Provisional License 1
372 2 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After an early breakfast, courtesy of Lunch Rush this time, everyone was waiting for the bus to arrive. As to why everyone had an early breakfast that was because the entire class was anxious about the exam and couldn't sleep much.

Currently, the entire class was standing around waiting for the bus while they all chatted to keep their minds off the exam.

"You nervous? Actually never mind, I know you're not." asked Kyoka, who was clearly nervous evident by her jacks waving around.

"Hey, that makes it sound like I don't care. I'm a little hurt by that." joked Tobias.

"Right." she said rolling her eyes.

"It's fine, there's no need to be nervous. We've all trained for this. It'll be a walk in the park." said Tobias rubbing her shoulders from behind to relieve some of her nervous energy.

"Ooh, that feels nice." said Kyoka as she closed her eyes to savor the massage.

"You've got this, champ. You're gonna eat lightning and you're gonna crap thunder."

"That sounds familiar. Where's that from?" asked Kyoka.

"Rocky."

"That boring old American movie? Why are all your references from old movies? Can't you use something more modern?" she asked.

"Boring? Rocky is one of the greatest movies of all time. A down on his luck guy who rises to the top through sheer determination and will. That's basically my life story."

"Uh-huh." said Kyoka with a smile.

"Bus is here." said Tobias seeing the bus arrive.

"Go ahead, Class President." said Kyoka.

"Bus is here! Everyone load up!" said Tobias before counting to make sure everyone was present and accounted for.

"Good job. Let's go." said Aizawa.

~

"Everyone out. We're here." said Aizawa after the bus came to a stop outside the testing site.

As the students exited the bus they could see that their testing site was the National Takoba Arena. A beautifully designed arena that had a weird spiral that oddly complemented the building.

"That spiral is unnecessary. Probably compensating for something." said Tobias before gesturing with his pinky finger to which Kyoka just chuckled.

"Still no clue what this test's about. Can we really earn our licenses?" said Denki.

"Kaminari. It's not a matter of can. You will." said Aizawa.

"R-right!" said Denki, clearly still not entirely convinced.

"Earn your provisional licenses by passing this test, and you won't be mere eggs anymore, but full fledge-hatchlings reborn as Semi-Pros! Show them your best." said Aizawa as the entire class listened intensely.

"Yeah! We're gonna hatch from those eggs! Time for our cheer!"

"All together now! Plus..." said Eijiro.

"ULTRA!" yelled a stranger with everyone else.

"It's bad manners to intrude on another group's huddle. Inasa." said another student with a similar uniform to the stranger.

"Ah, you got me! I AM SO VERY SORRY!" he shouted as he bowed all the way to the ground, with his head hitting the floor.

"Who's he?" asked Kyoka.

"U.A in the east. And Shiketsu in the west." said Tobias.

"Ah, you're right. Look at their uniform."

"One of the few schools that can rival U.A." said Tobias.

"I just wanted to try saying it! Plus Ultra! I freakin' love U.A. High! It is truly an honor to compete alongside the fine students of U.A.!" he shouted as he started bleeding from his head.

"Let's go." said one of his classmates as they all walked away.

"Inasa Yoarashi." said Aizawa.

"Do you know him, sensei?" asked Toru.

"He's very strong. Yoarashi. This year he got placed into your grade at U.A. under special recommendation. His top grades were enough to open the doors for him, but for some reason, he decided not to matriculate." explained Aizawa.

"Interesting." said Tobias with a smile.

"He's a big fan of U.A., but he turned down the offer. Weird." said Kyoka.

"Weird or not, he's the real deal. Keep an eye on him." said Aizawa.

"Eraser?! Is that really you, Eraser?!" asked a green-haired woman with a bandana, blue top, striped shorts, and a belt with smiley faces as she neared Aizawa.

"That woman!" said Midoriya.

"Let's get married!" she said.

"No." retorted Aizawa.

"Kyah!" screamed Mina at the proposal.

"No thanks?! Just do it!"

"You're the same pain in the neck as always, Joke."

"The Smile Hero, Ms. Joke! Her quirk is Outburst! She can force those around her to start laughing, effectively slowing their thoughts and movements!" said Midoriya.

"Cool." said Tobias.

"Marry me, and we could build a happy household where the laughs never stop."

"Nothing about that sounds happy to me."

"Ugh!" she said.

"Ms. Joke, could this be unrequited love?!" asked Mina.

"No. Our agencies were close by, way back when! I'd save him a few times, and he'd save me. We fell in love, and you know how it goes. So not unrequited love. He's just shy." she said.

"It went nowhere. Stop lying." retorted Aizawa.

"So, Aizawa-sensei is the shy type, huh? Never would've guessed." said Tobias.

"He's a real tsun- Ugh!" she was saying before she got chopped by Aizawa.

"So your school's here too?"

"See, a tsundere. Anyway, yeah. Come on over, everyone! Come meet U.A.!" she said before a couple of students made their way over with matching white polos.

"Whoa! It's really them!" said a spiky black-haired student.

"Wowee! All those guys from TV!" said a girl.

"This is Class 2-2 of Ketsubutsu Academy! Say hello to my students." she said before the black-haired student rushed up to the U.A. group.

"My name's Shindo! U.A.'s had it rough this year, right? The hits just keep coming." he said grabbing Midoriya's hand with a big smile.

"But you guys still have your hearts set on becoming heroes. That's awesome!" he said grabbing the other students' hands before reaching Tobias.

