew he didn’t watch all of it. Some of those episodes aren’t available on Netflix.

Kazuki’s jaw dropped as he saw the little boy move around like it was nothing. The last time he remembered when it was his first awakening was when he was still 12 years old. Back then, it took him three hours. This is only .. five minutes? Seems like the young heir to Shimizu is really blessed by Sinnoh.

Kazuki couldn’t help but whine to his master as he still couldn’t believe what he was seeing. He turned to his master’s face with eyes shock and awe at this event. His master smiling deviantly like a fool.

“Did you change the formula? A new recipe, perhaps Master? You really outdid yourself”

Master Natto just gave his pupil the stink eye and said,

“Bah! Since when do I need to change my recipe? It’s the same recipe my mother and wife used to make. The awakening is successful. That’s all that matters. Maybe now he can actually give you a run for your money, Kazuki my boy. By the way? How’s that recipe I gave you a year ago? Are you able to replicate it?”

Kazuki could only shake his head in embarrassment.

“I uhh..still can’t get the Aura to infused with the ingredients. I thought it was the freshness of the ingredients but..that’s not entirely it either. I just need to get better at controlling my aura.”

Master Natto could only nod in a stern attitude as he lectured the Man

“It’s alright, take your time, Kazuboy! Come to the back, let me teach you how to control it. Perhaps there can be some enlightenment with your teacher. Have I ever mention about your mother visiting?”

Kazuki rose happily and went back to the Kitchen with his master as Momo just smiled and played with the Pokemon and cleaned the bowl up to wash them. Mai has finished her bowl as well. Kyo can’t help but stare at his foster mother.

She seems rather tense today. Did something happen earlier? He knew from experience that working corporate is hard. When the leader is away, it’s up to management to take up the slack. Mom is practically in management then. He worked in management before; it wasn’t easy handling your subordinates like children.

Kyo couldn’t imagine how this young woman took all that burden on herself. There must be something on her mind. If only He could soothe her. Oh? Perhaps he can. Something to cheer her up? What about a dank knock-knock joke.Do they even have knock-knock jokes here in Aisho?

“Mother, have you ever heard of a knock-knock joke?”

The sudden question of her child snapped Mai back from her dazed state. She pondered for a while and’ could not understand what the boy was trying to say.

“What’s a...knock-knock joke?”

Kyo could only smile devilishly as he said,

“knock-knock, and Mother, you must say, who’s there? The knock-knock means someone is knocking on your door. So let’s try this again. Knock-knock”

Mai tries to think hard on this. Is this some sort of puzzle? A clue to his past life? Why on earth would someone knock on your door? The people here use sliding doors, they hardly knock on them. She decided to play along and go with it.

“Who’s there?”

“Honeydew”

Mai’s brain started to race again. What on earth is a Honeydew? She knew about Honey, but what is Honeydew? She couldn’t help but ask Kyo what’s a Honeydew was .

“What’s a Honeydew?”

“Honey, dew you want a hug? Oh, wait..that’s not appropriate is it?”

Mai’s brain started to shut down for her mind couldnt comprehend this. Would it mean she’s a bad mother if she doesn’t know about this? What would she say? Does honey refer to her? Perhaps her son is asking her if she wants a hug? Why wouldn’t it be inappropriate? Is this...him trying to make a joke? Mai could only surmise that the boy was trying for a joke.

On the otherhand, Kyo could only stare at her flatly. It seems the joke doesn’t pan out quite well. A miscalculation of his mother’s personality and mannerism..

“Wait, let me try another”

The boy tries to think of another joke as her Mother just stares at the little boy curiously, thinking about what he’s going to say next. She might not understand these jokes. But it does seem rather novel and entertaining. 

“What..did the Teddyursa give his mommy? A bear hug? No, wait..Teddyursa is an ursine Pokemon. There is no bear in this world. She wouldn’t get the joke. ..oh? What did the baby corn say to the mama corn? a popcorn? Nah, too corny. Also, popcorn might not exist here. I might find a way to make popcorn exist here if I can find Corn, dangit..this is hard. I wonder if there are any Pokemon jokes I could use”

then something brilliant came to mind

“Oh, I got it. Why can’t you blindfold a Pokemon?”

Mai tries to think again. Is this a serious question or another joke? Why can’t you blindfold a Pokemon? His Father’s Ursaring often blindfolds to learn Frustration Shadow and shadow rush, Well, she doesn’t know.

“ I don’t know why you can’t blindfold a Pokemon, but my father used that to train his Ursaring in order to learn certain techniques and master certain moves. Does that answer your question?”

