1-31: Blood Servitude
211 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The ballroom was a large and cavernous sort, so large that the farthest corners of the space seemed to fall off into a horizon. Chandeliers of crystals shone above on the extravagantly patterned ceiling like stars in the sky or some other cliché of that sort. The guests were in such garish looking colors that it was a wonder than anyone could even admire the dresses and suits than contained them. 

Quaza moved with a fluidity that clashed against her stiff dress and stiff hair, done up into a crespine headdress. I stood by a large table of drinks, Hayli leaning against me. We had been told to wait for Quaza to prepare for the ritual, which at this point meant trying one of the many unlabeled full glasses. 

I sipped on a blue colored drink, the harsh taste of alcohol and blue making me want to just put it back down, but decorum meant I had to just try and get it down until I could find some place to forget it. I could see Ilyah and Shera chatting, and older woman beside Ilyah with horns that matched hers, and Shera's father next to her. I supposed the woman was Ilyah's demoness mother.

The polycule was in a corner clearly flirting with each other as a few other queer looking couples and groups stood around them and every so often seemed to join them in conversation. Left of them was Lili who was desperately trying to chat with Olli. Olli was in a harsh looking suit dress, looking more ready for a funeral than a party. Lili was meanwhile in a little girl's idea of a fancy dress, bright yellow and lime green that stood out even more next to Olli.

Tristan and Morganna walked over and grabbed drinks. Noticing us, Morganna stopped and turned, "Lovely party, no?"

"If you say so." I reply.

"To think by midnight, the Heroes of these demons will be solidified. And soon after the ones of Humans as well. Set in stone, and unchangeable. Is that not a funny joke? So fickle they are with names and numbers, up until to moment the clock rings true."

"Not like the Candidates will change. And all the Heroes might have changed is the number of them and who my brother's shield is."

"True. Besides, I misspoke, all is already finalized. It is only a letter to both waiting to be read." She sipped her drink, "Tell me, Human, who decides the names, who decides the order."

"Heroes are chosen by the Oracles, Shields are by the Heroes, Candidates same as Heroes but the ranking is by the Queen and Council."

She shook her head, "No, in it is merely politics. A fact you should be mindful of- after all, you are the Shield of a Shield, no?"

I froze for a second, "Olli runs her mouth too much. But yes, that is true."

Hayli coughed, "Vern's a Shield?"

"Yes. We transferred Avery's title to him in a suggestion by the government to avoid having to admit to losing a Hero in an attack on Human territory by demons. I was already in the Shield registry in case Vern was injured or sick, so it was simple to give me that title."

Morganna nodded, "So, I wonder how many 'Heroes and Shield and Candidates' are there and where lies the limit of greed?"

"Are you suggesting others are fakes?"

Morganna shrugged, "Food for thought. Good luck with the blood." 

The two left and we were alone again.

"Wait, are you telling me all of the Heroes were female?"

I counted in my head, "I'm not sure about our missing persons case but at least six of seven."

"Strange disparity, isn't it?"

"Every Candidate is femme, Hayli."

Caela walked up next to us, in a very blue dress. She had her whitish blonde wig put up into a bun, decorated with diamonds and other jewels, "Technically, my deadname is registered as mine- 0r was until I sent a letter asking them to change it."

Hayli smiled and handed her a random drink, "My name was **** for years, and I am sure Terra here is still under her old name in the registry as well."

"So, Caela, your grandfather let you out like that? I was under the impression you weren't publicly out."

"He didn't and I'm not. I've been telling everyone I'm not out yet that I'm Lyre's cousin. I think people believe me, though my voice did slip a few times when pressed for questions."

Hayli and Caela chatted, mostly Caela asking her advice about gender and girl stuff, while I just kind of zoned out. It was probably the best way to deal with the crowd and the noise without having an anxiety attack. After a time of unknown length, I was tapped on the shoulder and a large blue demon with red horns in a loose-fitting suit told me to make my way to the stage, a raised platform in the center of the room. I followed him, trying desperately to not trip in my heels as I also tried to avoid the guests in my way who refused to give either me, or the demon I was following space.

