The Church and New Goal.
396 1 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As Asta and Mordred walked to the church she kept looking around at the vast use of magic users. Everyone around them used magic in their everyday lives which was very different from what she grew to know. Magic was something to be used by people who both had the talent and the legacy.

That started to cause some questions as if random peasants could have access to magic what did that mean for the nobles and royals? It did get her heart pumping in excitement about the possible fights she could get into.

Asta noticed how her face was pulled back into a large grin. Something must have made her happy so he took it as a good thing. He also noticed how she did not have her own grimoire so he explained about that.

"Everyone is born with magic and when they become 15 they can acquire their own grimoire. The ceremony happens once every year where people who are of age can acquire their own. The next one will be in one will go to acquire theirs. How old are you Mordred?"

That made her pause as she was a homunculus. She aged faster than she looked as she was barely 10, but had the mental and physical age of a 16-year-old. So she decided to use that as her age. Better than saying she was 9 years old.

"16."

"Oh, then you can get your grimoire at any time. If you miss the mass ceremony you can stop by the clock tower to claim your grimoire. I can take you there if you want as missing the mass ceremony won't stop you from getting your destined grimoire."

She thought about it before she decided against it.

"Nah, I will just go when you and everyone else go. I want to see this ceremony and see what the big deal is."

Mordred did not think much of it, but she was the child of King Arthur and Morgan. Two very talented people so she was curious what she would get. As she was pondering on that they reached the church where most of the inhabitants were outside.

Most of them were children, with the exception of the black-haired tall guy. He was wind magic to dust some sheets. Mordred crossed her arms as she looked at Asta.

"So this is the church you live at.

"Yup, ever since I was a baby, I am never lonely. Sister Lily and Father Orsi always look after us. Not to mention all the other orphans who are my family. That big guy is Yuno, my rival. More like my brother, but don't tell him that."

Mordred's face changed when she heard about the word family.

'My father rejected me and my mother manipulated me. Must be nice.'

She was snapped out of her daydreaming when she heard someone call out to Asta.

"Welcome back Asta."

It was a young woman in the garb of a church or something. Mordred noticed how Asta ran to the woman with stars in his eyes.

"MARRY ME SISTER LILY!"

Mordred looked at him like an idiot.

'I knew he was dumb.'

"I am sorry, but no Asta."

"I WON'T GIVE UP! I will become the Wizard King and come back to marry you."

Before Asta could react a giant fist of water smashed him down to the ground. Seeing that made her earlier theory true.

"So you do get your ass kicked regularly."

Sister Lily turned to look at Mordred who was still in full armor. By now it had fully mended itself to its pristine condition. Sister Lily smiled at Mordred.

"Nice to meet you. I noticed you were walking with Asta earlier. Can we help you?"

Asta got up from the ground with little trouble as he explained to Mordred.

"When I went to the giant demon skull she jumped down in front of me to talk. She was going to stay out in the skull, but I felt bad so I decided to invite her here. I hope that is not a problem."

Just then Father Orsi came out of the church and shook his head.

"Not at all, if she needs a place to stay she is more than welcome to stay. We are a church after all and who would we be to reject someone in need."

Mordred sighed as now that her helmet was off everyone would be calling her a girl. She better get used to it as that was what everyone was going to see her as one.

"Thank you for your hospitality."

Father Orsi shook his head.

"It is no problem. I am Father Orsi, and this is Sister Lily. The loud one is Asta and this here is Yuno. This is Nash by the way.

Mordred agreed with their loud comment about Asta. A little girl no older than 5 ran up to Mordred and hugged her leg.

"Your pretty."

Mordred's face turned a little red at the compliment as when she wore her helmet the kids ran.

"Thank you. What is your name?"

"Arlu."

Mordred placed her down as the kid named Nash ooked at her.

"Are you a Magic Knight Noble or something? That armor looks expensive and so do those two swords on your back.

Sister Lily got on to him though.

"Nash, don't be rude."

"Sorry Sister Lily."

Mordred thought about ti for a second before not.

"I am not a Magic Knight, but I am a Noble. Just not of this kingdom I guess. No, I am not even a noble as my kingdom collapsed so I guess I am just a commoner as well."

They all looked at her with different levels of surprise. Hearing she was a noble was a surprise, but it also raised questions. There were only 4 kingdoms in the surroundings so it must be far. If that was the case how did she get here?

Asta was the first to ask.

"A fallen kingdom. Where was it?"

Mordred shrugged.

"Beats me. I was in a fight and just as I lost I appeared on that skull. Magic or something so it could totally be on another continent for all I know. It does not matter in reality as I will never see it again anyway. Not that I want to see it anyway."

She put down Arlu as she got to thinking.

