Chapter 10: Pass or Fail
301 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“My first impression of you all, is that you’re a bunch of idiots.” Kakashi said.

Honestly I kind of had to agree with him. Naruto had let his grades slip to the point he was last in the class, Sakura couldn’t stop fawning over Sasuke, Sasuke didn’t do anything to stop the prank, what with his perpetual better-than-thou' thing going on. As for me? Well I actively participated in the prank, that doesn’t make me much better than Naruto; but I mean come on, he’s an Elite Jounin ninja. I kind of had to agree with Sasuke for once, there was no way he should have fallen for it.

“Alright, now that I'm finally here, let's go to the roof so we can continue.” Kakashi said.

“You could have been here on time” we all grumbled.

On the roof we sat down on some steps with Kakashi leaning on the rail.

“Now, I know Iruka asked you this question back in the Academy. However, I want to know how your answers have changed. So, one at a time; tell me things you like, things you hate, hobbies, dreams for the future, that kind of thing.” Kakashi said.

“Naruto, you go first. I don’t want to.” I told Naruto.

“Fine, believe it! My name is Naruto Uzumaki. I love Ramen in all its forms, but I hate when you have to wait for the ramen to be done. I wish I could just eat it instantly. My hobby is comparing different kinds of Ramen. For my dream I wish to become the greatest Hokage! That way the whole village will stop disrespecting me!” Naruto said.

My eyes flashed at that last part. This village was nowhere near good enough for Naruto. Why would he want to help this terrible village who couldn’t get over their blind hate? I knew enough hate to see what it could do to people. It was why the Void elves were disowned by the Blood Elves; our ancestors. We had chosen to take some control over the Void instead of blindly fearing and hating it. We had sought to understand it, study, and live with it; the Blood Elves couldn’t see past their fear and cast us out. Thus we joined the Alliance, who were much more accepting of us, and always in need of strong allies. 

“You next, on the left.” Kakashi said.

“My name is Sakura Haruno. Who I like is… My hobby is uhh… And my dream for the future is…” Every start to her sentence ended with a shy glance and ended with a squeal. “And I hate NARUTO!” she finished with an ear piercing yell.

“Do you have to squeal so damn loudly Pinkie?” I asked the girl, trying to get the ringing out of my ears.

“What did you just call me?!” she asked indignantly.

“Pinkie. Because your hair is such an unnatural shade of pink” I told her, still mostly ignoring the harpy.

“I have a name you know.” she said angrily.

“Yes I know, however I don't respect you enough to use it. When you stop belittling others for no reason, maybe then I'll use your name” I told the girl.

“Hmph” she said and turned away from me.

“Alright, that’s enough. Let’s continue” Kakashi said with a sigh, pinching the bridge of his nose.

“I suppose I'll go next then. My name is Kari Nara, I love Ninjutsu and learning new things. I hate people who can’t see past the surface of who someone is. I don’t have many hobbies other than training. My dream for the future is to become the greatest shinobi to ever live.” I said. 

“Interesting. Next!” Kakashi said.

“My name is Sasuke Uchiha, I have many things I hate, and I don't particularly like anything. What I have is not a dream, but a promise, as I will make it happen.” Sasuke said, as gloomy as ever, although after what happened our second year in the academy I can kind of see why.

“Alright, good. Tomorrow, we will all go on our first mission together, a training mission” Kakashi said.

“More training, but why? That’s what the academy was for” Sakura complained.

“Isn’t it obvious Pinkie? Use that head of yours for more than fantasizing about Sasuke. It’s the real graduation exam.” I said. After thinking it over, it made Sense. We could be assigned to a Jounin, but that didn’t mean the Jounin had to teach us. There weren’t very many of them compared to other ninjas, so why would they waste their time teaching a bunch of kids who had no future as Shinobi?

“I have a name!” Pinkie yelled.

“Very good Kari, maybe not all of you are lost causes. Yes, it is the second graduation exam. Of all the students who came here, only 9 will pass, the rest will be sent back to the Academy. The Academy is meant to separate the students; those who would make good Shinobi, and those who would not.”

“What kinda bullshit is that? Didn’t we waste our time up until now?” Naruto questioned.

“No, not entirely. You still have a thirty-three percent chance to pass” Kakashi said with a chuckle.

