Sports Festival 5
729 3 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"And we're back and ready to start the second round of matches! All of these competitors have won their first match, so things should be ripe with action! To start off our first round, we have Izuku Midoriya and Fumikage Tokoyami! Both of our competitors used their wits to win their first round, so let's see who outwits who! Ready! Start!"

Surprisingly, it was Midoriya who made the first move by rushing Tokoyami, who mimicked him by doing the same thing.

"This is going to be a tough matchup for Midoriya. Tokoyami's very good in a one-on-one fight and can outlast Midoriya." said Tobias as he saw that the two had begun clashing, with Midoriya on the defensive even though he was the first to move.

Tokoyami would attack with his Dark Shadow and Midoriya would dodge while trying to find an opportunity to attack, which he found after Tokoyami's DS had just finished a flurry of attacks that left it tired.

Seeing the opening, Midoriya rushed toward Tokoyami who saw this and created a claw swipe to stop the rush. As it was about to hit him, Midoriya slid under the claw, finger at the ready, and let it loose right at Tokoyami.

BOOM

"Oh, that seems weaker than what he used during the Quirk Assessment. Looks like he's managing to get it under control." said Kyoka.

From the cloud of dust, a black fist emerged hitting Midoriya right on and pushing him back. Emerging from the dissipating cloud was Tokoyami who looked a little worn out, clearly having managed to block Midoriya's attack last minute.

Picking himself up, Midoriya saw a fist about to hit him but managed to roll and dodge at the last minute before being hit head-on by another one. Tokoyami then used his DS to grab Midoriya and was about to throw him out of bounds before Midoriya escaped from the hand and let loose another finger.

BOOM

The dust cloud that was created was enough to remove Tokoyami's field of vision. At the ready for anything that may come, he heard a noise come from behind him so he launched a fist in the direction of the noise. Hitting nothing, he realized it was a distraction too late, as he was hit head-on by the air pressure created by Midoriya, knocking him off the stage.

"Oh, it seems Midoriya has won out in the battle of wits! Distracting Tokoyami's Dark Shadow and then coming around from the back to finish him off, what a fantastic fight! Round of applause everyone!"

"Wonder how long he'll last. He's going to run out of fingers eventually and it's not like Recovery Girl can heal all that."

"Yeah, that's why I'm going to help him. Be right back." said Tobias before going to meet Midoriya.

"Sigh."

"What are you sighing so heavily about?" asked Mina who had Toru and Tsuyu in tow.

"Tobias."

"What about him?"

"He's going to heal Midoriya so he can be at 100% capacity for their fight."

"That's nice of him, so why are you sighing over it?"

"Because he's chasing a rush. A rush with his cards, a rush in battle. And I'm afraid it might get him killed one day. And it's not like he's scared, because he's not. It's like death isn't a big deal to him."

"Have you talked to him about it?" asked Tsuyu.

"I've skirted around it in conversation before, but he always says the same thing. He does it because it's fun. I shouldn't be surprised, his graduation speech in elementary was that he wanted to experience everything that life had to offer and die with a smile on his face. I just thought it was the ramblings of a child at the time, but now I'm thinking he's serious. Sorry, for dumping this all on you guys. It's my problem, not yours. I have to go get ready. Later." she said before leaving.

~

"Yo, Midoriya." said Tobias as he entered the temporary nurse's office.

"Oh, Tobias, what are you doing here?"

"Came to help you out. I know Recovery Girl's quirk won't fix you completely so I wanted to heal you, so you'd be at full capacity for our fight." he said with a smile.

"Our fight? But you haven't beaten Kacchan yet?"

"Don't worry, I will. Anyway, hold still." he said before taking out a card and using it on Midoriya.

"Wow. It never ceases to amaze me."

"I know right? Anyway, I'm up next so later."

"Wait!" he yelled, stopping Tobias.

"What's up?"

"H-how strong are you? I've seen you do so much and you always do it so casually. So, I want to know, just how strong are you?" he said, looking Tobias straight in the eyes.

"You'll have to wait and see." he said with a smile before leaving.

~

"Oh, this match is sure to be explosive! Two of our two Class A students are going to go head-to-head! The explosive Katsuki Bakugo versus the ever-smiling, card-wielding Tobias Fukushima! An exciting match surely! Ready! Start!"

"I'm about to blow that smile right off your face!" said Bakugo as he used his jets to rush Tobias.

"I sure hope so." answered Tobias as he quickly took out a card and summoned a kanabo, before getting ready like a batter at the base.

Seeing this, Bakugo continued to rush him and as he was about to collide, he moved his hand toward the ground and used his quirk, causing him to go around the top of Tobias before stopping his movement with an explosion and then rushing toward his back.

