2-17: Arrival and Misunderstanding
164 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hayli

Terra was dead asleep, her cute little head nestled in my lap as the carriage rode along. Caela sat across from us trying desperately to avoid eating the snack she had made for herself this early into the long ride to the capital. I had already eaten mine as I had no self-control. And for extra measure some of Terra’s as well. She was asleep so I assumed she wouldn’t mind that much. We had departed from Terra’s brother’s wife’s place a half hour ago, grabbing a carriage driver that was either brave or foolish enough to be fine going across the border and all the way up to the demon’s biggest city. With some amount of extra pay going their way, of course. I rustled my girlfriend's hair absentmindedly watching as the human lands went by, the trees blurring at the speed the carriage was moving at. I'd be more worried if Terra wasn't on me. Focusing on her kept me calm and not afraid that something would happen. Maybe it was the train explosion still on my mind but the faster the vehicle the worse off I felt. Caela seemed to not mind as much, not having the pale face I was sure I was sporting at the moment. If anything, her face was quite colorful as she looked at me, eyes blinking a bit less often than usual.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"No, where's my cute girl to lay her head in my lap?" She gave a little pout.

I laughed, "Oh, you're just jealous."

"No, I'm not. I just think a cute girl's head in my lap would be comfortable."

"It really isn't. It's calming sure, but comfortable? A head is heavy, Caela."

"Not that heavy, Hayli."

"You wouldn't be saying that if she was in your lap."

"I can't know that, now, can I?"

"What you want me to toss my girlfriend into your lap?"

"No. I'd feel too bad to enjoy it."

"Then eat the snack you prepared already and stop staring at me. It's embarrassing."

Caela grumbled opening up her package and nibbling on some meat. "Fine." She ate for a minute before asking, "And exactly how are we explaining what happened to the queen?"

"Well, my father's ex machina moment probably helps with Terra, but I'm not sure they'll take hearsay that the rune item was devoured by an Ancient's Ancient."

"I don't believe it."

"Well, there wasn't really any magical anomalies in Otterburgh besides that thing."

"And Terra."

"Yes, and we're taking Terra back."

"Speaking of Terra, how are you going to explain dating her to your dad?"

I blinked, wincing a little, "Well... that's going to be easy, assuming he doesn't hate Terra for other reasons. If he finds out we've kissed and... engaged in things that the deites themselves declare us to save for the eternal union already- he might be mad at us for going fast."

"Oh. So, like for religious reasons or what?"

"No, he's just a real slow burn believer, you know? Like I doubt he'll care we did it more than how fast we're going. He's weird in that way. I mean it took four years for him to even kiss my mom after they confessed to each other."

"Yeah, how did the last Demon Lord become your father?"

"He really never told me much. They knew each other before hand- his family was a patron of the arts and actually respected by humans since well they were half humon which made them closer to humans than most demons in their eyes. I think I was born from a celebration after the treaty was signed- since a few weeks after that to all but my mother and I and the ruling family he disappeared. I think most assumed he was killed. I know the Humans did."

"I see. Kind of seems like he could have raised you and been the Demon Lord."

"No. Father never did seem to vibe much with the title. I don't think he enjoyed what people expected him to do. I mean he really doesn't care for humans all that much, but unprovoked violence was never his thing. Even the little skirmishes that might have been a war were mostly in response to Heroes' attacks."

"Did he ever tell you what the stipulations on his title were?"

I shook my head, "Nope. Never really asked either."

Caela yawned, "By the way, you find it odd that Terra and Earth are really similar names? Like even the Kind of weird that two relatives would be named the same thing basically."

"Cae, you dunce. You absolute dunderhead. Don't you dare deadname my girlfriend."

"No. Terra is not Earth. I've met Earth. At the demon... capitol." She stopped trying to figure something out. "Well. I didn't know it was her- him- them, until Quaza told me, but they used a fake name and was dressed as... a girl and that made me realize who I was, and her name was... Terra. Oh. fuck me. Terra is Earth. Wait. How did you know that?"

"I listen to my girlfriend first off." I scoffed at her.

"When did she drink a potion? I mean she was a Shield, right?"

"That's the thing. My memories are weird like yours I'm guessing. But she says she has a diary and some of it is back at the castle."

"She's been in the castle? For a second time?"

"According to her? Yes."