“C’mon! That’s so unfair” Naruto continued.

“That’s how it is, I decide if any of you will become Ninja. All of you could fail, all of you could pass, or only one of you could pass” Kakashi said.

I honestly didn’t know how I would fare. I had worked my ass off in the academy, crawling my way up to the top of the class. That didn’t mean much though when the group you were at the top of were a bunch of kids. Curse my luck being reborn in a ninja village when I sucked at close combat. Why couldn’t it have been in a world where magic reigned supreme? I would have dominated. Ugh. It is what it is though, and all I can do is work with what I was given. At the very least I was very close to being able to summon one of my demons. I wanted so badly to see them again, I felt like I wasn't complete without them around me for so long. I’d heard other Demonology Warlocks who had been unable to summon their demons say the same thing, so I supposed it was normal.

“All of you meet me at the third training ground tomorrow morning at sunrise. Oh, and you should skip breakfast, or you’ll puke” said Kakashi.

Bullshit. You should never fight on an empty stomach, and you should never fight on a full stomach. He might be my Sensei for now, but I wasn’t going to listen to such a stupid rule. Also he wanted us to be there at sunrise? After how late he was today I wasn't so sure that even he was going to be there at sunrise.

After that he dismissed us and I pulled Naruto aside. I knew those other two would have thought the same thing as me. Naruto was different however. He would do exactly what the Sensei told him in hopes of getting stronger.

“Psst, hey Naruto.” I said.

“What’s up Kari?” Naruto looked a little gloomy. 

“You should have a small breakfast tomorrow.” I told him.

“What? But Kakashi Sensei told us not to.” he replied, surprised.

“I know, but it had to have been a test. There’s no way he wouldn’t know that you perform best when you have something small in your stomach when you fight.” I explained.

“Really? That snake! I’m gonna stuff myself full then just to show him” he declared.

I knocked him on the head with a fist.

“No you idiot, that’s exactly the wrong thing to do. You’ll end up proving the Sensei correct by puking. Just eat something small. Like a single bowl of Ramen instead of your usual 12.” I said with exasperation. I knew he wouldn’t have thought of this on his own.

“Ooooh, okay, thanks Kari, i’ll see you tomorrow then!” he said while waving to me.

Well now, what to do? I knew I had to be stronger first and foremost. Strength seemed to rule in this world. I would never be the best at Taijutsu, that just wasn’t my forte, so I knew I had to be the best at Ninjutsu. I thought about Genjutsu, but that wasn’t really my thing. I didn’t like the idea of controlling someone else's mind, and so I had learned just enough to defend against it. 

Heading home lost in my thoughts, it wasn’t long before I got to my front door.

“Kari, is that you hun?” mom asked from somewhere in the house.

“Yeah mom.” I said after taking off my shoes in the entryway.

Walking into the living room, I expected to see dad, but was nowhere to be found.

“Where are Shikamaru and Dad?” I yelled to her.

“Shikamaru is still on a mission with his Sensei, and your father was called by the Hokage for something he couldn’t tell me” mom said, walking into the living room so we wouldn’t have to yell.

“Ah, Mom, do you know anything about Kakashi Hatake?” I asked.

“Oh no, did you get him as your Sensei?” mom questioned with some sadness.

“Yes… why?” I responded with some caution.

“It’s just that he has failed every single team he was given charge of” mom said. Apparently accepting already that I'd be sent back to the academy.

Fuck.

“Dammit, just when I thought I'd be rid of that place forever. Ugh, but I still need to try and pass. Who knows, I might be that one exception.” I told her hopefully.

“You may have a point, but the main thing I can tell you about Kakashi is that he is one of the most talented shinobi in the village. Second is that he is always late to everything. Absolutely everything. If he tells you to be somewhere, show up at least 2 hours late, and you’ll still probably beat him there.” mom said.

What a guy…

“Thanks mom, I appreciate it. I’m going to go practice my jutsu some more. Let me know when dinner is ready?” I said to her,

“Of course dear, be careful as always.” mom said.

I decided the best place to try my summoning was somewhere secluded. The basement maybe? Outside there were too many people who could see something that a 12 year old shouldn’t be able to do. I thought about what demon I needed right now. I needed one that could cover for my close range weakness, so Aztog; my Fel Imp was out. He was focused on long range like me, so would be the most helpful when the enemy was distracted.

