First Day as a Hero (Kinda)
1.7k 5 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Whoa. That card of yours is awesome." said Mirko as she saw that they were back in the rented apartment.

"Yeah, it's very convenient to train with."

"Think you can make me one that I can use whenever?"

"In the future, sure, right now, no. The stamina it takes for me to create a permanent sub-space is insane, so creating a permanent one and one so big is going to be a while."

"Shame. Would really like one to train with Usa. Oh well."

"Speaking of Usa, it seems you've trained her very well." said Tobias, remembering how beat-up Dratini looked after calling them back.

"Of course I have. She's my partner and my friend. But, boy was it funny seeing your Dratini all beat up. Like father, like son. Hahaha!"

"It's not like Usa came out unscathed. She was pretty beat up too."

"Not as much. Anyway, I'm hungry so make some food like last time." she said as she sat down on the couch before turning on the TV.

"Aren't we going to do hero work?"

"After we eat. We're only human, you know."

~

After eating, Mirko lazed around and watched TV for a bit before deciding that it was time to do some patrolling. The pair suited up before Mirko told Tobias to keep up which resulted in a chase that ended with both of them on top of the tallest building, overlooking the city.

SNIFF

"Smell that. That's the smell of people, going about and living their lives." said Mirko.

"I thought you would say something like that's the smell of villains ready to get a face full of foot."

"Haha. There is that too." she said as he continued to look out into the city.

"But hero work is much more than fighting villains. It's protecting the peace. It's helping people. It's hard work. But it's worth it because you get to see their smiles when they see you. A smile that says thank you, even if they don't say it verbally. A smile that can continue to smile for years to come even if it comes at the cost of you breaking every bone in your body."

"Wow."

"So, are you ready for that? Are you ready for the possibility of laying down your life for the greater good? And maybe not even the greater good. Laying down your life for one person." she asked, staring right into his eyes.

"I am." he said, returning her stare.

"Good. Consider that lesson 2."

"What about lesson 1?"

"What do you think that beating you took earlier was?" she said with a smile.

"Haha. So, now what?"

"Well, now we patrol the city. If we come across any crime, we put a stop to it and report it to the proper authorities. Then we write up a report and send it in. Or we get a dispatch request from the cops and go help out and we do reports on what happened there as well."

"No, I know that. I meant more like what are we going to do next?"

"Hey! I'm your mentor right now and when I'm in teaching mode you listen! Got it?!" she shouted, covering up for her over-explanation.

"Yes, ma'am."

"Good. Now, let's go patrol. Hopefully, it won't be too slow of a day. I'm raring for some action."

"I thought you said being a hero was about protecting the people?"

"That doesn't mean I can't have fun beating up villains."

~

After their little talk, the two of them began their patrol of the city by running across rooftops and stopping on them for a few minutes before moving on to the next block.

"I have to say, there is something liberating about running across rooftops." said Tobias as he jumped over to the next rooftop.

"I love it. Best way to get around especially with a quirk like mine. I can jump across multiple rooftops at once and get places extra quickly." said Mirko as she stood on the edge of the building, overlooking the civilians.

"Help! He took my purse!" shouted a lady as a man with rollerskates on his feet ran away, purse in hand.

"First fish of the day! Go for it! And remember, no ranged abilities."

"Okay." said Tobias before releasing his duel disk, which he had decided to start using more when in his hero costume. Both as an item linked to him and as a paper tiger, so his enemies think it's a crucial piece of equipment, which he has added countermeasures for.

"What's that?" asked Mirko.

"My duel disk. It's so I can store more cards and activate them with a thought. It also makes me look cooler, don't you think?" explained Tobias before a card moved from the deck into one of the slots and activated, summoning Tobias' trusty hoverboard.

"Kinda nerdy."

"That's uncalled for." said Tobias while hopping on the hoverboard and speeding off the edge of the building, riding the wall down, and landing on the ground. Or hovering off the ground a few centimeters.

"Stop!" shouted Tobias at the purse snatcher, both to let his presence be known and to let the bystanders know a hero was there.

"Some no-name hero thinks he can catch me?! Hahaha!" yelled the thief before speeding up and swerving in between civilians.

'Too many people in the way for me to catch up to him, not to mention he's very good at rollerblading. I'll go on the side of the buildings.' thought Tobias before moving to do so.

