Chapter 17: Preliminaries
264 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Congratulations for passing the second phase of the Chunin Exams" Anko said to everyone.

"Nice, it looks like everyone passed" Naruto said to Sakura and Sasuke.

I was currently standing next to Kiba, with Shikamaru behind me. I could hear Akamaru whimpering, and I kinda felt for the pup. I didn't know what he'd gone through, but something happened during this exam that must have really freaked him out.

"Hey Kiba… Is akamaru alright?" I asked

"Uhhh, yeah. We just saw something we shouldn't have" he said.

"Would he let me touch him?" I questioned.

"That's up to him, and you'd need to ask" Kiba said cautiously.

Why the caution? I don't think I'd ever done anything to them. Though granted, I supposed it made sense, he was freaked out and didn't know me all that well. I wanted to make Akamaru feel better, for some reason he and Kiba reminded me of a Hunter friend I used to have. Her and her animal companion were inseparable.

"Hey there Akamaru, you doin' alright?" I asked, offering my hand up to sniff.

Surprisingly he tried to back away, but since he was inside Kiba's jacket, that wasn't happening. I knew a terrified animal when I saw one, even a highly intelligent one like Akamaru. I wanted to make him feel better, but clearly, that wasn't going to happen right now.

"Man, he must really be spooked." I commented.

"Yeah it wasn't good" Kiba said, strangely subdued for what I knew of him.

'Your massive fucking chakra doesn't help either' Kiba thought to himself

Well, Akamaru wasn't going to get any better with me shoving my hand in his face, so I backed off for now. For the first time since coming to this world, I was feeling homesick. I was glad I had been born into the Nara clan, but sometimes I wish it had been the Inuzuka clan I'd been born into. I loved animals almost as much as I loved my demons. It was probably why one of my best friends had been a Hunter. Well, as close to a best friend as a 600 year old cynical elf could have. I put on a good front for people, but it was just that: a front.

"Alright, listen up! The Third Hokage is going to explain the third exam to you all, so pay attention the first time you maggots" Anko said, before turning the floor to the Hokage.

"First I must tell you the true purpose of this exam. It is both to foster friendship between nations, and essentially to show off our strength to other nations. The stronger we are, the more prosperous we shall be. The exams are a chance for ninja to display their skills, potentially having someone hire you to work for them. In a very real sense, this exam will determine your future career as a shinobi." the Hokage explained.

Suddenly, a ninja jumped out from the surrounding ninja, and knelt before the Hokage.

"My lord, before you continue, allow me, Gekko Hayate, proctor of the third exam, to speak first" he said.

"Hmmm, very well" the Hokage allowed.

Turning to the gathered would-be Chunin, he tried to talk, but was interrupted by a fit of coughing. Was he even gonna live to be our proctor?

"Before all of you continue, there's something I'd like all of you to do. Unfortunately, there are too many of you right now, so we have to have a preliminary exam before we can move on to the real one. Those preliminaries will be right now." the coughing man said.

"WHAT?! But we're all exhausted and starving, how are we going to fight in this condition?" Sakura asked.

"That is another part of this exam young miss. On a prolonged mission, you won't have the chance to rest sometimes. *cough cough* Think of this like that. You must be able to fight even when you are beaten, bruised, and hungry. However you do still have the chance to * cough cough * drop out now if you don't think you're in top physical * cough cough* condition" Hayate said, constantly stopping his explanation to cough.

Talk about not being in top physical condition. Dude are you gonna live the next few minutes? Beside me Sasuke started wincing in pain, and Sakura looked very concerned. Naruto just looked confused.

"Sasuke, you've been like this since you got that mark" Sakura said.

"Shut up Sakura" Sasuke said

Mark? A mark was causing him pain? Taking a look at him, I could see him holding his shoulder. Taking a deeper "look" I could feel something not his own there. Interesting. This was the third place I'd seen this chakra. The source of that chakra…. There, the one standing on the stage; with the literal snake eyes. No one thinks that's strange? The only person with snake eyes, and no one says anything? Like yes, the shinobi world is vast and with many different people, but I hadn't anything similar thus far. Then there was the fact that this person's chakra had been put on two people.