Next up, was my Observer. Most people had Fel Hunters, however I had chosen to bond with an Observer instead, they did lots of the same things, but an Observer wasn’t restricted to being on the ground. Sometimes that aerial advantage was key. The problem was that the observer was best when it wasn’t being attacked, just like with the Imp even though it was classed as a Melee fighter.

My Succubus was also out since she wasn’t the greatest combatant. Her skills lay in espionage and gathering information. Perfect for a ninja companion, however right now I needed strength. She had strength, after all she could just as easily cleave a person in two with her whip, but she could only fight one person at a time, and among my demons, was still the weakest in terms of raw strength. Her strengths were elsewhere.

That left my Void Lord, and Wrathguard. My easiest to summon, and my hardest to summon demons respectively. Wrathguard was the best all around demon i had, but he was fucking massive. I wouldn’t be able to ever hide him, and it would be the hardest to explain how a 12 year old could summon him. From what I could tell, he was at the level where Elite Veteran shinobi would have trouble summoning him if that was one of the skills they had. So that left my Void Lord. I supposed it was fitting, since he was also the first demon I'd summoned back on Azeroth.

Arriving in the basement, I began trying to summon my first demon for the second time.

After some thought I had decided to try and use pure Yin chakra to summon my demon. It wasn’t hard since I was used to using my family's jutsu based on the Yin release. I started off with visualizing how I used my summoning spell. I moved my chakra to my hands with that image in mind. Normally I'd need to use some hand gestures for spells, but since learning how to use Jutsu without the hand signs, I supposed I could translate that to my spells. 

I Immediately felt a drain on my chakra; more so than anything else I've used so far. My chakra built in my hand until I roughly estimated that twenty percent of my chakra had taken the form of a Shadowy cobalt blue and jet black shifting aura enveloping my hand. I couldn’t even see my hand beneath the swirling mass of shadows. If not for that summoning scroll I had found earlier, I wouldn't have been able to pull this off. I needed the knowledge from this world on how teleporting worked. Since I was essentially pulling a creature from one dimension to another, I needed knowledge of both dimensions. 

So far I hadn’t done anything with the chakra yet, so I started trying to summon my demon like I normally would. I hadn’t even finished my thought before my chakra fizzled out and another ten percent seemed to vanish into nothing. Okay thankfully I hadn’t lost control of the spell; barely. That didn’t work, so I needed to try something else. How did the summoning scroll use space-time again? It seemed to fold it in half to bring the two points closer. Fuck.

I should have done more research before trying this, but it was too late now. Pressing on I tried to use a combination of how I knew to summon my demon, and using the connection I could still barely feel with my demon to bend space and time to connect us. I imagined us to slowly be getting closer, but still staying where we were. The only thing moving was the fabric of reality. Fuck this was hard. My Chakra was almost half gone.

I kept at this for what felt like hours, before I finally felt the connection between us grow stronger. Us being bonded together by our souls meant that the connection would never vanish, no matter how far apart we got, it would only get weaker. Now I could feel the slight surprise my demon felt at my call. Why? He should know that I was still alive shouldn’t he? His surprise changed to seething rage, then to what could only be… joy? The joy turned to eagerness and I felt him trying to finish the connection on his side.

A portal the same colors as the aura coating my hands had started to form beside me, although I was too focused to notice. Finally the connection snapped into place, and my chakra was almost completely gone. The last thing I saw before passing out were the glowing purple tinged white eyes of my demon flowing out of the portal.

-

Yoshino felt something was wrong in her house. There was a darkness settling in that she couldn’t identify. What was happening? This wasn’t the normal darkness of the Nara clan. It was something more complete. Her first thought was Kari, but how could Kari do this? She hadn’t learned anything more than the Nara clan secret Jutsu.

She needed to call Shikaku back and figure out what this was. As a prominent clan of the village, she had access to messenger hawks, so she sent for her husband to return.

Shikaku had finished his important talks with the hokage some time ago, and they were now just shooting the shit.

“And then she had made him fall flat on his face!” he said, making them both laugh.

Suddenly there was a knock on the door.

“Enter.” said the Hokage.

“Sir, we received a messenger Hawk from Yoshino Nara, she requests that her husband return to the house immediately.” the ninja said.