"And she's letting you read her diary?"

"Well, I'm letting her read mine in exchange."

"You two really trust each other a lot for having only dated for less than a week."

"I mean I've known you for what? Two months and I already think you're in the running for my best- non-Sairah- friend."

"Aw, thanks. Sairah is...?"

"My Shield. Bear Humon. Really helped protect me when I was coming out from the few bullies who cared about that thing in my hometown."

"Oh. Got you." She folded a handkerchief around the rest of her meat and placed it back in her bag before leaning across the bench seat. "You think the Heroes are done up North yet?"

"I'd think so."

"How long before we have to deal with them?"

"Hopefully not for a long while." I reply, closing my eyes and falling asleep shortly after.

We stopped at a local inn just across the border, paying for three rooms. One for us or myself and Terra, one for Caela and one for the driver. Terra groggily followed me to our room and fell onto the bed face first.

"Why did you let me sleep the whole day?"

"You looked so cute and peaceful."

"Yeah, but no I'll be up all night."

"Not really my problem, babe. You joining me in the shower?" 

She nodded, making the way into the small 'bathroom' where the toilet was about five inches from the shower which barely squeezed us both into with just enough room to maneuver to wash ourselves. I was helping lather up Terra's hair when I asked:

"So, where exactly is the part of your diary in the castle?"

"Quaza's room. Hidden, obviously."

"You've been in Quaza's room?"

"Yes. Jealous?"

"Of course not. I know you love me too much."

Terra giggled, tilting her head back into the stream of water, "Guilty. "

I lathered my own hair and pushed her out of the stream. She scoffed and glomped onto my back, her bare breasts pressing against me. She grabbed my own and started to massage them. I felt my face grow red and my lower regions grow harder. "T-Terra." I glanced down.

Terra smiled mischievously and went to her knees and to work as I finished the rest of my shower and finished down her throat, Terra swallowing everything I gave her. She swallowed and kissed me. 

After she was finished in the shower and made it over into bed, kissing a bit but then lying down and just staring at each other- neither of us in the mood to do anything further after the shower. I mean just staring at Terra's face was enough to satisfy me now. 

The next morning, we continued on with Terra awake this time. She was scrunched up in a corner eyeing me as she wrote in her 'diary'. I tried to look a few times, but she just clutched it closer to her chest and growled at me. She really didn't want me reading it until we got to the capitol, I guess. Well, fine. Be that way. Besides, reading out of order would be rude. 

"Hey. Terra. Aren't you nervous about being in the Demon Kingdom?"

"Why would I be?"

"I mean, prophecy cycle and you're a human."

"Unless my girlfriend's pop decides to try and kill me again, I have no worries."

"I'm sure he'll love you." I smiled at Terra who just gave me a look that said she doubted that. "Caela, Nox walks around fine and she's human."

"Nox is big and buff though."

"And my Terra isn't buff."

"No." Replied Caela.

"No." Replied Terra.

"Only compared to you." Said Caela.

"That's not saying much." Added Terra.

"Don't need muscles when my gock is as tall as a wine bottle."

Caela rolled her eyes, "Sure it is."

"Moving on, what do you want to when we get there first, Terra?"

Terra yawned and seemed to think for a moment. An expression of annoyance flashed across it for a moment and then she replied, "Well, depends on if the princess is home, no?"

"Oh, right. You'd need to report into her. Ugh. I hope she isn't."

Caela nodded, "I suspect we're arriving back sooner than them."

"Is that an indication of our abilities?" I asked.

"I'd say it's more our luck."

"I'd say my luck is good." I said hugging Terra.

"Maybe her negative luck canceled out our negative luck."

Terra sighed, "That's not how math works."

Caela and Terra continued arguing as I moved towards the window, watching as we rode through a small town. It was probably around the size of Terra's hometown. I could see horned figures moving here and there, living their lives like there wasn't... whatever the humans were doing a country over. I really wanted to figure out everything soon- it was hard to stop things while fumbling around in the dark like this.

Whatever. I'd think more of that after enjoying this honeymoon period with Terra. 

