14-Gifts and debts
489 0 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

‘Alright let’s do this,’ Moby turned back to Lilly and crossed his arms.

They had just arrived in front of the guild. Lilly looked him in the eyes, confused, “why did you stop?”

“Lilly, I know what you’re doing and I heard about you from some guy,” he said, avoiding eye contact, ‘the best way to say without really giving myself.’

“I-I don’t understand Mr Tick,” she said, playing ignorance, but it made him slightly frustrated.

“I understand your suspicion, but to be honest, I don’t trust strangers and only listen if they have something important to say or have the experience I don’t.”

“I see...” she lowered her head, her face half-covered, “how much did he tell you?”

“Enough to be wary around you, but I want the stories from both sides honestly, I didn’t like the guy’s face so if the situation needs my help then I’ll do what I can but from here on out only the truth.”

He patted her head and waltzed into the guild.

‘Who does this guy think he is?’ she glanced coldly at his back. A small shimmer sparked before returning to a natural coldness. ‘no, there’s no such thing as a good person in this world... I need to be careful.’

She sighed and followed him inside. It wasn’t long before both went to a secluded area there both sat down across from each other.

“Alright, I’m listening.”

“Heh, what do you want?” She said.

“?” he gave a confused look.

“I’m saying what’s the reason for a benefit? Did you make a deal with them and now I’ll suffer?”

“Ah, okay, I get it. You don’t understand. I don’t trust strangers and, to be honest, I want to help you,” he said, earning a scoff from her.

“What could you do? You know nothing about my life and what I’ve been through.”

‘Not entirely, but I know where it leads you and honestly living on the streets in the cold, starving... I would’ve traded that for what you’ve been through.’

At that moment he sighed losing all welcoming tone and opened his eye to no light but an empty void staring at her, “trust me, you don’t know what suffering is, so just get on with it and I’ll make my decision. You don’t have to look at me as the enemy. Trust me, I hate adventurers just as much as you do.”

He gave a warm smile. "Please let me help you.”

Lilly froze when their eyes met pondering how he shared an emptier look than she did in the mirror, but his kindness was an equal surprise, she couldn’t fully trust him so she only told her story about the mistreatment from her family adventures almost everything including the money she needed but mentioned nothing about saving up.

In the end, she was huffing exhausted, having let out so much hate and resentment, especially hatred towards her god for letting it run the way it does.

“So to leave the familiar you want to amass a large amount of money and buy your freedom?”

She nodded silently, waiting for the reaction. She expected a snark, a sign of his true nature being no different, but a small smile. “How much do you need?”

“At least three hundred thousand more,” she said. ‘Is he going to help me?’

“Good thing I went along hunting then, cuz we have enough,” he grinned, lifting the bag full of magic cores.

Her eyes widened, “n-no this can’t be real you can’t give all of that away why!?” she slammed the desk, this time drawing attention, but it was night and little adventurers stood around this time.

“You’re right, this would help you a lot and do so easily is what I want, but I don’t think you’ll accept it, which is why there’s a string attached to this money and I think you’ll accept.”

He flashed a warm smile.

[Hostess of fertility]

Moby walked in, yawning. He stayed an extra thirty minutes in the guild going over the matters. Lilly, honestly, her story was a sad one, and he wanted to help. There was nothing wrong with being good from time to time.

“Hey Syr,” he greeted the silver-haired girl.

“Oh hi Moby, is Bell with you?” She asked, glancing past him.

“Nope, just me.”

“Oh well, better than none, so how can I help?”

“I’d like something smooth. Oh, is Ryuu nearby?” he said he remembered saying they’d talk the next time they met.

And just as he said, the elf appeared beside Syr, “I’ll take his form here. You can help in front.”

Syr nodded waving at Moby before leaving, “thanks for waiting for me.”

“You asked for something smooth, right?”

“So long as you’re serving, I’m fine with whatever.”

Ryuu raised her brow. “So how’s your adventure boon so far?”

“Alright... kind of ran into a wall and smashed my face, figuratively, and I tried something with my skills and failed,” he said, grabbing the drink she poured for him.

“You mean a fight?” She said, filling other jugs and handing them to another waitress.

‘Dam do they already know? How?... maybe Mamma Mia has connections. Then again, it could just be a guess.’

“Something like that. I came across a monster, a boar hehe.” he chuckled at his pun and was sure he saw her nose twitch with a small chuckle.

“An interesting description.”

He shrugged, taking a gulp, “what can I say? I’m an interesting guy.”

“Hehe, hm.”

“Yeah... so Ryuu, how’s your day been?”

“Nothing worth delving into.”

“Alright then, mind if I take a gander at your personality? You can assess me as well. It’s a small game.”

The elf took a moment, then shrugged, not seeing any issues. “so long as I can refill your drink,” she said, somewhat curious about his opinion of her.