“What? It must be something very important for her to request that. How odd. I shall go now, if I may be excused, Lord Hokage?” Shikaku asked.

“Yes of course, go home to your wife. Would you like an Anbu to accompany you?” the Hokage asked.

“I appreciate the thought, but everything should be fine. If it was really that serious, Yoshino wouldn't have just asked me to come home, and instead she’d have asked for more.” Shikaku said before leaving the office.

Arriving home, Shikaku could tell straight away why his wife had called him home. There was a darkness around the compound that wasn’t there before. The other Ninja of the house were on edge and seemed relieved when he arrived.

Making his way to his wife, he found her in front of the door to the basement.

“Yoshino, what’s wrong?” he asked.

“I’m sure you noticed the darkness surrounding the estate. I think it’s coming from our basement, though I have no idea why.” she told her husband.

“Where are Shikamaru and Kari?” he questioned, worried for his kids.

“Shikamaru is off with his Sensei on a mission, and Kari came home some time ago and decided to train. I can’t find her anywhere in the compound, so she must be in here.” Yoshino hadn’t been this scared since the nine tails attack.

“So why are you out here and not in the basement?” Shikaku asked.

“For some reason, I can't open the door.” she told him.

“Let me try” he said, and tried the door.

Sure enough it wouldn’t budge. When he tried he could see a deeper darkness creep out from underneath the door. Deciding to be more drastic, he attempted to kick the door down. It worked after a few attempts and both adults rushed downstairs.

What they saw downstairs utterly shocked them. Their daughter was lying on the ground in the fetal position, and around her was a massive shadowy creature. Around was the right word, because it seemed to be engulfing her. Neither adult had any clue what it was doing to her, and they prepared for a fight.

“Leave now, weaklings. None shall touch my master a second time!” the creature yelled out. Its unnatural voice shook the house as it yelled.

“Your master is not here, creature. Leave now before we must get violent.” Shikaku said to it. With his daughter unconscious in the room, he didn’t want to have to fight if he didn’t have to.

“SILENCE!!!! My master summoned me here, and I will kill anyone who comes close” it roared again. Once again shaking the house.

Its master summoned it here? How? Who could have done such a thing? Why would anyone summon this monster to his house? He gazed upon his daughter laying on the ground. Could it be?

“Leave my daughter alone!” Yoshino said, charging the creature.

“Yoshino, don’t!” Shikaku said, trying to stop his wife but it was too late.

The creature saw the puny woman charging him and his master. He wasn’t sure what in the void was going on, but his master was vulnerable and he would allow no harm to come to her again. He had already chewed out Arax’arad for his failure last time. He would not make the same mistake. He wasn’t sure where they were, but until his master woke up he would need to remain vigilant. 

The woman was weak. Stronger than the average human, but still weak to him. All it took was a mild swing of his shadowy arm to toss her aside. Despite his words earlier, he knew that while his master wouldn’t hesitate to kill her enemies, she hated mindless slaughter. He didn’t intend to kill the woman, as she seemed to want to protect something as well. 

“Creature, who is your master? Why have you been summoned here?” Shikaku asked it, barely restraining himself from attacking as well. He was more powerful than Yoshino, but any wrong move and the thing could have killed his daughter.

“Are you blind, human? If I am here to protect my master, where else would I be than by her side?” the monster said with a sneer.

How was that possible? The only other person in the room was Kari. Then… it was true? His daughter had summoned this thing? How? Why? Did she make a mistake with that summoning scroll she had found in the library? If what it said was true, then 

That meant he didn’t have to fight it. They were after the same thing.

“Creature, are you familiar with the concept of parents?” Shikaku started.

“Yes.”

“Then please, don’t harm my daughter beneath you.” he pleaded.

“Pshhh. How could she possibly be your offspring? You are no elf.” he told the human before it.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about, but she is no “elf” either. She is human just like me” Shikaku explained to it. What was going on?

“Impossi….” the demon started but stopped when he looked at the woman below him.

Indeed, she was no elf, but instead a human. A tiny one at that. No trace of her previous elven heritage to be seen. What the hell happened when she and Arax’arad had fallen into that portal in Ardenweald? While he could tell her appearance had changed, her soul had not. He had felt the tug on his own when she called for him. He had been told she was dead by the other demons time and time again. That he should hurry up and find a new contract already. He refused. He knew she was still alive because of the tiny thread that still connected their souls. Wherever they found themselves, he would never leave again. He never understood why the other demons seemed to hate their masters. Maybe she was just different. In any case, she would never be alone again. Whether she wanted to be or not. 

