Vol. 1 Chapter 040: Labor Issues
165 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

From 1888, Bulgaria started the five-year plan, and the railroad was the top priority. Both in the era of Stambolov's government and Ferdinand's era, no matter how the situation in the country changed, they did not interfere with the standard construction of the railway.

To ensure the smooth completion of the railroad plan and save money, during the period of Stambolov, they began to send criminals to work sites as hard labor.

Stambolov's Cabinet let the police run amok at first to crack down on rivals. Then, in later stages, to raise funds, and not without the intention of finding a group of cheap labor.

With the start of the vindication work, many wrongful and unjust cases of the Stambolov era were investigated and cleared. As a result, many innocent people were released. However, the railroad works were now facing the dilemma of lack of labor.

Although Bulgaria is not called a vast area, but it is a fact that the population is sparse. Before, many farmers went bankrupt, but due to the progress of industrialization, it has almost been absorbed.

In the case of the options available, few people are willing to work on the railroad, even though railroad workers give a better deal.

However, the railroad project in the late 19th century is equal to the death project. It is normal to get killed in a workplace accident. Even if someone is forced to make a living, they are not doing it and have a slight chance to find another way to make a living.

Konstantin is now worried. There are not enough workers. Even though he has sent all the criminals to the site, the gap in manpower is still serious!

Without machines, the era when it was all on the shoulders and backs, hard labor was essential. To be completed on time, the engineers gave a shocking figure of at least 50,000 laborers.

When they reported this number, Konstantin was stunned. It meant that there was now a shortage of 40,000 laborers.

Bulgaria now has just over three million people. It isn't easy to put together so many railroad workers. But, since there is no way out, it will have to continue to be reported.

Chekhov, who was on duty in the Cabinet, received an unexpected guest. Konstantin came and brought the engineer with him.

It was confusing for Chekhov to see Konstantin and his group and asked in wonder, "Konstantin, what is going on?"

Konstantin couldn't care less about bringing up the family business and got straight to the point, saying, "Mr. Chekhov, the main reason I came to see you today is the railroad issue."

Chekhov asked seriously, "Is there something wrong with the railroad project?"

"No!" Konstantin affirmed.

Chekhov's suspended heart relaxed and said, "God forbid, it's good that nothing happened!"

"But it's worse than that!" Unfortunately, Konstantin's next sentence confused Chekhov again.

"What is it?" Chekhov asked.

"It's better to let the engineer talk to you!" said Konstantin with trouble.

Chekhov said glumly, "Well, it's the same for anyone who says so!"

Chief Engineer Lorun Kholman said with a stern face, "Your Excellency, the railroad project is going well, but we have a big problem!"

When Chekhov heard this, he was even more confused. Since everything was going well, what kind of trouble could there be? So he at once asked, "What big trouble?"

Lorun Kholman replied flatly, "We lack enough labor!"

Chekhov's heart dropped, and he asked, "How much is lacking?"

Lorun Kholman calmly said, "To ensure successful finish, at least another 43,000 laborers are needed. At the same time, the project budget should be increased by fifty percent!"

"What? How is this possible? Is this too far from the original plan?" Chekhov said with disbelief.

"Mr. Chekhov, please trust our expertise! These are the results of our actual calculations after the actual measurements by our technicians!" Lorun Kholman said cautiously.

Chekhov, who still couldn't believe it, asked in confusion, "Sorry, Mr. Lorun, I'm not questioning your expertise, but this gap is too big!"

"For this, I can only say sorry. At that time we had not estimated the situation of transportation in Bulgaria enough. While we were building the railroad, we had to put a lot of manpower to build the road first. Also, the work of construction in the Rila Mountains was more difficult than imagined!" Lorun Kholman explained.

After hearing Lorun's words, Chekhov's face turned pale. He knew that this was really a big problem, a big problem that was beyond the Cabinet's ability to solve.

Only Chekhov said with a bitter smile, "God forbid! Konstantin, you have really brought a big trouble!"

"Chekhov, I don't want to either!" Konstantin said with a dilemma.

The trouble is too big, so big that they will not complete the five-year plan. It is also an important factor in whether Ferdinand can reshuffle the interim Cabinet.

Chekhov thought about it and decided to report it to Ferdinand. He was now no longer optimistic that they could complete the railroad plan successfully. With the current situation in Bulgaria, in any case, it is impossible to get together so many laborers in a short time.

Ferdinand, who had just had some time to spare, enjoyed the dance in the royal palace. Several maidens of beauty were showing off to their heart's content with costumes that Ferdinand himself designed.

It was clear and transparent, rippling on the top, the bottom swept the long legs and tempted by the full measure of beauty that Ferdinand didn't mind a daytime erotic.

However, it was not the first time Ferdinand had caught a dancer and was about to go further. Of course, Alisa came in with a shy face and said, "Your Highness, Mr. Chekhov and Mr. Konstantin are here. They brought three strangers with them!"

Ferdinand said with some displeasure, "I see, I'll be right over!" Ferdinand let go of the woman in his arms. When he looked at the shy Alisa, he suddenly smiled badly, scaring Alisa to run away.

Ferdinand was still decent in his previous life as a bachelor just after traversing, though the aristocratic life soon corrupted him. While not yet to the point of abuse. At least, there is at least the meeting of the aristocrats who have no protection. Ferdinand, who is afraid of the disease, has not involved, and of course, there is no lack of women around him.

When he thought of the business, Ferdinand decided to let Alisa go for once and hurried towards the main hall.

When he saw Chekhov and the others, Ferdinand, who was in a bad mood, did not give them a chance to speak. Since Ferdinand's men had invited Lorun Kholman in the first place, he had met him once, so he knew what was going on as soon as he saw him. He asked directly, "You are all here, but what is wrong with the railroad project?"

Chekhov, seeing Ferdinand in a bad mood, dared not pretend and at once said, "God willing, everything is going well with the railroad project, but now we are short of laborers!"

"Oh!" Ferdinand answered and waited for the details. Of course, the lack of labor to build the railroad was typical and not surprising. But it was not normal to come to him with this bit of problem.

Chekhov thought about it and went on stiffly: "According to Lorun's engineer's calculations, we now need at least another 43,000 laborers to finish the project on schedule smoothly!"

After hearing this figure, Ferdinand said in disbelief: "What? Are you kidding me? You still need that much labor?"

4