1-7: Another Hero and Shield**
609 1 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We slept in cozy, cheap and local roadside inns for the next three nights, paid by the coins from the Duchess and discounted by the seal that announced Vern was a hero then arrived in the capital proper around noon on the Twin's Day. The capital city was huge, like a living being and all the other big city clichés. (Lazy, I know. I don’t like writing down exact details about nondescript blots in my mind. I mean I could say the roads were easy to get lost in and the division of both classes and architectural styles made the city seem like several put together, modernity building over history and other things but again, I lack the words and drive.)

“I guess I should go get us a hotel room. Probably in the entertainment district, just in case you get done before me.” I told my 'bother', sorry brother. I didn’t trust Vern to not cheap out. We were here on the purse of Nathers; we could afford to splurge a little.

“Okay, and I will go and seek an audience with the king to introduce myself before tomorrow’s blessing. Wish me luck.”

“With the audience or getting there?”

He laughed, “Both.”

We waved goodbye as we separated and departed into separate crowds. I found a nice-looking hotel in the nearby Entertainment District and booked two rooms across the hall from the other making sure one was slightly bigger than the other. I put my name down on that one just to spite Vern.

It was after sitting down in the lobby to rest that I realized I had no easy way of finding Vern because we had decided to forgo choosing a spot to meet up at after doing what we had set out to do. I also didn’t trust him to find his way back to the District I was in either. I barely trusted myself. (I’m sorry- Vern) (It was my fault.) I stood up, walked out and head towards the Government District or what I assumed was it.

Traversing the city took a good two hours, mostly since I had gotten myself lost multiple times. I had spent half an hour in the same neighborhood to the point a guard had to help point me in the right direction. Thankfully when I arrived in front of the palace Vern was waiting for me. 

“EARTH!” He yelled running over to me and hugging me. I could feel him squeeze hard, to get me to react but I just let everyone else stare at us instead. 

“Twins. Vern, you’re supposed to be the responsible one, as my big brother. You could at least get us a map before we go around this limestone jungle. You know how both of us are with directions- even outside of places with trees.” I said pushing him off. 

“I’m sorry. I got lucky and followed a dignitary up here. Pretty sure he thought I was stalking him however.”

“It's fine now, I guess. Anyways, did you get to see the king?”

“Yes. He also mentioned that some other Hero is in the city, staying with the High Mother herself. Wonder what they’ll be like. Maybe you'll make a friend, Earth.”

“Well, that’s nice, but I’m hungry so I can’t care.” I pointed to my mouth and mimed eating.

“Funny you should say that. The king suggested we eat at Lavon Du Chanki. He even gave us a decree to let us eat free.”

“So then, where is this LDC?”

“In the Entertainment District.”

“Oh. Good, that’s where our hotel happens to be if you remember.”

“Well then, let’s go.” He pulled my arm, and we began to rush towards the direction I had started from two hours before.

It took only one hour this time to get back since Vern had the amazing ability to not get lost as bad as me, at least when we were together and not in say the woods or a ruin, and we soon arrived at LDC. 

The old guy at the stand outside the front of the restaurant took one quick look at the paper Vern and I held out with gremlin grins on our faces and sighed, “Oh Xander, my child, why do you insist on letting people eat for free? You aren’t even elected; this isn’t helping you as much as you think.”

“Are you friends with the king?” Vern asked as we were led to an open table.

They continued some conversation about the old guy being the cook for the royals until his Highness King Xander had suggested he set up a restaurant to allow more people to taste his lovely cooking. I meanwhile took a look around the room.

The floors were marble covered by large, patterned rugs adorned with gold frills and the walls were made of red bricks adorned with lights and paintings of royals and other important figures. A mural of post-classical era angels, that is not horrific monstrosities, stared down from the ceiling along with expensive looking crystal chandeliers.

The place was full of well-dressed customers who stared at the two of us, still dressed in light armor until I jokingly held up the paper and a loud grumble was heard. Apparently, it was hard to get into Lavon Du Chanki. Made sense with the decor.

We were situated near the bar, slightly in front of the line that kept us out. My brother had only six months until he could sit in there, and I one year and six months until I could publicly drink alcohol. I wasn’t sure why there was a gap between those. To be honest though, Vern had been consuming for a while at dinners with Duchess Nathers.

