Chapter 21: Minefield
456 3 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

So, in this ranger office, I was sitting down while this somehow crazy ranger in front of me was teaching me how to use a bloody landmine. Did I strike him to be a mercenary type? It seemed to be the case since I'd not even trust a bloody darn civilian to handle a bloody landmine. 

"It's easy to use, easy to remember. Press the red button once to activate, and press it again to deactivate, so simple, right?" he said. 

"Haha." I laughed, sarcastically. If it was that simple, why don't have an NCR soldier doing that then, instead of me?

"You try," he said. 

"I? Are you sure about that? I'm not sure," I said as I held the landmine in your hand. 

"C'mon, if you are careful with that, it's not going to blow. Just make sure not to bloody push the big rubber button on the middle of it, capiche?" Jackson warned me as he pushed the red button to arm the mine. "Go on, disarm it."

Here I was, standing in front of a crazy ranger that let me handle a mine in his office. I was sweating, my palm was very slippery. What if my finger slipped when I pressed the red button? Carefully, I pressed the red button and disarmed the mine. 

"See, it's that easy," Jackson said. 

"Yeah, yeah, easy your head, both of us would blow up."

"That's only a dummy," Jackson smiled. 

He then grabbed, probably like six of those mines and put them on his tables separately, "Now this is the real mines. Be careful with it, lay these down in Ivanpah, to prevent the legion from ambushing NCR, preferably near that highway patrol station," he said as he sat down on his chair again. I put all of the landmines on my Pip-Boy inventory. A new quest appeared. 

[Minefield]

[0/6] Lay 6 mines in Ivanpah Dry lake

[Explosive Skills are raised by 6]

"Now go, I don't want to see your face before you finish the job," he said. 

"Aye, sir," I said. 

I walked out of the Mojave Outpost headquarter and headed down again to Ivanpah dry lake. It made something clear to me, after the landmine request and the fact that I just encountered a Legion's encampment this morning. Both had something to do with Ivanpah dry lake. 

The NCR didn't want to waste manpower on the dry lake, mainly because they would be very vulnerable to Legion's ambush, and the fact that fire ants were swarming that dry lake. And the landmines? They were probably placed as insurance to make sure that the Legion would have a harder time ambushing them. 

I had no intention of helping the NCR, but I had no intention of leaving the Legion as a threat in the wasteland. Anything that could be done to make sure that the Legion didn't kidnap more children would be enough for me. The NCR could do their own business, and I'd be able to do mine. 

Since this wasn't a proximity mine, there was less chance of me accidentally detonating it. However, if it was left to be too obvious, I doubted that the Legion wouldn't notice it. The mines needed to be buried, but well, Jackson didn't even bother to give me a shovel. 

So, I used my nails to dig into the desert sand. Luckily, it was easier than digging straight at a dirt. However, it was not exactly as sandy as desert sand, more like a very dusty version of dirt. Welcome to the Mojave Desert, not even a month and the NCR had told me to bury landmines for them. 

I dug one hole, armed the mine, and put it inside of that hole. After that, I put sand on top of it to make sure that the Legion wouldn't see it. It would be hard to demine a mine that well hidden. I walked 10 meters from the first mine and dug another hole. 

Some of the caravans that walked passed by the Nevada Highway Patrol Station looked at me suspiciously, sometimes, in confusion. I did look like a regular NCR soldier at first glance, but my lack of insignia should prove that I had nothing to do with NCR. Still, it made it easier so nobody dared to approach me since I was from the NCR. 

I wondered, what would happen if a merchant headed for this area, would they step accidentally into the landmines and blow their foot? It was highly likely, but the NCR must have something to help counter accidental friendly fire. 

A caravan accidentally blew up because of landmines would be bad for public relations, especially since NCR was a democratic government, for the most part, if not for its corruption. Yeah, the NCR was a somehow functioning democracy, not perfect, but at least, better than the Legion, which was not a high standard by itself. 

After I buried all of the landmines, a prompt appeared on my Pip-Boy. This time, only confirmed that I had buried six landmines in the desert. It was not a dangerous job, after all, I overestimated the danger of the landmines, eh?

This would make the Legion think twice before attacking any NCR convoy from this position. If they accidentally stepped on the landmines, it would be quite a big kaboom. Now, it was up to NCR to make sure the landmines wouldn't hurt any civilians. I'd hate if my landmines suddenly blow up innocent prospectors. 

[Minefield]

[6/6] Place 6 Landmines in Ivanpah Dry Lake

[] Return to Ranger Jackson

With all of that finished, it was time to return to that Ranger. Would the Legion notice this action, though? Their frumentarii was literally everywhere. I didn't know whether it would end up nicely if I kept obstructing their way in Mojave Wasteland. 

===

"Good job, the grunts will give a minefield sign," Jackson said as he gave me 1,000 caps. 

"Thanks, Jackson. Tell me though, why do you send me instead of regular grunts?" I asked. 

"Say, I send grunts. I'd need to send a squad or a team of NCR grunts. One of them died from a dumb thing, I'd have to pay for their families, and let me tell you, in the long-term, that thing would drain NCR's wallet," Jackson said. "Besides, apparently, there is a thief that stole 1,000 caps from Knight's safe."

Ranger, or special forces, would do anything to achieve their goals, even if it meant using any methods deemed to be unlawful by a regular law. Well, renting a mercenary was unlawful as well, Jackson always insisted that I was an NCR guest for him. 

"Thanks for the 1,000 caps, though, Jackson," I said. 

"Don't spend it all on blackjacks on Vegas, young boy," he said. 

"I don't gamble," I said. 

"Good for you. These grunts," Jackson shook his head, "They spent their whole month's pay on blackjack and companies." Jackson then sighed, he was disappointed in having to do most of the administration work instead of going out there and doing some jobs for NCR. 

"Well, ranger, if you don't mind, can I leave now?" I asked. 

"Sure, sure, you may leave, the NCR thanks you for this," Jackson said as I left his office. 

[NCR: Accepted]

   

17