Kyo just stare at her and said

“Shit, that’s kinda cool, ah crap! I mean uhh…”

Kyo’s brain started to shut down and panic. That is not what he had in mind..he had the perfect joke too. Or at least it was a Pokemon-themed one. He wont give up!

“Uhh... I was gonna say because it’s going to Pikachu. Ya know? Because it’s going to Peek, At..Chu?”

Mai could only stare at the boy awkwardly, with a deadpan look as the boy stared back with his blank face. Both showed flat emotions that mirrored each other. The only thing that could be going in both of their brains right now is three lines of 

....

silence ensues as the both of them kept staring at each other.Mai decides to break the ice and says,

“Oh...it’s a joke? A..Peekatchu? Like a Pikachu? the electric mouse Pokemon?”

Kyo started to sweat bullets in his mind even if his outward outlook wouldn’t show it. It really did backfire on him. This wasn’t funny at all. It’s a disaster.

“Quick! Think of another one! Oh no, I can’t think of another one. Let’s just...tell her why I’m doing this. I’m bad at jokes. Let’s just stop, this isn’t me.”

Kyo looks up to his Mother as he relaxes his body. The tenseness he felt has left his body and his eyes now shine with exuberance once more. The change in attitude quite startled Mai. The boy is really adorable when he acts this way.

“I just...wanted to cheer you up. You seemed down since we entered the Ramen shop. I thought, maybe a joke or two would cheer you up, I thought of a joke yeah? I tried to improvise with the Pikachu thing”

Mai’s heart melted as she felt a touch of sorrow in her body, her shoulders drooping with sadness. Was she this unreliable that a child needed to comfort her? Her movements slowed for a moment. She was grateful and touched by this boy. She forgets that the boy is only six years old. 

What sort of experience could he have had in his previous life to be brought here into this world? Arceus didn’t tell her much. He only told her that the boy came from another world. He wasn’t abandoned, but he had no one. At first Mai thought that Lugia sama might imply that Arceus would simply kidnap a child from another world, but the guardian assures her that the boy is special and came here due to special circumstances with a trial of his own..

It was by Arceus’ blessing that the child would grow up normally here while he undergoes Arceus trials in safety. That is the only accord they have agreed upon. The boy wouldn’t be able to divulge anything due to the seal of the guardian on him.

But Arceus gave his word that the boy was hers. Is hers, made in her image. This she believes to be true.It doesn’t stop her from thinking, why would a child abandon everything he had to come here from another world? What horrors did he meet in the other world in order to flee into Arceus sama’s protection?

This world, she knew, it isn’t perfect. Full of strife and war and hidden politics and half veiled measured threats. For Arceus and Lugia to accept that a boy would be “safer” here rather than there? Perhaps this is why you don’t make deals with gods.. Human intuition and sensibilities do not apply to deities. Not to mention a trial. What trial? What could a six-year-old do?

Would she pity him? No, she would not. He is here, after all. All is well.

And right now, she would answer him as well. Mai slowly carried the boy in her arms. He didn’t resist and gave him a hug. The boy seemed a bit taken aback by this gesture, but didn’t refuse it as he hugged her back. Mai could feel how small the boy was since the last time she took her in his arms. She hadn’t truly noticed that this was but a mere boy. All that training she did.. She never questioned it and only thought about what was good for him. Do what you can, as much as you can permit.

For he’s but just a child. He’s my child.

Mai kept hugging the boy and didn’t let go. It was comforting. The boy is very comforting as a tear trickled by her face. She never knew deep sorrow like this. It hurts. How do you comfort a child? She does not know. Will a hug do?

“Yes, I do want a hug, and yes..you can peek at me as much as you want. Just like a Pikachu”

Kyo could only nod in her embrace. He felt a nice fuzzy feeling in his heart. Something he never thought he truly needed. The comfort of someone else. 

“Mm...okay”

He said as he closed his eyes in her embrace. The both of them hugged and cuddled before, but then again, it was rather awkward before this.

Kyo did not know how to react to this, either. Why is she crying?

There was always a little barrier. And after that brief altercation with Totodile, the little wall just got higher and higher. A part of his heart was still closed back then, perhaps even now it still is. But at least, he wants to do better. Wants to be there for this woman, His mother. 

He never had a mother before. Now that he suddenly has one, He doesn’t know how to act around her. Even though Kyo lived until thirty-five in his previous world, he was equally confused. Having a family was something always on his mind. To seek a semblance of family, he hung around Jack and Katherine with the triplets and became their uncle. IT WAS something. A family. But not truly his own.

