Chapter 16 – Sports Festival
389 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Aw man, I wanted to wear my costume.”

Mina complained as she lounged in the resting area for Class 1A in the first year stadium. All the students were currently waiting, nervousness and excitement palpable through the atmosphere.

“It’s to keep things from being unfair.” explained Shoji as he stretched his 6 arms. “Us having  our personalized gear, on top of having training makes it unfair to the other competitors.”

“I know, but still.” Pouted Mina.

“Man, I’m really nervous.” stated Sato while wearing a nervous grin. “We’re about to participate in Japan’s biggest event here.”

“I know what you mean.” agreed Kaminari. “I’m both nervous and excited. Maybe now the babes will finally notice me, eh?” He said while elbowing Kirishima, who gave him a chuckle.

“Fat chance of that happening.” Jirou snorted while twirling her earlobes. “You’ll probably just go dumb once you notice everyone looking at you.”

“Aw come on man…” Kaminari said, embarrassed.

Soon, the door opened to reveal Kazuya and Yaoyorozu entering the room.

“Heads up, guys.” Kazuya said. “It’s showtime.”

Everyone immediately had a determined expression. They were all here to give out their best, and the world will soon see it.

“Kazuya.” Todoroki said suddenly, causing a few students to look at the upcoming confrontation. “Objectively, I think it’s safe to say that you and I are the most capable students here.”

Some of the students bristled at being underestimated while the rest just either ignored it or gave a shrug.

Kazuya himself just raised an eyebrow, wondering where this is going.

“You showed that you weren’t to be underestimated with your performance in the USJ. You are strong, but I will beat you.” Todoroki forged on.

Before Kazuya could give a reply however, Todoroki turned and faced Midoriya.

“And Midoriya… for some reason All Might has his eyes on you.” He stated, causing Midoriya  to widen his eyes. “I won’t ask what it is, and frankly I don’t really care. But I will beat you as well.”

Bakugo just looked at all this with barely concealed anger. But held himself back, wanting to see what Todoroki wants to say.

“Oi oi what the hell is this? A declaration of war between the class strongest?” Kaminari piped up.

“Hey what the hell, man? It’s not cool to spring this on them before the-” Kirishima confronted as he grabbed the ice user’s shoulder, which he shrugged off.

“I’m not here to play nice, nor am I here to make friends.” Todoroki said looking into Midoriya’s eyes.

Midoriya was quiet for a while before saying with a quiet voice. “I have no idea what you want from me, I know you’re strong Todoroki but even so I won’t allow myself to lag behind all of you.” Midoriya looked up with determined features. “So I’m going to go for it with all my might too!”

“Hoo…”

“He’s got a point you know.” Everyone looked to Kazuya as he crossed his arms looking at the half quirk user. “Everyone here is determined to give their best. I don’t know what your issue is Todoroki, but you’re not the only one who has things at stake.” Kazuya stated, remembering his own promise as well as Shinso’s. “If you just write everyone off thinking you’re the strongest, then you’ll soon find yourself knocked down from your pedestal.” He finished, but instead of just Todoroki, his eyes also trailed to Bakugo, who noticed.

“Take it as a warning.” Kazuya then turned away and walked to the door. “Now come on, the world’s waiting.

Everyone else soon followed and started walking towards the center arena.

The Sports Festival is about to begin.

— The Warping Hero —

Honestly, I didn’t expect that. Todoroki, who all this time chose to not socialize and keep to himself, to throw out a declaration like all of a sudden was surprising. But sill tho, what he did pissed me off to no end.

He’s intentionally showing himself to be superior to the rest by completely ignoring the rest of our classmates. To not even acknowledge their strength is an insult to all their efforts.

I shook my head at that. It won’t do to get distracted before the event even starts.

“-And now, for the Hero’s Pledge! Please welcome, Akio Kazuya!”

Midnight, who served as main referee for the First Year Stage announced to the stadium.

I walked up the steps, and time seemingly slowed down as I remembered my prepared speech. Aizawa told me that I was the one to deliver the pledge and it took me a few days to write a decent one.

“Everyone here has a reason why they fight.” I started.

“Some are here because they have something to prove.” Todoroki and Shinso perked up.

“Others are here to show that they’re the very best.” Bakugo stood a little straighter.

