Chapter 118: New Camp
1.3k 3 68
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

To read up to 15 chapters ahead: https://www.patréon.com/SlyOW

-------------

As I walked into the camp, dragging a corpse behind me, I saw every gaze turn my way.

Obviously I was recognized, my mask said more than enough about my identity, and there weren't many my size. I'm a child after all.

Most of the soldiers looked like they didn't know what to do, but one of them, a Shinobi, and one I recognized, came forward.

She was a black haired woman with red beads for eyes, yet she was no Uchiha. She did not wear her bandage like clothes however, but a standard Chunin Konoha vest, with a red outfit underneath.

This, of course, was Kurenai Yuhi, future number one Genjutsu in Konoha.

She stopped in front of me, close enough to enter my direct line of sight but not to block my path, and made a stiff salute as she called, "Chunin Yuhi welcomes the Owl!"

I found her act to be funny, but the surrounding soldiers immediately saluted too, dropping whatever they were doing.

I looked into Kurenai's eyes and said, "Lead me to the commander's tent."

Kurenai lowered her hand, and replied, "Sorry, but since the commander still hasn't arrived, his tent hasn't…"

I shook my head and said, "I am the commander… Fine."

I looked around at the soldiers and said, "Pass the word, I want every high ranked officers to gather at my tent in an hour. Build the tent too, I don't care who does it, I want it done in less than an hour. Also, take this one, he was spying on the camp."

I threw the corpse toward them, which they struggled to catch, and looked back at Kurenai to say, "Are you familiar with the camp? If so, introduce it to me, and tell me what you know about the place."

Kurenai nodded respectively and started leading the way. Then, I listened silently as she introduced every area of the camp to me, while also telling me about the overall situation.

Kiri hadn't made a single attack yet, but they were worried they would ally with Kumo to either launch one large assault, or several smaller but deadly attacks.

When she finally finished her report, I remained silent for a while, before asking, "The men here, where do they come from?"

Kurenai replied, "They mostly are the troops who were held back and didn't fight during the first assaults. This goes for both Benders and Shinobis."

I nodded slightly, although this wasn't the best. I would rather have battle hardened soldiers under me, but I guess it won't take long to change them.

After a moment of awkward silence as we didn't really have anything to do, since the soldiers definitely didn't set up the tent already, I looked at the tensed Kurenai, and asked, "What's on your mind that got you so fidgety?"

Kurenai looked even more awkward than before, and after a moment she said, "I didn't expect you to be… so young."

I snorted at that and replied, "No one ever does. Is this going to be a problem?"

Kurenai almost panicked as she hurriedly replied, "No, of course not! It is my honour to fight under you!"

Smiling slightly, I said, "Kinky."

Kurenai suddenly blushed as she tried to explain herself, "I-I didn't mean it that way! I meant…"

I cut her off, "I'm joking, lightening the mood. I know what you meant."

Still blushing, Kurenai looked down, her cheeks the same colour as her eyes. Seeing this, I asked a more serious question.

"Why did you come forward when I came? What is it that you are expecting of me? You don't look like the type to lick boots."

Kurenai looked up, and her blush slowly faded as she replied with determination, "All I want is a chance to prove myself."

I looked away and hummed lowly, "You'll get your chance. I hope then."

Kurenai nodded heavily, and so I proceeded to wait for the hour to be up. Kurenai herself retreated to go back to her duties, while I observed my men.

An hour later, I was in the commander's tent, my tent that is, along with my ten officers. And that included Hideto, who had actually managed to arrive on time for the meeting.

As I stood in front of the large map of our area, Hideto was looking at me with narrowed eyes, obviously pissed that I had left him behind, while the others were more curious than anything.

Those people were all Jonin level, at least, so they weren't of the sort to stammer because of my identity. Although less famous, they all were fearsome warriors with either A Rank or S Rank bounties on their heads.

I looked at them all from behind my mask, which hid my expression, and said, "Everyone, thank you for arriving on such short notice. To start off, I would like to make things clear between us."

They all stood a little straighter, I could see some of them looked at me a little strangely because I was a child, despite my reputation, but they could hear the deadly seriousness in my voice, and so they all stood respectfully taunt.

My gaze passed between them as I slowly but clearly uttered, "I am a killer, and what I do best is killing. Now, I was asked to lead men, and while this is a new thing for me, at this level at least, I know my shit. So before we proceed, if one of you has a problem with me being the leader, they are to stand up now."

None of them showed any particular reactions, except for Hideto, who asked, "I don't have an objection, but rather a question."

I looked at him, and so did the rest of the officers. I said, "Present yourself soldier."

Hideto lightly smiled and replied, "Lieutenant Hideto, Lightning Bender. I have been working under General Tsubasa and by his side since the beginning of the war."

It was a short introduction, but it was more than good enough. General Tsubasa was a renowned figure, not only for his power, but for his strategic mind. Anyone working by his side was granted to either be a good mix of the two, or exceptional at either.

Seeing everyone nod, Hideto asked his question, "Will we be allowed to give our suggestions, or will we be followed orders blindly?"

Everyone turned back to look at me, and I replied without missing a beat, "We all will be working closely for the foreseeable future, and a lot will be needed from both sides. You will be able to give as much suggestions as you want, but for me to listen to them, you will have to prove your capabilities. Of course, the same goes for me."

Hideto nodded and stepped back, showing he understood. As for what he thought of the answer, much like the rest of the room, I could hardly tell.

I tapped my finger on the table, and said, "Well, I believe that for now, introductions are due. Can't have us work with strangers can we? I'll start."

"My name… well, officially it should be Spider, but I guess it makes more sense to call me Owl now. I would give you my name, but it is confidential, so it is Owl, Spider, or Commander. So I'm a Jonin of Konoha, and I specialize in assassination, infiltration, close combat, and, from now on, leading."

"Nice to meet you all."

68