2-13: Confession
152 3 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hayli

The next day at breakfast, while Caela was making a sandwich out of her pancakes and Terra was trying to eat with her niece in her lap telling her some story and Ulther was eating dirt (Terra has told me that's just something he does. I am worried about Terra if that's her family.) I was being forced to stay and eat instead of going back to bed. I hadn't slept well after the bath. I don't think Terra did either, but she was showing it a lot less. (We didn't do anything like that, just... look you take a bath with someone you like and see how normal you feel.) 

"So, Terra. Do you have any plans?"

"Not really." 

"Well, you could show Hayli around Nathers' Estate."

"Why?"

"Seems like a good spot for a date. Also, Ulther would appreciate having you around to complain to during his breaks. He has missed you and Vern."

"You won't let me complain to you."

"Because you'd never stop, dear."

I raised my hand, "Am I allowed into her estate?"

"The bans are only for Demons, because of a certain attack some made on us." She looked over at Terra who whistled innocently. My quarter demon ass wanted to join her in that completely unsuspicious act. 

"Then I would be glad to spend time with my beloved there."

"Great. Caela, how are you with kids?"

"No clue."

"Well, I suppose you'll be learning." 

Terra turned to Ulther, "Right, if people ask Hayli is named Faiche and Caela is Seirei."

"I'm not daft, Terra. I know they're both Candidates."

"And please refer to me as your cousin."

"Fine. Hurry up and finish. We need to be going soon."

We finished our breakfasts, quickly munching down eggs and bacon and other breakfast-y items before standing up and following Ulther out the door.

As we walked Terra engaged her big brother in conversation.

"So, how have things been here?"

"Pretty normal. The duchess was worried when your deadname came up on the letter, but I think she must have a low opinion of you because she got over it quickly."

"I really hate Nathers."

"Oh, come now. You never did help that impression."

"She kicked me out of her mansion when we first met. Which I am convinced allowed Vern to get into a fight with Fredericka."

"No, you during that time would probably have just encouraged him."

Terra laughed, "Yeah. I guess that might have been the case."

"Speaking of Nathers. perhaps don't mention Otterburgh or the Tournament if you do see her."

"Why does she hate it?" I ask.

"Well, besides think it's immoral and dangerous, she suspects the backers of it have a target on her head now for her lack of support for their enterprise."

"Really? Asssination over that boring thing?" Terra asked.

"I mean the main bank roller did serve a, what did my father call it? Right, a Remnant."

"Why would that thing care?"

I shrugged, "I don't know. You think the tournament might go under?"

"No clue. Why, you want to go back?"

"Not really."

Ulther yelled for a carriage and sat opposite us, judging me, as we rode. I could tell he was being protective of Terra, but still he was very imposing. I clung a little closer to my girlfriend who was desperately trying to stay staring out the window and not at me. It was a surprisingly long ride to the Mansion, as we passed by farmer's fields that apparently were directly under the employ of the duchess and were not the ones her townspeople farmed and ate from. Add in the woods she had, and one might fit a few towns in the land she wasted. Maybe I had gotten used to large cities, but it seemed like a lot of space that could be put to better use. That said, the woods were still very pretty even after all this time. (My father had brought me to the area one time when I was younger, not near any humans, to show me how fresh water was with my magic since Hill Valley had only salt water near it. I wonder if Terra had been here then? I really hope not, that would be embarrassing.) Soon we arrived, Ulther jumping out of the carriage to a bunch of saluting guards. 

"At ease. Terra, Faiche."

We slid out, and awkwardly stood holding hands, fingers dancing nervously as we both had very awkward smiles on our face.

"These are my cousin Terra and her girlfriend Faiche. Ignore them unless they try to get into a restricted area or somewhere unsafe. Terra is in the mold of my siblings."

"Aye-aye, sir." They saluted.

"Good, same positions as always. Terra, Faiche. We recently cleared off the walking trail, so for the first time ever, I am suggesting you take a walk in the woods."

"You're the one that said it was a good idea when we met Olli." Terra replied.

"Point taken. I will see you at my lunch break. And no forging your own trail, Terra." Ulther walked off towards the mansion.

Terra turned to me and smiled, "Well, if we stay on the path, we should be fine."

"I am not going to ask." 

Terra skipped ahead, making her way to a very unnatural looking break in the tree line. I ran to catch up. There was a path, yes but it was mostly marked by the rare pieces of gravel that's whiteness outshone the sticks and dead leaves that blanketed its brethren. I really wanted to know what an uncleared path looked like if this was a cleared one.

Terra was walking slower than usual, looking around a bit more than usual. She was also silent, keeping her mouth shut. It made it easy to hear the little chirps of birds, the squeaks of squirrels, the crunch of dead leaves as deer moved about doing whatever deer do. There was a sickly-sweet smell from the trees, one that was almost buried by the smell of actual bullshit that the wind brought from the farms upwind.

I guess it was a romantic thing to be on, a walk in the woods with a girl who I, yes, thought was a cutie and would date. But Terra had an air of... unease that made it not even feel close to that. It wasn't like I was worried about her or anything, nor did I think my own sadness at that made sense. I mean I barely knew her, and yet my heart hurt when she wasn't smiling. That... no, no. Too soon for that, no way was that the reason.

"Hey. Hay. I'm going off the path." Terra said head slightly downturned. "I mean we're going off the path, I guess."

