1-23: Free to Stay, Not to Go
223 1 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Terra!" Olli grabbed me into a hug. Her ram horns were way to close my face. I shoved her off me. She mocked offense at that. "Is that really how you greet an old friend?"

"Friend? You're a reason why my parents are dead. Why most of my childhood friends are dead. Why my sister is dead."

"Your fault as well. You killed the old guy."

"He fell."

She laughed, moonrise sky hair becoming unruly. "You know what our courts would say about that, if you even made it to one to say it."

"Why did you bother to heal me?"

"Well, mostly because she threatened to kill my team if we didn't but also because you're my friend, Terr-Terr."

"Again, not you- Wait... Terra? Terr-Terr? How do you know my name. No, in fact how do know I'm me?"

"That? Well, she told me. It's kind of cute that's what you went with. The main reason you're alive. I must apologize I was busy talking to her. It is quite fortunate though. Our plan always required a Hero and Shield to be kidnapped and replaced- and here both fell into our lap on a test run."

"What... hero?" I ask. There was only one answer.

A knock came at the door. It opened and Hayli walked in, now in a very modest dress. She looked like she had been crying. At the sight of me she ran and tackled me to the floor. Her blonde hair was held together by an oddly shaped crown. Her scales shined in the light and I could smell salt as she laid on top of me. "Terra! I was so scared. I thought you were dead. I went back and checked the ruins after Sairah and I got out and went down the other path and saw you bleeding out and then these demons came and took us here." She squeezed me tightly, pressing herself against me enough that her scales left an imprint in my skin. Her antenna like horns were visible and glowing. I hugged her back, utterly shocked to see her.

"Hayli? What? How are you here? How didn't that glowing horns demon kill you?"

"What demon?" She asked.

Olli scoffed, "Being humble? Well, whatever. Hayli, Terra. I have a request. Stay in this city until I am done with my plan. By then that spell on the island will activate and there will be nothing that you could do to stop it without causing issues with the heroes."

"And if we refuse?" I ask.

"If you refuse." She corrected me, "Hayli already agreed here with this plan."

I looked at Hayli, know sitting in my lap. She nodded. "Fine. Not like I could escape."

"Great! Don't worry. You can explore the city, after all 'Earth' is the one whose wanted. Just stay away from the castle."

"Why? Is Honi in town?"

Olli shook her head, "It's not off limits for safety but because some visitors are here and both of you would cause issues with either visitor in question. That said with Terra's luck, you'll likely meet both."

"Yeah, I'll stay away and try to be careful. Not like there's much else for me to do." I was pretty sure trying to escape wasn't a thing I could do at the moment.

Hayli nodded, "I... do not wish to see them, so I hope they stay in the castle. You are enough of a headache to deal with." Olli once again feigned offense.

"By the way, Le Dans Sons is a popular place to eat, if you want a place to eat. Discounts for couples as well. I would suggest you two find a place to stay." She tossed me a large bag of coins then skipped out of the room. An armored woman followed after her, stopping for a moment to turn her helm towards us and nod before continuing after her liege.

"Should we go now?" I ask.

Hayli shook her head. "Give me a second." She crawled on top of me stared into my eyes and then laid her head on my chest. "Let me just rest here a while."

I rest my head on hers and relax. This might be a weird situation I was in but having someone else here was comforting. We could deal with everything like a way to escape back to the island or just back to a place where we didn't have to rely on Olli for safety later. For now, I just wanted to lie here for a while.

(There was fire everywhere but the fire pit. Vern and I sat glancing at Ulther who had tried to set a fire.

"Oh twins, what did you two do?

"Really, trusting us to get fuel for a fire was stupid, Dumbther."

"Your parents are going to kill me."

"You mean your dad is going to kill you." I reply, smile across my face, to our half brother

"Fuck. Sorry, don't tell your mom I said that. Okay, your mom and A are already there and we are already late, so I'll just leave this mess burning and we'll keep moving."

We burned down an entire forest.