Apparently it took the form of a mark on their shoulder, learned from Sasuke. Before I did anything, I needed to confirm my theory. Quickly summoning my Inquisitor's Eye, I sent it over to Anko. This would be another test to see if the strongest person right now in the village could sense my eye. I had a theory that the Byakugan could probably see it, but I was in no hurry to test it. When it reached Anko, I got as close to her shoulder as I could without touching her. Sure enough, there was a mark there too, it looked like three Tomoe that created a circle. From my observations, the mark seemed to have a parasitic effect, slowly embedding itself into the person's chakra network. I had no idea what the side effect of such a thing would be, but it couldn't be good. I doubted that was all it did, but I had no other information to go on right now. While my eye was near Anko, I saw her wince in pain and cover the mark with her hand, just like Sasuke. Was the source of the mark being so close causing both of them pain?

"It's just as I feared" the Hokage said'

What's he talking about?

"What do we do with him?" Ibiki asked.

"Obviously, we take him out of the exam and put a seal on that curse mark, otherwise he will be a danger to everyone around him. He should be dead as it is" Anko said. How the other candidates didn't hear her yelling was beyond me.

"Oh and I suppose he's just going to let you do that huh?" Kakashi asked.

"What other choice do we have? It's either we seal him, or we do nothing and he dies!" Anko said.

"Well, you aren't dead" Kakashi said.

"I'm a special case" she replied, looking away.

"Hmmm, yes, it may be for the best to have him sealed now. It may prevent other issues later. Kakashi, please assist. He will listen to you more than anyone else." the Hokage said.

"You think he'll listen to me?" Kakashi asked.

"I said at least more than someone else" the Hokage said again.

"Very well." he acquiesced.

Before anyone could continue, someone in the crowd raised their hand.

"Yes, what is it?" Coughing guy asked.

"Sorry, but I have to bow out. My body is just too beaten right now" Kabuto said.

Dismissing my demon, I returned to my body, and could hear what was going on. So Sasuke and Anko had a curse on them huh? As a warlock, I specialised in curses, however removing them was not my forte. I needed one of my demons to do it. What to do, what to do? Right now I think I had gained enough control over my abilities to summon another one of my demons, but which one? I needed to think very carefully on which demon I chose. I still wasn't powerful enough to fully show off my skills to the world. I had Xorrion, but for right now he was weak to extreme speed. Thankfully, anyone short of a Jounin was still too slow to overwhelm him.

I needed a new minion, but which one to summon? My options were Wrathguard, Fel Imp, Succubus, Observer, my Dreadstalkers, and finally my Demonic Tyrant. Honestly, right now I didn't have enough chakra to summon my Tyrant or Wrathguard. They were just too massive to pull through the void to this world. If the Wrathguard was twice my height, then the Tyrant was four times my size.

Finally, there were rumours back on Azeroth of ancient Warlocks being able to let their magic take over, and transform themselves into demons for a time. Demon Hunters did something similar, but where demon hunters were melee fighters, warlocks were still demons, but focused on spellcasting. The method for doing this however, was lost to time, so it would have to wait for some time. Xorrion had tinged my chakra with the barest hint of demonic energy, just like my mana had been. Until I had more of my demons summoned over, I would never be able to do the Demon Takeover.

After careful consideration, I settled on summoning my Fel Imp next. He was the easiest demon to bring with me everywhere, given his size and the fact that he could turn invisible. So naturally in non combat situations, he was the demon I had around the most. I'd have to get good at summoning demons rapidly again. In theory once I'd summoned him once, it should be a lot easier the second time. When one summoned demons, you could only have one main demon out at a time, so when I summoned my imp, Xorrion would be stunned for the duration of the summoning. When it was over, he'd go back to his own dimension.