“I think that I will take those frog legs for a starter. What about you Earth?”

I looked at the paper menu, the block printed letters were in a cursive font that while pretty was also pretty hard to read. “I’ll take some rice and peppers with uh… Gyraiza Sauce.”

“Okay then, sirs. I assume that the both of you will want waters?”

“I do” Replied Vern.

“I’ll have one with extra lemon.” I reply after considering it for a minute.

“Well then, your starters are ordered. Do either of you know what you want for your main meal?” The waitress asked.

Vern glanced at me, pointed at an item and I nodded. “Whole grilled chicken on a bed of Derea Lettuce”

“You’ll be sharing, yes?”

“Nah, I’m trying to get fat.” Joked Vern.

The waitress looked utterly unamused. “Funny. Ho hee har ha. Well, thanks for joining us today. Your starters will be out in twenty or so minutes.” The waitress bowed and wandered off towards the kitchen.

“So, Vern, what time do I need to wake you up in order for you to arrive in time to be blessed?”

“Ten in the morning, Alarm Brother.”

“Well then want to play a game or something?”

“Tic-Tac-Toe?”

“I have graphite, so sure. I hope they don’t mind us ruining their tablecloth.”

(They did. But besides that, I won seven out of twenty games. That’s a personal record for me.) (You shouldn’t be proud of this, it’s an easy game. - Vern.) 

I stuffed the rice and peppers into my mouth as Vern tried his frog legs. He soon found that they tasted as good as the ones Callie made and started to devour them like a wild animal.

The restaurant bustled as plates clattered, glasses chinked, and silverware scraped. The silverware was actual silver and not the metal ones we owned.

“Holy deities, this is damn good.” Vern stated scarfing down more frog legs.

“It’s pretty good, but let’s wait for our main course before deciding. And slow down.” I said worried about having to save him from choking again. He loved to choke on bones like it was his job.

“Oh, come on. You already cleared your plate.” He said annoyed.

“I have?” I looked down. “I have.”

(Time skip. Halfway through chicken since I am not comfortable writing down or actually feel like writing down the conversation that we had.) (Oh, come on it wasn’t that bad. Sure, it may have been mostly us insulting other patrons but… eh, now that I say that let’s not include it in case someone important was in the room with us. The chicken was perfect by the way- Vern) (Seconded.)

As we stuffed our faces with grilled chicken, I heard some voices coming from in the bar.

“Oi, Demonlings! Who the hell let your ugly asses in here?”

“Ey, Jasper, lay off. They ain’t as smart as us humans, ya know?”

Racist Assholes and alcohol. Great. I hoped this would get sorted out by the staff. I didn't really want to listen to them.

A voice, female and youthful with a musical quality that only increased the perceived youth spoke up, “Um, e-e-e-excuse me, but you’re- you’re being ru-rude.”

“Oh, scales spoke up. Look boys it’s a talking lizard.”

Another voice lower, older, and calm replied. It was honestly nice to listen to, like the sound of rain pounding on a roof as the crickets chirped at night. “You two and company are insulting a high priestess and her main disciple, not to mention one of the-”

The second man cut her off, “What city are ya allowed to be a priestess in, ya bear? The woods? Get it? Cause you’re a bear?” He laughed at his… I assume it was a joke but really, I think I could find more humor in a holy book.

“Where did you learn insults? A mirror, I’m guessing.”

“Shut up, you trash.” The first man retorted.

I turned towards them. A table of five soldiers in the bar drinking and heavily intoxicated, faces red and unable to stop swaying. A woman in robes with a large, well-built body and rough patches of brown fur on her arms, neck, and face. A bear humon, the closest humans had to demons in our species. Since many humons had joined a war on the demons’ side a few decades ago, there was a slight bit of gigantic racism against them. Of course, they had joined because of gigantic racism towards them in the first place. Also, plenty of humans had at times joined wars on the demon side for personal gain and no one cared about those.

“Ignore them. Don’t get involved. Those things aren’t worth it. No matter how much that younger one would be in your wheelhouse.” Vern said.

“Ignoring that joke and such, I’m going to help out because that is coming to blows and there is no way those guys are not going to fight dirty. So, lend a hand if I need you, okay mister legendary hero?”