"Nice." said Tobias as he was already looking at Bakugo before swinging his kanabo at his incoming figure. Thanks to Bakugo's battle instincts, he was able to stop the kanabo by abandoning his attack on Tobias and blowing the kanabo away from Tobias' hands. Seeing no weapon, Bakugo threw a flurry of explosive blows at Tobias' figure.

Feeling his blows connect, Bakugo sped up his attacks before winding up a big right hook.

"Now die!" he yelled as his right hook landed.

"Close one." said Tobias from the smokescreen.

BOOM!

After the explosive boom, Bakugo's body could be seen flying off the stage and about to hit the walls before a giant pillow appeared there.

"Oops, overdid it a bit." said Tobias, as he was scratching his head.

At the beginning of the fight, when Tobias had summoned the kanabo, he had also readied a trap card that was supposed to be a surprise for Bakugo. Unfortunately, due to Bakugo's frenzied blows the Mirror Force card he had set, absorbed more power than Tobias had intended thus reflecting a very powerful explosion. Having predicted what would happen, Tobias had preemptively created and thrown a card that would stop Bakugo's collision with the walls.

"What just happened?! After a flurry of blows by Bakugo that ended with his signature right hook, it seems Tobias was able to reflect the explosion right back, blowing Bakugo off the stage! Thankfully it seems Tobias was able to save him from colliding with the walls of the stadium! But, nonetheless, it means Tobias is the winner and will be moving on to the next round! A round of applause for the both of them!" said Present Mic as staff came and put Bakugo on a stretcher before taking him away.

~

Shiozaki versus Todoroki ended just as quickly as when he fought Uraraka, unfortunately. But Tobias was very excited about the fourth match.

"You can do this." said Tobias to Kyoka.

"I know." she said rather curtly.

"Are you mad at me?"

"No."

"Are you sure, because..."

"I said no!"

"Okay. Good luck. I'll see you after the match." he said before walking off, confused more than anything.

~

"Alrighty, the last match in the second round! Another clash between Class A with the sonic Kyoka Jiro versus the vice-president Momo Yaoyorozu! An interesting match to be sure! Ready! Start!"

Right as the match started, Kyoka rushed up to Momo and while nearing her, used her high-pitched sonic blast, which she had learned to do on her own at the cost of it hurting her jacks.

Unfortunately for her, Momo had long come up with a counter by creating earplugs good enough to block the high-pitched frequency of her shriek.

Seeing that her shriek was ineffective, Kyoka decided to use her jacks for close combat, like she had trained over the years. To counter this, Momo created a bo-staff that she used to swat away Kyoka's jacks while keeping her distance.

Not getting anywhere, Kyoka decided to stop the close combat and use her sound blasts. But before she could, her mind wandered to the scene from a few minutes before with Tobias, causing her to lose focus. Momo seeing the opening, used her bo-staff to hit Kyoka right in the stomach, bringing her focus back on the match.

"Focus!" yelled Tobias.

Hearing that from Tobias, whom she unfairly yelled at earlier, made her head clear up and put her entire focus on the fight. Not wanting to give Momo the room to create anything that would put her at a disadvantage, Kyoka used her sound blasts to rush Momo before sliding onto the ground and sweeping her legs from under her.

Not able to dodge in time, Momo created a pair of shock gauntlets that she was about to use on Kyoka before she noticed that Kyoka's jacks were right at her neck.

"Jiro wins! What a fight by the two ladies of Class A, truly showing off their creativity and quirk familiarity! That final rush by Kyoka really was something! A round of applause for both of our fighters!"

"Whoo!" said Tobias, causing Kyoka to look at him before she mouthed 'sorry' to him, to which he just nodded.

"Alright, and with that last round, that means our top four are decided! After a short little break, we'll be right back with the next round to decide our finalists and then our winner!"

~

"So, want to tell me what that was about?" asked Tobias to Kyoka.

"It was stupid, it was all my fault."

"Hey, if you have something you want to talk to me about, I'm here. And nothing that worries you is stupid to me."

"When you said you were going to heal Midoriya, I got scared."

"Because I healed a friend?"

"Because of what that means. Because the fact that you would go so far to have a fun fight scares the hell out of me."

"Why?"

"Because I don't know if you're going to end up dead one day because you wanted the rush from fighting a villain. And I know that death doesn't scare you, I don't know why but it doesn't."

"Dying scares me, what are you talking about?"

"No, it doesn't. Not in the same way it scares me. I've seen you talk about dying and you always have a look in your eyes like death isn't a big deal."