 

Terra

Hayli helped me out as we arrived at the city gates. It had been what? Nearly a month since I had been here last, and the only real difference I could see was some extra guards up on the wall. Guess the crown princess being turned into a servant and also being nearly killed in a terrorist attack wasn't that much of an issue to the Queen. I was grabbing a bag from the carriage while the others went ahead to report in. They told me to not mind the guards. I said I'd be fine and shooed them away. Ahead I could hear a guard speaking to them. 

"Welcome back. Lady Salvear, Lady Summer. Welcome back. Go on ahead."

"All good?" The driver asked.

"Yep." 

"Well, farewell. I don't care to stay this deep in their territory, you know?"

I nodded and watched as the carriage turned around and rode off into the distance. I fixed my bag on my shoulders and made my way to the guard station. As I approached the guard on duty pointed his pike towards me.

"Halt, human. State your business or turn around, turn tail."

"I am here on invitation of Lady Salvear and Lady Summer."

"Sure. And what is that invitation for, exactly?"

"For?"

"Yes, what is it for?"

"Does an invitation need to be for something?"

"What is your name, human."

"Terra."

The guard motioned to another and whispered something. The second nodded and ran off. "Now once more, why are you here?"

"Because my girlfriend invited me here."

"Sure. Sure. I'd suggest you turn tail." He pointed his pike at me, thrusting it just a little to threaten me.

I sighed, "How about you go and ask Hayli, because I'd rather not deal with this type of bullshit right now."

"Very well. Do not say I gave you no other option. Terra, human, you are under arrest."

"Did I not just fucking say I didn't want to deal with this bullshit?"

From behind the guard about ten more came out, all armed and all pointing at me. "Are you going to resist?"

"Resist what? You can't just say you're going to arrest someone and not give a reason."

"I don't need to tell a trespassing human why." The first guard said.

"Actually, I think that we do."

"No, I do not, Basil."

This was so annoying.

"But it's the rules."

"Not for a human. Not for one named by our other guest."

"Are you fuckers done or, do you want to make this harder than it should be?"

The first guard motioned, and they surrounded me, quickly. We stared at each other, like duelists waiting for the first flinch to strike. From behind one charged me. I side stepped and tripped them grabbing their pike and shaking my head. Two more charged from my side. I waited until their pikes were half a foot from me and lifted my own pike like it was bar for lifting, knocking their pikes out of their hands. I walked over and stomped on both, cracking them in the middle.

"Are you done?"

"Harming a guard? I think that is grounds for using magic, right Basil."

"I mean, we initiated but sure."

The first guard waved the others off. "Please note I tried to not harm the human, but she resisted."

"You really should just stick to the pikes."

"Scared now, are you?" 

"Basil, please not I tried to warn this asshole, but he wouldn't listen."

The first guard snapped his finger a bolt of lightning shooting out. I held out my hand, coated in DS and caught it.

"How'd that feel human?"

"How'd what feel?"

"Hmm, was that not strong enough? How about th-" He began. I released the lightning I had stored at him, sending him flying backwards. 

"Harvey! Everyone careful. The Human has Lightning Magic. Norman! You have Earth magic, right?"

"Mud, Sir."

"Use it to capture the human. Vale, Ban, take Harvey and Lester to the infirmary."

"Aye, sir."

"You're in a lot of trouble now human. Norman!"

The guard named reached down and placed a hand into a patch of dirt. It turned wet and launched at me. I once again used a DS coated palm to capture it. Norman seemed a bit shocked looking over at the guard he called sir. 

"Keep going."

Norman shot seven more big balls of mud at me that I absorbed once more. I felt a strain as I held them in. "Are we done here?"

"Did you miss Norman?"

"I don't know sir."

"Fine, I'll just burn her down." The one addressed as Sir pushed Norman out of the way. A large ball of flame shot at me, a bright orange ball of heat. It moved towards me at good speed. I of course just sent out all the mud inside the DS, covering the rest of the guards in the wet dirt. It hardened fast thanks to the heat from the Sir's fire ball. I fixed my bag on my shoulders and started to walk past them when thirty more guards came out with more pikes and swords and axes. 

Great. I wasn't sure I could resist arrest this time around. Eh, might as well try, right?

 

Hayli

"I take it from your lack of waving around a stick or what not, you did not find or retrieve a rune item."

"No, your highness. We believe the item, if it existed was destroyed before we arrived."

"I see. If that is your opinion, it is all I can go on. Anything else to report?"

"Depends. Is your daughter back?"

