Chapter 3
7 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Leo’s classmates filtered out of his backyard as the sun sank, painting the sky pink and red. Eventually, leaving only his family and a few of the other graduating seniors from the team. Behind him his mom cleaned up the remnants of the party and his cousins popped balloons. His teammates crowded around him, joking and laughing loudly like they had been all day. While Leo tried to laugh with them his mind just kept wandering back to Sky, his stomach eating itself with anxiety.

Leo hadn't seen or heard from him in the two weeks since his graduation party. He hadn't responded to any of Leo’s texts or calls either. And when he tried to stop by his apartment his father's security guards kicked him out.

Sky had promised to come but the party was long over and he still hadn't shown his face.

Leo pressed his fingers into the red plastic cup in my hand until it cracked.

"Leo, you okay dude?" Trevor leaned towards him, eyebrows knitting together. The talking and laughing stopped.

Leo smiled and set down the cup, shaking off the drops of coca-cola that had dripped onto his  hand, "Yeah, sorry, zoned out for a second." he laughed.

For a second there was silence and then Matt said, "As I was saying..." before launching back into his story and Leo promptly tuned him out again.

"Leo!" My mom called out from the back door, "Sky is at the front door!" Leo shot to his feet, the old, plastic lawn chair he sat in toppling to the ground. He ran around the side of the house, vaulting over the fence, not wasting time opening the gate.

Then he rounded the corner and saw him.

Sky stood on the step with his hands in the pockets of his navy blue pressed slacks and the sleeves of his white button-up shirt rolled up to his elbows. His black hair was neat without a hair out of place but behind his glasses were deep purple eyebags. With only the slightest halting of his steps Leo rushed towards him, wrapping his slight frame in his arms.

Sky hugged back, his hands lightly pressing into my back. Then he pressed harder, his face buried in the crook of Leo’s neck. After 30 seconds of embracing he let go and gently pushed Leo away.

"Where have you been? I was worried." Leo frowned, deciding not to comment on the strange hug.

"I'm sorry..." Sky unrolled and rerolled his sleeves, looking down as he spoke, "I wanted to spend some time with you these last two weeks but my father kept me busy."

"Don't worry about it. Just... remember to send me a text or something next time."

Sky pulled an envelope out of his pocket and pressed it into Leo’s hands, "There won't be a next time.”

1