4. I’ll Try To Believe You And Dad This Time
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

During her childhood, Hisaki was actually a bubbly girl who loved to be pampered. Yet, the more she grew up, she became taciturn and more withdrawn.

The thought that her life was dictated by her family made her pessimistic.

While it was true that Hisaki didn't want to be married off to Igarashi Keigo, her tainted view made her think it was just a pointless battle. Her grandfather's plan would always go as he had wished.

At that time, although Hisaki sensed sinister vibes from Igarashi Keigo, she naively thought that things wouldn't get worse.

Who would have thought her nightmare began on her wedding night?

The sadistic maniac didn't let Hisaki go even after she continued begging him. He just laughed and told her off, reminding her that it was a wife's duty to please her husband until he was satisfied.

People might call her cruel but, she was glad when she miscarried Igarashi Keigo's two children.

Now, she won't relive her past abuse.

"Mom, I'll try to believe you and Dad this time," answered Hisaki after a moment of silence.

Mrs. Chisaka looked troubled. Her eyes fell on her daughter's determined gaze. A pang of guilt struck her heart.

On the day Hisaki was born, Old Mr. Chisaka hurled insults at Mrs. Chisaka for giving birth to a girl. The old man didn't allow her husband to help her during the confinement period.

Fortunately, her fainted-heart husband defied his father although there were times he got beaten. If not, Mrs. Chisaka might grow to hate her own husband.

Old Mr. Chisaka often threw his rage at the little Hisaki. When Hisaki wanted to continue her study after receiving a good college scholarship, the old man berated her, saying it was just a waste of time.

Mrs. Chisaka nervously looked at the closed door. She whispered, "Hisaki, we know that we've been disappointing you. No matter what, we won't sell you off to that man."

Among all the maidens of the little town, Hisaki was one of the prettiest. If not for her enchanting beauty and calm temperament, Igarashi Keigo wouldn't have such thoughts about her.

Hisaki nodded. Under Mrs. Chisaka's surprise gaze, she moved forward and embraced her.

"Mom, I hope you and Dad won't continue living like this. You're getting older. Don't you want to live in peace?"

Mrs. Chisaka was dumbfounded by the sudden hug. Tears stung her eyes as she heard her daughter's words. Overwhelmed by her feelings, Mrs. Chisaka returned the embrace.

She didn't remember the last time Hisaki initiated a hug to her.

"...let's get you out of here first."

Hisaki just hummed. She decided to drop the matter for the time being. It was enough to instill the idea in her mother first.

In her previous life, Hisaki's parents remained in this house even after her grandfather passed away due to a stroke in his late 80s.

Hisaki heard from her brother that the situation at home was intense. Their parents only started living in peace after the passing of the old man.

Why should they wait until the end?

Mrs. Chisaka exited the room. Hisaki had already told her that she would go to see Igarashi Keigo later in order to appease Old Mr. Chisaka. The concerned mother reminded her to be careful.

Hisaki took the phone. It was a black-and-white screen one without a camera. Despite looking a bit old with a few scratches on its body, it was still well functioning.

The technology of this era was so far behind. Hisaki only managed to buy this phone after working nonstop at a traditional restaurant in the middle of this town. It cost her quite a lot. She only had a few contacts on her phone.

"She should still be at home now."

Hisaki changed her clothes to a more presentable ones. She didn't have many choices because her grandfather hated it whenever her parents bought her something new.

After putting on a light cardigan over her strap summer dress, Hisaki took her phone and purse with her. Before going to see Igarashi Keigo, she wanted to make a stop at a place first.

"You haven't gone there? Do you want me to drag you out first? What are you doing still dawdling here?"

Hisaki suppressed her anger when suddenly Old Mr. Chisaka mocked her again. The old man was watching TV in the living room. She had to walk past him in order to go to the entryway.

"I'm going now, Grandfather," answered Hisaki quietly.

She kept her head down and quickened her pace. In no time, she reached the front door.

"Huh! It's great that you've come to your senses! Don't make Young Master Igarashi unhappy!"

Hisaki frowned. She quickly closed the door and rushed out of the small yard.

The Chisaka family had lived in this town since her great-grandfather's generation.

They had a small shop selling food and beverages opposite the middle school. Although the profits were not much, the money was still enough to let them have three meals a day and even have a considerable amount of savings.

But, early this year, their business encountered a problem with the landlord of the building. They also had a problem with the supply of stocks.

Igarashi Keigo helped their family solve them in exchange for their marriage.

Her grandfather had long been dreaming of having a rich and capable grandson-in-law. He had been ecstatic ever since the man gave the proposal.

"Even without any evidence, I know that he's the one manipulating everything," murmured Hisaki under her breath.

Hisaki walked down the road leading to an intersection. She glanced around her and found a sense of nostalgia seeping into her heart.

If not for her family's situation, Hisaki had to admit this town was actually a decent and peaceful one to live in despite being on the poor side.

Her step stopped midway. She stared down at her feet.

There was uncertainty brimming within her. Hisaki was actually afraid this was all a dream.

If she was to wake up alone in their home with him gone, she didn't think she could handle the disappointment. It might crush her heart altogether.

"It's alright. This is true... I've returned to the past. I can change our lives."

Hisaki chanted the same words a few times. She reminded herself of the stinging wound on her forehead.

All this was real.

It was possible for her to not be entrapped in a hell-like marriage.

It was possible to prevent her old man from being imprisoned.

Everything was possible.

Hisaki rushed to her first destination. She ignored the sweltering heat of summer.

After walking for fifteen minutes, she saw a two-story house sitting between two traditional houses. Hisaki walked past the gate, directly going to the front door.

This was her best friend's abode.

Hisaki pressed the doorbell twice. Not long after, she heard the sound of footsteps rushing to the door.

"Who's there?"

Hisaki's eyes lit up. It was her friend's mother!

"Aunt Masayo, it's me, Hisaki!" replied Hisaki excitedly.

A middle-aged woman opened the door. A smile instantly curled on her lips. She looked pleased to see Hisaki.

"Hisaki, are you looking for Mari? She's in her room. Come inside."

"Hehe, thank you, Aunt. Sorry for the intrusion."

Aunt Masayo made small talk with Hisaki before urging her to go upstairs. She promised to bring a cold glass of barley tea for her.

Hisaki walked up the staircase. She knew this place like the back of her hand. Since her childhood, this was one of the few places she loved to go whenever she wanted to hide from her grandfather's eyes.

There was a room at the end of the hallway. Hisaki's heart pounded heavily as she got closer to the door. Without her realizing it, her eyes began to brim with tears.

She was really here, right?

Hisaki took a deep breath. She knocked on the door twice.

"Mari, are you inside? It's me."

A voice tinged in surprise echoed from the inside.

"Hisaki? Ah, wait a minute!"

Once the door was opened, a girl appeared in front of Hisaki.

Mari broke into a smile, "Hey! Do you miss me? We've met yester..."

Mari's words were cut short when suddenly Hisaki jumped to hug her. The former was shocked especially when she heard sobs coming from her friend.

"Hey, hey, Hisaki, what's wrong? Did something happen at home again? Hey, don't cry ah..."

Despite Mari frantically coaxing her, Hisaki couldn't stop the sudden outburst of her tears.

Thank goodness...

Mari was still alive and well.

0