Vol. 1 Chapter 096: Betrothal
169 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ferdinand likely did not expect that they collected many small things he had done from his childhood to growing up into a thick book of information placed in front of Aleksandr III.

The Russian Empire's intelligence system is not poor, so it's a good idea to ask about these things that are not very secret. It should not be so much required for authenticity, as long as more or less on the line.

Aleksandr III looked at Ferdinand's affair history in recent years and said with a frown on his face, "It's so unusual for a monarch instead of governing the country properly, he actually kept a group of courtesans in the royal palace who spend all day in frolic and pleasure, fooling around, not thinking about progress, and doing anything wrong..."

Well, due to the improper private life, all of Ferdinand's merits are just blithely erased here, slapped with a hat of lust and immorality.

Mariya Fyodorovna has also frowned upon it. They know all about the corruption of the aristocracy. In the case of Ferdinand, who kept several courtesans as part-time maids, it was all minor, and at most, it could only be said to be a bit of frivolity.

However, it is discovered by the future father-in-law and mother-in-law that it will certainly not be using the same set of criteria. The good thing is, in the current situation in Europe, Ferdinand had very few contenders. As for private life, both of them are aristocrats. Who can be purer than who? If one does not keep a few lovers, how can one say that he is a knight of honor?

"Compared to the former ones, these are minor problems. At least now, Ferdinand does not have illegitimate children! It's just a matter of time for Xenia to restrain him. Now it's better to arrange for them to meet first!" Mariya Fyodorovna reassured herself.

Aleksandr III also sighed deeply, so yes! 'No fear of not knowing the goods, but fear of comparing the goods!' While Ferdinand has many problems, compared to several others, these are minor, in terms of ability in the same age, can also be regarded as the best.

For example, one of the candidates, 'King Aleksandar I of Serbia', is a miserable fool in terms of personal ability, as proven by the chaos of Serbia. He is said to have fallen in love with a court lady and is ready to marry her as the queen. Who cares if it's true or not? Since the rumors have been spread, one should come out to dispel the rumors!

Also, for example...

In contrast, Aleksandr III's mood is much better. Ferdinand is not without merit. At least the ability to govern is well known, and his political skills can be called the world's first-class.

The single man went to a foreign country to become a monarch. It took him only two years to turn the tide and take back the power from the powerful ministers, and also completed the reform of Bulgaria with great success.

At the same time, it was also perfect for throwing the blame on the former regime. The blame is for others to carry, and the credit is indeed firmly in Ferdinand's hands. From these aspects to open, Ferdinand is indeed a competent monarch.

He would have been shocked if Ferdinand knew what Aleksandr III had to say about him. Since the traverse, one must know that he had always practiced low-profile actions and tried not to draw attention to himself. At that point, even if it was a planned power grab, he only hid behind it to push and make the best of the situation. As a result, Aleksandr III guessed it by virtue of his keen political sense.

"Alright then! If Xenia doesn't have any issues, let's arrange for them to meet first! Let's talk about the rest later!" Aleksandr III said in a gloomy voice.

"Yes, I will arrange it!" said Empress Mariya Fyodorovna with some headache.

Xenia's age has come, and they can no longer delay marriage. If there is no spouse with equal status, it does not matter if a man waits until 30 or 40 years old to get married. However, women can not. Once the age has reached it, one must consider marriage, or else other aristocrats will shame them.

Of course, as a Grand Duchess of the Russian Empire, there is no way that she will not be able to marry. In fact, a few years ago, there was an endless line of marriage proposals, and Ferdinand was one of them, although he did not know it yet. In order to select a suitable son-in-law from among so many later candidates, Queen Marie Feodorovna also took great pains. The thick pile of information about Ferdinand was not easy to get in a short time.

Ferdinand was able to escape from inducement, except for his obvious born, personal ability and ethics is also won over several competitors. However, this is a stricter era, and Ferdinand's victory was not based on his own character but on his terrible competitors.

Ferdinand, who was frozen like a dog, is still hiding in the warmth of his bedroom. He knows that the purpose of this visit is so crucial that he wisely kept his distance from the courtesans and did not look for a woman in St. Petersburg.

Alright, Ferdinand admitted that he was a wimp! Many people visited their parents-in-law's house in the previous life, which is not a rule? Not to mention that the father-in-law is now a powerful tsar. If you annoy him, you do not want to lose your life.

As time passes, the bored Princess Clémentine, who has barely adapted to life in St. Petersburg in order to pass the time, goes out to have a social life, leaving Ferdinand alone in the torment to spend his days like years.

As for taking the initiative to go out and 'socialize', it was too awkward for Ferdinand, who was a geek, to do so, other than the unavoidable invitations, Ferdinand stayed at home for half a month in St. Petersburg.

When Christmas arrived, Ferdinand finally met his future wife, the Grand Duchess Xenia, at a grand Christmas feast. She was an exquisite girl, which was Ferdinand's first impression.

Beautiful hair draped over the body, like a stream of small brown waterfalls rippling with golden light.

While European women are a bit more maturing, Grand Duchess Xenia is not very old and still slightly shy, but she is already starting to take shape, not much away from the waves. When coupled with the graceful and noble manner, you will become the center of attention wherever you go.

As soon as the feast was over, Empress Mariya Fyodorovna took Grand Duchess Xenia by the hand and asked with concern, "Xenia, how are things going for you?"

"How about what?" Xenia said shyly.

"Asking you how Ferdinand is, of course. Is my precious sister happy?" At the back, Nikolai said teasingly.

... (30,000 words omitted)

Besides a quick pass at the feast, Ferdinand also attended a few balls with Xenia, kind of dating. Ferdinand is not very good in terms of male and female relationships, and Grand Duchess Xenia is similar. The common topic between the two is shallow!

After that, Ferdinand and the Grand Duchess Xenia got engaged in St. Petersburg. The marriage between aristocrats does not give so much time for developing feelings. As long as both sides do not hate each other, they are a good pair.

2