Unknown to both the demon and warlock, the time apart had affected them both. While she had some friends and family, the Void Lord demon had been alone in the void dimension this entire time. Some time alone was normal for demons, however it was unheard of for them to spend centuries alone.

“Creature, if you understand, please stand down. I just want to make sure my daughter is alright.” Shikaku tried to convince it.

“Fine. If you make any move to harm her, I will kill you where you stand” it said to the human. He condensed down from his massive almost shadowy cloud form into a slightly more humanoid form with hulking shoulders, long arms that ended with claws. His legs faded into shadows and were unable to be seen.

Shikaku had no worries then. After all, why would he harm his daughter? He was still wary of the thing though. An unknown entity had been summoned by his daughter, and other than protection, he had no idea on the motives of the creature.

He reached his daughter and felt for a pulse. Still alive. Thank fuck. But why wouldn’t she wake up? While he knew some first aid, he was no medical ninja. He turned to his wife to see if she was okay, but she started to groan before he could stand. He went over anyway.

“Yoshino, are you alright?” he asked his wife

“Ugh, my head. What happened? Where is the creature?” Yoshino panicked.

“Calm down, the situation is mostly resolved.” he explained.

“The creature is right there next to our daughter. How can the situation be resolved?!” she almost yelled.

“That creature was summoned by our daughter, if the thing is to be believed. I don’t know how, but for now it seems non hostile.” Shikaku said. Standing up from his wife, he moved back to his daughter. 

“Creature, if you want your master to be fine, you need to listen” he said to it.

“Is that a threat?” it asked.

“No, of course not. I don’t know what is wrong with her, so I need to take her to a place of healing to find out.” Shikaku explained to the thing.

“Are humans so blind in this world? Her energy is depleted from the summoning. She simply needs time to recover” the demon said after looking over his master. What he didn’t say was that he could tell since he was bound to her soul.

“Be that as it may, I still want to take her with me. Just to be safe.” Shikaku said.

“Very well human” it said.

“Can you become more inconspicuous? Your unusual form will freak the people out” asked the Shinobi.

“Fine.” it grumbled. He had been cooped up for so long, he wanted to be out and about for a while, but until his master woke up to explain the situation, he didn’t want to draw attention. 

Using a new ability he had gained during their time apart, he exploded into a mass of shadows before condensing into Kari’s own shadow. Always ready to strike when needed.

“Well that was interesting. The tactical uses of that would be limitless” Shikaku said, shaking his head as he picked up his daughter and headed to the hospital. Yoshino following closely behind.

Passing out was not a good experience. Especially when you passed out for the reason I did. I had almost killed myself again. Nearly depleting all my chakra was a bonehead move, however I didn't expect the summoning to take so much of it. The Summoning! Did it work? 

Opening my eyes, I looked around to find myself in a private hospital room. I was on the top floor and I could see the whole village from the floor to ceiling windows. Being in a hospital was a first for me. After all, my world had magic that could bring back the dead, and heal fetal wounds with ease. What need did we have for hospitals?

“KARI!” I heard someone call out. Looking over I saw my mother with tears in her eyes.

“Mom, why am I in the hospital?” I wasn’t injured at all, I just used way too much chakra.

“Because you almost died, you idiot!” she yelled. Mom didn’t say things like that unless she was really worried.

“I’m sorry mom, I didn't mean to.” I said, only telling her a half truth. 

“You worried me sick young lady. What were you thinking?!” she demanded.

“I wasn’t. I made a mistake in a jutsu I was trying to use.” I explained, trying not to meet her eyes. I had fought against countries and legions of enemies in multiple wars, but nothing was scarier than an enraged parent.

“A mistake? A MISTAKE? You call almost killing yourself with chakra depletion merely a MISTAKE?!” mom screamed. 

“I know it was stupid, but I thought I knew what I was doing. I had no reason to believe this would happen. I knew it would use a lot of my chakra, but not ALL of it” I explained somewhat defensively. If I knew that trying to summon my demon would almost kill me, I would have waited until I was stronger.