Vern, Ulther, and I continued forth until we reached Lord Donahue's domain. Inside he was having a party for the chosen Heroes and their retainers. After a surly guard went and confirmed our papers Vern went off to find our mom with Ulther, and I wandered over into the first room I found, dazing adorably at the grandiose excess around me. I was so busy that I completely didn't notice a girl standing behind a bust of the late Lady Donahue and bumped into her.

"Ouch." She deadpanned.

I look at her. Her shoulder length blonde hair was styled and held in place by an oddly shaped crown. Her face was covered in what I think my mom would call heavy foundation but had rather modest makeup around it. Perhaps she was covering up some scars. It was common for higher class people to cover little scars on their face, apparently. Avery had refused that, saying her cheek scar that was barely visible was a way to show how tough she was. The girl's eyes were green with pupils that I later realized never changed sizes. She had on a dress with long sleeves, long white gloves making sure no skin was shown below her face- even her neck covered by a tall collar. Her expression seemed to say she upset at my accidental bump.

"S-sorry." I stammered.

"You should be." She then smiled, "I'm Ilyah."

"Earth."

"If you say. So why are you here? Don't seem like a Shield."

I nod. "I'm not. I'm here because of my sister."

"Same. My cousin for me. I love her, but her and that shield of hers are too extroverted for me."

"Is that why you're in this room?"

"Oh no. I was outside talking to some dreadful looking bird faced demon in the stocks. They saw me and I ran in here to hide."

"You were standing in the middle of the room."

"And you still didn't see me."

I smile, "I guess I didn't."

She stretched. I stared at her, I was pretty sure we were the same age, but she was above me in height and presence. Her accent and general way of composing herself screamed at me that she was the type to be used to being among excess like this- even if she clearly didn't like it. "What's your view towards doing a bit of breaking the rules with me?"

"Sure." 

She smiled a little, "Okay then, follow me."

Ilyah guided me through the mansion's halls and rooms, stealthily avoiding drunken guards and exhausted maids along the way. We darted from shadowy corner to shadowy corner, every so often having to stay still and quiet as a drunken guest stumbled in looking for a restroom and a guard or maid would have to guide them away. We turned a corner and found some servants just loafing around in a hall. They looked at us, back at each other, shrugged and then looked back at us with a look that said, "you say nothing, we say nothing" and we made our way past them.

Down one more hallway and Ilyah announced, "Here we are."

A massive door rose before me, made of a cold dark steel. I could hear the muffled sounds of something behind it. A heavy lock chained the door shut, a bit above where I could reach. Ilyah told me to come over closer to the door, and I did, wondering why she had wanted to come to the door anyways. As soon as I reached the door, she in a quick motion hopped on my shoulders, pulled a key from somewhere and unlocked the lock before hopping off just as fluidly. I instinctively grabbed the falling chain with my weak child arms, just stopping it from clanging on the floor. As I was carefully laying it on the ground, she had already swung open the door and was walking past some prisoners with colorful language inside. I ran after her, the cacophony around me, the calls for favors and cursing and threats, making my little self near pants wetting scared. 

Up ahead there was another door, barred only by a large wooden plank. Once again, I was used as a ladder for my partner in crime. My shoulders hurt. The board hit the ground with a thump followed by a grunt from her. She opened the door and again I followed.

"Thanks." She said.

"Um, sure. No problem." I looked at the new area. The prisoners here were just as unruly, it was just they wouldn't fit in with ones from before.

"Huh. Most kids would be freaking out around demons, let alone demons in a jail." She eyed me suspiciously.

"Oh, border town." I replied looking at the demons in their cells. Humanoid, animalian and non-descript. Some looked how Olli did but with rougher skin, some looked like a dog with some extra bits, one that was drooling on itself even looked like a two eyed Pinja.

"So, um, why did you want to 'break the rules' to come back here?" I ask dodging a spitball from a bug eyed demoness.

"I heard they had a royal captured here."

"Um?"

"Well, not technically a royal since her mother's the next in line and she's only second in line."

