Chapter 46: Awakening
353 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Morax: POV)

Slowly but surely I opened my eyes.

Then I immediately closed them again due to the light I saw giving me a splitting headache as soon as I did so.

'Ok, let's not do that again.' I thought.

I waited a few moments for my headache to stop. Then once it did so I opened my eyes again.

But this time I did it slowly.

Which worked.

I was able to open my eyes without any issues.

Once I did I noticed I was inside of a tent.

I also noticed there was something in my left hand.

Turning my head I looked to see a hand holding my own. I then looked to see who the hand belonged too, and saw it was Ryuu.

She is currently lying next to me, sleeping soundly.

To say I'm surprised is an understatement.

Although I'm able to touch Ryuu I rarely do so. I don't want to make her uncomfortable, and she is still an elf with a lot of their values embedded into her.

So for her to be holding my hand, and sleeping next to me while doing so is just unbelievable since we are not lovers.

Yet that is.

As I tried to make sense of the situation I continued looking at Ryuu's sleeping face. She looks so peaceful and content.

Not like normal where she usually has the blank expression on her face.

I have to say, I like this image of her. Which is why I am currently burning into my brain for later.

Once I saved the image of Ryuu's sleeping face into my memories I attempted to slowly slip my hand out of her grasp and leave the tent.

But the moment I did this Ryuu's eyes shot open, and started staring into my own.

...

...

...

...

Neither of us said a word and just continued to look at each other.

This went on for five minutes until I finally decided to break the stalemate.

"So, looks like you're finally awake." I said. A cheeky grin on my face as I did so.

Ryuu didn't respond.

Instead she got red in the face like a tomato and immediately slipped her hand out of my grasp and turned her entire body to face the other direction.

"Am, Ryuu."

"Gah!!" She cried, hands on her face as she did so.

"Hey, Ryuu." I said again.

But her squeals of embarrassment only got louder.

Then before I knew it Ryuu was outside the tent faster than I could blink.

Her voice echoing back in a moment later.

"Morax is awake!" She shouted.

Then her voice completely faded.

A few moments after it did so the tent flap opened up and Leonmitchelli entered, a relieved smile on her face.

"Ah Morax thank goodness. You finally woke up." She said.

"Yeah." I said. "So, how long have I been asleep?" I asked her.

"Three days." Leonmitchelli answered.

"Three days huh." I mused. Not surprised at all.

After my dragonification ended I felt all my physical stamina along with all my mind completely gone right before I passed out.

That's the first time something like that has ever happened to me since becoming an adventurer. I felt like I was going to die.

Though I am glad that didn't happen.

Even so, this tells me I need to be careful when using that transformation again in the future. Because if me ended up exhausted like this happens every time I transform then dragonification will be my last resort.

Since it is literally a double-edged sword for me right now.

And speaking of, looks like I'm more like the original Morax than I thought.

Since I remember he could also transform into a dragon as well.

Though this poses an even bigger question.

I don't remember anyone in the original Danmachi series being able to transform into a dragon. Sure animal demi-humans can beastify, but again I never saw one transform into a dragon. So then, how can I and what does that make me?

As I pondered this I suddenly saw finger snapping in front of my face.

Getting out of my head I saw Leonmitchelli looking at me.

"Morax, you there?" She asked.

"Yeah, sorry." I said. "Just thinking about everything that's happened is all."

"Yeah, the same." Leonmitchelli said. "So, are you hungry?"

As soon as she asked me this I felt hunger. Along with the urge to use the restroom.

"Bathroom first, then food." I said.

Leonmitchelli nodded.

She then moved to help me up and get me outside the tent.

When we were I saw we were on the eighteenth floor in a campsite. I also saw everyone else.

Except for Ryuu.

As soon as everyone saw me they smiled, and I returned to the favor.

Then I immediately felt like I was going to pee on myself and quickly called Ryner over to help me into the woods so I could relieve myself.

Moving faster he came to help me and I managed to make it just in time.

I then returned to camp and was given a meal, getting an update on our situation as I did so.

So none of our members died.