Speeding up while making sure he didn't hit anything, Tobias quickly shortened the distance with the thief.

"What the hell is that?!" said the thief, looking back and seeing Tobias riding on the side of buildings.

With the thief turning back to look at Tobias, he stopped paying attention to where he was going causing him to unconsciously slow down. Tobias noticed this and quickly accelerated, closing the distance, before he jumped off his hoverboard and tackled the thief to the ground.

"Ow. Come on. No need to be so rough. It was just a purse." said the thief as Tobias used a card to hogtie him up with rope.

"Good job. Took too long though." said Mirko as she landed right next to Tobias.

"I know. I just realized how much I rely on my ranged abilities. I could've caught him instantly if I used them." said Tobias.

"Instantly? I don't know about that. I would've gotten away." said the thief, offended at Tobias' statement.

"Shut up." said Mirko, glaring at him.

"Did you call the police?" asked Tobias.

"Yup. Should be here any moment now. Before that, look around." she said.

Tobias did as she said and noticed that a crowd had formed around them, with a lot of them taking pictures and talking about Mirko. But he also heard a lot of them asking who he was.

"Whoa."

"Congratulation on your debut." she said, patting him on the back.

"Cool." said Tobias with a smile, hidden by his mask.

"Um, excuse me?" said the thief.

"What?" said Mirko.

"Can you lift me up? There's a bug crawling my way and I don't want it to go into my nose or mouth." he said while blowing air at the bug to make it go away.

"Fine. But stop talking." said Mirko as she easily lifted him up to a seating position. Or as best as she could since he was hogtied.

"E-excuse me." said the lady whose purse was taken.

"Here's your purse." said Mirko.

"Thank you." she said bowing to her.

"Don't thank me, thank him. He caught the guy." she said, pointing at Tobias.

"Thank you."

"Not a problem."

"Can I ask, what's your name?"

"Wild Card, ma'am. Pleasure to make your acquaintance." said Tobias, deepening his voice and taking his hat off like a true gentleman from the American South.

"O-oh my." said the lady, blushing a bit.

"Why'd you make your voice deeper?" asked Mirko.

"I don't know what you are referring to. My voice is always this octave."

"C-can I have a picture? And an autograph?" said the lady.

"Of course, ma'am, it'd be my pleasure to be photographed with such a beautiful young lady."

"Y-young? You're joking, right? I'm already 40." said the lady as she handed the phone to Mirko to take a picture, who looked a little peeved at being made a photographer.

"You don't look a day over 25 to me."

"Oh my." she said, blushing while posing for the picture.

"Alright, enough of that. The cops are here." said Mirko.

"Thank you both." said the lady once more before leaving.

"Don't tell me you deepened your voice and became a hero to pick up girls? Don't you have a girlfriend?" asked Mirko as they waited for the cops to walk over.

"I was just having fun. I am half-American after all so I thought doing a Southern gentleman type of vibe would work with my costume."

"I guess, but I'm keeping my eye on you."

~

After telling the police what happened, they handed over the thief to them, and Tobias was tasked with writing up a report about the events.

Thankfully he had experience from having to write Mirko's reports from his time during the internship so he was able to finish it quickly before going back on patrol.

Unfortunately, the rest of the day passed without another incident and the pair ended their day back where they started, on top of the roof of the tallest building.

"Slow day, today." said Tobias as he ate a sandwich he had made for the both of them.

"Can't be helped. There are too many heroes nowadays, so patrolling doesn't usually net anything. The real action happens when you get a dispatch request." she said as she ate her sandwich laying down with her head resting on the edge of the building.

RING RING

"Is that a dispatch request?" asked Tobias.

"No, just a phone call." said Mirko as she sat up. Seeing who the caller was, her face got a little smile before she answered.

"What's up? Uh-huh. Uh-huh. Okay. Can I bring the kid? Okay. Got it. Later." she said before hanging up.

"Bring me where?"

"A case."

"What case?"

"All Might's former sidekick, Nighteye asked for help."

"Nighteye? That means it's a big case."

"Yup. The investigation and takedown of the villain group Shie Hassaikai. And the League of Villains might be involved too."

"League of Villains?"

"Yup, the big bad guys. Fun, huh?" she said with a smile.

"Yeah, fun." he said with a similar smile.

15