"Isn't that still a royal?" I may have not been paying attention in government classes but even I knew that blue blood didn't stop flowing at the next in line for the throne.

"It works differently for demons, especially her family." She grabbed my sleeve and pulled me forward. There was a lull up ahead. The cells were empty, dusty and full of assorted bones. I felt a tingle up my spine and snapped my head forward, staring straight ahead to avoid looking at the death around me. Soon enough we stopped in front of a larger and lit up cell. A sleeping form laid on the bed inside it, hidden under a blanket.

Ilyah smiled and took a deep breath, "Wakey, wakey." She rattled the door to the cell. The form on the bed stretched and slid off and walked over to us, blanket still covering most of her.

"You the food guy?" She asked.

Ilyah grinned, "Yep. Sure is Quaza."

"Yay!" The demoness yawned, then turned to me- her red eyes locking on mine. She licked her lips and grabbed my arm and dragged me closer to her open mouth full of razor sharp teeth.)

(Vern swung his feet, sitting on the edge of the ledge as the water rushed below him. He turned, hearing me as I ran towards me. "You're late."

"Sorry, Olli was better at Wacheport than I thought."

"Who won."

"She did."

"Pfft. You lost to Olli?"

"Why's that funny?"

"She's so new to the game. I literally taught it yesterday." He laughed.

"Shut up." I blow air out of my nose. Vern got up and strode over to me.

"So, Earth, did you hear the rumors?"

"About there being a ruin in the woods?"

"Yeah, yeah, but did you hear that there could be treasure?"

"Vern why do we need treasure we get money from the government for being a Chosen Hero and family."

"That only lasts until the prophecy ends. We need money for later. Come on, it's a treasure filled ruin."

"You know you could just not finish the prophecy so we can keep the money coming in."

"That's just fraud."

I shake my head, "Where is the quote unquote treasure filled ruin?"

"Just inside the border. Olli can take us there."

"Olli knows where the ruins are?"

"No, but the demons also have similar rumors so..."

"I take it I'm being forced to go regardless of what I say."

"You know anyone else who'd go?"

"Only other one who would and could is currently sick from our last ruin exploration, so no."

"Then it is settled. We set off in an hour."

"An hour?"

He nodded. I groaned, why couldn't he plan ahead. He always waited till the last minute to drag people into his stupid expeditions. He stood around doing nothing, me glaring at him until Olli came running up the hill, horns framing her recently cut short hair.

"Hey, Vern, Loser." 

"Hey, Olli." I ignored her little dig at me.

"H-hey, Olli." Vern was blushing.  Olli ignored this and began conversing with him.

I laid down on my back on the grass and watched the white clouds drift by. I needed to relax. Ruins were bad for us. They were never going to be good for us, with our luck.)

(Honi paced, looking at me. "This is who, Quaza."

"My friend, Terra. I must apologize but Olli was experimenting with corridors, and she ended up here with her human servant." Quaza said. I was in a very nice-looking dress, hair and makeup done up like how girls in the demon capital did theirs- or so Quaza said.

"And why is she in one of your dresses?"

"Corridor destroyed her clothes mother."

Honi's eyes narrowed, red eyes studying me and my brother who was dressed up like an old man. "A pleasure to meet you, Terra." 

I curtsied like Quaza had showed me, "A pleasure to meet you, your Highness. May Yani's Grace bless you."

Honi smiled, "It is nice to see a friend of Quaza's that knows how to greet me. That Olli girl is quite dreadful."

Quaza scoffed, "This is why I wish grandfather was here. He likes my friends at least."

"I have a positive opinion of this one, don't I?"

"I suppose mother. I need to help them return to their home. Near the border, where Olli lives."

"You want me to buy a carriage for them?"

"Yes, mother."

"I will. But it is nearly dinner. I would like to dine with Terra. To see if you are not pulling a prank on me or being threatened by Terra."

"Why would I be threatened by Terra or pranking you, mother?"

"You look redder than your eyes, daughter." She turned back to me, "Well? Will you."