“Why? Is there a point to getting involved? A hero need not save everyone who is in trouble, they’ll become too dependent. Besides, I’m tired and you can handle them, brother.”

“Look despite the fact one of them is huge, that battle looks like it will basically be five on one. I’m not going to let a priestess and a girl get killed.” I glared at my brother.

“Again, that’s your fight. You can help, but I could care less. Besides, there’s still some chicken left.” He picked up a leg and started gnawing away.

"You're a hero asshole." I complained.

"And you clearly just want to fight, cause you're bored. Don't blame me when you get no reward. Pass the salt please."

He loved being an asshole. He did this a lot, leaving me and when she was with us Fredericka to save people, unless he thought a girl was cute or Ulther was watching. He was doing a shit job of looking like a Hero unless he felt like it. I really hoped if I was hero, I wouldn’t be that way, but we are related so.

I continued observing the soon to be brawl. The younger girl was wearing a soft yellow sundress with little bows around her waist and a brooch choker around her neck, her blonde hair braided in a crown around her head. Patches of blue-green scales covered her body, face, arms and legs. Her skin was a sort of tan that made it hard to tell if it was her natural color or from the sun. A long snake-like scaled tail poked out from under her dress. She was incredibly beautiful, though that thought wasn't crossing my mind then, more worry that she might get killed. In front of her one of the soldiers was threating her with his short sword.

“P-put your s-s-sword away, or else you’ll regret it.” She said raising her tail. I tried not to look at that area. Seriously, didn’t dresses for humons come with holes for tails? 

“Oh, or else what ugly lizard who is ugly?” Said a white-haired soldier.

“Maybe she’ll hiss at us with that forked tongue of hers.” Replied a darker skinned soldier, trying to joke with his comrade. 

“I-I don’t even have a forked tongue.” 

The bear humon gave the soldiers a very rude gesture, “Sit you down you drunken brigands before you have to sit to get around.”

“Oh, really? How, you stocky shit covered beasty?” The white-haired soldier asked jumping at her sword drawn. She produced a steel staff from her side and blocked the attack with relative ease. The rest of the soldiers began producing swords and surrounded the humons.

The reptilian girl took a steak knife from the table and took what I assume was a supposed to be a defensive stance. The other patrons only stared at the scene. The old man who ran the restaurant was yelling for some soldiers to stop this fight before blood was spilt until her realized that the only soldiers at hand were the ones currently about to get in a fight.

“I’ll turn you into a new rug, you beasty.” Said the largest solider rapidly attacking the priestess as she effortlessly parried each blow.

I sighed watching as the scaled girl scrambled about trying to dodge her attackers and turned to my lazy hero brother, “Well, have fun being both a terrible hero and person.”

He rolled his eyes and scoffed. The little lizard lady was beginning to get tired, and the soldier were getting closer to hitting her. She’d be fine with only two soldiers but with four drunks attacking her, eventually she’d tire and fall.

A waiter seeing me tense up, and sword at my side ran over to me.

“Oh, thank the High Mother, someone brought a real weapon. Get in there and stop those drunken idiots.”

“That’s what I’m planning to do because somebody won’t help.” I glared at Vern who shrugged at me. I fucking hate him. 

The waiter stared, “Um. Great.”  and pushed me towards the brawl.

I stretched and caught the eye of the white-haired soldier who was chasing the lizard girl. He laughed, “Well, from the look of you boy, you aren’t gonna be lending us a hand. What are you an animal lover or something? Hoping to eat some bear or lizard out as a reward?”

I put my hand on my face and sighed, “First off that’s awful and a terrible joke. Secondly, you should give up now. You won’t be able to beat the bear even if you were sober.”

“Huh?! How so you twerp? You think she can take out the five of us alone?”

“No, I just know not to fuck with the young of wildlife.” I grin.

Behind him the bear and the largest soldier were fighting, though it was apparent that he was much weaker than her. He was drenched, while the priestess looked clean and pristine.

“Huh. Old Bill seems to be getting a good workout. Now. You gonna fight me or what?” He points his sword at me. I begin to respond but stop as a voice interrupts.

“Oy, Manfred, get over ‘ere and ‘elp us ‘ack t’is lizard.” Said a soldier from the three chasing the blonde girl. She had begun to throw stuff at the other three soldiers.