“And the rest are simply here to show the world that we are here.” Midoriya clenched his fists as he remembered All Might’s words.

“I only have one thing to say.” I raised one hand and did the ‘bring it’ motion. “Give me your best shot.”

Everything was silent before the crowd exploded into rambunctious applause. The short speech igniting the competitive spirit in every participant. All the hero students, 1A and 1B, began to clap at my words.

I walked back down to re-join the crowd of students. My classmates immediately crowding me when I approached them.

“Hell yeah, man! That was the manliest pledge I’ve ever heard!” Kirishima exclaimed with a raised fist and a giant grin.

“Thank’s Kirishima.” I replied with a smile.

“Good thing Bakugo wasn’t the representative, huh? He’ll definitely just go ‘I’ll become number one!’ or something like that.” Hagakure said to the group.

“The hell did you say?!”

“Heh, I can actually imagine him saying that.” Ojiro chuckled.

“SHUT UP TAILS.” Bakugo screamed before fuming and turning away.

“What a pledge! If that hasn’t fired you up for the festival, then I don’t know what will!” Present Mic blasted out through the speakers. He and Eraserhead are acting as the announcers for today’s festival.

“Now then, let’s begin the first event of the sports festival.” Midnight announced as a display lit up behind her and began spinning through options.

“This year’s first event is…” The display stoped spinning, revealing the game. “Obstacle race!”

Soon enough the curtains for the event opened, and I found myself standing in a long narrow tunnel. The countdown timer at the top is already starting to count down.

I glanced at Hitoshi beside me and we shared a nod. There will be no helping each other through the course of the events. Right now, they are each other’s rivals.

“Three…two…one…START!”

Immediately, I threw my knife forwards, over the heads of all the participants in front of me. Already I noticed the first so-called obstacle. The tunnel ending up in a narrow exit, where only very few students could squeeze through at a time.

I reappeared above the rest of the students as I snatched my knife out of the air. I kept the motion and threw the knife through the mouth of the tunnel.

It was obviously the right move as suddenly, the temperature dropped dramatically as ice covered the entire tunnel. The floor, the walls, everything was covered in a sheet of ice. Those unfortunate enough to get caught found themselves shivering and stuck.

“Sorry, but I need to get-” Shoto tried to say, before he was cut off when a familiar red flash appeared in front of him.

I gave him a wink before proceeding to throw my knife and flash away.

Todoroki grit his teeth as he sped up his ice to try and catch up to me. Looking back, I could  see Bakugo, Yaoyorozu, Kirishima, Aoyama, Shinso, and other hero students avoiding his ice through different means.

‘So a lot of people dodged that, huh.’ I noted, before  re-focusing on the track.

I could hear faint yells and sounds of explosions behind me but proceeded to ignore them as I kept my pace.

“Incredible! Akio Kazuya has managed to get the lead! But how will he handle the next obstacle? May I introduce the first barrier… Robo Inferno!”

I was forced to stop my movement when a huge metallic fist slammed into the dirt in front of me.

“Target acquired!” The mechanical voices of dozens and dozens of robots from the entrance exam rang out as they appeared as a horde.

‘The zero-pointers, eh?’ I thought before giving a grin. ‘They’re the perfect opponents to show how stronger I’ve gotten.’

Before the robots could react, I flashed upwards and threw 4 knives at different zero pointers.

I landed quickly and kept running ahead. A snap of my fingers is all it took for the zero pointers to fall as their upper or lower bodies just disappeared.

“Amazing! Kazuya has defeated 4 Zero-Pointers before the rest of the students even made it to the barrier!”

I grinned as I heard that announcement. I now had the lead. Time to prove that when it comes to speed, I am outmatched.

A red flash was all I left in my wake as I continued forward.

The Warping Hero —

‘DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT!’

Katsuki Bakugo cursed in his head as he kept propelling himself forward with his explosions. Right next to him, the half and half bastard is keeping pace with him aided with his ice.

He saw how his so called class-rep got ahead of everyone by using that stupid warp quirk of his, and then Present Mic’s announcement of him reaching the first obstacle.

Ever since the start of the year, Bakugo’s world has been turned upside down. For years, from kindergarten to middle school, he’s been the undisputed top, no matter what it was. He was the best in academics, the most powerful quirk, the person with the biggest chance to becoming number one.

