Chapter 41: Interviews
307 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As soon as we asked who wanted to go first with the final interviews for joining the familia William stepped forward.

"Hello." I said. "My name is Morax Lapis, and I am the captain of the Athena familia." I spoke to William. Looking at his face to gauge his reaction as I did so.

Since if he has an issue with me being captain just because I am younger than him then I will automatically disqualify him from being part of the familia. No matter what anyone else says.

I have no time to deal with such petty bullshit.

Not when I am responsible for the lives of my fellow familia members due to the trust they decided to place in me to lead them.

"I see." William said. His facial expression not changing in the slightest. "Well then, nice to meet you." He said.

"The same." I said. "So then, why do you want to join our familia?" I asked him.

No point in beating around the bush after all.

"I want to be an adventurer." William responded.

As he did so I gave him a deadpan stare. "I know that. I am asking you why you want to join our familia?"

"Truth is I'm not really a fan of a lot of people, and I've seen how some of the gods act since coming to Orario a few weeks ago. Basically, their behavior disgust me." William said, a grimace on his face.

One that I can understand.

Some of the gods I've seen around Orario not mentioned in the original story truly disgust me as well. That's why I try to avoid them at all cost.

Otherwise I might do something I regret.

"So I asked around, and have only heard good things about the Athena familia. That's why I want to join you guys." William said. "Besides, I'm sure my archery skills would serve the group well." He said, a bit of a smug grin on his face as he did so.

"I see." Athena said. "Well thank you for sharing William." She said. "That concludes the interview but before the next person comes up to speak does anyone have any questions for William?"

"Yes." Ryuu spoke up. "Do you have an issue with me?" She bluntly asked him.

'Oh, Ryuu!' I thought. Wanting to chastise her the moment she spoke up.

Although her straightforwardness is one of her best qualities, it is also one of her qualities that can makes things difficult in certain situations.

Like right now.

I was going to talk to William about the frown he gave her later in private if we decided to accept him into the familia. But now thanks to our resident fairy-faced elf that idea has just been yeeted out the window.

The moment Ryuu spoke up William looked directly at her. "No, no problem with you particularly at all." He told her. Grumbling a bit as he did so.

"It doesn't sound like you mean what you just said." Ryuu spoke.

'Oh no.' I thought. This situation feels like its about to from awkward to bad any second now.

Seeing this I moved to stop it, only for Athena to look at me and shake her in a no motion.

I wanted to question her, but decided not to and instead trust her. So I didn't move from my spot. No matter how much I want to right now.

"Tch. Typical elf." William muttered.

"What do you mean?" Ryuu asked, a bit of anger in her voice as she did so.

"What do I mean?" William questioned. "I am talking about your high and mighty attitude of course." He said, causing Ryuu's eyes to widen for a moment. "All of your pure-blooded elves are all the same. Always thinking your better than everyone else, even us who have human blood. Well I'm tired of it!" He said. "That's why I'm going to become an adventurer and reach the very top. That show you pure-bloods a thing or two."

Silence descended in the room as William finished speaking. You can hear a pin drop right now. The tension is also becoming thicker as the seconds go by.

Glancing at Athena I saw she still didn't make any moves to do anything at all about what just happened, so I decided to keep following her lead.

Hoping that I am making the right choice by doing so.

"Tell me, do you hate me?" Ryuu asked William after a few minutes passed.

"I don't hate you." He responded.

And I can tell he is being truthful.

"I see." Ryuu said. "Then if that is the case can I have the chance to show you that not all pure-blood elves look down on other races and half-bloods?" She asked him.

When she did so William widened his eyes in shock. He probably never expected a pure-blood elf to say such a thing, but Ryuu is not a normal elf like most who come to Orario to become adventurers.

I don't know what William has experienced in his life with elves up until now but I hope he's open to change.

"Sure." William said. "So, how about we start right now. Kindly take off your mask please?" He asked her.

Sine right now Ryuu is wearing her mask.

Once William asked her question a moment passed without Ryuu saying anything. Then she reached up and pulled down her mask with little hesitation, revealing her face for everyone to see.

"My name is Ryuu Lion, a pleasure." She said. Showing a smile as she did so.

Seeing this William once again became speechless, and he's not the only one. The other applicants are mesmerized by Ryuu's face as well.

