The Magic Knight Entrance Exam.
357 0 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The trip was just as long as Mordred thought it would be which was expected. She could not run forever as even she would tire out before that so they did what they could. Yuno trained his magic with his grimoire. He had a staggering amount of magic and only through training could he perfect it.

Mordred spared with him to help him feel a sense of danger as she did not shy away from hurting them. Yuno was all for it and he just seemed to learn from what she taught him. However on the way she did learn something new about her new magic grimoire.

Not only did it make her Noble Phantasms stronger, but she could also feel that she might even be able to summon new ones. So far she had not summoned any new ones, but she had felt more and more flashes of ideas appear in her mind.

As for Asta she had been drilling him hard as if he was a Knight of the Roundtable. Any normal man would have given up or cried for Mercy, but not Asta. He pushed past any of the rough training she forced him to undergo.

He had even begun to try to imitate Mordred's wild berserker-like style, but he lacked her overwhelming physical strength. Either way, they had finally arrived at the capital just as the Magic Knight entrance exam was starting.

Mordred was currently wearing her armor with Excalibur at her hip and Clarent on her back. She was being looked at because heavy armor like that was not common at all. Plus she was walking with two obvious commoners as they were looking at the grand city with eyes full of wonder.

As for Mordred, she observed how everyone was using magic in some way. Their were stalls everywhere in the city where people used magic to show off some items to sale and even magic artifact sells which were mostly scams. She could feel they had limited magic so she was not drawn to them.

Asta's eyes shinned like he saw heaven.

"So big and so many people."

He ran to a side store and was shocked by the price of a random piece of equipment.

"So expensive."

Mordred walked next to him and saw the price tag for a magic jewel.

"3,800,000 Yul? For this crappy stone? People must be idiots to buy this."

Yuno was curious.

"What makes you say that?"

She pointed at the jewel.

"Well, this has magic in it. I believe it is used as a catalyst for staff and wands, but it is honestly super overpriced as a scam. Because of my genetic lineage, I can tell you what is valuable and what is trash. All this here is just trash."

Yuno felt that was a godsend.

"You can see magic?"

She nodded.

"My father had the heart of a dragon which acts like a Magic Core. it generates magic nearly endlessly as long as you live. I have the same in my chest, but mine is weaker than my father's. As such, I can technically see the value of artifacts by how much magic they have.

Asta's sword is a treasure while this is trash."

Yuno and Asta looked at her in shock. Dragons were told in myth and legend as unstable forces of raw power and magic. That made Yuno think about something.

"You are saying you can find good artifacts amongst trash?"

She nodded.

"Yup."

"You could find cheap good treasures and sell them for more. This is a gold mine."

Mordred grinned.

"Good idea, but we better get going. Otherwise, we will be late."

Both Asta and Yuno agreed.

"Right."

The three of them began to walk toward where the exam was going to take place with Asta stopping to look around the place. Mordred kept her eyes and senses peeled for any potential threat, but so far nothing. She had more magic than all the citizens as they did not have much anyway.

But every now than then she would see a noble who had way more magic than the citizens.

'So, commoners have weak magic, but there are a lot of them. Nobles have powerful magic, but there are not many of them. There is an odd balance here.'

Suddenly Asta noticed an old lady who was selling very cheap roasted snakes. Mordred eyes were locked on the old lady who had a massive mana pool. However, when she looked more closely she could tell that the old lady's look was only a disguise.

The  'Old Lady' who was the Wizard King noticed Mordred's squinted eyes and he too could feel her power.

'She is strong and she can sense me. Interesting.'

Asta oblivious to this walked up to the Wizard King as he was hungry.

"I want one of those snakes."

"Sure."

The Wizard King got the snake and sold it to Asta for cheap. Asta ran back to Yuno and Mordred who began to walk away. Yuno turned to Mordred who was glaring at the old woman.

"What is wrong?"

"That is no old lady. Whoever it was was in magic disguise, but they were quite skilled at it."

Asta turned and noticed how the Wizard King was gone. Julius had teleported away and sighed in relief.

