Chapter 24: Caravan
426 3 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"You started sticking around like a sore thumb, you know?" Lacey commented.

It's been a week since I stayed at Mojave Outpost as my main base of operation. Well, a base of operation was an overstatement, more like a place where I could sleep for free. Thanks to the few errands that I had done for the NCR, I was finally given one single bunk bed to sleep in.

My bunkmate was a very quiet NCR soldier which only say a few words when I asked him anything. The answer that came out of his mouth was either 'yes','no', or 'perhaps'. Even the question which answer required a long one.

I had enough bottlecaps to spend for a meal, so I spent my entire day usually looking at the wasteland from the ranger statue, helping Lacey clean up the barracks, or yet again retrieving someone from Nipton just like Private Baker. Sometimes, Ghost gave me tips and tricks on how to shoot a rifle.

Overall, my relationship with the people at the outpost was rather good. For the most part, that was. Knight and I didn't get along too well, mainly because he was too stiff as a guy. I didn't know why, he just didn't want to get close to any man, for the most part. He was closer to the women on this outpost if I have my say on it.

"Are you going out again, Enzo?" Lacey asked as I sipped on the last drop of instant noodle broth.

"Yeah, I think so," I said.

Today, I'd return to Primm, probably to pick up another package. I still needed the payment from Mr. Nash alongside wrapping things up in Primm. It looked like I wouldn't make Primm to be my main base of operation, after all.

Old Laurie did give quite a decent room, but for the bottlecaps charged per night, I'd need to do a courier job all day long alongside other errands in this outpost, basically, making it unviable to do so. Mojave outpost, on the other hand, provided me with a free bunk bed, thanks to my reputation with the NCR.

After finishing my usual instant noodle, I headed downhill back to Primm. I hitched alongside a caravan. I didn't know the name of the caravan was, but the leader of the caravan seemed pretty nice. He accepted me willingly as a hired bodyguard. After all, having a connection with a good merchant would be a good idea.

"Again, thanks for the favor, young guy," he said.

"No problem, always happy to help," I said.

The caravan consisted of two brahmins, alongside with three bodyguards and one leader. Most of the bodyguards were wearing leather armor with the exception of the leader, which wore metal armor. Their weapons varied from Single Shotgun to Caravan Shotgun. Only the leader used 9mm SMG.

The brahmins were carrying packs, of course, which contained many different items, but mostly water. Was water that scarce in Mojave Wasteland? Bison Steve Hotel seemed to be fine in providing water for its inhabitants. One brahmin even carried a barrel of water from far away.

"Hmm, is water that scarce in Mojave Wasteland?" I asked.

"Not really. However, some areas in the Mojave do have problems with water, especially Northside and Freeside. Bottom line, in any place outside of the New Vegas Strip, Clean water is problematic for them, somewhat," he said.

"Oh, I see. What caravans do you affiliate yourself with?" I asked.

"I'm part of Cassidy Caravans, we're just one of the many caravans that our boss managed," he said.

"Cassidy Caravans… it reminds me of something," I said.

"Have you ever met our boss?" He asked.

"I don't think I have."

"No wonder, you looked like just fresh from NCR basic training. Are you their youngest recruit?" He asked.

"Nah, I'm just a courier."

"Oh, a courier, huh? " He said.

We eventually went past the Nevada Highway Patrol Station, right where I placed the landmines. I was glad the NCR had put a sign for the landmines, albeit it was made from crude metals. It would deter anyone who was sane enough from crossing Ivanpah Dry Lake.

Primm was just up ahead. It didn't take too long for me to arrive in that town. The others went in the direction of Goodsprings while I took a turn to the right to head to Primm. As usual, there was no NCR presence on the area. It looked like they didn't want to take Primm yet, maybe due to logistics constraints.

I returned to Mojave Express.

"I thought you were dead, young man," Nash commented as I entered the office.

"Yeah, I'm just here for my payment, though," I said.

"Alright, here you go," Nash put 300 caps on top of the counter and I put them all into my Pip-Boy inventory.

I had 3,229 bottlecaps in total. Would it be enough to buy a better weapon, though? I didn't remember that Lacey sold anything that I considered to be decent for an upgrade. Sure, there were laser rifles on her inventory, but I preferred guns at this point, due to how many people around here use 5.56 as their main ammunition.

"Anyway, can you help us, young man?" Nash asked.

"Sure, what do you need, Mr. Nash?" I asked.

"It's with the Legion, again," Nash said.

Those reds? Again? In this exact same spot. Man, what the sheriff was doing in the first place? Wasn't he supposed to be protecting the town by any means necessary? And who was kidnapped this time, don't tell me this was another slave run.

"Hmm, isn't there any sheriff around here, Mr. Nash? Cause I'm sure as hell I'm going to ask him," I said.

"Guy's real piece of work, but he kinda does his job," Nash said.

"Oh, I'm going to talk to him," I said.

19