"That's what you're worried about? You should've told me and we could've talked about it. And dying does scare me. Not the dying part, but what dying means. That I leave all my friends behind, my loved ones, my parents, and you. But I don't like to think about dying because what does that get me? Anxiety and fear, and that's not how I want to live my life."

"You want to live your life to the fullest so you can die with a smile on your face."

"Exactly. But if it scares you that much, I promise I'll be more careful and create some defensive cards for myself."

"I don't want you to be someone you're not because of me. That won't make me or you happy. I just want you to be more cautious, that's it."

"Okay. I promise." he said before hugging her.

"Okay. Thanks. And I'm sorry for earlier."

"It's okay. Besides, it lets me know you care about me."

"Shut up." she said smiling and rolling her eyes.

~

"Now that we're back, it's time for a matchup between two powerhouses of Class A to decide who moves on to the finals! Izuku versus Tobias! Ready! Start!"

"Show me how strong you are." said Midoriya as he got in a stance ready to fight.

"Gladly." said Tobias as he pulled out a card and activated it before a light shone all around his body.

The next second he was already in front of Midoriya about to punch him in the stomach. Midoriya's eyes couldn't react fast enough, but his instincts moved his body to use his full strength and clash with Tobias' incoming fist.

"Cementoss!" yelled Midnight, sensing the force from the upcoming clash would be overwhelming. Luckily they were able to react fast enough for Cementoss to quickly create a ring of high walls around the stage.

BOOM

The entire stadium shook from the two colliding fists causing a giant dust cloud to appear.

"W-what the hell was that?! What a clash! Can't see a thing though. Has the match been decided?!" yelled Present Mic.

After a few moments of letting the dust settle, the stage became visible, and it was wrecked. The entire stage that once was there was now completely rubble along with the walls that Cementoss hastily put up.

In the middle of the stage, stood the two fighters. Tobias who was rubbing his hand and Midoriya who was standing there with his fist outstretched and arm broken.

"Oh! It seems our two fighters are left standing after that clash!"

"Uh, no. Actually, he passed out." said Tobias.

"Oh my! It seems in the show of force, Tobias has come out on top, unscathed no less, while Midoriya has fallen unconscious only left standing by sheer willpower! And with just one move, the match has been decided! What a fight! Tobias moves on to the finals!" said Present Mic.

After their fists clashed, Midoriya was able to react but not quickly enough. Tobias already had a punch ready for Midoriya, one that was going right for his head which caused Midoriya to freeze up and then pass out from the imminent threat of death. Of course, Tobias was never going to go that far and was going to reduce the strength to just enough to knock him out. He didn't expect that it would be enough to scare him into unconsciousness.

Once the staff came and took Midoriya to the nurse's office, Tobias followed them and healed his arm before he left to go watch Kyoka's match.

~

"Now for the last match in the semi-finals! The match to decide who will fight Tobias for the win! Kyoka Jiro versus Shoto Todoroki! Man, Class A is really showing out today! Ready! Start!"

Todoroki began the match with a wave of ice meant to freeze Kyoka in place but she managed to roll out of the way before getting up and sonic shrieking at him. Todoroki held his ears shut while Kyoka used the opportunity to send sound blasts at him, in hopes of knocking him out of the stage.

Todoroki then created a wall of ice behind him to stop his movement before sending a big wave of ice to her again which she used her sound blasts to stop. Seeing that they would be in a stalemate at long range, Todoroki decided to rush her by freezing the ground and sliding to her.

Kyoka seeing this plugged her jacks into the ground before using her sound blast to crack the ice and the stage, making Todoroki jump to avoid stumbling. She then took this opportunity to jettison forward with her sound blast, feet outstretched for a kick.

Unfortunately for her, Todoroki was able to quickly create an ice wall in front of him which Kyoka had to break using her sound blasts which created a smokescreen allowing Todoroki the opportunity to grab her foot and encase her in ice.

"And that's the match! Todoroki moves on to the finals! A good fight by Jiro but just nearly not enough! A round of applause for both of them! And one more quick break before the finals!"

~

"Good job, I'm proud of you for getting so far." said Tobias hugging Kyoka.

"Thanks. It was stupid of me to go for that kick. I should've waited him out. I could've won."

"Hindsight is 20/20. You did good no matter what."

"Kick his ass for me."

"Yes, ma'am." he said before letting her go and starting to walk to the stage.

"Hey." said the tall man who made himself known, also known as Endeavor.

"Oh, Endeavor."

"I saw your fights. That's a strong and versatile quirk you have there. Especially that fight with the green-haired boy. In terms of power, it seems almost on par with All Might's quirk."