"Oh, okay. But didn't Ulther say to not to do that?"

"I... I just want to go relax somewhere."

"Well, I don't care if you don't." I smiled at her.

A small smile of her own crept onto Terra's face. "Then follow me I guess."

Terra turned a hard left, going into the trees. I followed behind, making my way carefully over roots and fallen branches and other wood things while watching Terra walking like she was in a field. It was kind of impressive. Terra's self-made path was not one that took long as she soon led us into... a clearing. 

A regular clearing with a small lake that slightly bubbled in the area around a small waterfall. I was actually worried she was going to lead me to another catacomb for some reason.

Terra walked forward and sat down on the shore. I moved forward and sat next to her. She stared at the lake for a while, breathing in and out in a rhythm. Then she began to talk again.

"You know after my parents died, and I thought Avery was dead, and I moved here, this was the first place I walked to. After I was kicked out for being dirty by the duchess that is. It's weird though. When I found my way over here, I saw a demon and their child standing in the waters. Making shapes out of water, rings, bulbs, even a copy the demon themselves. I don't know why but I couldn't look away from the kid. I thought it was because I was just nervous about finding another kid bathing in the woods, or maybe I just felt too afraid to try and make a friend after what happened with my last best friend, but I think it was the same thing I felt when I met Quaza. A feeling that I shouldn't run away despite that being what was natural. I mean, a demon, probably two in front of me after what I just had happen to me, what I just caused to happen to me? Shouldn't I have ran? Screamed? Attacked them in a rage? But I didn't. And I didn't think about it for years. Then I saw a beautiful water dragon use her magic on the boat to the Hero Island and it came back into my head- well to be fair just the mention of water magic did that. But that wasn't enough to get me thinking. That took being attacked by Swyr in the mountains, that magic of his. Those horns. And I realized it. I mean, what a coincidence, right? Meeting you and your father back then. Maybe I thought that meant something. Not bad, but like destiny types of things. And yet again and again, things have happened to make me doubt that. I mean it's like the world wants us to be apart, like some cruel deities are forcing me down a path that they want, but I don't. Azrael, then there was you losing your memories when your father removed the control, then whatever spell he cast after that, and then the fucking catacombs where I was pretty sure he did what he wouldn't do in the north and killed me. It just felt like I should give up. But then, we lived and now I'm fake dating you despite the fact I actually was your g- Ugh, sorry, this is just some meaningless rant to you." She hugged her knees and looked down at her feet. Then her face changed to one of confidence, "Okay. Well, I mean. Yeah."

"Terra? What are you-" I began to ask when Terra turned to me, eyes gleaming.

"Hayli, I'm going to do something. Uh, slap me immediately if you don't want me to. I know you're doing the method thingy but still..."

Terra moved closer to me, moving her head towards mine. I moved towards her in kind, slowly inching towards what I knew was coming. Soon our lips were less than an inch apart. I could feel her breathing, hear her heartbeat. She hesitated while looking at me. I gave the slightest nod, and then she pressed her lips to mine. Just a quick peck. A nervous little kiss that Terra seemed to abort before it began.

Terra began to stammer out something about being sorry when I, for some reason, grabbed her and kissed her, for real. I kept it going until she started to reciprocate, and then I lost track of time and space. Eventually, that ended, and we separated, faces redder than ever before. We stared at each other for a while before I could muster words to fall past my lips:

"So... from that rant earlier, I guess my father did something to you, huh?" I smiled at her.

"Eh heh. Um, yeah."

"Destiny though? I like that." 

"Ughhhh." Terra hid her face in her hands. "Can you just forget that whole thing."

"Even the kiss? My first kiss."

"I guess that was your first, right."

"Oh, it wasn't yours? Then who was yours?"

"With you."

"Oh, good. I mean it'd be fine if wasn't then but it's more memorable if it's both of ours."

Terra laughed a little, "So... weird question. How real was that kiss?"

"I mean I kissed you for quite a long time there. You tell me if that was acting." I replied fluttering my lashes at her. 

Terra shrugged, "Please just tell me if you actually like me, like actually want to date me for real. Because I am very dense."

Oh. I mean, yes. Yes. But seriously, I thought my fantasies were rushed, but Terra kissed me and asked that? I mean, I wasn't going to get a chance to have a cute girlfriend like this. One that made me feel... the way she had since the catacombs. So, instead of saying anything, I grabbed her cheeks and kissed her once more. "That enough of an answer. Terr-Terr?"

She smiled- no beamed and nodded as she held back tears of joy. "Yeah. Yeah."

I leaned on her and sighed. Well, at least I got something out of this mission myself. I was going to rub getting a girlfriend in everyone's face when we got back to the capital, especially Quaza. I really hoped she would give us our own bed. Another time Hayli. For now, why not just enjoy this little respite alone with your now actual and real girlfriend. I pulled Terra down onto the grass and wrapped my tail around her and closed my eyes, feeling happier than I think I ever had. Terra pulled me closer and placed her head on top of mine. Soon enough, both of us slipped into the sea of dreams.

I just realized it’s been since Chapter 1-36 that Hayli and Terra have kissed. That’s over a third of the chapters in this. Hell, my girls haven’t even been a couple now for half the chapters after Azrael and Swyr’s meddling. Well, good thing that’s over. (It is over, I want my babies to be happy.)

5