Chapter 19-Androma Pass
155 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Located in the Northernmost part of the Schlumtas Kingdom, the first thing people saw while looking in the direction of Androma Pass was not the establishments themselves, but a huge mountain range.

 

The city was erected right next to the Evergreen mountain range. The city was quite large, but it was like a small boulder compared to this mountain range, like a little boat in the middle of a vast ocean.

 

Androma Pass was tastefully simple and architecturally unadorned. It seemed to have experienced the weathering of countless years but still stood strong.

 

As the name of the city implied, Androma Pass was a mountain pass. It was built to stop and fend off any magic beast that roamed too close to the kingdom. It was one of the most significant forts of the Schlumtas Kingdom.

 

The soldiers who resided in the city were assigned the tasks of maintaining surveillance and launching a counteroffensive on any magic beast that came from the Evergreen Mountain range.

 

They were there for the sake of protecting the people of the Schlumtas Kingdom from any beast tides.

 

The northern walls of Androma Pass were many times larger than any other city walls. Not only was it a line of defense, but it also symbolized the line that separated the territory of humans from the magic beasts along with other humanoid creatures.

 

Though Androma Pass was considered a military base, that didn't mean it was only inhabited by soldiers.

 

On the contrary, there was a considerable amount of regular citizens and thousands of hunters residing within the city.

 

As matter of fact, the biggest and bustling Hunter Guild of the Schlumtas Kingdom was located in Androma Pass. And the main reason for that was the magic beasts.

 

Aside from the demon race, Magic beasts were considered the greatest threat to the human race. However, in the eyes of the hunters, magic beasts were equivalent to’ magic crystals’ which in turn were equivalent to ‘wealth’ or ‘shortcuts’ in training.

 

Training without any external help was extremely difficult and tiresome for any warriors or mages. Hence, objects and items that could speed up the rate of training were highly desired by all.

 

While Mana stones were also shortcuts in training, they were limited in number and hard to obtain for several reasons.

 

First, they were buried in the ground, meaning one would have to mine them out. Second, the majority of mana stone mines were owned by powerful noble families and royal families, meaning commoners like them were unable to dip their fingers into the pot.

 

However, magic crystals were different. They belonged to no one but the ones who could kill magic beasts. As long as a person could kill a magic beast, the magic crystal was theirs to take. With a magic crystal in hand, they could increase their training for half the effort or even sell it.

 

Moreover, the magic crystals weren’t the only important drops from a magic beast. The body of a magic beast itself contained many other potential uses. Every part of its body could be used in some capacity or be traded for something of equal value.

 

Besides those things, the Evergreen mountain range still had a plethora of natural resources such as rare medicines and grass that could rival magic crystals in value.

 

All in all, while the Evergreen mountain range was dangerous beyond belief, its allure was enough to override many hunters’ fear.

 

Whether it was for the sake of training, treasure, adventure, or even a magic beast to partner with or tame, the Evergreen mountain range was without a doubt the best place to be.

 

...............................

 

The Hunter’s Guild was located at the heart of Androma Pass. It was an extremely huge building that resembled a castle.

 

Just like its outer appearance, the interior of the building was extremely large with plenty of tables for patrons to sit at.

 

People came in groups or by themselves, but they would all come from the counter, inquiring about a service or requesting one to be done.

 

Of all the services to be had, the hunter guild’s most highly used service was the mission board.

 

Whether it be magic crystals, magic beast cubs, magic beasts eggs, or even precious resources, any hunters, regular citizens, or merchants that were either too weak or too lazy to look for themselves could put a request on the mission board.

 

As long as the requested service was carried out, a reward of equal value would be given. It was through this mission board that bounty hunters or mercenary groups could flourish and earn their keep.

 

The Androma hunter guild's main hall was always bustling with activities and enshrouded by a jovial atmosphere. However today, it was struck by the most unusual solemn air.

 

Even though the main hall was currently filled with hunters, it was draped over by a blanket of silence. The entire guild was silent and everyone had a solemn expression on their faces.

 

For a while, nobody spoke. Then someone said.” So, in the end, even after two weeks, no one was able to kill the mysterious magic beast that caused the abnormality in the outer layer.”

 

Like a chain reaction, other hunters became speak and voiced their concerns and expressed their opinions as well.

 

“So far, more than fifteen hunters have died in just two weeks in the outer layer. They were all eaten with only their bones remaining.”Said a chubby hunter with a solemn tone.

 

“Not only that, but the amount of low-level magic beasts in the outer layer has also greatly decreased. Just like the hunters, they seemed to be killed and eaten as well.” Another hunter added.

 

“The outer layer has become so dangerous now that not even Silver Rank hunters have the confidence of coming out alive.”

 

Though none have them have seen that mysterious magic beast causing mayhem in the outer layer, they all came to the same conclusion. They all believed that it was caused by a powerful magic beast from the inner layer.

 

However, two things were bugging them. Usually, when a powerful magic beast from the inner layer came to the outer layer, it only stayed for two or three days before it went back to its territory. But it’s already been two weeks and that mysterious magic beast still hasn't left yet.

 

Another thing that was bugging them was the pile of magic beasts' bones left behind by that mysterious magic beast. When a powerful magic beast came from the inner area to the outer area, they don't go on a killing spree.

 

Unless a low-level magic beast provoke them, they didn't bother to attack them. Also, when low-level magic beasts encountered a powerful high-level magic beast, they would run away as far as possible, not attack them.

 

However, this mysterious magic beast not only went on a killing spree and hunted other magic beasts, but it even ate them whole like a hungry ghost, leaving only their bones behind. This has never happened before.

 

When killing another magic beast, a magic beast usually ate the magic crystals of the slayed magic beast. It was very rare for them to eat another magic beast. And even when they did, they only ate part of it and left the whole corpse. However, this mysterious magic beast ate them clean.

 

“Did you guys hear about the case of people being eaten in the ancient ruined city two weeks ago before it was closed to the public by the Schlumtas Kingdom, do you think it's the same magic beast?”Suddenly said the chubby hunter.

 

Upon hearing the chubby hunter’s words, almost all the hunters in the main hall suddenly had a look of enlightenment in their eyes.

 

“There’s a high possibility it's the same magic beast because right after that mysterious magic beast had disappeared from the ancient ruined city, the abnormality of the outer layer began.”

 

“Furthermore, all of the victims were killed and eaten in the same way.” Answered another hunter.

 

“I think we need to report this to the guild master.” Said the chubby hunter with a solemn expression on his face after hearing the explanation of his comrades. He had the feeling that this case wasn't as simple as it seemed.

 


6