“Well, Hero, see ya later. I hope you won’t be too mad, Demon Lover” He started towards the girl. He however was forced to stop after being slammed in the back of the head with the broad side of my sword, then to be safe I cut his leg, careful to avoid the Achilles tendon. No point in it. Seriously, who turns their back on an opponent. I really hope Ulther hadn’t trained any of the soldier I was fighting, that would be embarrassing for everyone.

The large man seeing me do this disengaged from a visibly shocked priestess and charged at me, yelling “YOU HURT MANFRED YOU BASTARD!”

I side stepped him and slammed the hilt of my sword into the back of his leg. A loud snap was heard and then a thump. He had passed out from the shock. Deities, a broken leg was his limit? What kind of screening process does the capital have? Even I could last beyond that. Now I defined knew that Ulther wasn’t involved in their training. 

“I assume you’re helping us, kid?” The bear humon asked.

I shrugged and smiled nervously while checking if I had brought any light packets with me. Portable magic that activated automatically to produce a flash of light. The bear then proceeded to visit the other soldiers.

And by visit, I mean forced me to help fight them.

“Why are you defending those filthy animals?” The soldier asked swinging his sword wildly at me. Seriously did they even train these idiots at all? It isn't hard to fight drunk- not that I'd know myself. 

“Because you guys are in the wrong.” I reply parrying his wild blows. “I mean, you idiots start insulting members of the church, while the High Mother is in town, and then after your egos get damaged you attack them. Of course, I’ll defend them that is the right thing to do! Plus, you were making it hard to enjoy the meal.” I partly yell the last part at Vern who was picking his teeth with a chicken bone. He smiled and waved at me. Shitty, ponytailed, lazy hero.

“Fuck you.” He tried to thrust at my chest. I sighed and slashed him across his nose, sending blood into his eyes blinding him.

Behind me the bear had her opponent in a headlock, choking the dark-skinned soldier out. I slam the blinded soldier’s head into the concrete, hearing a crack. I probably just gave him serious brain damage. Not dead though, so I could still say I was following Ulther’s rules for fighting weaker opponents. A large pool of blood was forming. He still had the chance of dying from blood loss, I guess. Or infection. That would be as a consequence of my actions and not a direct effect, meaning I would still be good. I think. (I never checked on him, and I didn’t and don’t care to.)

I moved over and watched as the lizard girl broke plates in the face of the soldier who was trying to kill her. I lugged a light packet at his face and covered my eyes. The flash blinded him, allowing the girl the chance to slam her tail into his neck causing him to fall to his knees. The she slammed a tray over his head knocking him out cold. She tossed the dented and bloodied metal disc aside and ran over to the older girl. I was pretty sure the bear had just killed a guy. (Again, no reason to check on them. Not worth the time.)

The old man who ran the place, seeing that the ordeal was over ran over and apologized profusely to the both of them. After a few minutes the city order guards arrived and dragged the soldiers out of the LDC. During this I returned to my seat and glared at Vern. He offered me the last piece of chicken with a ‘good job. A bit too many causalities maybe.’. I grabbed it and scarfed it down.

A heavy furry hand tapped me and the shoulder. The bear humon was standing arm stretched down. I stood up and shook it. She towered a foot or so above me.

“Thank you for helping us out back there. My name is Sairah Heartfell, a priestess of the third order, and this lovely lady I’m accompanying is-”

“H-Hayli. My name’s Hayli. Um, nice to me-meet you.” The lizard girl stammered looking embarrassed. Sairah gave her a very concerning smile.

“I’m Earth Thornell.” Hayli seemed to look confused at that. I chalked it up to the whole first name being Earth.

“So, who is this, may I ask.” Sairah pointed at Vern.

Vern replied, “I am Vern Thornell. This guy’s older brother.”

“And a lazy jerk.” I add.

“Well, a pleasure to meet you.” Sairah smiled shaking Vern’s hand.

“So, what are two humons like you doing in town?  I would think going to a place where the chances of meeting a simple-minded idiot with twisted ideals would deter you.” Vern asked.

“You haven’t deterred them yet.” I respond. He flipped me off.

“Well, you see I am here for Hayli. She is here because of her destiny. The destiny of a Hero of the Chosen.”

