Chapter 27: Fending Off The Legion
381 1 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I pulled the trigger of my Service Rifle twice, both aimed at the torso of the legionary. The bullet hit his heart and he dropped dead on the ground. That ought to be very loud, everyone would notice that loud gunshot.

I immediately peeked from behind the cover and slowly aimed my rifle at the incoming legionaries. They were fast. Their cannon fodders had begun charging me with their machetes while the other legionaries behind them started opening fire with their weapons.

Small pieces of rocks started falling off as the big stone that I used for hiding began to take damage from the incoming bullets. Whistling coming from the bullets startled me to stay put on my rock, avoiding the incoming gunshots. If I got hit once in the foot, it would be very bad.

"DIE!" A legionary slashed his machete in my direction. I jumped backward and shoot my Service Rifle thrice. He dropped dead, but thanks to the previous jump, now I was exposed to the line of fire. I laid down on the ground, but it was too late, several bullets hit me in the stomach and on my hands.

I crawled down to the big rock again, waiting for a chance to escape. Sorry, refugee, this would end up in me in the graveyard if I continue to engage the legion. I gritted my teeth as several bullet holes were made in my hands, alongside a lucky shot to my stomach. I looked at my Pip-Boy.

[HP: 49%]

The hail of bullets was indeed something that I didn't previously expect from the legionaries, especially since the previous camp was only equipped with basic ballistic weaponry. I should have been more careful in dealing with the Legion.

I held the wound on my stomach, it was not bleeding profusely, but it was certainly a pain to have that kind of bleeding. I put my rifle in harm's way and fully pulled the trigger in the Legion's direction, to give me a chance of escaping.

Instead of successfully suppressing them, I got met back with more hail of bullets. Darn it, should have brought more people, or brought a better armor, at the very least. There were several bulges on the plates that I wore, indicating that I managed to stop several bullets. Still, with how the situation had become, I didn't know how I'd come out here alive.

I ran out of ammunition and switched to the 10 mm SMG that I put on my thigh. I pulled it out and started firing at the Legion, knowing that aiming would be a straight suicide due to the number of bullets fired in my direction. The helmet wouldn't help me from a big caliber bullet.

"FORM UP ON ME! WE ARE GOING TO SHOW THE PROFLIGATE!" Someone said.

The volume of fire reduced significantly, then I peeked at what was awaiting me. A row of legionaries came straight in my direction, alongside one person holding a chainsaw in his hands. I glared at the legionary, knowing that the bloody chainsaw would cut me like a hot knife through butter.

It was a risk, but I had to take it. I put a fresh new magazine on my Service Rifle and peeked my head out of the big stone and aimed down the sight of my rifle. It was quite a gamble, but I took it. I aimed my rifle carefully at the particular legionary and shot it with my rifle. Five bullets flew off the barrel of the rifle, hitting the legionary straight on the torso, and killing him.

CLANG!

Suddenly, I felt someone just punch my head with a sledgehammer. I fell to the ground from the force alone, and my helmet flew off my head. A bullet just hit me in the head, I was lucky that it was at the helmet. My whole world suddenly felt like spinning around, but there was no time to relax, I needed to get back on my feet.

I crawled to the rock while providing suppressing fire by pulling the trigger of my rifle several times. I put my back on the rock while grabbing a Stimpak from my inventory. I didn't know how this thing worked, but if it worked, it worked. I injected one Stimpak right into a blood vessel in my hand.

The pressurized container pushed the dark red solution into my body. It felt like someone was pushing something out of my blood vessel, due to the amount of Stimpak solution injected, but bloody hell might as well try this thing.

The solution immediately dispersed all across my entire body. The blood stopped flowing out, which was good, but the holes weren't fully sealed yet, and I was afraid that my stomach content would immediately mix with my blood content, which was very very bad. At least, my world stopped spinning now.

Peeking out was a bad idea, shooting blindly wouldn't last me very long either, what should I do? I shot my rifle blindly again and put the empty magazine away into my Pip-Boy inventory and pulled a fresh new one.

The biggest threat right now would be the melee attack, they would immediately kill me who didn't have any close-combat training whatsoever. I blindly fired my weapon and shot it at the row of legionaries that came after me. My biggest fear was one of those people picked up the chainsaw and decided that slashing me would be the best course of action, which was the case.

CK! CK! CK!

The rifle suddenly jammed when I fired it. As if the situation couldn't get any worse than what I previously expected. I opened the magazine and pulled the charging handle backward. The jam didn't clear yet.

"Bloody hell!" I cursed as I slammed the rifle while putting the charging rifle with both of my fingers. The jam finally disappeared, but my reaction time was too late. A legionary managed to bypass my defense and immediately slashed at my direction. I pulled the trigger and killed him immediately. I felt the warmth of blood on my face, he managed to make a scratch.

I peeked from behind the rock, and all of a sudden, something unexpected happened. A figure with a brown coat jumped from one of the command tents that the legionary used, and he stabbed two legionaries at once with a Legion's gladius. The figure stood up, revealing the gas mask with its red visor. On its shoulder was the New California Republic Ranger insignia.

16