Chapter 44: Magic Dome
384 7 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[ Some Time Later ]

I made my way towards the library when I noticed a commotion in the courtyard gardens. The two quidditch teams for Gryffindor and Slytherin were facing off against each other. Interestingly, the trio was also there, in an arguing match with some of the Slytherins.

I decided to walk away, but saw Ron cast a spell which backfired on him. What followed was him dry heaving slugs out. How weird for someone to eat slug eggs, or maybe it’s in all our foods and the spell makes them incubate faster.

Whilst thinking, I had made my way towards the library and revised my action plan to make the Magic Dome. I had called it a Dome but it’s more like a weird egg-shaped sphere – this is my current limit with rune designs. I had shown my plans to Professor Flitwick and gotten his advice on what to improve. With the improved version recorded down in Dororthy, it’s time to make it.

Perhaps wanting to see how far I can go, Professor Flitwick also gave me some materials I can use under the condition that he watches the process, which I agreed too. The last time I tried to make something I ended up meeting Madam Pomfrey.

 After the final confirmation of my plans, I made my way towards Professor Flitwick’s office. When I arrived, there was an unexpected guest waiting as well.

“Hello.” I said.

“Ah, welcome Zane, I heard you were having an experiment today and wanted to watch. Is that ok?” He politely asked.

“I don’t mind,” I responded. It’s not like you can say no to him.

He nodded and I started setting up at the bench. The idea behind the Magic Dome was simple, gather mana over time and discharge it as a shield if danger was detected. Detection was the trickiest part, but I figured it out.

“Here goes nothing” I mumbled.

This time I had two teachers here in case it gets explosive again.

I quickly tuned out their stares as I got to work inscribing mana accumulation runes on the core of the Orb. Time passed as I grew increasingly focused, determined not to mess up the foundations. Some hours had passed, and what was in front of me was a hand-sized orb. It was completely black and unassuming.

“Moment of truth,” I muttered. Since the two hadn’t stopped me, it means they don’t expect it to explode.  I wiped the sweat off my palms into my school robe and sent some mana into the ball.

*Bzzzz-mmmm*

A low hum rang out on the dome. It had clearly reacted to my mana and was now in a state of passively charging itself. It quickly raised itself off from the table and started an orbit, with me as the center.

“Amazing…” Dumbledore had spoken up. “You seem to have inherited the Douglas family’s talents and then some,”

“Headmaster, my last name is Zouglas,” I had explained.

“So it is,” He smiled and started to walk away. “An amazing invention, Mr. Zouglas. However, don’t let your desire to protect cloud your judgment.”

I am unsure of what he meant, but my last name is one character off of Douglas. This is something to look further into, as it might hold some clues as to what happened to my parents.

“Well Zane, I think you would have no problems getting an O if you take up Runes as an elective.” Professor Flitwick stated. “There might be a day I commission you for work!”

He started to laugh to himself.

I silently nodded and left the room, with my new creation orbiting me.

“Hey Zane,” I heard Luna’s voice as I opened the door.

“Did it go well?” She asked, somewhat anxiously.

“Yes, fine. Check it out,” I motioned towards the Orb. It seemed to have realized it was getting shown off and stopped in place for Luna to observe.

She simply nodded and reached her hand out towards me. She opened it and in her palm was a pair of berry earrings.

“To protect against slug eggs,” she explained.

“Thanks,” I grabbed the earrings and tried to put them on, it seemed they clamped in place as I didn’t have the holes for them.

“I was just worried about this,” I continued. “Do you think we eat slug eggs or they are always inside of us?”

She gave me a blank stare, before smiling and walking off.

“It’s about time for dinner,” she said while turning the corner.

I attempted to follow but she disappeared, indirectly proving the castle will help you ‘fast travel’ if you have a clear destination in mind.

Before I could make my way towards the Great Hall, a painting had decided to speak up.

“Hey, kid!” It shouted at me. I looked around to make sure there were no others.

The painting didn’t say anything else before opening up and revealing a dark hole, likely a passage. I looked towards the Orb, that had been slowly orbiting and charging this whole time. Frankly, the materials its made off can be found around Hogwarts, and should be good enough to block fatal damage at least once.

Considering this, I entered the paintings passage, where it quickly turned into a slide.

“…”

Its not my first rodeo, the Orb was having trouble keeping up, but managed to follow behind me by staying just inside of the slip stream.

I quickly saw the exit, and before I blinked, I had crashed into a bed.

“Atleast it’s a soft landing this time…” I had muttered, before looking to my right.

There was the trio, shocked with their mouths wide open, although one was somewhat involuntary.

“EUugh!” Ron had vomited more slugs, missing the bucket.

“Mmmm,” I let out a disgusted moan.

Harry was the first to ask, “What are you doing here?” Hermione nodded.

“Well, curiosity killed the cat,” I said, before getting out of the bed and making my way towards the exit. “Goodbye.”

It looked like they were too stunned to ask about the Orb.

 

 

I quickly entered the Great Hall, and sat next to Luna who had already picked out some food for me. I was getting some weird looks, but that’s nothing unusual at this point.

“Thanks,” I said.

She smiled and continued to eat.

Today was a good day.

 

----
Author Corner:

Hey everyone, long time no see.

We passed a year+ of this books inception and I am thankful for every single one of you reading it this far and sticking around this long.

Shout out to silent_souls. And U03 in my discord reminding me to exist from time to time.

A lot has changed in my life, and its consistently busy, but I enjoy writing and have not given up on this book.

I will say it is slightly jarring to write half a chapter, then come back to it months later and feeling like “I can do this better”. This chapter is relatively short for the time it took, I acknowledge that and can only ask for understanding. Things will speed up from here on, going day by day is going to burn me out faster than I can tolerate.

Any suggestions to call the Orb?

As a side note, I got a promotion at work where my boss quit and im taking up his responsibilities for the same pay, lol. Not ideal.

Thanks, and see you soon.

17