Chapter 7 – Limbo
13 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ayato took a step back, staring at a 10-foot-tall black creature with a human torso and crab legs on the lower half. Both of its thin arms were 8 feet long with crab pinchers, and the face of the creature was like a blank canvas. There were no eyes, mouth, nose or anything along those lines.

"So you're telling me that this crab man hybrid shadow thing is a witch?"

Avrora nodded and replied, "Yup, that's basically how some of them look. Now you should probably kill it before it kills you."

"You don't say? Do I run up and punch it or something?"

Avrora replied, "I mean, you can, but I would highly advise against it. So summon your relic."

Ayato turned his head toward Avrora and asked, "Do you think I know what a relic is?"

"Oh right, I didn't give you a run down on that as yet. Wow, I am off my game today. So anyway, a relic is basically your manifested weapon which aids you in a battle. Some are offensive, while others are defensive. You just need to focus and it will come to you."

Ayato stretched out his right hand and closed his eyes. The spirit crest on the back of his hand started to illuminate, and a few moments later, a side sword appeared in his grip.

The length of the pulsating dark purple blade was 39 inches, and the width of the blade was roughly a little over an inch. The guard of the sword is a snake eating its own tail, and it is complemented with a black handle.

He slashed the air a couple of times and said, "Ok, this isn't bad at all."

Avrora looked on curiously as Ayato slowly approached the witch with the sword pointed at it.

He took a deep breath and rushed towards the creature, who struck first by swinging one of the pinchers, but Ayato managed to duck under the attack before rising up with a vertical slash at the base of the pincer, cutting off its arm.

The witch roared in pain and took a step backwards. Ayato turned to Avrora and said, "Hey, I am doing it."

"Uh, Ayato, you should probably turn around."

As soon as he did that, the witch swung its only available pincher, hitting him in his midsection and sending Ayato flying into one of the abandoned buildings.

*Crash*

There was a bit of dust and debris flying in the air, and Ayato lay in the hole that he had just created on the side of the building with his body while groaning.

"Ok, that really hurts." "Like that really really hurts."

The witch moved its long black crab legs one by one, slowly approaching the downed Ayato in a manner similar to a hunter stalking its prey.

It stretched out its 8-foot long crab pincer at Ayato, who rolled out of the way before the pincher could close on his body, therefore cutting it in half.

Without hesitation, he performed a somewhat quick step that amputated one of the witch's eight crab legs, causing the creature to stumble a bit. However, before Ayato could gather himself for another attack, the crab-like witch launched a kick that was similar to poking something. Ayato barely had time to react, so he braced for impact by attempting to block with his blade, but the sharp tip of the witch's crab leg still managed to pierce his abdomen.

Ayato coughed up bright red blood which splattered on the barren ground and looked downwards at the 4 inch wide and 2 inch deep hole in his stomach before falling to his knees.

Avrora said, "Ayato, you better get up before you die. I would help, but you know the story with the no powers, so yeahhh." 

Ayato attempted to rally himself to his feet, but he couldn't find the strength to do so.

The witch's crab pincher hovered right over him.

He thought to himself, "So this is how I die." I always imagined it would be on a beach surrounded by 2 or 3 beautiful women as a humongous tidal wave crashed into me. I guess we'll have to save that type of death for my next life."

He closed his eyes and was ready to accept his fate.

A voice said, "Three Point Execution."

Ayato opened his eyes to see a stranger in front of him and the witch split into three pieces.

The stranger crouched down and said, "You look like shit."

Ayato mustered up the strength to say, "Well, excuse me for having a hole in my stomach." as he slowly got to his feet.

He trained his eyes on the stranger and realized that it was a student from his law class. Sayuri Jo. She was dressed in black soft pants, a white dress shirt, and a gunmetal grey tie. In her right hand she held a golden rapier. Her spirit crest took the form of a rose choker around her neck.

Sayuri observed Ayato and said, "Oh, you're that guy from my class who's friends with the short, weird guy."

Ayato sighed, "I have a name, you know."

"Hey, Ayato, "Are you OK?" asked Avrora as she rushed over to see him.

Yeah, I think I am fine. For some reason, the wound is healing."

Avrora poked him in the wound and replied, "Yeah, one of the abilities of a vassal is to heal from a certain degree of wounds. Please don't go and get your head cut off because that's an instant death and also lost limbs don't regrow."

"First off, ouch, that hurt, and secondly, thanks for the late remainder."

Sayuri observed their interaction and said, "He's a recent vassal."

"Yeah, he is. So far he's been a pain to deal with." 

Sayuri's eyes opened wide as if she had just realized something important, and she swung her rapier at Avrora, but Ayato managed to parry it with his own weapon.

She then disappeared and appeared on the right side of Ayato, delivering a swift kick to the face that sent him spinning in that same direction.

Sayuri then pointed the end of her blade at Avrora's throat and said, "Lady of the Wraith. You are to be detained and tried for your crimes 500 years ago."

Avrora said, "Welp." while having both her arms raised.

Meanwhile, Ayato lay flat on his back and said to himself, "What the hell is going on?

 

1