Once Bitten, Twice Shy
2.1k 8 96
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

An owl was sent to Romania with a letter for Charlie Weasley, asking if they had enough space for one more lizard of mass destruction.

The long, tedious week seemed to last forever as everyone impatiently anticipated a response from Romania. By Wednesday evening, Ben was experiencing a restlessness that couldn't be attributed to the overindulgent dinner he had consumed.

It had been more than a week but Ben had made no progress on Dragon Shouts, at this point, the only way he saw was to slay a Dragon.

There was only one dragon around Ben, to say that he was feeling conflicted was an understatement.

In the dark of the night, he made his way down the castle, under the veil of Invisibility.

"You've got to get rid of her, Hagrid," said Ron, "At the rate that she's growing, she'll be having us for breakfast soon."

"Oh nonsense, she's barely eating anything," said Hagrid, emptying another crate full of dead rats in front of her.

Ron had no words left to say to Hagrid, the man had gone blind in love.

"Yoh, wotcha!" Ben said, coming out of the dark.

"Merlin's Bread! Are you trying to scare me to death, mate?" said Ron, holding down his thumping chest.

"Ha Ha, I thought you could use some help," said Ben.

"Well, that's really nice of you, but we're almost done here," he said, going forward with another crate full of dead rodents. Something told Ben that Ron was not his greatest fan.

"A-Ahh, it bit me, it bit me!" Ron screamed as he held his bleeding hand; Norene had chomped on his hand along with the rats.

"Oh, it's just a nick, it'll heal right up," said the blind giant as he wrapped the bleeding hand with a handkerchief.

"Have you gone blind, Hagrid? This is the most horrible animal I've ever met, she wants to eat me," Ron screamed, not able to take Hagrid's nonsense any longer.

Hagrid got upset and told Ron off for frightening the poor baby dragon, "You should return to the castle, it's time for her to rest," he said and started singing a lullaby to calm the rampaging dragonette.

Ben had to admit, nobody could match Hagrid in his unconditional love for animals.

Ron left huffing and puffing, Ben decided not to follow him, Ron would probably be unable to use the Invisibility cloak with him around.

As Ben watched the little dragon setting fire to Hagrid's beard, he could not help but smile. How could he even think of killing her, and what for? A shout? He wasn't even sure if that was the way to get one.

In the past week, the familiarity between him and Norene had strengthened even further, Ben could feel a connection forming between them that grew stronger with each passing day.

It reminded Ben of the connection he had with his wolf familiar, it was much weaker at the moment though.

It gave Ben some hope for the future; Nature spirits were not the only kind of familiars existing in the world of elder scrolls, there were animal familiars too, perhaps if he nurtured this connection, he would acquire a new familiar.

"You should leave too, you'll get into trouble if someone saw you outside this late," said Hagrid, trying to calm an irritated dragon.

Ben helped him by casting [Calm] on her.

He decided to head back after feeding her a small piece of the Mammoth's snout he had bought from the store; it cost him a whopping five septims but at least she appreciated it.

Even if he needed a dragon's soul, there were plenty of others roaming in the world, he would learn a shout, sooner or later.

---

Just as the clock on the wall chimed midnight, the portrait hole to the Gryffindor common room burst open. Ron appeared out of nowhere as he pulled off Harry's invisibility cloak.

"It bit me!" he said, showing them his hand, which was wrapped in a bloody handkerchief.

"I'm not going to be able to hold a quill for a week. I tell you, that dragon's the most horrible animal I've ever met, but the way Hagrid goes on about it, you'd think it was a fluffy little bunny rabbit. When it bit me he told me off for frightening it. And when I left, he was singing it a lullaby."

"And then there is that Raven that has gone cuckoo, it's as if they are both under its charm."

"Brown was there too? How did he get out without being seen?"

"How would I know? He talked to birds and rats for all I care," he said in frustration.

Before the two could react to Ron's ramblings, there was a tap on the dark window.

"It's Hedwig!" said Harry, hurrying to let her in. "She'll have Charlie's answer!"

The three of them put their heads together to read the note.

Dear Ron,

How are you? Thanks for the letter - I'd be glad to take the Norwegian Ridgeback, but it won't be easy getting him here. I think the best thing will be to send him over with some friends of mine who are coming to visit me next week. Trouble is, they mustn't be seen carrying an illegal dragon.

Could you get the Ridgeback up the tallest tower at midnight on Saturday? They can meet you there and take him away while it's still dark.

Send me an answer as soon as possible.

Love,

Charlie.

They looked at one another.

"We've got the invisibility cloak," said Harry. "It shouldn't be too difficult - I think the cloak's big enough to cover two of us and Norbert."

The week had been especially tough on the kids; at this point, they would do anything to get rid of the dragon - and Malfoy.

---

The next morning, Ron walked into the Great hall with a swollen hand. It had gotten twice as big and Ben felt conflicted as he could cure him if he wanted, there was a potion literally named [Cure Poison] in the store.

If that didn't work out, he could at least reduce the swelling with [Healing Hands], but since Ben had already made the prophecy, he decided not to intervene.

'A few days of rest in the Hospital Wing would do well for the overworked redhead,' he thought.

Ron was eventually rushed to Madam Pomfrey as his hand had turned a nasty shade of green.

Although he lied, saying it was a dog bite, she didn't believe him.

Harry and Hermione rushed up to the hospital wing at the end of the day to find Ron in a terrible state in bed.

"It's not just my hand," he whispered, "although that feels like it's about to fall off."

"Malfoy told Madam Pomfrey he wanted to borrow one of my books so he could come and have a good laugh at me. He kept threatening to tell her what really bit me -and he took one of my books with him, and Charlie's letter was inside it,"

Harry and Hermione didn't get a chance to answer; they were chased away by Madam Pomfrey before they could plan how to deal with Malfoy now.

"It's too late to change the plan now," Harry told Hermione. "We haven't got time to send Charlie another owl, and this could be our only chance to get rid of Norene. We'll have to risk it. And we have got the invisibility cloak, Malfoy doesn't know about that."

"Saturday night it is then, should we ask Brown for help?"

--Dreamscape--

I had to write this chapter because a lot of people haven't read the books and only watched the movies, they would have gotten confused if I didn't include what was going on with the trio.

Read more at Patre@n/DreamyApe

96