"No. She's still doing her duty. Now what is it you needed to report?"

"Oh! Um, I may have brought back something else."

"A gift? Food?"

"A g-" I began as guards rushed in. "Your highness, the guards have arrested a human who tried to enter the capitol with no reason. The human also um, twenty-seven of our guards before we could arrest her. She was the one the other human named."

"I see. I will go and interrogate her myself."

"Pfft, what idiot wouldn't just walk past the guards?" Caela asked.

"Well, farewell for now."

"Actually, I the warden suggested Lady Summer and Lady Salvear come as well."

"How odd. Well, come along with me for now. Malo. Dear. I fear I do not feel like walking."

The spatial mage sighed and snapped her fingers. We found ourselves in front of a very surprised jailor who quickly stood at attention. 

"Your Highness! Welcome."

"Where is the new human?"

"She is finishing intake."

"Very well. I shall wait with our previous guest."

"Of course. She is still being uncooperative still; I must warn you."

"She will talk regardless, warden." 

We followed the queen and warden down into a dimly lit jail, past cells of angry and despondent prisoners in equal measures. Honi held her head up high, not giving them a single glance as they banged their bars and yelled insults at her while the warden barked at them to settle down. We continued on to a door to and into a much more open area. 

"This is for our special guests. We find honey loosens lips faster than the lash." The queen clapped her hands, "Human! Are you ready to talk without lies?"

"I keep saying, I haven't lied." A voice said coming to the front of the cell next to us. A blonde human pressed her face up to the bars and looked at the queen. 

"And I keep telling you, despite your information being accurate, the fact you insist on lying about knowing someone who knows my daughter is why you are being held. Just say who gave you the information and why you were in the area that the criminal Azrael was in."

"I have. Multiple times. You listen worse than Leannan, if that is even possible." She glanced over at me, "Oh, did you bring an actual Magic Born?"

"I'm a humon."

"Uh, you're clearly not human."

"No, not human. Humon."

"I don't understand the difference."

"Can you tell me why you're in jail."

"I was warning the Queen her daughter was being mind-controlled along with her friends. In the middle of it, she got a glazed-over look in her eyes and asked me to repeat who I said told me to come. Then she acted like she didn't just let me into her throne room on her name and sent me to jail."

Caela scoffed, "I don't think her Highness is that old yet."

The blonde turned towards Caela. "You... Oh, Caela, right? You can vouch for me, you're the one who told the sisters and I about the mind-control, right?"

"I cannot remember much of that time, sorry."

"Ugh. Great." She slumped down.

"Just tell me who this, Terra is, and I'll let you-"

"Terra?" I asked.

"Yes?" The Queen looked at me quizzically. "Do you recognize that name?"

"My girlfriend."

"Your girlfriend?"

I turned to the Warden. "Is the other human you captured a dirty blonde? Seemed to use multiple magics?"

"Yes. How'd you know?"

"Did this human at any point say, 'my girlfriend invited me' or something like that."

"Um... Well, yes but- um."

"I believe you have my girlfriend Terra in custody for a misunderstanding."

The queen sighed, "I see you brought back something for yourself from the mission."

"Hey, she has a really powerful magic that could be helpful."

The queen sighed, "Fine. Warden let the Humans go."

"Plural?"

"Yes. They will stay in the castle under watch until I am sure they are not dangers. Hayli, please go and collect your girlfriend. Caela, you are the eyes on the other human."

"Where is she staying?"

"Well, I just hired a new maid so she can stay with her if you don't wish to room with just her."

"I like having my own room."

"Just her dear, I gave the maid your old room."

"I miss Quaza." Caela said despondent. She waved goodbye as I went to go and collect my idiot from the guards. I was going to need to keep a closer eye on her in the future.

Terra as soon as she saw me ran over from a bunch of mortified and exhausted looking guards and crushed me into a hug. "Hayli! Why'd you leave me?"

"Come on, let's go."

"Aren't you going to comfort me?" Terra teased.

"After you show me your diary. I've waited long enough." 

"Fine. Meanie."

I pulled her out of the jail and towards the castle, ready to finally read all of the secrets she had jotted down and how much she loved me and other things I could use against her- only in the name of love, of course. And I would let her read mine as well, of course- but it wasn't like I hid my feelings and thoughts from her at all.

7