But his high-standing was all crumpled down the moment he got to U.A. He wasn’t number one in the Entrance Exams. He didn’t get first during the Quirk Assessment Test. He wasn’t chosen as Class President…

Ever since joining U.A., he has achieved nothing but failure.

Bakugo’s anger raised up a few notches as he released a big explosion to propel himself forward. He’ll show that damn half and half he declared war on the wrong person.

He and Icyhot were moving side-by-side when his sharp eye caught the familiar tri-pronged knife that was stuck to the ground ahead of them. He was about to question it when all of a sudden, a mass of giant robotic limbs appeared out of thin air in a red flash, blocking the path ahead.

“DAMN THAT GINGER!” Bakugo screamed out as he immediately increased the output of his explosions to fly over the rubble. He looked back to see Icyhot not even slowing down as he built up an ice ramp to get over the robot limbs.

He met the so called ‘Robo Inferno’ seconds later when a bunch of small fry robots rush towards him.

“OUT OF MY WAY!”

He blasted through all the one and two pointers before finding himself facing a zero-pointer.

Bakugo just grinned as he blasted up. The robot tried to swat him out of the air only for the blonde student to maneuver around the appendage and reach the faux-villains’ head.

Bakugo then unleashed a massive explosion, completely obliterating the upper half of the robot, which then fell to a crumpled heap.

He just gave a smirk and continued forward, the accumulated sweat from the race making him move much faster.

His senses suddenly screamed at him to move as swerved to the side, a huge icy blast went past him and froze all the robots ahead. “Fuck off, Icyhot!”

Said student just ignored him as he forged on ahead past the now frozen faux-villains.

The rest of the participants who managed to catch up immediately tried to take advantage of the state of the villains by running through the legs.

This proved to be a mistake, as all the frozen zero-pointers shook and fell. Creating various shockwaves as they hit the ground.

‘Idiots.’ thought Bakugo as he continued to blast himself forward.

“Shoto Todoroki and Katsuki Bakugo easily clears the first obstacle! But wait.. What's this?! Akio Kazuya has passed the fall and is already on his way to the third obstacle?! When did this happen?!” Present Mic’s loud voice came from the speakers.

‘WHAT?! HOW THE FUCK DID HE GET SO FAR AHEAD?’ Bakugo screamed in his mind as he forced himself to go faster.

“Kazuya has shown exemplary control of his quirk and has proven time and time again that he possesses an analytical mind. Combine these two factors, I’m not surprised that he took the lead.” Aizawa added.

“Woah! Did I hear that right? Was that a compliment? Did you, Shota Aizawa, just compliment a student?”

“...Let’s focus on the race.”

Bakugo continued to blast forwards at incredible speeds, trying to shorten the gap as much as he could. He snuck a peek behind him to see Half and Half, Ponytail, Elbows, and a chick with vines for hair quickly pursuing him.

Pushing thoughts about the rest of the extras at the back of his mind, he studied the next obstacle ahead of him.

A huge and deep ravine lay between him and his goal. To get to the other side, one needs to balance themselves through the thick wires that connect each pillar. To to other students, this particular obstacle might prove to be a nuisance.

But to Katsuki fucking Bakugo?

This is a non issue.

Completely ignoring the wires, Bakugo propelled himself forwards with controlled and sustained bursts of explosions. This is where he’ll take the lead. The Icyhot bastard would inevitably slow down due to the ravines.

That’s why he’ll pass through this obstacle quickly and catch up to the gingerhead bastard.

“AND THE WINNER OF THE OBSTACLE RACE IS AKIO KAZUYA!”

‘FUCK!’

—————————————————————————————————————

Hey guys!

We finally reached the Sports Festival! Arguably the best arc of all MHA Anime.

To be honest not too happy with how this chapter turned out, but nothing I could do there.

I spent around 8 hours trying to make this chapter work, but I just kept writing and deleting paragraphs until I grew frustrated and kept this one as the final draft.

The next 2 rounds will definitely do better though and don’t worry, we’ll be focusing on Kazuya’s POV mostly on the fights.

Advanced chapters and other benefits on my Patreon! Make sure to check it out.

P atr eon /TeemVizzle

(Remove the spaces)

That’s all from me!

Cheers!

12