But that's to expected, since she is a top grade beauty.

"Thank you." William said. He then slightly bowed his head. "Also sorry, sometimes I can get a bit heated." He told us, raising his head up after he did so.

"It is fine." Athena said. "So then, will the next candidate please step forward?"

When she did so William stepped back and Diluc stepped up.

"Hello. My name is Diluc Ragnvindr." He said.

"Greetings Diluc." I said. "So then, why do you wish to join our familia?"

"I wish to protect the innocent. And I heard you all do that, is it true?" He asked me.

"Yes." I said.

When we're not training, resting, or dungeon diving we regularly go around Orario and patrol the streets. Dealing with criminals and other scum as we do.

We're not as good as the Ganesha familia or the Astrea familia but we do all right.

Honestly at first we only had the goal of fighting Evilus, but after seeing other people in the same situation as Rogue and his mother we all came to the decision we couldn't just sit back and watch shit like that happen.

So since we have the power to do something about it we are.

Simple as that.

"Excellent." Diluc said. "It's rare to find people who will stand up for others no questions asked. And that is why I wish to join you." He said.

"Ok. But you know we simply don't keep innocents safe. We are an exploration-type familia that has the goal of reaching the deepest parts of the dungeon some day." I explained to Diluc.

"I am also fine with that." Diluc said, a glint appearing in his eyes as he said.

"Ok then." Athena said. "That concludes the interview. Any questions for Diluc?"

No one spoke up.

"Next please." Athena said.

As she did so Diluc stepped back and then Echidna stepped up.

The strange smile from before still on her face.

"My, what a diverse group you have here." Echidna spoke up. "Humans, an elf, chienthrope, and even two cat people. Yes, you are quite the interesting familia." She mused. "Fufufu, interesting indeed."

As Echidna's smile got wider as she muttered to herself I put a wry smile on my face. Ignoring the strange laughter coming from her.

"Yes, we are diverse as you said." I spoke up. Which caused Echidna to look directly at me.

Her black eyes staring directly into my mine.

This is probably going to give me a nightmare or two but whatever.

"So Echidna, why do you wish to join us?" I asked her. "I mean you are already a level two, and I'm sure there are more prominent familia's that would take you in, so why us?"

"Well, it's because I want to have some excitement." Echidna told me.

"Sorry, come again?" I asked her.

"Excitement." Echidna repeated, placing a hand on her cheek as she did so. "The excitement that come with facing death on almost a daily basis. Back home in Altena I never got tp experience this. The Hecate familia was so big, and the monsters so weak it was easy for us to kill them. All too easy, and so damn boring. I got tired of that, and so I came to Orario to experience the rush of putting my life on the line. The pure ecstasy that comes with overcoming a dangerous situation. The feeling of knowing I can die at any moment if I am not careful. Ah, I want to experience it!" Echidna said.

As she went on her cheeks started getting pink and she started breathing heavily and weirdly as well.

'Oi, oi, oi!' I thought upon seeing this.

Just what kind of pervert is she?

Although she looks cute the outside obviously doesn't match the inside at all. Not one bit!

This girl sounds crazy from the way she is talking right now.

Glancing at the others I saw them all looking in any direction but at Echidna, even Diluc and William aren't looking at her right now.

The only ones that are are Athena and Ryner.

Seeing this I simply sighed and turned my gaze back to Echidna.

Who finally calmed down from her rant after I did so.

"Excuse me, I got a little excited there." Echidna said.

'A little.' I thought. But chose not to say anything. Since her whole act just now made the mood of he room a bit awkward.

"It's fine." I said. "Anyway, we heard what you said."

"Yes, we have." Athena added. "So with that that interviews are concluded." She stood up. "Give me and my familia members a few moments to discuss what we just heard amongst ourselves and we'll let you know if you are going to accept you or not."

Diluc, William, and Echidna nodded at Athena's words.

Once they did so she turned to the rest of us. "Now then, I need a volunteer to watch over these three."

"I'll do it." Millhiore said.

"Thank you Milli." Athena told her. "Now then, everyone else follow me." She said.

Athena then headed towards the stairs and the rest of us followed her.

Entering her room a few moments later.

As she took a seat on the bed we began discussions on whether we should let Diluc, William, and Echidna becoming part of our familia.

4