Quaza nodded as I climbed up on stage. Beside her was the First Mate from the ship. She glanced at me, "I guess that 'probably' was a 'definitely' then."

"Why is she here?" I asked Quaza.

"She's here to confirm to my mother that the ritual happened."

"I am also here to deliver the finalized rankings as well."

Quaza pointed to the ground. "Kneel on the ground there."

"Part of the ritual?"

The First Mate shook her head, "Plays better to the idea that this was a willing choice. Plus, it is respectful to be on your knees while awaiting clemency."

"I'd prefer a chair for you but there is none not being used."

"You have the goblet and glass, correct?"

Quaza nodded.

"And you know how you'll seal the ritual."

Quaza grinned, sharp teeth showing, "Of course."

"Okay. Terra, I suggest you kneel."

After removing my heels, I got down, sticking my knees under me so my ass rested on the heels of my feet. Quaza picked up a noise magic packet and slammed it to the ground. The majority of guests jolted and turned to the stage. Quaza waited for a few moments before beginning, voice carrying throughout the entire room with unnatural ease:

"Ladies, Gentlemen, Non-Binary Regals and Genderless Bourgois. I am your High Princess Quaza Honi Iralivilsa, and Lord Candidate. Today, before the Finalization is announced, I have one more spectacle for you. This human before me, was once the murderer of my grandfather."

Gasps and a few huhs came from the crowd. Quaza let the moment build before continuing, "But you ask, was not the murderer a male? And why would the murderer be here? Well, my subjects, this is not Earth Atlusia Thornell. This is Terra Atlusia Thornell. She wishes to absolve the guilt of her past life, by proving her loyalty to me. As such she and I will be engaging in the Blood Servant Ritual. She will be tied to me and be mine for the rest of our lives. An ironic fate not only for a human who killed a Lord Candidate and King but also for the Shield of a Hero." The crowd murmured in approval. "Now, Malo. The blade."

The First Mate unsheathed a rapier and handed it to Quaza. She walked over to me and kneeled down. She put a goblet before me.

"Terra Atlusia Thornell. Give me your hand."

I peeled off my glove and placed my hand palm up and brace myself. The cut was fast and Quaza held my hand as it poured into the goblet. Five seconds passed before Quaza wrapped my hand loosely with a towel to stem the bloody tide.

Quaza casually cut her own hand and poured it into the goblet and then some into a smaller glass. It was slightly purple and seemed to overtake my own blood's normal red color as soon as they touched.  She picked up the goblet and swirled it around. She held open her cut and poured half of it onto the wound, letting it turn her arm and palm red. I unwrapped mine and held it out. It stung a little as the blood tried to re-enter the cut and the warmth felt gross as it dripped off my skin.

Malo grabbed a cloth covered in runes and had us grasp our cut hands with each other, which was a painful experience. The runes glowed and when removed the blood was gone and the cut was starting to heal. Magic healing was always so weird to watch work on cuts, the way it looked like spiders spinning webs in your skin.

"Blood and blood, as master and servant must be willing to bleed for each other. A good master will save a servant but only if the servant is loyal. Terra, ingest my blood and accept the superiority of me to you."

I picked up the glass and eyed it. "Do... I have to drink it?"

"Yes, it's part of the ritual."

I looked to Malo. She tsked, "She's right. The guests are waiting."

 The crowd was murmuring, and I swear I could hear some chanting softly "Drink it, drink it."

I took a deep breath and then put the glass to my lips. The stench of blood hit my nostrils. I tipped back the glass, cocked back my head and let the salty purple liquid into my mouth and down my throat. It was gross and hard to keep from gagging, but I braved on, until it was empty.

"Good girl. Now repeat after me, 'I, Terra Atlusia Thornell, declare my undying fealty towards my mistress Quaza Honi Iralivilsa. All that I was is meaningless, except for my past with Quaza and also Hayli. I am only a servant and friend to Quaza, and will protect her with my life. My crime I do admit to doing, and with this I atone.'"