Vern and I stared at each other in surprise. The ideal of them being the other Hero and Shield wasn’t why, but rather the fact that they would admit it so freely. Even Vern wasn’t that vain or bold. 

“O-oh, really. Eh, small world I guess.” I chuckle.

“Small world? How so?” Sairah asked.

“He means that it’s surprising that we should meet given our shared destinies in such a large city.” Vern responded.

Sairah looked confused. Hayli asked us in her steed, “W-what do you mean by that?”

“He means that he is a hero, and I would happen to be his Shield.” I explain. Seriously I hated how hard it was for him to just say things straight out sometimes. Callie had ruined him with the plays she had drug him to.

“Wait, so the shield is the one that saved us?” Sairah asked.

“I can’t help it. The food was too good. Besides, by letting Earth do it he grows.”

“You only refused to help out of sloth. As you always do.” I sigh.

“Well, thank you again, Earth… Huh?” Hayli leaned in closer to Sairah to whisper something to her. “I don’t think I could ask that without embarrassing- oh yeah, fine. Uh huh, got it. Hey, how old are the two of you?”

Vern made a sarcastically annoyed tsk sound, “Don’t you know it’s rude to ask a man his age, but if you are to know… I am twenty years old.”

“Eighteen since last month.” I reply.

Sairah smiled, “Oh, good. Well, I am two hundred and eighty-eight moon cycles and Hayli is two hundred and sixteen cycles old.”

“Oh. Huh. She’s the same age as me? I had both of you pegged for being younger than that. I mean than you said, I only thought Hayli was younger than me.” I say trying hard to save myself at the end.

“I’d have thought Sairah was in her thirties.” Vern says.

“So, are you two from the Western border? You look like it.” Sairah asks.

“Uh, yes, we are. How could you tell?” Responded and asked Vern.

“You look like it. Hair, eyes, facial structure. The accent is a bit gone but I can still hear it in the vowels. Plus, the last name being regionally common for there.” She answered. She had a proud look on her face. I’m guessing she didn’t get to use that knowledge that often.

I felt a poke in my side. Hayli was next to me. “Um, T-T-E-E Ahem, S-sir Earth, I would l-l-like to, um, thank you a bit b-better than j-just saying it.” I thought for a moment that she almost gagged at the Sir Earth part. I mean I'd gag to if I had to call myself Sir. Because it's a title and I don't want a title, of course. Not because I hate the way it sounds, the way it marks me as- moving on now.

Vern gave me a concerning smirk and mouthed something that I couldn’t understand because I can’t read lips. 

Sairah smiled. “Well, I guess we could invite him over to our room in the castle. I’ll even tell the guard on duty that it is fine to let you in.”

“Are you sure that’s fine?”

Sairah glanced at Hayli then turned back to me, “Trust me, Hayli couldn’t stand it if we didn’t do something for you helping us out.”

“I didn’t do that much honestly.”

“Well, you did enough to leave an impression on the young lady here. Honestly, she’s more nervous now than she was before. Usually takes a real cute girl to get her like this.”

“I guess I can come. Vern don’t go walking in the woods while I’m gone.”

“I won’t. Besides, I think it only happens with the both of us.”

I laugh and return to Sairah and Hayli, “So, when should I arrive?”

“In a few hours, no less than three, no more than eight. Um, and also the High Mother is with us. She can be odd with new people but pay it no mind. Unless she tries to bed you. Don’t let her. The pay isn’t worth the pain.” She glared at me as she said the last part.

I had heard rumors that High Mother Bianca had some odd tendencies, and hearing from a priestess rooming with her basically confirmed it. (Well, were you interested? - Vern) (I’m not you.)

“I guess I’ll see you then.”

Hayli and Sairah started off, Hayli turned back waving to me, “Y-you better show, La- Sir Earth.” 

“I will Lady Hayli.” I say as the two of them walk out the door. 

Vern chuckled beside me, “Sir Earth, Lady Hayli. PFFT.”

“What are you laughing about?”

“Oh, nothing. It’s just cute to see you not being a dick to someone our age.”

“Is it my fault my only friends are you and your stalker?”

“Just don’t get too nervous, you know how you do with earnest people. Especially ones that aren't human.” He said walking towards the door.

“Hey, what does that mean? What does that mean?”  I ask as he starts to run as I chase him to get the lazy ass to clarify his statement.

30