“Kari, you have to be more careful with jutsu. You were almost dead. You had barely a sliver of chakra left.” mom sighed, calming down slightly.

“I know mom, I will be more careful in the future” I didn’t want to say next time, because there would be no next time. I wasn’t going to make that same mistake again.

“Good. Now tell me about this creature that’s been following you around like a lost puppy.” mom demanded.

Huh? What was she talking about? If the summoning had worked, he should have been in the room.

At the mention of said creature, he materialized out of my shadow. He wasn’t supposed to be able to do that; new ability? He was bigger than I remembered. He had crimson plates on his shoulders, outlined in black. On each shoulder plate were two spikes, one longer than the other and in line with each other moving towards his head. More plates of the same color were strategically placed around his body to allow movement, but still protect him. His shoulders were massive, and his arms thicker around than my torso. 

Being a creature made of shadow meant that he was always amorphous, never keeping the same shape for long. However he always had the same vague humanoid shape with no legs.

“Master, it is good to see you again.” the creature sighed.

“What does it mean ‘again’, have you summoned this thing before?” mom asked, turning to it.

While mom's head was turned I shook my head at my demon for him to shut it. I hadn’t told anyone that I wasn't from this world.

“No, I must just look like someone he once saw. Isn’t that right?” I asked him pointedly.

“Uhh yes, my mistake” he said in his deep voice, with almost an echo in every word he spoke.

“How was it that you managed to summon it?” mom asked.

“Honestly I have no idea, I was trying to use the summon scroll I found in the clan library. I tried using it again since it failed the first time. Something must have gone wrong and instead he was summoned.” I told her, lying through my teeth. The only unforeseen thing that happened was losing so much chakra. Even now, I was only at about half capacity.

“Interesting. Now that your master is awake, don’t you wish to go home and talk with your fellow…. I have no idea what you are.” mom asked my demon.

“No, never. I will stay here until she commands me otherwise. After all, who will protect her if not I?” he said to her.

Mom’s eyes widened a bit at that, and she asked again “But surely you don’t want to stay here, you’ve already been stuck in this room for a couple days now.” 

“It does not matter. We are connected by our souls, and I can tell she would like me to stay. So I will stay.” he reaffirmed.

“What kind of scroll was that? You should only have to use some blood, not your soul to summon!” mom said worriedly. 

“It’s fine mom. Honestly. I think he will be very useful in the future.” I said, sending an apology across the link we shared. I didn’t like referring to my demons as tools, but how could I explain that to mom?

“What’s done is done I suppose. But listen dear, you must not tell anyone about this new power of yours. There are some powerful people who would like to get their hands on you” mom said.

“Anyone who wishes her harm will die horribly” my demon said.

I caught a small smile on my mom's face at that. It seemed he was warming up to her. Hopefully all my demons can do so when the time comes. Then I remembered something.

Crap!

“Mom, you said I’d been here for a couple days?! What about Kakashi’s test?! I was supposed to pass or be sent back to the academy.”I said, panicking. I could NOT go back to the academy.

“Relax dear, your father spoke to the Hokage and he has made an exception. Due to your incapacitated state, the Hokage has decided that you’ve done well enough in your studies so far to give you a private tutor.” mom said, trying to reassure me.

“That’s good. I didn’t care what team I was on as long as I didn't have to go back to the academy. What about Naruto? Did he pass?” I asked, as I relaxed.

“Yes, Naruto and his team passed their test. Much to everyone's surprise. They are the first team Kakashi has ever passed.” mom told me. 

Well I guess I wouldn’t be able to taunt Naruto with him being at the academy. First thing I'd do when I got out would be to go celebrate with him.

“Thanks mom, but if you don’t mind I'm gonna go back to sleep. Despite how it looked, I didn't actually get a nice rest.” I said to her.

“No worries dear. By the way, what is your name anyway?” mom said as she turned to my Demon.

“Xorrion. I am a Void Lord, mother to my master” Xorrion said.

“Good to know. From the sounds of it you’re going to be part of our lives for quite some time. Please keep her safe on her journeys.” mom said.

“Always, you don’t even need to ask” Xorrion Said to her as she left. His eyes glowing brightly.

“Xorrion; now that we’re alone, let me fill you in on the current situation '' I told him. Losing any of my child-like demeanor.

11