1-34: Sisters
156 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(I'm not writing the boat stuff, Hayli.) (But, we had so much fun- Hayli) (I spent the entire ride flat to the bottom of the barely functional boat, face down trying to not even take a chance on seeing that blue death trap.) (I had fun making friends with the others. - Hayli) (I wouldn't call trying to drown Caela making friends.) (She cheated at the game; it was only fair.- Hayli) (Hayli, if I may cheating is to be expected in Poker. - Quaza) (No, it is fucking not. - Hayli.) (Can I actually write on this page or is it going to be covered by arguing?) (Fine, go ahead. I get two of my chapters soon. In a row. -Hayli.) (How is there enough content for you to reiterate to fit in two chapters?)

The sand. The sand! Deities, the sand was like heaven between my toes. I nearly capsized the boat when it became clear on the horizon, trying to row the boat faster and faster towards my salvation. Quaza shook her head as I covered my ass in sand, rolling around in it with Hayli. Caela was picking up random shells while Nox dragged our trunks off the boat.

There weren't any signs of civilization I could see from the shore, not even a dock or some sign that the beach was used for fishing or something. Now that I thought about it, how were we supposed to get to the Capitol city from here anyways? Especially dragging the still very heavy behind us. Even more especially if we were to walk all the way on foot as it seemed we might have to.

Hayli kissed me quickly as I tried to roll her butt off of my stomach and then stood up offering a hand to me. I took it and she grinned, teeth glinting. "Well, now what?" She asked aloud to group in general.

"I don't suppose you could clap your hands and summon Malo, Quaza?" I ask brushing sand off of me.

Quaza shook her head, "Unfortunately, no."

Caela groaned, "Do we even know what direction the Capitol is?"

Nox pointed towards the sun, "Come on, I know they taught you which way the sun rises in school."

"I don't know where we are, and I don't know where the capitol is, anyhow."

Quaza clapped her hands together, "I know where we need to go. Just follow your princess, and we'll get there in no time." And with no time to let us ask any questions, grabbed her own trunk and started slowly walking, dragging it behind her. 

We followed behind her like ducklings behind their mother, trusting the antlered demoness to know where the heck she was going. The area before us was most empty fields, ones that didn't seem to be cultivated in any way. A few odd-looking furry creatures stuck up their heads from the ground as we passed by, staring at us like they had never seen a human before in their lives. They let our legs brush inches from them without any signs of fear. Quaza began to pick up her own pace as the land began to slant downhill, which only made it harder for Nox to not fall farther behind as she was burdened with the rest of our supplies. And that wasn't even mentioning her remembering her trunk had wheels

I motioned for the blondes to move ahead while I fell back to stay beside the armored human pack mule and make sure she didn't get lost or hurt. They thanked me and ran ahead towards wherever the princess had made it to by now. I looked over at Nox who was covered in sweat unbefitting of the cool air.

"You good?" I asked.

She gave me a thumbs up and a smile, "I'm good, this is light work for me honestly. It's just these ropes aren't the best for dragging chests with."

I looked at the rough lucking ropes in her hands, very glad she had metal gloves on. I stared at them for a bit, trying to figure out what to talk about. I could discuss the obvious elephant in the room, that I have ignored for a bit- that I knew her before. I mean that was the easiest thing to figure. They weren't identical but the two were still twins. Even with the slight height advantage she now had on him. She was probably dad's height by now. Only Ulther was taller at this point, though I would have been worried if she was as tall as him.

The issue was I wasn't sure how to feel about it still. I mean she was dead. I admit I never saw a body, but the situation as it was then, there was no other conclusion to draw but the fact she had perished. And the investigations afterwards confirmed it as well. Even when the last time I saw Olli in Honiville, she told me she was dead. Hell, even now they are still saying her past self is dead. 

Was it perhaps just a case like my deadname to myself- a past that you know happened but bury beneath the dirt? Did she even know who she was? And if she did know did, she know that I knew already. She was always able to tell stuff like that when we were kids.

I shook my head, hair flying out of the nice styling Hayli had managed to get it into on the boat. I'd care about her being mad at me, but I liked it when she mad, her face was funny. Besides I needed to get my head in order. This wasn't something I should just ask without considering it. After all, was it even important? I mean besides the prophecy, Olli's interest in her, and the fact she was singled out like me it the Hero's letter.

I cocked my head. Did the others know? I supposed Quaza did but even that wasn't necessarily true. The only one I was certain knew was Olli, though that may just be stereotyping her I must admit but come on, I would say in this case stereotyping would be appropriate. Did anyone else among our now enemies know- or rather did any of them know- who she is? I guess perhaps the brainwipe had some use to helping us, even beyond it making the heroes into boring tropes.

I coughed, nearly forcing up a lung. Nox looked at me worried. I raised a thumb and just bit the arrow, deciding to try and joke a bit to lessen the blow, "So, when are you going to make up for the birthday present backlog, Ave?"

