Chapter 22: The 12th Base: The Elite Awakened.
148 3 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The 12th Base was a marvel of engineering, a sprawling underground facility with three levels built deep into the earth. The base was home to a diverse array of individuals, from the most important military and Foster labs personnel to the regular people who lived and worked within its walls.

The base was built to withstand a nuclear attack, with layers of reinforced steel and concrete that could withstand even the most powerful explosions.

The highest level of the base was a gleaming bastion of power, with sleek metal walls and polished floors. Here, the most important people lived and worked, This floor was equipped with the most advanced technology and luxury amenities, such as gourmet food, and luxurious living quarters. The commanding officers of the base held meetings and made important decisions in this area, and it was strictly off-limits to anyone not granted permission to enter.

The second level of the base was in the middle, with a mix of living quarters and communal spaces. The people who lived here were the awakened humans and their families, those who were given special Privileges by the military and Foster labs. They were allowed a measure of freedom and Decent living conditions, that the regular citizens on the lower level could only dream of.

The lowest level of the base was the third floor, and it was a far cry from the gleaming halls of the upper levels. Here, regular people lived and worked, and their living conditions were far from equal. The air quality was poor, the food quality and quantity were low, and the living spaces were cramped and dingy. It was like a miniature city built within the bowels of the earth, but it was a harsh and unforgiving place to live.

The regular people who lived on the third floor had to go through extreme measures to survive. There was a great deal of corruption and criminal activity in the area, with some residents resorting to selling their bodies or engaging in other illegal activities just to put food on the table. The crime rate was high, and there was a constant undercurrent of tension and danger, their only way out was to hope for an awakening, only by joining the ranks of the awakened, do they have a chance to leave this wretched place.

In order to move between the floors, the base had a series of moving stations that were under heavy supervision. These stations were equipped with state-of-the-art technology, such as facial recognition and biometric scanning, to ensure that only authorized personnel could access them. In addition, armed security personnel heavily guarded the stations, to prevent any unauthorized access.

To ensure that the zombie virus did not spread around the base, a rigorous checking system was in place. Highly advanced body temperature sensors were installed all over the base, and if anyone was found with a higher temperature than normal, they would be immediately dragged away by the guards never seen again.

***

First Floor, Restricted zone.

Main Headquarters. Strategy Room.

As the three groups gathered before departing on their mission, they introduced themselves. They had different backgrounds, but as elite awakened of the 12th base, they were familiar with each other, so they spilt to three different groups based on their abilities.

A man stepped forward, his tall, muscular frame towering over the others. He had short-cropped hair and a stern expression. His eyes were a deep, dark brown, and his skin was tanned from many hours in the sun.

"Greetings, I am Marcus, leader of the Attack Group. My ability is to create powerful energy blasts that can take down even the toughest foes. With me, I have four other awakened members, all highly skilled in close combat and ranged attacks. We are ready to take on whatever comes our way."

Another woman stepped forward next, her long black hair flowing behind her. Her piercing green eyes seemed to look right through you. She was slender and graceful, with an air of calmness and control.

"Greetings, I am Maya, leader of the Control Group. My ability is telekinesis, which allows me to manipulate objects and people with my mind. With me, I have selected awakened members with abilities that can immobilize the target. We will be the ones to keep things under control."

Finally, Alex stepped forward, his bald head shining in the light. He had a warm smile on his face, and his eyes sparkled with kindness. He was a middle-aged man, but he moved with the energy and enthusiasm of someone much younger.

"Greetings, I am Alex, leader of the Support Group. My ability is healing, which I use to great effect in battle. With me, I have other awakened members with healing abilities, as well as an amplifier who can boost the powers of the other awakened. We will be there to keep everyone on their feet."

As they gathered around a large table, Marcus spoke up first. "Alright, here's the plan, if the messenger sent to contact the target fails to bring things to a peaceful resolution, we will have to act immediately and surround the target and apprehend him”

“All I need is 1 minute with no distractions, to take over the target’s minds, and immobilize him completely” Maya said, she had full confidence in her mental powers, as long as someone has lower intelligence attributes than hers, she can overwhelm them. After all she wasn’t called “Queen of the Esper” for nothing.

Marcus nodded in agreement. "Sounds good. But what if he manages to break free from your control? We need to be ready for any scenario."

Maya eyes twitched, clearly unhappy with Marcus comment, she gave him a look of ‘do you want test it out’

Marcus strategically avoided her gaze, and hurriedly added ”Of course I know how unlikely that sounds, believe me I know first-hand the extent of your ability, but we need to be cautious, that’s all”

“well said Marcus, I think our best strategy is to use our numbers against him, we need to wear him down bit by bit, until he’s out of Mana”  Alex jumped in and said, he didn’t want these two to drag in the meeting into a couple’s fight, Marcus and Maya tried to hide it but everyone knew they were secretly dating.

The meeting continued for a few more hours, and a full proof plan was made to capture Fletcher.

Greetings, my chapters are not appearing on the list of latest updates. As a solution, I have started announcing new chapters on my profile page, so please make sure to check it out for new updates. Also check out my new novel Rise of the Underdog: From Coward to Hero!.

2