"That girl is so interesting. That armor and those swords were rolling in mana. AWESOME!"

Asta looked at the snake in his hands worried.

"Is this cursed?"

Mordred looked at it and shook her head.

"No, it's just a snake."

"Phew."

He ended up still eating it on the way to the colosseum where the examination was going to be. There was a giant crowd already as every young mage usually hoped to join the Magic Knights. A way to gain glory, rise above your status, and protect the kingdom.

Some Nobles and Commoners who lived in the capital came to see their children and waved them off. Asta was going to embarrass them again so Mordred grabbed his head and began to crush it.

"Don't embarrass us."

"I WASN'T!"

Yuno just smiled.

"Thank you for that, you save our reputations."

That hurt more than Mordred's grip-like strength. When they got in line she was still the one getting the attention for the armor. Not many people wore armor as thick and heavy as hers and moves like it was light as air.

She dropped Asta who rose to his head as his skull had gotten tougher as she had done this during the journey. He rubbed his head in pain as the line moved ahead quickly. Magic made organization and speed quick so it was soon Mordred's turn.

She materialized her grimoire and showed it to the guy. When he saw the Four Leaf Clover he was shocked and not to mention all the images on it of weapons, armor, and even the figure of a dragon on the back.

(Image here)

"A Four Leaf!"

He said it out loud so everyone turned her way.

"So she is one of the two commoners who got Four Leaf grimoires?"

She glared at the noble who said that which made him imagine a dragon was standing behind her. Mordred looked at the guy who was in charge of this.

"Hurry it up already. I don't have all day."

"Right, your number is 162."

She walked inside while Yuno got number 163, and Asta got 164. Inside was already a large gathering of commoners and nobles waiting for the examination to start. As she was inside before Yuno and Asta she noticed that some people were being bothered by strange black and red birds.

There were zero birds around her as they all felt her overwhelming magic power coming from her Magic Core. She glanced around looking at all the potential recruits and found some people with quite a bit of magic.

It could not compare at all to that disguised mage from earlier, but she did not look down on them. People began to focus on her as she had zero Anti Birds around her.

"Look at that girl. She has zero of them around her."

"What is with the armor? How much would it cost to make that? Look at the swords, they look so awesome."

Some Noble girls scoffed.

"Only men wear armor. A lady should not wear such boorish clothes."

Mordred treated them all like air as she noticed Yuno enter. He too had zero birds around him so he walked to her.

"You ready Mordred?"

"Ready as I will ever be."

Just then they heard a laughing voice of Asta.

"This is where it all starts. Our journey to become the Wizard King."

Both Yuno and Mordred turned to look and noticed Asta. He was totally swarmed with Magic Birds and they were biting and pecking him like crazy.

People looked at him like he was a fool.

"Are you serious?"

"Look at all the birds? He must have no magic at all."

"Why did he even bother?"

Mordred and Yuno watched him as he began to scream in pain.

"OW! OW! WHY!?"

He began to run away to try to escape the birds that were bullying him. Mordred was laughing the whole time as she expected this to occur when he found out what the birds did. She watched as Asta ran into a giant black-haired man.

He was smoking and when Asta got near him the birds ran away. Mordred raised an eyebrow at this guy.

'Now this is a swordsman, look at those muscles. He makes Asta look like a regular kid and his magic is huge.'

Mordred wanted to have a spar with his guy, but Asta was currently dealing with him.

"Hey, thanks for the help."

Yami turned around and glared at him.

"You got a death wish boy?"

She did not expect him to do what he did next. Asta patted him on the shoulder.

"You look really old for being our age. You must have had a rough life."

"PFFF!"

Mordred held her gut as what Yami did next was just what she would do. He grabbed Asta by the hand and began to crush down.

"Killing you now."

"OWWWW! WHY ME!"

Yuno looked at Yami and then at Mordred.

"Hey, looks like that really works to get him to focus."

Asta grabbed Yami's wrist and flexed his muscles to try to push him off. Yami raised an eyebrow as he found Asta's skull to be quite thick. Mordred walked toward them both to talk to him.

Before she could do that some blonde guy spoke first.