'Am I really in my same world or did some magic actually send me to another world?'

Asta smiled.

"Well I want to hear that story."

Yuno sighed as he looked at Asta.

"She just said she does not want to see it again or even think about it. Have some class. No wonder women hate you."

Asta ran up to Yuno and began his annoying screaming again.

"SHUT UP PRETTY BOY! FIGHT ME!"

"No."

Father Orsi began to cry proud tears.

"Such a good boy Yuno is the hope of our church."

Mash nodded.

"He has the chance to become a Magic Knight, unlike Asta."

Asta grit his teeth as he pointed at Nash

"I can do it too."

Mash raised his finger where a small flame appears.

"I can use magic and you can't. Even I have more hope to enter the Magic Knights than you."

Mordred shrugged.

"Kid has a point Asta. Magic Knight has the word magic and if you can't use magic how can you be one?"

Asta was not one to quit though.

"IF I CAN'T USE MAGIC I WILL USE MY MUSCLES!"

He began to do rapid pushups as everyone watched. Mordred could kind of relate to Asta being told she could never be something was not nice. Mordred nodded as she felt this might he something worth doing.

"Alright, have you ever used a sword Asta?"

He got up and shook his head.

"No, why?"

She walked up to him and bonked him on the head making him hold it.

"OW! What was that for?"

Yuno answered for him.

"She is telling you if you can't use magic use a sword instead. Do something with that freakish strength of yours."

Asta held his head as Mordred nodded.

"If you just used your brain more you could have figured that out on your own."

Orsi patted Asta on the shoulder.

"She does have a point, Asta."

Nash nodded.

"Totaly right."

Arlu agreed.

"Yeah."

Asta fell to the ground metaphysically wounded at the mass betrayal. Sister Lily walked up to Mordred with a smile.

"Come inside. I will get some clothes for you as you can't wear that armor all day."

Mordred looked down and waved her off.

"Oh, this is Magic Armor. I can take it off at command."

She did just that and showed what she was wearing underneath. A pair of short shots, a red coat, and a white bra. She did a spin as she was not wearing this before she died.

"Hey, this is new."

She looked at her red jacket which she liked a lot.

"Awesome."

She zipped it up and noticed how Sister Lily was looking at her with worry.

"Do you need a change of clothes? I can get you something more concealing."

"Nah, this is fine. I need something that does not get in the way of my armor and my wild fighting style. Plus, I don't plan to stay long. I think I will try to become a magic knight as it is something to do."

Orsi nodded.

"That is great. You look at Asta and Yuno's age and the ceremony is in a week. Until then, you can take this church as your home."

"Thanks, old man." '

Oris touched his face before looking at the kids.

"Old man? Do I look old?"

Nash nodded.

"You got white hairs so yeah."

Narulu ran to his arms.

"Grandpa."

Asta got up and laughed at him.

"Old man, old man, old man."

Yuno shook his head at how annoying they all could be.

'Why are they all like this?'

He did secretly smile at how fun it was to be around such noisy people. He would never admit it though. Mordred walked up to the firewood and karate chopped it in half. Asta who was watching ran over and got his own.

"I can do it too."

He raised his hand and chopped it down only to turn the firewood into wood chips. She patted him on the shoulder.

"I guess you can't."

She left him alone as he kept doing this to prove that he could do it as well. She helped around with any random chores that needed to do, but magic made it so there were not many. An hour later she was just sitting up in a tree thinking about everything that had just happened.

"I guess becoming a Magic Knight will be a good way to get paid and fight strong people. Money is also needed so I guess I have no choice."

She materialized Excalibur and held the sword in her hands like it was fragile. She held the sword vertically in front of her face just as she rested her forehead on the blade.

'Father. I am sorry.'

Tears threatened to leave her eyes before she was distracted.

"Hey, Mordred. Foods ready."

She wiped her eyes as she looked down to see Asta. She dematerialized Excalibur and leaped down from the tree. Asta looked at that with wonder.

"Do you like jumping from high places or something?"

Mordred thought about it as she did find it fun.

"A little, you shouldn't try it though."

Asta looked at the tree and how she had walked toward the church. When he thought she was not looking he started to climb the three. She turned around and saw him climbing up the tree.

"If you break your legs you won't be able to go to the ceremony."

He stopped and got down.

"Fine, but not because you told me."

She rolled her eyes as they both entered the church to eat. It ended up being potatoes that were extremely dry. They were filling yes, but they did not have much flavor. One had to drink water after eating a lot of them as it dried out your throat.

That night she slept in Sister Lily's room as Sister Lily did not think it right for a young woman to sleep with a bunch of boys. She only had a week to see if she could acquire her grimoire or something so she was quite curious about it.

17