Maybe from this second chance at life, he can try to learn and become a kid again. Maybe he will try to open up again? Kyo wanted to try. It’s alright to act ..no, to become a child again, would it? Would she hate him if she knew the truth about him? Kyo put that thought in the back of his mind. For now, this is enough.

Acting like a kid again, it’s so embarrassing.

…………………………

 

Master Natto brought the rest of us to a different location. Clansmen heavily guarded the place. Although these clansmen are just ordinary people. Just villagers working for the clan. This location seems quite far from town. They went into a clearing in the forest nearby. There is a giant wooden gate that reminds him of a gym from the future. From the looks of it, Kyo seems to know this location, something he watched with the triplets on a Saturday afternoon. Pokemon animation. 

This place reminded him of Olivine City. How does he know? 

The Ramen shop is right in front of a small harbour and on the side was the iconic light tower similar to that of Olivine city. However, the City name wasn't Olivine, and the Light Tower wasn't made of stone; it was actually made of wood with a Johtonian concept, similar to the Belltower. The road leading north of this pathway and from the horizon seems to intersect to the east. It does seem that this path is heading towards Ecruteak City.

Kyo really was in the past. But how far back in Johto? 200 years? 500 years? Pokeballs already existed here, but it wasn’t widespread. Only clan heirs and clan certain key clan members own one. And not many people have a Pokemon of their own. Kyo questioned the timeline he found himself in and the reason for his arrival by Arceus. Perhaps he will know more soon. Master Natto led us to a place that looked like a sanctuary for Pokemon.

“Hoh? is that you Pops?”

A young woman stood there that resembled an iconic look that Kyo could recognize anywhere. She looks similar to Jasmine, perhaps one of her ancestors. Kyo could only speculate as the young woman with her Iconic brown hair and yellow beads typing up her hair, but instead of the odd rabbit-like style, this lady here had it in a twin tail wearing a shrine maiden outfit showed up with a smile and bowed towards us.

The place is familiar and yet different, something is vastly different and intimidating the Aura around Kyo felt tense as he gazed upon this manmade building, A glorious monument of steel and rocks carved and shaped so unnaturally that it has an artistic sense of style and thought carved within it’s an opaque and oblique wall. This building is manmade, and yet it’s something he cannot understand since the method to make them is simply inconceivable, as if someone will the buildings together and merge them into some sort of hybrid between nature and construction. 

Kyo watched as he marvelled at what he saw for the first time, the woman who resembled Gym Leader Jasmine although only for a little. She simply had the same hair colour and the same brown-golden coloured irises.

The woman started to seriously stare towards Kyo for a brief moment as she floated upon a rock and wielded it to form the shape of stone to steel and into a unifying form that was familiar to him.

“Another Aura User.”

Kyo thought to himself as he observed how the woman wielded Steel-type energy through her aura control. She’s as good as Mai is when it comes to water control.

Kyo saw how that woman used Aura to turn stone marble into a table in the blink of an eye. Her technique almost seemed magical. Kyo wondered if he still lived in the same Pokemon world that he was used to. This is a world where Aura is so much more than just some energy. 

The woman stood proud and firm, smiling happily at her incoming guest, Kyo was still being carried like a child, showing his twinkled eye as he watched in wonder, Mai couldn’t help but smile as she saw the little boy enjoying the simple trick that lady did. The woman created more constructs from stone and metal and created chairs. Elegant and functional. The woman floated down from the rock and hopped off as she bowed to Master Natto and us.

“ It’s been a while pops, And you, lady Shimizu.” The woman nodded firmly while smiling at Mai. Kyo could see that her mother nodded with a curt reply and a satisfied smile.

“It’s been a while since we last met Sudo, your technique is getting better”

“Hi, big sister!” Momo chimed in. Kyo turn his gaze towards the two siblings, noticing the disparity between the two.

“So this Sudo lady is Momo’s big sister? They certainly don’t look alike.”

Kyo thought to himself as the lady before them simply smiled broadly and out jumped a Pokemon Kyo was not familiar with from behind lady Sudo. Upon closer look, it was a Roggenrola. A Pokemon that is not native to these lands. 

The Pokemon seems to be speaking to the lady as she responds to the little one. Momo hugged the woman, it seemed that both of them were sisters, although they looked so different. Perhaps Momo’s looks came from her mother. Kyo could see the resemblance between Lady Sudo and Master Natto. Both of them dress similarly with similar coloured eyes and hair colour While Momo’s hair is strikingly bright red.

