4 – The Battle of Lammoth (1)
139 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There was once a time when I would have never believed if one claimed that elements were alive.

How could they be? Life meant will and thought and movement of their own, elements did not show such qualities.

Yet Fire was alive, I could feel it. A heartbeat pulsating outwards. Its will was to dance, its desire to eat, its movement to burn. The most versatile of things, it was.

And I could shape it to my will, of course, within certain limits which I had yet to discover.

Any shape, any form, it could take... What a terrible weapon it could be.

And I was on a terrible battlefield. So a weapon it was.

After I slew the orc, rational thought returned to my mind.

'How reckless!' I exclaimed inwardly and quickly hid behind a frozen boulder.

What I had done was the same as seeking suicide, going into deadly combat with no experience due to the influence of adrenalin. One careless move and I would have died!

The realization of it made me curse my stupidity, but then again, I thought over the combat and recalled it was rather enjoyable for some reason. Especially the feeling of victory.

My senses screamed to dodge, and I did move my legs, an arrow found its way between them.

I paled a little then looked up to see an orc charging toward me. This time, I wasn't overwhelmed at all. Realizing that this orc was smaller than the previous one made me feel confident.

I easily dodged its axe and extended my hand, the moment my palm grew close to his face, I willed the heat I felt within my heart to pour out again. I guided it with my imagination.

Flames blasted forth from my palm all over the orc. It tried to chop my hand with its axe, I managed to block it with my sword and backed away.

The orc cried in agony as it burned.

I saw two others coming close, I was not going to engage in close combat against 2 enemies, I was not reckless enough to try that. Despite what the stories say, it is extremely difficult fighting several enemies at once, especially for an untrained person.

I tried to throw a fireball. The orcs quickly stopped moving and retreated when they saw it, they had seen their comrade fall to it before; They were not going to risk getting hit.

To my disappointment, the fireball was extinguished after it reached midway, roughly 13-15 feet.

I quickly understood that the range that my fire could travel was not very far, and the cold was not helping either.

Both the orcs smiled in glee and took out bows, I didn't panic.

'To increase the range, I have to make it hotter and faster...' I thought and an idea quickly came to me.

I aimed my index fingers towards the orcs, and two fireballs formed in front of them, I made it as small as possible, very dense.

They grew much hotter than the previous one, and so I willed the to move.

As fast as arrows launched from a bow, they arrived in front of the orcs. One of them managed to dodge out of the way, the other one, however, was hit in the shoulder.

Flames exploded and consumed the upper body of the orc, turning it to ash in a manner of seconds, his lower body fell to the icy ground. I was shocked by my power.

As I dodge the arrow of the surviving orc, I felt a small pain in my head. At first, I thought I was hit by something, but then I realized it was coming from within.

'I am weak, magically...' I realized and charged with my sword.

Since the enemy had taken out his bow and didn't expect me to come close range, he couldn't take out his axe in time and with a single slash, was cut in two.

The feeling of cutting flesh with a razor-sharp sword was a strange one, I neither disliked it nor liked it. However, it was rather satisfying in some sick and twisted way.

I saw more coming towards me, 'Just how many are there?! When will it end?!!' I thought in extreme frustration and prepared to fight. Since I understood my magical power was limited, I knew I had to use it cleverly with a strategy, this was the main reason for my frustration. Without noticing myself, I was not nervous or afraid in the slightest.

What I didn't know was that I was practically in the middle of the battlefield, very close to the heart of the enemy army, and that was why so many orcs were around me.

Three came from the left, two from the right, and one from the front. I looked back and saw the familiar boulder, I couldn't escape.

I planned for a second then ran to my front, my free hand rose and fire came to life around it, I blasted it to my left, causing the three to back away and bought a few seconds.

I jumped to the side, evading the mace of the lone orc, and slashed at his arm, I had anticipated his movement. I was getting used to combat and clearly saw his open guard.

His arm and mace flew off as black blood splattered, I didn't linger, slashing at his head and then beheading the orc.

I had no time to rest as the rest were coming, I blocked the sword of one of the orcs from my right and then ran away. They chased after me.

I ran as fast as I could, easily gaining on them, there was no way they could catch up to me with this body. It was very agile and strong despite being frail, a strange contrast.

The more I ran, the more the number of orcs grew and less the elves, I couldn't turn around either since they were chasing me from there.

I gulped and slowly realized that I was slowly digging my own grave. If I stopped or turned around, I would die. If I ran forward, I would eventually find myself in the heart of the enemy army and die. There was no winning.

It was quite a dilemma.

I looked to my right and left, in every direction many orcs were fighting elves, this was the only chance.

I jumped over a few corpses as I ran and turned left, moving in between elves and orcs. The orcs chasing me didn't follow, they attacked other elves.

I sighed in relief and checked my surroundings, my face froze. Enemies were everywhere...

I was surrounded. Worst of all, I saw a huge orc with two massive bloody hammers in his hands. He was the commander of the orcs.

I smiled harmlessly, my hand in the air as a sign of surrender, "Maybe we can talk?" I said slowly as I backed away.

Dozens upon dozens of eyes watched my movement, but no one moved.

The commander laughed and all of them began walking close, I backed away a little faster, they became faster too.

The sound of battle cries and clashing blades to my back was enough for me to know other elves were there, I had to get back!

Suddenly my back hit something, or rather, someone's back. I turned and saw a youthful elf's face that looked haggard due to battle yet he had an excited expression. We had turned our heads at the exact same time.

We only looked at each other for a second before each saw the scenery behind the other. I saw only orcs were to my back, turning my head back to my front made me lock eyes with the orc commander.

We were completely surrounded.

'Damn it!' I thought as my expression grew solemn, trying to find a way out. At least there was someone else with me, having my back.

Suddenly I heard laughter from my back, it was the elf.

"What an exciting battle, come! I shall slay you all! Know you fell to the blade of Argon, son of Fingolfin, foul orcs!" He shouted to all the orcs, enraging them. He seemed excited!

My heart nearly leaped out of my mouth as I almost fell to the ground, 'Argon?! Argon?!! Damn it, he is supposed to die here! I have to run away or I might share the same fate!'

Argon let out a battle cry and charged forward without any plan!

The situation did not look good... 'This fellow is not reliable at all!'

'I am going to die...' I thought.

8