I wasn't sure why I was thinking all this right now… Oh right, Sasuke had a curse on him and I needed a way to get rid of it. If that was the case, the only option I had was the Observer, it had the ability to purge magic, but I had no idea if that would work on chakra. Yeah, I better stick with summoning my imp, Aztog. I had to trust the ninja here had a way to remove it, since there was no guarantee my demon's purge magic would work.

I was taken out of my thoughts by Kakashi pulling Sasuke aside. Apparently they were going to seal his curse now, instead of waiting til later. It sucked, bad, but from what I could see of the curse on his shoulder, it was eating his chakra and supplanting something into Sasuke. It was better to get it done now. Naturally Sasuke was basically kicking and screaming his way out of the arena, like the child he was. Kept saying something about revenge. I looked over to the one I knew had put that thing on him, and the person didn't look happy in the slightest. So. He wanted the curse to remain active for as long as possible then.

"Alright then, we'll now begin the preliminary round. This round will consist of one on one combat, and there are essentially no rules. You are even allowed to kill each other, however I have some authority to stop the match if I deem it impossible for one side to win. After all, while killing is allowed, it would be preferable to allow them to live. Now, let's see which pair will go first. Each pair of names given is completely random." Hayate said.

The panel on the wall lit up with some text, and started scrolling. Presumably it would stop on the two combatants that would fight.

Kari Nara vs. Yoroi Akadō

Interesting. I was up first huh? Well whatever, that meant I could enjoy the rest of the fights. I had a feeling this would be easy, but who knows? I couldn't underestimate my opponent.

"Would the two people who have been chosen first come forward? Everyone else can retire to the balconies to watch the fight." Hayate said.

I stepped forward along with another dude. He had the same outfit as Kabuto, except he had a face covering with sunglasses, so you had no idea who he was underneath.

"Are there any objections?" proctor asked.

"Nah"

"No"

"Well then, once everyone has cleared the area, you may begin" Haytai said.

After everyone started, we wasted no time going at it. He started with coating his hand with chakra; that's it? There had to be more to it. With his other hand he drew some shuriken and threw them at me. This was it. Everyone would know of Xorrion now, mostly. They wouldn't know exactly what he was, or how my ability worked, but they would know I had a defense similar to Gaaras. I drew a Kunai just for show, I didn't need it right now, and as the three shuriken closed in, they were stopped dead in their tracks.

Three separate tendrils shot up from the ground to perfectly block the shuriken, before promptly vanishing, like they were never there. The only evidence something had happened being the ringing sounds the shuriken made when they hit the ground. I could tell the guy was surprised, so I sprinted to close the difference and swung my Kunai at him after enhancing it with chakra.

"Since when could Kari do that?" I heard someone say.

I knew I was weak with Taijutsu, but as those scrolls had said, if that was my weakness, I needed to improve. My attack would have landed at his neck, but he managed to block my hit with his open hand covered in chakra. That wasn't good. Because of my own chakra coated blade, it still managed to cut off his face covering, leaving a line of red across his nose.

"Not bad squirt" the dude said.

"But closing in with me was your biggest mistake" he continued.

I was about to ask him what he was on about, before I found out what he meant. I could feel a slight drain on my chakra. So slight, that if he hadn't said anything I probably wouldn't have noticed.

"You mean that trickle of chakra you're stealing from me?" I asked, and for some reason my question made his eyes go wide. I couldn't see his eyes, but the rest of his face that I could see made it obvious.

"You're bluffing" he said

"Not sure what you mean, but I'd like it if you could stop touching me" I said, asking Xorrion to make it happen.

From between his hand and my skin, was enough of a shadow for Xorrion to emerge from. The violet-black shadows creeped out from under his hand where it grasped my arm, and soon engulfed his hand.

"If you don't let go, you're going to lose your hand." I said coldly. I had warned him.

