Ch. 69 – Nice
1.8k 9 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Well, the worm passed us, so we were safe again. We left the little hole in the wall and continued again in the direction opposite of the one the worm went in. This time things were a bit different… not. It was exactly like the first time, long useless march, ended with a short break and then with the worm passing right next to us.

I was seriously becoming suspicious of this floor. I looked at every nook and cranny, but there were so signs of the usual illusion blur, so it either was a very high leveled one, or there was a trick to this stage. It was either that, or it was just a coincidence that similar events happened in a short period of time.

Okay, let’s go with a coincidence, marching again. Again.. Again… AGAIN! What the hell is wrong with this floor!? I can’t progress, I can’t destroy it, I can’t even guess what is happening to us. I feel like becoming insane isn’t far from the most realistic scenario. Wait, how do I know I’m not already insane?

[“Hey, am I insane?”]

[“No idea, I’m hungry.”]

What a useless cat. I chucked some meat to her from my shadow storage and stuck my head out of the hole to survey the situation. Empty as always, no worms in sight. I got out and started pondering on what to do. I already tried going in the same direction a couple of times, but I’m afraid of going the other way since the worms went there.

But maybe it was worth checking? These worms had to go somewhere, so even if there was their lair on the end of the road, it still would be something different to a plain tunnel. Even if that was the case, I was still hesitating, the scale of grossness displayed by these things was just out of my league.

[“Can we go the right direction already? I’m tired”]

Did that catgirl just say that we were going in the wrong direction the whole time? Did she seriously do that just now, when I nearly broke?

[“Couldn’t you say earlier, that we were going in a bad direction?”]

[“I thought that you wanted some exercise.”]

Let’s pretend that never happened.

Okay, so now we will go in the same direction that the worm left, and our human food supplies will stop decreasing for some time, until I forgive Felicia to some extent. I’m sure she will become a bit healthier this way, if only there is a level of health beyond her current one. Honestly I’ve never seen someone with more energy than her.

Okay, now that I knew in which direction I should go, there should be no problem with unending caves anymore. We set out with a slightly faster pace than before, to reach whatever was on the end of this tunnel in the shortest time possible, to finally get out of this madness, and surely enough after about an hour, we succeeded.

At finding another madness.

It’s always a forked road, how could we have it any other way. One leads to the target, one leads to doom, now all you have to do is choose. Well, I’m not sure if that’s how this particular fork works, but it sure sounds cool. Okay, left we go.

Why left? No idea, I just felt like it. We sped up again, since I was starting to get tired of this cave, with nothing but rocks around and nearly no sound. It took an hour again, and, to nobody’s surprise, we ended up at a fork again. Who could’ve guessed that…

Left again.

Fork again.

Let’s go right.

Fork again.

Maybe left again?

Fork again…

Maybe a bit of rope would be the answer? The ceiling mounted one? I feel like it surely would help things a lot. I even started making one, only to realize that I didn’t really have a neck to tie it to, which made me even more disheartened.

[“Hey Felicia, do you know which way should we go?”]

In the act of desperation I asked her. It seriously hurt my pride, to ask a kid that I was supposed to take care of about the way, but this was seriously my last idea. There was nothing else I could think of that could make the situation even a bit better, if that didn’t work I would really go insane.

[“Not any of these.”]

Oh, that’s helpful. So there’s a forked road with two wrong choices, how nice of the dungeon master to prepare a thing like that. Forget it, we’re returning to the starting point, I will make the hole in the floor again and we’re going back to the dragon’s place, and then we’ll probably leave this dungeon.

I’m so done with this floor, I’ll ask the dragon to hit the dungeon master in the face in my place.

Wait a second, we went back exactly the same way we came, but for some reason the road changed. Only after about ten minutes, we landed in slightly wider corridor that was unfortunately a dead end. Great, not we didn’t even have a way back. My void magic would probably be able to make a new tunnel for us, but now I could only use that unstable explosion, that would kill us if we didn’t escape far enough, so continuous use was out of question.

I turned back to return to the fork again, but when I looked in the direction we came from, there was only a plain wall. I surveyed the whole room, but there was no exit at all, we were trapped. Hey, do spiders cry? Because I really want to, I want to bury my face in a pillow an cry my eyes out.

38