"I, Terra Atlusia Thornell, declare my undying fealty towards my mistress Quaza Honi Iralivilsa. All that I was is meaningless, except for my past with Quaza and also my girlfriend Hayli. I am only a servant and friend to Quaza, and will protect her with my life. My crime I do admit to doing, and with this I atone."

Quaza smiled and stood before me, "I accept the atonement, and with this I seal your loyalty." She leaned forward and grasped the back of my head and pulled me in for a kiss.

It lasted a second, but that was too long for a certain Water Dragon who yelled obscenities at the stage as she climbed up on it. 

"Ah, my apologies, Lady Hayli, but this was the easiest way to seal the ritual." Quaza smiled.

"Oh, sure. The easiest way to seal the ritual involved you kissing my Terra."

"If you wish, I can do the ritual with you as well. Prove it to you? That is the easiest way to seal?"

Hayli glared, "Fuck it. Let's do it." She snapped her fingers and water lifted from a nearby glass and spun into a ball. It quickly washed out the goblet and small glass before returning to a very disgusted looking woman's hand. Hayli walked over to me and kissed me, making sure it lasted longer than Quaza's.

"Hayli Reiland von Orache Summer, Hero of Humanity. Give me your hand."

Hayli held out her hand, and the cut was made, and the blood poured. I could smell the salt from it as I stood watching. Quaza cut her other hand this time, mixed them while again leaving some aside for drinking and poured it onto both hands. The rune cloth was palced over them by me, and it glowed, and the blood vanished and the wounds began to heal.  Then she repeated the lines she said before asking me to do as a vampire. Hayli with one motion downed the blood, to my horror and to a bit of shock from Quaza.

"Impressive. Now, repeat after me. 'I, Hayli Reiland von Orache Summer, declare my undying loyalty towards my princess: Quaza Honi Iralivilsa. My crime of being a Hero is finished, I have seen the light of the truth. I wish to serve my princess along with my beloved Terra and declare all that I was before to be a crime. I ask you to grant me the honor of serving you, your Highness.'"

"I, Hayli Reiland von Orache Summer, declare my undying loyalty towards my princess: Quaza Honi Iralivilsa. My crime of being a Hero is finished, I have seen the light of the truth. I wish to serve my princess along with my beloved future wife Terra and declare all that I was before to be a crime. I ask you to grant me the honor of serving you, your Highness." 

"I grant you the honor, and with I seal your loyalty." She leaned over and grabbed Hayli's cheeks and kissing her. She made sure it lasted a bit longer than mine, which her cheeky expression when she broke it confirmed to me. "Is that proof enough, that the kiss had nothing to do with my feelings towards Terra."

Hayli huffed, "Fine." She walked over to me, "I need to top harder to keep you from going to her."

"What?"

Quaza coughed, "My apologies, that went on longer than I thought, and I have one more blood servant than I meant as well. Now, please, let the dances begin."

The band in the corner, strings and brass began to play a smooth yet jaunty type of tune. Quaza grabbed the two of our hands and began to dance with us, switching back and forth and sometimes managing to lead both of us to the music. Hayli tried to lead me a few times, but Quaza would always grab her and focus on her as she did. This continued until the first song ended and Quaza guided us off towards and small table and sat us down. She left to get us drinks and a plate of cheese and assorted meats and fruit.

I gorged myself on the cheese immediately. "So, then, mistress when is the Finalization?"

"In an hour or so. And call me Quaza. You as well, Hayli. I want us to be friends, sisters, whatever you may."

Hayli sipped her water, "Bit of a big deal for reading names off a list."

"It is, but it's good to let people have fun. Besides, this is the first Finalization of any kind held in Honiville. Plus, the main ones always have some sort of deal with them."

"I suppose. Still weird. All we were going to get for the prophecy being solidified was get our memories fucked with."

"And be allowed off the island."

Quaza tore open a strange looking fruit with her hands and pulled out a core and tossed it before eating the inners. "We have some time. Hayli, perhaps you would tell me some stories about my dear Terra before you cracked that shell."

Hayli grinned, "Well, if you insist." And began to once again make me the most embarrassed girl in the entire continent.

13