Which lifted a weight off my chest.

The only serious injuries belong to Ryuu. Which have been taken care and treated.

After I passed out the others collected me, the Goliath magic stone and the drop item the Goliath Tooth and made their way here to the eighteenth floor. They then set up camp and have been watching over me ever since until I woke up.

Finishing my fifth bowl of beef stew I nodded.

"Thanks guys." I said.

"No problem." Ryner said. "You would have done the same for any of us."

I would, in a heartbeat.

"Yeah. I would." I said. "Also just curious, in case I hadn't woken up on my own what would've you have done?"

"If you didn't wake up within five days we agreed to move you back to the surface as fast as possible and then take you straight to the Dian Cecht familia." Leonmitchelli informed me.

I nodded.

Because given what I experienced I would've wanted a doctor to look at me as well. And the Dian Cecht familia has the best healers in Orario.

I still might go to them once we return topside.

After I talk to Athena about the situation first.

Since this is something she definitely needs to know about, and that others outside the familia cannot.

I don't want to think how many gods would try to forcefully recruit me if they knew what I could do. Conversely some people might try and kill me.

Like Ais, since she has a hate-boner for anything dragon related given what happened to her parents.

Until I understand what happened to me I need to tread very carefully.

"So Morax let me ask, what was with that transformation?" Echidna spoke.

Saying the question on everyone's mind.

"Honestly I have no idea." I told her. "I really don't. But that's the first thing I'm going to ask Athena about once we return to the surface. Until then, what happened to me doesn't leave the familia."

Everyone nodded at my words.

Once they did so I started looking around but didn't see Ryuu anywhere.

"So, where's Ryuu?" I asked her.

"In her tent." Diluc answered.

"Yeah." William added. "After she told us you were awake she went in there and hasn't come out. Her face was also a bit red too. It was really weird." He said. "Do you think we should check on her?"

"I'm sure she's fine." I said.

Since I know she's only like that because she's embarrassed about holding my hand.

But if I tell the others that Ryuu might die of embarrassment so for now I'll keep to myself.

Once the matter with Ryuu was settled I decided to head back to the tent and return to sleep.

I'm still tired after all.

Laying down I drifted back off to dreamland.

---------------------

(3rd Person: POV)

As Morax drifted back off to sleep Ryuu was in her own tent, her pillow pressed into her face. Her legs flailing about in the air.

Why?

Because she is embarrassed just like Morax suspected.

After they reached the eighteenth floor and set up camp Ryuu had her leg attended to properly through the use of potions and her own magic.

It sped up the recovery immensely and they discovered the damage wasn't as bad as they first thought.

So Ryuu's leg was healed in two days.

And once it was she decided to help look after Morax.

Given all that he went through.

So last night Ryuu took her first shift, choosing to do the nightwatch.

As the time passed by on Ryuu's  watch she noticed Morax beginning to twist and turn in his sleep. Seeing this Ryuu wanted to calm him down.

But thought that holding him down was the worst idea possible given his condition.

So when Morax extended a hand in her direction Ryuu suddenly found herself grasping it without even thinking.

After she did so Morax settled down and slept soundly.

Seeing this Ryuu smiled.

Then before she knew it she herself feel asleep, which led to the situation with Morax earlier.

A situation Ryuu never intended to have happen.

But it did.

And now her elven pride is wounded.

As well as her pride as a young girl.

Ryuu removed her face from her pillow and pulled it into her chest, hugging it tightly.

Her face still bright red as a tomato.

"Morax, he saw me. He definitely saw me sleeping." Ryuu mused. "Not only that but he saw me holding his hand. His hand." Ryuu said, steam beginning to come out of her head as she did so.

"Hah. We were holding hands. And sleeping while doing so. How...how lewd." Ryuu squealed. "What if Morax thinks I'm some sort of pervert now?"

Bringing her pillow back up to her face Ryuu screamed into it, her embarrassment about the situation earlier sending her into a total tailspin.

Not even realizing the real reason she was feeling so ashamed at the moment.

Ryuu Lion has just taken her first steps to being a maiden in love.

7