Chapter 47: Answers
348 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Exiting Babel Tower I felt the sun on my face.

A sensation I always find enjoyable after spending so much time in the dungeon.

We spent three more days on the eighteenth floor for my recovery.

Then once I was well enough we set off and here we are, now back on the surface.

Moving down the steps of Babel several people looked in our groups direction.

Not surprising considering we're lugging the monster core of Goliath with us.

The thing is five meters long after all. It's the biggest monster core I've ever seen. But I know there are other bigger monster cores deeper inside the dungeon. That's why I'm keeping my excitement in check.

For the most part.

But man did it feel good to tear that monster apart.

Ignoring the stares of others we made our way back home to the Owl House.

As soon as we arrived Reina and Athena came out to greet us, smiles on their faces.

"Welcome back everyone." Athena said.

"Yes, welcome back." Reina added.

"Thanks." I said.

"Yeah, thanks mom." Rogue said.

We all entered the house.

Then as soon as we did so Leonmitchelli, Rogue, and Ryuu went to go place the Goliath monster core in a safe place.

And speaking of Ryuu, ever since that incident in the tent when I caught her holding my hand she hasn't looked me in the eye.

Sure, she talks to me but only when necessary. Like when I gave her instructions as captain during our journey back to the surface.

But other than that she's been avoiding me like the plague.

If my skin wasn't so thick this kind of treatment would hurt me. But it doesn't.

Still I don't like this.

Which means I need to corner Ryuu and we need to have another chat like the one we did before that time I got injured.

I mentally sighed.

Just one more thing to add to my plate.

Oh well.

Nothing I can do about it but keep pressing on.

Turning to Athena I looked her directly in the  eyes, a serious expression on my face. "Athena, there is a very important matter I need to discuss with you." I told her.

"Of course." Athena said.

Once I did so we went straight to her room.

Closing the door I moved to sit in a chair right in front of Athena, as she took a seat on her bed.

"So Morax, what is the urgent matter you need to discuss with me?" She asked.

As soon as Athena did so I took a deep breath and the re-counted everything that happened during the battle with the Goliath, including my transformation into a dragon.

Throughout it all Athena didn't interrupt, but as soon as I mentioned my dragonification she got an extremely serious look on her face. One I've never seen her with before.

Which just goes to show it really was a good idea to let her know about my situation immediately.

I finished my story and waited for Athena to respond.

"My, I'd never thought this would happen." Athena for. "For me to have an Adepti in my familia, and in this day and age." She spoke.

As soon as she did so my eyes went wide with shock.

Adepti is not a term that should be in this world. It is from Genshin Impact. Yet Athena just used it. Even though I've never heard anyone else use the term ever since being reborn in this world.

"Athena, what is an adepti?" I asked her.

"Listen well Morax, do not repeat what I'm about to tell you to anyone." Athena said. "Since the others saw I we will let them know together but no one else must find out what you can do. Lest you be hunted down like an animal for your power." She spoke.

I nodded, understanding the gravity of the situation.

"Good." Athena said. "So then to answer your question. Back in the days when gods first descended to the moral world monsters ran rampant on the surface. You know this correct?"

"Yes." I said. "Everyone does."

"That is true. But what most don't know. No, I should say this is something only us gods know, is about the Adepti." Athena spoke. "I myself heard about this from several gods who were forced to return to heaven back during that time. In those days the process of us gods bestowing falna upon you mortals was new and untested. As such something unexpected happened that no one foresaw. When certain people killed a certain species of monster or beast the falna reacted and began to mutate their bodies. Giving them the ability to transform into said monster or beast."

"Sorry, what?" I questioned.

"Yes, what I am saying is that certain humans obtained the power to transform into beasts. Not unlike how certain demi-human species can do so today. But this and that our two very different things. The transformation techniques employed today are vastly weaker than the powers employed by the mortals who obtained them in the days of old. Just one of them could destroy an entire legion of monsters in no time at all. Because of this and because they could transform between their human and bestial states freely we dubbed these individual Adepti." Athena explained to me.