"Eh, what a nice compliment."

"My boy, Shoto. He has a duty to surpass All Might. His match against you will prove valuable as a test. So put up a good fight against him. That's all I have to say, sorry for my bluntness."

"You know, you really sound like a two-bit villain and a shitty father. No wonder he doesn't use his other half. Todoroki is his own person, and I don't have to put up a fight against him, he has to put one up against me. Later." he said before leaving.

~

"Alright, everyone! Here we finally are! In the finals! Two students who have dominated their respective opponents are now going to clash to decide who is number one! Tobias versus Todoroki! Ready! Start!"

"Before we begin. I recommend you use that other half of yours, or you'll lose faster." said Tobias to which Todoroki responded by launching a wave of ice.

"Sigh." said Tobias just dodging.

"I won't fight seriously until you use that other half of yours." said Tobias as he kept moving around, just dodging everything that Tobias threw at him.

"What, don't tell me you were paid by him?" said Todoroki, finally responding.

"Hmm, no. I don't care about your shitty old man. The only thing I care about right now is fighting you at full strength. And you not using that other side of yours, well that's no fun. And if it means you overcome some trauma of yours as a result, well that's okay too." said Tobias.

"Tch. I'll never use that side of mine."

"Well that's not fair to everyone else now is it? Everyone else has tried their hardest, giving it their all, to get where they are. And if you win without giving it your all, doesn't that mean you're not serious about denying your father everything? If not using that side of yours is meant to show him you can become the top hero without him, wouldn't using it and doing the same thing be even better? To show him your power is your own, and not his." said Tobias, making Todoroki stop for a moment before his left side started to burn.

"Yes! Show them Shoto! Fulfill my ambitions!" yelled Endeavor from the audience.

"Shut up, old man. You're hurting my ears." said Tobias.

"Tobias, now I'm ready to give it my all."

"Good. Let's dance, shall we?" said Tobias with a big smile before he activated a card.

"Let's." said Todoroki before he sent out a giant wave of ice to where Tobias was standing.

BOOM

"That's more like it." said Tobias after punching the incoming wave. Seeing this, Todoroki launched another, even bigger wave of ice before readying up his left side to superheat the cold air and create a huge explosion. While Tobias diverted all his power, minus the basic necessities to leave himself alive, to his right arm.

"Again! Cementoss!" said Midnight, seeing that the two were about to create a problem like Tobias and Midoriya did earlier.

BOOM

CRACK

"Again?! What is up with these Class A kids, Eraser Head?!" said Present Mic.

After waving away the resulting smokescreen, in the middle of the stage stood Tobias with both ice and heat burns on his body, a big smile on his face. While Todoroki was embedded in the wall of the stadium, unconscious.

"We have a winner! Tobias from Class A of the Hero Course has beaten Todoroki for the win! Making him our first-place winner of the Sports Festival with Todoroki as our runner-up! After another short break, we will have our awards ceremony!"

~

"Now, let's move on to the awards ceremony!" said Midnight-sensei.

"In third place, we have both Kyoka and Midoriya! In second place, Todoroki! And in first place, Tobias!"

CHEER

"Now for the medals! Presenting them this year is someone we all know!"

"I am here with the medals!" said All Might as he landed in front of the podiums.

"Congratulations, you two. Midoriya, your quickwittedness is admirable but some control with your quirk and you might have been first." he said, putting the medal around his neck before hugging him.

"Jiro, clearly you have trained hard. It's obvious you have a good grasp of your quirk. Honing your battle instincts is something I also recommend." he said, putting the medal around her neck, before hugging her.

"Todoroki, kid. Congratulations. Using that other side of yours is a step in the right direction. But don't get lost in proving your father wrong." he said, putting the medal around his neck before hugging him.

"And finally, Tobias! There's not much I can say when it comes to your quirk. But I can say this, don't get lost in chasing the battle. Nothing good can come from it." he said, putting the medal around his before hugging him.

"Well! These are your winners! But hold on, everyone! Everyone here today has the potential to be standing up here! As you all witnessed! Competition! Encouragement! Pushing each other to climb higher and higher! The sprouts of today will grow into the heroes of tomorrow! In that spirit, let's have one final cheer!"

"Plus Ultra!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AN

Sorry for the late chapter, got caught up in watching worlds. Anyways, that's the end of the Sports Festival, next the Hero Killer Arc! But that also means chaps will return to being sporadic. Maybe. Might also switch to a more stable schedule, we'll see.

Anyways, let me know what you thought of the fights. A little repetitive with the Midoriya and Todoroki fight, but felt it was right. Still, though, I will continue to strive to write better fights.

25