"Hmph." He said before I felt the drain on my chakra get larger.

"Don't say I didn't warn you. Xorrion, remove it" I said

"Who's Xorrion?" I once again heard someone comment.

Before I finished talking, the shadows covering the guy's hand started to compress, and I could just barely see the circulation getting cut off underneath the shadows. He started panicking, realizing that I was serious. It was too late though, Xorrion had already attached to him. After creating a bit of distance, I heard the loud crunch and scream of the dude, and I knew what was coming. After the shadows detached from him, he was grasping at a stump where his hand used to be. Said hand was now laying on the floor, barely recognisable as a hand.

"You bitch! How dare you!" he said angrily.

"Hey, douchebag, I told you that if you didn't let go you'd lose your hand. Not my fault you wouldn't listen" I said with a sinister grin that didn't belong on the face of a child. As I had come to expect by now, my eyes were glowing, which seemed to happen when I used my warlock-like powers.

Up on the stands, the adults on the stand who saw my grin looked to one another in slight concern. What would I do to this person? They seemed to ask each other.

"I don't care, you're dead now." he threatened, which kind of lost some of its threat with his missing hand.

"You really shouldn't have said that. You're like… what? Twenty five? You're threatening to kill a child. I was going to let you live, but not anymore" I said, continuing with my unnatural smile.

I debated how far to go. I could kill him quickly, but where would be the fun in that? He was going to kill a child after all, it didn't matter that I wasn't actually a child. I also didn't want to freak out the only friends I had into thinking I was a monster. While I could certainly be classified as such, I didn't want the only friends I had to think of me like that. I still had yet to test out my shadow bolt on a living person, but I didn't want to reveal that quite yet in front of so many people. I was already revealing Xorrion after all.

Well, in for a penny, in for a pound as they say.

"Xorrion, you can come out. Kill him for me would you?" I said out loud.

Similar to how I showed him to the Hokage, he appeared again. The shadows around my feet began to darken to Xorrion's shadows, then started roiling as if alive. Well, they were. Slowly, the shadows began to rise from the ground in a swirling mass. The first thing one could see were the purple tinged white eyes, and from those eyes, a shadowy form began to take shape in all his glory. I stood there in the middle of the mass of shadows as they whipped around me as if in a storm, relaxed with my hands in my pockets.

Xorrion had gotten bigger since the last time he fully manifested like this. He now stood about half my height taller than me, enough that he towered over me. His arms dropped down around either side of me to touch the floor as the rest of his body stood above my head and trailed behind me. Essentially a cage of protective shadows. His black with crimson trimmed armor striking a menacing appearance, more so than he already did.

"What the fuck is that?" my opponent said.

"Do not concern yourself with that, human. You have threatened my master's life, and therefore you will die this day" Xorrion said, his unnaturally deep voice reverberating in your chest as he talked with a raspy quality you'd expect of the wind, or shadows. He could, of course, turn that off if he wanted to, but he only did that when he was relaxed, and it was just us talking.

-

"Kakashi, what is that thing?" Guy asked

"The only thing I know is that Kari accidentally summoned it while trying to summon a different creature" he replied,

"She summoned that all by herself?" Sakura asked in disbelief. Her insecurities rearing their head after her experience with the fight when Sasuke was unconscious.

"Yes, I suspect it was why she was allowed to do self study instead of have a Sensei. She doesn't need one, all she needs is resources" Kakashi explained.

"Wait, Kari doesn't have a Sesnei?" Naruto asked.

"Nope, she learned all she knows on her own." Kakashi said, with some amazement.

"That might be so Kakashi, but she will never beat my team. They've been training non stop as well" Guy said boasting about his team.

"Sorry, did you say something?" Kakashi asked, turning to look at Guy.