"There you are Yami. You need to hurry up, the event is about to begin. What are you even doing?"

"Just killing this brat."

"We can't have a Magic Knight captain killing an examinee. What are you even doing down here?"

"I came to take a dump and got lost."

Just then Mordred came next to Yami and patted him on his shoulder.

"Huh?"

"Hey, I got a question?"

Yami noticed her swords, magic, and stance meaning this girl was a Magic Swordman like him and she had seen real combat. Quite a lot of combat.

"What is it?"

"What squad are you from?"

"The Black Bulls. You want to join?"

She nodded.

"If you pass."

"SAVE ME MORDRED!"

Yami looked at Asta and back to Mordred.

"You know this kid?"

She shook her head.

"Nope never met him."

"WHY!"

Just then Finral walked up to Mordred and took her hands which already pissed her off.

"Why is a delicate rose like you in such heavy armor?"

Yami felt from her KI she just got super pissed off. She snatched her hands out of his and grabbed his head like Yami. Just then Finral started screaming as Yami watched. He even laughed as he looked at her.

"If you pass you got a spot in the Black Bulls. Can you let my ride live though? He is super useful."

"Sure."

She dropped Finral who held his head in pain.

'Is she Yami's long-lost daughter or something? Her grip is insane.'

Yami, Finral, and Gordon began to walk away which left Asta and Mordred behind. Asta had gotten used to it so he just shook his head.

"That was scary."

"You should be more afraid of me."

Just the fireworks began to fire into the sky which singled the start of the exam. Sekke approached Asta to talk, but Mordred had already left to go to the front. She had her focus by the 9 Magic Knight captains.

They all had magic comparable to Yami, so they all got their attention. The big guy in purple however was more of a sham compared to the others as his magic was nowhere as advanced as the rest.

'What up with him?'

Suddenly one more mage who was wearing a strange mask walked in. The crowd went wild at the sight of the guy which made her look at him more closely.

'Strange, he feels like two people.'

Captain Vangence raised his grimoire and spoke.

"Welcome examinees, I am Captain William Vangence and I shall administer today's examination."

His grimoire flipped open as magic flowed from him masterfully.

"Magic Trees decent."

The sky began to fill with storm clouds which made Mordred grin excited to see what else this world would show her. From the sky, a giant tree began to decent and approach each examinee to give them a broom.

When she held her broom she was confused.

"Huh?"

"In just a few moments we will begin the first in a series of tests. We the Magic Knight Captains will be your judges. Once that is said and done we will decide who we want for our squads. If you are selected by more than one squad you may choose. If you are not chosen it means you have failed.

Your first test is to use the broom in your hands to fly. You may begin."

Mordred placed the broom on the ground and stepped on it. Mana wrapped around her legs as she rose to the sky as she was not about to sit on a broom. Yuno had the same idea and very soon they were the only ones in the sky before they were followed by the nobles.

Then were the commoners with some talent while Asta was obviously left behind. The captains were drawn by Mordred and Yuno as already many of the squads wanted both. They were Four Leaf Clover holders after all, but Mordred had already chosen in her mind.

Yami looked like a good sparring partner and looked to be the least noblish. She disliked nobles so that was a win. The next test was to use raw magic to smash a target. Mordred just waved her hand and destroyed the target with ease.

For magic control, they had to make a piece of magic repelling paper float, but she and Yuno made it fly like a bird. For the creation magic test, she raised her hand and formed a giant dragon made of red lightning that roared with power.

That truly drew in the gaze of the captains at her creation which looked alive.  Yuno wanting to match up created a giant eagle made of wind magic and they made their creations roar at each other for show.

The next test was to use your Magic to cause a seed to grow. When she sent her magic into the seed it sprouted into a giant tree with steel-like bark and swords for leaves. It showed her mentality as a knight and the whole thing crackled with red lightning.

At the very end, was going to be a combat test which she was ready for. Sadly no one seemed to want to fight her as they had seen just how strong she was. It did not matter anyway as she had already aced every test so she just sat down to watch.

This was the fun show she wanted  to see.

12