“Toto!” 

The little guy stopped the Roggenrola from rolling right into them with his little stubby hands blocking the little rock Pokemon. Totodile seems a little angry at what the little guy is about to do, scaring his little human like that. Kyo wasn’t exactly scared, just surprised and curious. The two of these Pokemon seem to be chatting with each other.

“That’s right! Roggy here says that this little boy practices the Shimizu style! 

Kyo looked at the woman and nodded as her mother put him down and started to address the rest of them. And just noticed that she was able to communicate with her Pokemon. These people use aura as life itself. It is part of their lifestyle, their culture, and their heritage. Aura bonding would allow one to talk to their Pokemon eventually.

Kyo is currently watching it firsthand. It would be nice to talk to Totodile as Kyo pondered the bond phenomenon, although something does prick at his curiosity at this moment.

What is Aura anyway in this world? Some..aura bending? This just gets weirder and weirder. Must be some mashup with the Avatar series or something similar along the way. Food for thought, something to ponder for a while.

Meanwhile somewhere else near the vicinity.

Kazuki went with Master Natto to meet with his family. A woman dressed in purple and black with a haunter by her side greeted her son with a warm hug. The haunter floats maliciously scanning the surrounding area, scouting and seems to be on the lookout. She looks almost exactly like Kazuki, except for the colour of their eyes. His mother sported the traditional Aishonian dark hair and dark eyes. Kazuki’s eyes were dark purple instead.

“Hello son, how is your training?”

Kazuki bowed and replied “I’m fine mother.Training is good”

Master Natto by his side, nodded politely.

“ Hello there Shizuka. A pleasant surprise, no doubt?”

The woman simply smiled and bowed gracefully. “Shizuka Matsuba of clan Matsuba greeted master Natto of clan Hagane, thank you for bringing my boy back home today”

Kazuki could only sigh and said,

“Where’s dad? “

Her mother gave her son raised eyebrows and said, “The usual place, at the ruins underground, still looking for that illustrious Matsuba family treasure.”

Kazuki could only growl again at his father’s antics.

“ He will be the death of our clan, mark my words... One of these days he’s going to unleash some sort of curse looking through imaginary treasure in that haunted place”

Master Natto could only grumble and ask, “Is Mortimer still doing that? People from King Arthur’s region are certainly unique, aren’t they? “

Kazuki’s mother could only smile and say, “The man grew up in Glimwood Tangle, a cemetery forest in the forbidden region of Camelot. King Arthur ostracized him away from his court, but the death curse and decay don’t seem to perturb my husband. He’s used to it, not since he underwent tutelage under the esteemed great Morgana Le fey, the King’s mother.” 

Kazuki could only growl, “Oh well, “

He looked towards his mother and took a deep breath.

“I’m back Mother, I shall be ready to resume our clan training at least for a few days. Master Natto agreed that my training in the Clan arts is..not sufficient.”

His mother nodded and Master Natto left before saying, “Learn well from your mother, Kazuki. Once you have enough control, you can comeback here. I’ll be back at the Hagane shrine. The Shimizu clan heir will be training under my daughter, Sudo, for a while. See you later Kazuki boy”

Master Natto then turned around frowning towards the both of them and said “Please dont kill my disciple Shizuka” and simply left again.

Kazuki’s mother smiles coyly at what the old master just said. " Funny old coot... I do hope his lessons have helped you master your aura control these past few months."

Kazuki nodded. " Yeah, aura cooking definitely helps a lot, but I’m lacking in the traditional sense when it comes to controlling the weight and hue of an aura. “

A shadow appears from his shadow, a Basculegion and a honeedge appear floating beside him basking in a black purplish aura, the aura of death malice and the personification of rot.

Basculegion, a water ghost-type Pokemon, and honeedge... A steel ghost-type Pokemon. Kazuki is a ghost specialist, a Kenshi who serves the Shimizu clan as a lesser lord. 

“I haven’t slacked in my ghost training mother...It’s just…wasn’t enough.”

Her mother simply smiled and said," We shall see.. .won’t we? Come soon. Perhaps your father’s trinkets and experiements might expediate your training with all sorts of Cursed items he obtained in Camelot“

A dangerous glint comes quickly as it disappears almost instantly, which plunges Kazuki into deep fear.

“Do I need to? Can’t we just do it safely? I don’t wanna die before I turned nineteen. What about my fiance?”

“Death is just the beginning son... Come, your training awaits. Your Fiance wouldn’t want a wimp as a future husband” 

“Sigh…fine”

 

 

 

1