"It would be an honor, your highness."

Honi smiled. "Very well. Your servant can rest in the servant quarters. You two can rest in my library. I will have guards to make sure there is no funny business, do you hear me Quaza."

"Yeah, yeah."

"I do not appreciate that tone, young lady. I must apologize that we couldn't do lunch, but some friends of mine are also here. I'd introduce you to them, but I think they want to leave home to their daughters- they are quite prone to breaking things you see." Honi turned and left. A butler came and dragged Vern who looked terrified away. A guard came up to Quaza and I and guided us towards the library.

"Terra, I have a lot to teach you about how to eat, get ready to be bored."

"If it stops me from being arrested for breaking into the demonkind's capital castle, so be it." I reply following her in.)

Hayli kissed me, letting it last for a good while until breaking it. "So, how do you know Olli? You never really answered that before."

"She lived in the next town over when I lived back in my hometown. She got interested in us because of Avery's Mirror Magic."

"Not Vern's?"

"He wasn't and still isn't as talented at it as she was."

"How is Vern the Hero?"

I looked to the ground, "He's... I don't know."

"Okay." She seemed to think about another question, "So, want to find a place to sleep? With a bed?"

"I mean it would be rude to not use Olli's coins."

She stood up, helping me stand up as well. "Well, shall we?" and quickly began to run off with me following after.

("Hey, Earth." Vern nudged me.

"Yeah?" I replied.

"You notice anything weird?"

"Weird for us or weird for this area?"

"The area."

"Is it all the horns?"

"And weird bodies."

"And strange skin colors."

"And the odd natural hair colors."

"And the fact there are posters of Honi everywhere."

"I think we walked into demon territory."

"Wow, I can't believe we did it again. Just like the good old days." Vern stiffed a laugh.

"Maybe if we keep our head... shit." Vern stopped talking.

In front of us was a bulletin board with a large poster of my face on it. Below it was a caption:

"For the capture of the younger Thornell, 5000 pieces. Bring alive only to any castle controlled by Honi or her daughter."

Vern grimaced and then turned around and dragged me into an alleyway.

"They really hate you, huh."

"At least it's not saying to kill me on site?"

"You'd still be killed, Earth."

"If we ran we could escape."

"Oh yeah, that's a good idea. Draw a shit ton of attention to ourselves."

I had to agree with his point. "So, what's the plan?"

Vern thought for a moment as I sat down against the wall. "You stay here, I'll go get disguises."

"Aye, aye, captain." I said cracking my fingers. Vern checked his coin purse before dashing off into the city and leaving me utterly alone

In a town.

Controlled by demons.

Named after a demon whose dad I had accidentally killed.

Whose daughter helped cause one of the worst days of my life.

I smile out of nervousness and hoped for the best, knowing full well that something would go horribly, utterly wrong.)

"All right. Ten coins and you can stay as long as you want." The bull faced unihorned demon said.

"That seems like a bad business practice." I state.

"We make more money in other ways. Besides, boss would kill me for charging more."

Hayli pulled open the pouch and handed the demon the ten coins. He smiled, pocketed them and then handed two keys to both of us.

"So, what are you in town for? A bunch is going on. The princesses in town, the harvest festival, the candidate order is due to be finished soon as well."

"Oh, just visiting some old friends."

He nodded, "That's nice. I hope you enjoy your stay."

"Thanks."

Hayli and I walked to the left down a long hallway to our room labeled with a 7C in brass nailed to it. I placed my key in the doorhandle and, after fidgeting with it for a second, unlocked and opened the door. Hayli locked the door behind us. I was going to collapse on the bed, but Hayli pulled me off of it and into the bathroom where she forced me into the shower while she soaked in the tub. I ended up nearly conking out while standing up and she had to drag me to bed where I squeezed into the shorter girl's nightdress, my clothing torn up by the demon who had nearly killed me.

Hayli gripped my in her tail and I hugged her back. Then in seconds we were both snoring peacefully as we could on the lumpy twin sized bed.

14