"Woah." I said.

Like seriously, woah.

My mind is blowing up right now.

"I know, it's a lot to take in and probably hard to believe. But it's true. Adepti were real." Athena said.

"You said were." I spoke. "What happened to them?" I asked.

"They all died in battle or simply stopped appearing once the falna system was perfected." Athena said. "Still, that's not to say they vanished entirely. Through the ages several people have acquired the powers of Adepti. However they are few and far between. Not like in the old days when they appeared regularly. Which again, is due to the perfection of the falna system. But let's not get off topic. The point I am trying to make Morax is that you are one of these rare Adepti." Athena explained to me.

"I see." I said. "So what's going to happen to me?" I asked her.

"Nothing." Athena said. "Now that you've awakened your power that's that. But like I said, keep this to yourself. Other gods will try to snatch you up if they learn of your Adepti status. A lot of them covert power above all else."

"Again, understood." I said. "Also, will people be able to tell that I can transform?"

"Not at all." Athena said. "Unless you tell them or they get a look at your status. Also, demi-humans won't be able to tell your transformed based on your scent. So so long as no one visually sees you transform they won't know you have the power." She explained to me.

Hearing that I sighed out in relief.

This is all good to know.

But man, to think I am one of these Adepti.

My life is never going to be boring again.

"Ok, now that that's out of the way, let me update your status." Athena said.

"Yes please." I said.

I then turned around in the chair and removed my shirt.

Once I did so Athena began updating my status, the faint glow from my back indicating she was doing so.

"Oh, looks like you have reached the requirements to leve up Morax." Athena said. "Are you ready?"

"Yes." I said.

"Ok then." Athena said.

I then felt her initiate the level up.

"Morax, the level up has happened." Athena said. "And thanks to it you've obtained new magic."

"Nice." I said.

"Now then, your choice of developmental abilities are as follows: mage, abnormal resistance, and spearmanship." Athena told me.

"Abnormal resistance please." I said.

Since that's a key developmental ability to have for the lower floors.

"Ok then." Athena said.

I then felt another wave of energy hit my body.

"It's done." Athena said.

She then handed me a piece of paper with my new status and I looked at it.

------------------------------------

Name: Morax Lapis

Level: Three

Strength: S900>I0

Endurance: A878>I0

Dexterity: A840>I0

Agility: S901>I0

Magic: S910>I0

Magic:

Geo Force: Allows the user to create and manipulate earth constructs such as weapons. The more complex the constructs are the faster Mind is drained.

Chant: Ground and soil, heed my command and come forth!

Seismic Burst: An enchantment-type magic that allows the user to generate compressed vibrational energy around their arms or legs and coat their weapons with it.

Chant: Tear the Earth asunder!

Slot 3: ?

Skills:

Geo Archon: Increases the effect and power of any earth-based magic. It also doubles the user's strength and agility stats anytime they are in combat within rocky terrain. This allows one to be able to sense people within a 50 meter radius upon rocky terrain, but only if they are part of one's familia.

Dragonification: Allows one to transform into a dragon that is seven meters in length. Doing so boosts all of his stats by double. Active trigger. Transformation drastically drains mind and physical stamina.

Gaia's Embrace: When inside of rocky terrain the user's mind and physical stamina is actively but slowly restored faster than normal.

Developmental Abilities:

Hunter: Rank H

Abnormal Resistance: I

--------------------------------------

Looking at my new status I smiled like a madman.

Not only at my new skill, but also at my new magic which basically makes me Whitebeard from One Piece.

Ah, today is a good day.

Once I memorized my sheet I handed it back to Athena who disposed of it.

I then excused myself and headed towards my room.

Since after everything that has happened I need a hot shower and a good sleep in a comfortable bed.

Once I get that I'll deal with everything else.

Yes, I most certainly will.

---------------------------

A/N: Just to be clear the Adepti are not part of the original Danmachi story or lore. I added it to explain Morax's powers.

8