Chapter 10: Weapon Customization
958 2 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Weapon customization in New Vegas? That was new. Sure, there was weapon customization in New Vegas, but it wasn’t that modular. Heck, some weapons didn’t have any customization whatsoever at New Vegas. Because of that, I was excited about the weapon customization that would be available. 

I headed outside to see what Sunny would be doing. She was standing in front of a weapon workbench, consisting of a regular workbench with a gas torch alongside something that looked like a small foundry. I didn’t know whether there was a metal milling machine on that workbench as well, it was impressive for something near the wasteland. 

“Ah, there you are,” she was doing something to her rifle. 

“Woah, what are you doing?” All I could see was she replaced a part of the rifle. 

“I am replacing the receiver on my rifle with an improved one, it would improve the damage to the rifle,” Sunny was putting the old receiver away and putting in a new receiver. Cosmetically, I noticed that the new one was cleaner, and looked a tad heavier. 

Logically speaking, how replacing the receiver of a rifle would increase its damage of it? It didn’t make any sense to me. However, knowing that this was a different world, there might be a different thing in this world. Perhaps, it allowed the bullet to travel faster? I didn’t know. I wasn’t a gun nut in the first place. 

It was a mechanic in Fallout 4, but I never even once thought that it would work here in the first place. Well, it meant that some weapons were modular enough to be used until mid-game or more. Varmint Rifle was obsolete by the time you found a Service Rifle, and it would become obsolete even sooner in the base game. 

“Anyway, here, I want to teach you some basics in weapon modding. As long as you got a material, you’ll be able to do it,” Sunny said. 

There were indeed some tools for some precision rifling, but I wasn’t sure I was capable of doing that to my Varmint Rifle. I approached the weapon’s station and looked at my pistol, I had no idea what to make of it. 

“Sunny, you are asking me to do something that I’m not capable of,” I complained. 

“Well, I’m just introducing something to you, in case you want to know. Anyway, this rifle is yours,” Sunny gave me her hunting rifle whose receiver had been replaced. 

[Varmint Rifle+ has been added to inventory]

I checked the stats of the rifle. It was indeed different from the regular rifle. 

[Varmint Rifle+]

DAM: 20

DPS: 23

Mods: Heavy Receiver

That was all that I saw from the rifle stats, to be entirely honest. It did have 20 damage now, which was better than the standard 18 damage that my current Varmint Rifle had. I gave the old one back to Sunny since it would be foolish to walk around Mojave without any firearm whatsoever. 

I put the modified Varmint Rifle on my back while keeping the 9mm pistol in my holster. I didn’t know how to modify a gun yet since I never tried one both here and in my previous life. Well, it might be useful at the end of the day, I guess?

“Thanks for the rifle, Sunny,” I said. 

“No problem, after I shot you, and after you’ve done so much to Goodsprings, I’ll think this will be the perfect reward,” Sunny said as she gave the rifle. To think about it, there might be something that was in mind. Ah, probably just my thought, to be entirely honest. 

With the rifle on my back and my pistol in my holster, the only thing that was missing was the body armor. Sure, I could buy a piece of leather armor from Chet, but it would be out of my budget at the moment. Well, time to head to Primm and looked for a job. 

I doubted I’d be useful as a croupier or something in the casino, I didn’t even think that the Vikki & Vance casino was open in the first place at the moment. I was thinking of doing a job in Mojave Express. Yeah, I’d be working as a courier. However, I doubted that I’d meet the Courier. 

I hoped I’d not meet that special courier with braided hairs again. That person gave me the chills. The unnecessary chill was just something else if I had my saying in that thing. The person looked like someone who simply didn’t belong to the club of ordinary people. 

With all of my business completed in Goodsprings, it was time to head to Primm. I took Highway 95 while keeping an eye in case NCR military trucks were going on the road. After all, it was the backbone of logistics. 

However, I wasn’t sure that the other factions, the Legion, would sit quietly seeing the NCR establishing a base of operation there. They might find a solution to solve the problem that was the NCR, but to be honest, I doubted that people with machetes would beat the most basic people armed with rifles. The Legion was one of the most questionable factions in Mojave, doctrinally. 

Their restrictions to meds and firearms were pretty much questionable, especially against something like the New California Republic armed forces that seemed to be able to operate vehicles, and there was still the fact that NCR might be closer to real military force in this world instead of just a regular militia. 

After some walking, I finally arrived at Primm. Nothing had changed, it was still the same town as usual. Then again, I felt that there was no difference whatsoever. Then again, it was only yesterday that I visited that town. 

I immediately visited Mojave Express in case there was a job that I could take. In my opinion, there should have been one since there might be a chance that there was an empty job desk on Mojave Express. I opened the door and was greeted by the old man. 

“Young man, coming so soon?” Nash said.

“I am. Mr. Nash, I’m looking for a job with Mojave Express, do you think I can get one?” I asked. 

“Hmm, thinking that you’re a courier already, yes. Kinda. Someone from Primm needs a package delivered to the Mojave Outpost, to Ranger Jackson, to be precise. The pay is 100 caps, do you want it, young man?” Nash asked. 

“What’s the package?” I asked, in case it was a bomb delivered for the NCR. The last thing that I wanted to be was to be designated as a terrorist by the NCR for delivering a bomb to their major supply point before the first battle for Hoover Dam. 

“A military scope for him. So, do you want it or not?” Nash asked. 

“Sure, where’s the package?” I asked. 

“Right, here,” Nash said as he put a wooden box containing the scope. Should I open it? Perhaps, when Nash wasn’t looking. I didn’t want to be found out that I opened the package, nor did I want to deliver a bomb to the NCR. 

“I suggest you leave later when the sun has come up again. Why don’t you take shelter in that Bison Steve Hotel or the abandoned casino? Sure, it’s dusty, but hey, it’s pretty safe, I guess?”

“Thanks for the tip, Mr. Nash.” I picked up the package and I left Mojave Express to head for the hotel. 

 

18