She stared at me for a moment, stopped dead in her tracks. Her eyes flitted back and forth as though she was looking for anything to run towards to avoid this situation. 

"Sis. Come on, you even have that scar in your left eyebrow from when Vern hit you with a rock when you were a toddler."

She shuffled slowly forwards, eyes downward, "Ugh, seriously. How? I thought I did a good job not looking like myself."

"Maybe if you and Vern didn't have long hair it might have taken me a bit longer- but still I am your sister you know?"

"I know, but still. Wait- how long did you know?"

"Since my reunion with Quaza." I smile, "You?"

"Going to be honest, I recognized you immediately. You look like a little bit like a younger version of mom."

"I do?" I curl my hair in my fingers.

"I mean I think you do."

"You want to explain yourself, sis?" I ask walking just ahead of her.

"No. But I should, shouldn't I?" She seemed to be trying to decide on the words to say. "I... made a deal with Olli in the middle of the battle. Well, more I made her get Quaza agree to a deal. You nearly fucked it up thanks to her curse on you- but since that was HER curse, you know."

"A deal?"

"It was to just come with her and then later announce I was a hero who defected to the demons, but Verny made that pointless when he took my title."

"What about the Demon thing?"

"Oh, um, that's just a thing for me. Also, please call me Nox." 

I wanted to ask more, but it wasn't really important. We picked up the pace a bit, the group definitely well ahead of us now. I needed to chat to pass the time. "So, any boyfriend?"

"Oh, I'm a lesbian."

"So, what was that crush on Henry?"

She shrugged, "Compulsory heterosexuality? By the way, is Vern dating anyone?"

"Nope, and never has."

"Whew, I can still get a girlfriend before him."

"Do you have anyone in mind?"

"Nope! But I'll know if I meet her."

"I'd say that's a bad idea but who am I to talk."

"By the way, congratulations on finally kissing Quaza."

I flipped Nox off, "Shut up."

"Aw, still so sensitive. You're the one who asked Ulther how to kiss a girl a week after becoming friends with her."

"I am so glad Hayli is miles ahead of us."

"How'd you bag Ilyah's cousin anyhow?"

"She saw a future vision of us together."

"Oh, so she bagged you then."

"I... guess?" I shrugged, moving my bangs out of my eyes. We still weren't able to see or hear the other. I tried to yell to see if any of them would respond but my call faded out with no response. How fucking fast were they going? I know we stopped for a while when I first confronted Nox, but still this was annoying. I was so glad this wasn't a wooded area, or I might be in trouble with how lost we were slowly becoming.

We chatted, mostly me giving my life story to Nox, and Nox telling me tales about Quaza to me. The day passed and the sun slowly set, the light growing dimmer and dimmer with each passing minute. We strove on even as it was well and truly night, just in case we would stumble upon the trio, but gave up and found a nice area to rest in, wrapped up in blankets from the supplies, huddled together like how we did often as kids, late at night in our backyard. 

I leaned on Nox, closing my eyes. "You ever been to the capital?"

"Nope. And you've only been to the castle, Terra."

"Stop ruining my jokes, Nox."

"I only ruin bad jokes."

I huffed and rolled myself into a cocoon. Nox lifted my head and placed a pillow beneath me, which I placed my head face down on. I heard her fluffing her own beside me and then the I quickly passed out and into my dreams.

(Dione sat on a stone pillar, looking down at me. "So, nice time you're having."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean pretty peaceful for a woman facing the end of the world."

"A bit dramatic, don't you think?"

"Maybe. But you know this prophecy cycle is different too. Plus, I just feel like there's something that's changed in the world. The magic is thicker."

"I think you might be losing it."

"I share your thoughts, Terra. I know the mark has been itchy lately."

I shrug, "Been in Demon Territory, could be that part of it."

"That doesn't itch. It's something entirely different."

"And what has changed?"

"I don't know, but..."

"It has to do with the Twins?"

"See, we do share thoughts."

I rolled my eyes at my shadow. "Bit boring on the body horror this time."

"Bit boring to not have a stable form."

"You aren't some sort of spy for Olli right?"

"I still barely know if I'm not a delusion of your mind, Terra. Spying is the least of my worries."

I nodded. The scene began to fade slowly, as it so often did and then suddenly, I was awake once again.)

It was thankfully only a few hours before we saw the trio again, Hayli immediately hugging me and I her when we saw each other. Nox laughed as she tied me with her tail to keep me beside her.

"You should have let Caela stay with Nox- she's a good fighter and also wouldn't stop whistling that fucking tune."

"That tune is the National Anthem, thank you very much."

I shook my head, "And miss out on sisterly bonding?"

Hayli raised her eyebrow, "Sister?" She looked at Nox and back at me. Before shrugging, "I give up with you. Friends with the Princess of Demons, Friends with Olli and now Nox is your dead sister? You are so lucky I love you."

"I know." I smile at her expression of utter bafflement towards my life as onward we walked on.

7