“Okay,” he positioned himself properly and stared directly into her eyes before glancing around as if trying to piece together a story.

“I’d say you are a calm person, I know little, but I’m gonna guess you keep your cool pretty often. You are pretty and must’ve heard it too many times from the other adventurers and don’t get emotional over their lustful glares. So I say you’re a cool person pun intended.”

He shrugged, “maybe I’m wrong, who knows.”

‘He’s quite observant,’ she said nothing for a moment, “alright then my turn.” She refilled his mug, noting the uptake in price.

“Hm... when I look at you, I see a drive for something what your goal is I don’t know you’ve barely become an adventurer and yet your growth is remarkable but you lack any training, attentive, smart or you think you are and cautious I know nothing about your life and I doubt the others know since you joined recently which makes you mysterious and dangerous because little is known about you.”

“... huh, I was expecting more like I’m pretty. My red hair is very eye-catching,” he said, taking a chug of whatever he was drinking was bittersweet.

“Well, your looks are average, and your posture is well.”

He nodded, thinking it was all he was going to get. “you said I lack training by any chance. Would you know someone proficient in a glaive?”

He asked, but before she could answer Syr joined in dragging Moby, “Moby, some mysterious person’s here to see you.”

“What wait let me go,” When he released himself lacing to an empty booth, he froze, spotting the last person he wanted to meet sitting waiting for him, ‘Freya.’

He glanced back to Ryuu, but she was busy attending to others and Syr, who dragged him with a sly grin. “Good luck” she cooed and left him.

‘Is Ottar nearby?’ he checked to see the hulking man afraid in the pits of his stomach that he was going to die instantly.

“He isn’t here. If you are concerned, it’s just me.”

Moby looked to the exit, then back to Freya and sighed, sitting across from her. The goddess smiled underneath her hood and pulled out two books.

“First, I want to congratulate you on your let’s say victory thanks to you think haven’t been as boring as I expected, but also I think we should stop seeing each other. If Ottar ever sees you, I don’t think I’ll be able to control him.”

Her voice was laced with a trace of excitement, but she sighed and pushed the two books to him.

“Your reward is one for you and Bell. I advise you to open these before you sleep.”

Moby listened quietly. The entire time he understood what those books were. tomes both looked identical to each other. What he couldn’t understand was why.

“What do you gain from this? Are you gonna make things? Difficult. Do you enjoy seeing people suffer?” It was a genuine question: why would she do this?

The goddess could only chuckle as if looking at a child, “sigh, oh Moby, you don’t understand this world is too boring.”

She said, losing some light in her eyes.

“I can tell you with a glance at all the adventurers here what they’re like and when I can easily break them, there are no more heroes who stand up to challenge like things used to be, all I want to is my hero someone who would go above and beyond suffering and struggle to succeed.”

“Which is why you want Bell.”

“Mn, he’s young and still holds that spark other adventurers lose when they age and you are interesting, a soul so large and colourful, like an ocean deep and filled with a mystery. You also caught my eye...”

Freya gazed into his eyes a mix of greed and want to be surfaced, making him shiver. “I’ll take the books.”

“Of course, it’s a gift,” she gave a sweet smile, ‘I see he’s resistant to my enchantment I wonder how he has no skill that can protect him unless it’s his strong will but no man or monster should be able to resist.’

Moby felt weird from her gaze and stood to leave, but not before returning to Ryuu and wishing her a good night.

As he walked to the church, his mind drifted, ‘wonder what magical skill I’ll get?’

He opened the door, seeing Hestia seated on a couch with a drink in her hands, her head snapped to Moby, “what took you so long? I thought something happened.”

“Nah, I’m alright. I just stayed longer. Is Bell up?”

“No, he went to sleep,” she tilted her head, seeing the two books.

“Don’t worry about it. It’s a gift.”

Hestia took a moment and shrugged. It was already late, so both just stood up for a hot drink, conversing about small matters, and eventually reaching the deal with Loki.

“What!?” Hestia screeched, “why do I have to make the decision that stuck up flat-chested whore can just ugh!”

“Well, one, you’re our head, so ultimately all hard decisions come to you. Partnerships, alliances and enemies can be made and broken easily, and I don’t want to talk to Loki.”

She clicked her tongue in thought, ‘he’s right, this sort of choice comes down to me... uh,’ she sighed, “fine I’ll think about it tomorrow. It’s getting late.”

With that matter left to tomorrow. While Bell was sleeping, Moby entered his room and placed his tome down with a note saying, open me.

Moby and Hestia said good night before entering their respective rooms. Moby sat on his bed and finally opened the book.

a bright light blinded him ‘Ah!’ and fell asleep.

“Where am I?” He opened his eyes, finding himself on a beach. He was expecting something different.

19