-

After fully forming, Xorrion wasted no time and went after my opponent. Xorrion's basic attack had a life stealing quality to it, and it was time to test it out. It was called Consuming shadows, and it would hit everything nearby while draining the life from the targets hit. He hadn't been using it until now since I had no idea how it would react to chakra, instead of life force. On Azeroth the two were separate, so you could drain health without draining mana. However chakra was connected to your health; would draining health also drain chakra? Only one way to find out.

Xorrion didn't take long to get to the guy, and promptly grabbed him as I had instructed mentally. I had apologized to him for what was about to happen, but he seemed unconcerned. Naturally my opponent tried draining the chakra from Xorrion, which naturally did nothing since he didn't have chakra. Next the guy tried stabbing Xorrion with his Kunai, and again not much appeared to happen. I however knew that Xorrion had taken a very slight amount of damage, enough for our purposes to try out his attack.

I couldn't tell exact chakra levels, so I couldn't know for sure how much Xorrion's attack had drained, but I think it was a good quarter of it? So not only did the guy get physical injuries, he also lost some of his chakra. I don't know what Xorrion did with the chakra, but… nevermind. I could feel the link between us swell a bit, and I could feel a small amount of the chakra the guy had drained refill just a tiny bit. Man it was almost not even worth it to do that, since most of the chakra was lost on its way to me. But hey, every little bit counted.

"Xorrion, stop playing with him and just kill the poor fool already." I said dismissively. I started walking towards the stairs to where I saw Kiba. I still wanted to pet Akamaru. I'd had the urge to do so since I saw those four in the tower before everyone arrived. He was just so adorable.

"Hey where are you going?" the proctor said.

"This fight is over. That dude is about to die" I told Hayate.

As if to punctuate my words, there was a scream coming from my opponent. Everyone looked over to see Xorrion's claws buried into the man's chest.

'Drain every last bit of his chakra to replenish what he stole. Only fitting I suppose' I said to Xorrion.

'Yes master' he replied.

I didn't even make it to the stairs before the man was dead.

"W-Winner, Kari Nara" the proctor said. Not even able to stop the fight like he had wanted.

Making it up to where Kiba was, I saw him giving me a wary look.

"What?" I asked, confused.

"You're scary" he said.

"Am i?" I feigned ignorance.

"Yes!" Kiba, Shino, Hinata, Ino, Shikamaru, and Choji all said at once.

As they finished, Xorrion appeared behind me, giving them all a scare. He waved at them before vanishing back into my shadow.

"Kari, why didn't you tell me you had such a powerful creature with you?" Shikamaru asked.

"It never came up. Plus, how was I supposed to explain it? 'Oh by the way guys, look at this cool new summon I got! Isn't he neat?'" I said.

"You may have a point, there wouldn't really be a good time" Asuna said.

We were interrupted by the announcement of the next contestants.

Zaku Abumi vs. Shino Aburame

Like every fight that usually happens, they started with shit talking. 'Surrender' this, 'you're gonna regret it' that. Zaku apparently had his arms broken by sasuke, but I didn't know the details. The fight honestly didn't last very long. Zaku had severely underestimated Shino, the dumbass. Do not underestimate the dedication of someone willing to keep a literal army of bugs inside their body.

Zaku had been so busy trash talking and being creeped out by shino that he had failed to notice the gathering swarm behind him. He had earlier revealed that one of his arms had some ability to function, and when confronted with Shino on one side, and an army on the other, he used his second arm too, which had been fine all along. Trying to attack both enemies at once with his sound waves that came from tubes inside his arms, his arms promptly exploded. Streams of chakra coming out from the new holes in his arms.

Turns out the careful person that Shino was, he had commanded his insects to block off his wind pipes in his hands by stuffing themselves inside. Needless to say, he could no longer continue, and Zaku was carried out by a stretcher. It was a reminder to us all to take every opponent seriously.

The next match was announced almost immediately: Misumi Tsurugi vs. Kankuro

(A/N: If you wish to know more about Kari's demon from World of Warcraft, here is a link: https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Voidwalker I will post links to the other demons as I introduce them)

10