"I believe the heroes of tomorrow need to have that kind of fortitude! Best of all, Fukushima-kun, who won the Sports Festival! I'm so glad we get a chance to face guys of your caliber today. We're going to give it our best!" he said putting out a hand to Tobias.

"Your lips say one thing while your smile says another. You have a real sinister vibe to you. Like a snake. Nice to meet you." said Tobias with a grin before shaking his hand.

"Tobias. Sorry for his rudeness." said Kyoka.

"Not a problem!" he said before going back to rejoin his school.

"What was that about?" asked Kyoka.

"He's hiding his true face. He's trying to catch everyone off guard with the nice guy act." explained Tobias.

"Eh, really? I couldn't tell." said Kyoka.

"He's good that's why."

"Hey! Change into your costumes. The info session's about to start so stop wasting time!" said Aizawa.

"Okay!" said the class before walking off to change.

~

After changing into their costumes, they made their way to the hall where the test would begin. Luckily they had gotten ready quickly because the hall was jam-packed with people.

"There are more people than I thought there would be." said Kyoka as she looked around.

"Everyone wants to be a hero. Whether that be to be a hero, the fame, or the money." said Tobias.

"I don't think those last two types will pass." said Kyoka.

"Really? I think they're the most likely to pass. Money and power are powerful driving factors for a person."

"A little negative, but I get your point." said Kyoka as she looked at Tobias only for him to be looking around with a smile.

"What's up?"

"I think we're in trouble."

"What? What do you mean?" she asked as she looked around.

"Everyone's looking at us."

"So? It's probably because we're U.A."

"Exactly." he said still with a smile. But before Kyoka could ask him what he meant by that the event began.

"Ehem." said the man at the podium to gather everyone's attention.

"The Provisional License Exam. That's what you're here for. I'm Mera, with the Heroes Public Safety Commission. My favorite type of sleep is non-rem sleep. Nice to meet you all. Work is so busy that I barely get any sleep! We're terribly short-staffed! Just wanna sleep!" he said with a trembling voice.

"Anyway, all 1,540 examines present will be competing in one massive free-for-all exercise!" he said.

"Kinda simple." said Kyoka.

"Today's society is saturated with heroes. And ever since Stain's capture, plenty of people out there have raised doubts about the role heroes should play. That said as far as individuals go motivations aside, telling those who risk their lives in order to save others to ask for nothing in return would be rather harsh, especially in modern society. So no matter the motivation, we have no shortage of heroes out there working to save people and put villains away.

The time to resolve any given incident is incredibly short. Those of you who earn the license will be confronting situations that unfold at breakneck speed. Those who can't keep up are doomed to fail. Which is why we're testing you on speed! Only the first hundred examinees to meet the requirements will pass."

"Interesting." said Tobias.

"Hold on! With 1,540 of us total, that's not even close to half!"

"Society is rarely so kind. There's no relying on luck. Now, the passing requirements involve these." he said before showing a ball and a target.

"Each examinee will get three targets that can be placed wherever on the body as long as they're visible. Each of you will carry six balls. The targets are designed to light up only when struck by a ball. You're disqualified the instant that all three of your targets are lit. Those with three illuminated targets are considered "defeated." To pass, you must "defeat" two other examinees. That's it for the rules." he explained.

"This is even harsher than the U.A. exam." said Tobias.

"So we'll be handing out balls and targets once this place opens up. The exam will begin one minute after all examines are fully equipped." he said before the hall they were in started to rumble and opened up to reveal a giant arena with multiple types of environments. Industrial zones, mountains, skyscrapers, waterfalls, a mall, residential areas, they had it all.

"Make the best use of your talents. We've carefully thought about all factors as we came up with these environments. What a drag. So much sleep lost." he said before signaling everyone to come up to get their equipment.

"What'd you mean by everyone was looking at us?" asked Kyoka now that they had time.

"Eh? Everyone was looking at us?" asked Mina who overheard them.

"Yes. Everyone was looking at us. But it wasn't like usual. When everyone looks at us because we're from U.A. it's nothing. I don't even register that anymore. But this time they were looking at us with malintent." explained Tobias as they got their targets and balls.

"Malintent?"

"Mm. I think they're gonna gang up on us." he said with a smile.

"Eh?!"

"Gang up on us?! Why?!" asked Mina.

"Because we're known." said Midoriya who overheard the conversation.

"Exactly. Out of everyone here, who has been in the limelight the most?" asked Tobias.

"U.A." said Kyoka.

"Our moves aren't secret to them. But theirs are a secret to us."

"So, the best thing to do off the bat would be to get rid of U.A. whom they have the most information on." said Ida.

"Correct. By grouping up by schools, they have a better chance of winning as well. So, it'll become a fight between schools. And who's the best target?"

"U.A." said Midoriya.

"Tch, they better come at me all at once, it'll be easier for me to blow them away! Screw grouping up. This isn't some class picnic. I'm going." said Bakugo before leaving.

"Get back here, you dummy!" said Eijiro before going after him.

"I'm out too. I can't make good use of my power if we're packed together. Good luck." said Todoroki before leaving.

"What about you, Tobias?" asked Midoriya.

"Mm, well I do want to finish as fast as possible. But I also want everyone to pass. So, I'll stick around. It should be fun."

"4." said the announcer.

"Let's move." said Tobias before the group started moving.

"3."

"Look." said Kyoka as she pointed out that most of the groups surrounding them started to make their way to them.

"2."

"Looks like I was right."

"1."

"This'll be fun." said Tobias with a smile as he took out a card.

"Start!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AN

Third weekly chapter coming later today or tomorrow

17